Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Good Systemic Herbicides

• 13-06-2013 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know any good systemic total hebicide as I Have a large hedge thats fully established and grown in between my garden and my neighbour and there is a thorny weed that is growing in between the roots of the hedge meaning its out of reach apply any specific herbicide to the roots.However the branches and leaves are edging into my garden.So is there a suitable hebicide to apply to the leaves in order to kill the entire plant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭1100010110

(gly)phosphate glove technique? Get some roundup in a jar/dish and a pair of thick rubber gloves on your hands, dip gloved hands in roundup and rub onto the leaves of the plant you want to kill. They have also launched a product last year like a deodorant stick which serves the same purpose, it's name escapes me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭carlowplayer

nice the thing is its a very tall weed/plant over 6 foot high so id probably have to use alot of weedkiller possibly in a spray can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

my mum killed off japenese knotweed with a plastic bag and some roundup..
    Put a little of the roundup into the shopping bag which had no holes, enough to wet it and have a little running round in the bag.....

Gathered some good long stems witout cutting them off.. Stuffed the ends into the bag, as much of the plant as possible.. tie the opening of the bag round the stems so that the plant is in constant contact with the weedkiller..shake and squeeze the bag to ensure good coverage. Always wear gloves and eye protection mixing and using chemicals.

Now, as with all systemic killers. Don't be tempted to make a reas strong mix "to do a good job". This is actually counterproductive as it will kill the part of the plant it has been applied to without circulating through the plant and killing the root. Mix the roundup as directed. We use it for pasturland weeds and a 100:1 mix (100 parts water to 1 part roundup) (actually we use Gallup, which is roundup's cheap cousin) is economical and very effective, but the full kill can take 6-8 weeks.

got round up bioactive 1L.So would a 1% soultion 99ml water 1ml round up be sufficient? or 5%(5ml round up and 95ml)?

got round up bioactive 1L.So would a 1% soultion 99ml water 1ml round up be sufficient? or 5%(5ml round up and 95ml)?

5% will work.. but 1% works too, it just takes a little longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭1100010110

think it's a 2% concentration listed on the bottle, 100ml per 5Lt (1:50)

Also does anyone know where i can buy potassium nitrate or any good reliable tree stump killer that i can buy here in ireland or online

Suppose I'll be banned for saying "drill it and pour in some diesel" :o
    Thats what we've done and it works a treat.. Works on full sized trees too.

the problem is the stump is near an oil resovoir so diesel is not a good idea

the problem is the stump is near an oil resovoir so diesel is not a good idea

Don't burn it.
    But if you drill a few deep holes and fill them with diesel, just leave the diesel and the stump will die off.

• Advertisement

the diesel will just rot the wood?how long will it take?

We had two stumps with fresh whips sprouted. Took off the fresh growth so it was back to just the stump again.
    Drilled half dozen holes and fill with diesel, covered to keep rain off the diesel.
    It just never sprouted again. No real idea how long, but it died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

... any good reliable tree stump killer that i can buy here in ireland or online

Hammer in a few copper nails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Killing stumps..... drill em and pour in SBK brushwood killer.

The weed in the hedge just spray it with roundup/gallup/any proprietary glyphosate basded herbicide, being careful not to touch the foliage of the hedge, if you do then just wash off the overspray fairly quickly.

Roundup et al won't affect the woody stems of the hedge.

And you don't mean pottasium nitrate, you mean sodium chloride or I assume and no it is no longer available.

The potassium nitrate would make the tree grow many feet taller than normal.

is there any cheaper homemade alternatives to the SBK Brushwoodkiller other than diesel?

Hammer in a few copper nails.

That would be handy...

is there any cheaper homemade alternatives to the SBK Brushwoodkiller other than diesel?

Sorry, I thought you wanted something that works not cheaper....if you could still get creosote that would be one option but obviously most of the homegrown options would involve high levels of contaminants going into the ground.

the problem is its an old stump so there is probably no sap to translocate any diesel or chemicals.Should i get a tree stump mower.Possible i could just hollow out the stump and plant some plants/flowers in it.its fairly big so what could i use to hollow it out or remove it entirely in its current state

the problem is its an old stump so there is probably no sap to translocate any diesel or chemicals.Should i get a tree stump mower.Possible i could just hollow out the stump and plant some plants/flowers in it.its fairly big so what could i use to hollow it out or remove it entirely in its current state

You could rent a mini digger and dig it out or the cheaper option could be to phone a local tree surgeon who offers stump grinding, they should do it for no more than €100ish

• Advertisement

Or do it yourself with a chainsaw.

I sprayed a 10% solution of round up systemic herbicide to the weeds that were growing in between the hedges in my garden.
    some of them have foliar damage after one day im wondering could the large hedging be permantly and also can the herbicide travel through the cuticle or do they have to be sprayed on the underside(would the cuticle prevent absortption) as some have yet to show some damage.Is a 10% solution too much?

I sprayed a 10% solution of round up systemic herbicide to the weeds that were growing in between the hedges in my garden.
    some of them have foliar damage after one day im wondering could the large hedging be permantly and also can the herbicide travel through the cuticle or do they have to be sprayed on the underside(would the cuticle prevent absortption) as some have yet to show some damage.Is a 10% solution too much?

What are the weeds?

Also what do you mean about the hedging?

Also 10% sounds far too strong to me, the burning of leaves in one day is because you have used to much and it has burnt the foliage before getting to the root, you will need to wait at least 1 month before spraying again now.

Roundup usually takes between 10-21 days to show any effect dependant on the weeds being sprayed.

thought that. ITs a blackberry bush.But can systemic herbicides pass through the cuticle or do they need to sprayed on the underside of the leaf?Im not in a rush to get rid of them so waiting a month isnt a big deal

Yes herbicides can, however, in the case of certain weeds such as Japanese knotweed it is advisable to spray from underneath.

In the case of Bramble/blackberry/briar you really need a different herbicide althogether.

SBK or some other formulation available at your local farmers supply shop should yield results.

Yes but you should also be aware that you have completely gone against the manafacturers advice on dilution rate and also technically could be posing an environmental hazard.

Advertisement