Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**DCG Before/After**

• 13-06-2013 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

Not sure if one exists already lets get all us weirdos together to talk about lines!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Oh I do love lines! I think the DCG Project thread was really our thread. I don't know what way I am for the DCG exam, it really depends on what comes up in Secton B, it could either go good or shockingly bad!

Do we have to line out sheets for the exam by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Line out?

Put a border and title block on them, we call that lining out your sheet :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

kingcobra wrote: »
    Put a border and title block on them, we call that lining out your sheet :pac:

I have nevee done this?

It's on the third slide on this. We do something similar to it and we had to do it on every single one of our sheets since 1st year! So does anybody here actually do this? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

Hoping for a nice planes question just looking for the dihedral angle, and roads is just a godsend !

Daniel7740 wrote: »
    Hoping for a nice planes question just looking for the dihedral angle, and roads is just a godsend !

We got a separate teacher there a couple of months to do roads with us and it's actually so much easier than assemblies, which we were doing originally!

roads are nice yeah.. and no marks going for borders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

When you say roads, do you mean that geologic geometry?
    Drawing the roads are fine, but the rest of it stresses me out, have had 2 teachers telling me 2 different ways to do all the mining etc and they contradict each other, let's just say... I'm not a fan!

Praying for a nice Sec B.
    Did so little drawing while doing the project and still not fully back in the swing of it yet (:eek:) so not sure how I'm fixed, up until the project, I was aiming for the A but at this stage, anything above a C would be grand!

It is a tough subject, I am hoping the bell curve gives us all better grades than we expect because nobody I know is confident!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dizzymenace

It's on the third slide on this. We do something similar to it and we had to do it on every single one of our sheets since 1st year! So does anybody here actually do this? :pac:

no you dont have to line out the sheet . there are no marks allocated to it so it is pointless to do so in the exam .

Thataone wrote: »
    When you say roads, do you mean that geologic geometry?
    Drawing the roads are fine, but the rest of it stresses me out, have had 2 teachers telling me 2 different ways to do all the mining etc and they contradict each other, let's just say... I'm not a fan!

Praying for a nice Sec B.
    Did so little drawing while doing the project and still not fully back in the swing of it yet (:eek:) so not sure how I'm fixed, up until the project, I was aiming for the A but at this stage, anything above a C would be grand!

I did no drawing during the project !!

I think it's an exam that depends on a lot of luck, certainly for me anyway: I could either get an exam of great questions or an exam of bad questions, and with those bad questions there's no way I could figure my way around them as you have to know the method. But from looking at the marking schemes, they don't give a lot of marks for the really challenging parts of the question, if you reproduce the drawing on the exam paper with its dimensions you can get a handsome amount of marks.

And thank f**k the project counts for up to 40% of the marks, it'll help a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 LCstudent17

Im useless, anyone any tips or websites showing how to do questions (Im very good at the actually drawing just not answering)

I was hoping for an A in this but it doesnt look like ill get it now

• Registered Users Posts: 4 deewire1

Anybody now on how best to divide the time?

deewire1 wrote: »
    Anybody now on how best to divide the time?

The way I'm doing it is:

5 minutes to look through exam/spare time
    35 total for Section A
    35 minute per drawing Section B & C

• Registered Users Posts: 4 deewire1

The way I'm doing it is:

35 total for Section A

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Barster

what are the must cover topics do people reckon? for section A and B that is?

Barster wrote: »
    what are the must cover topics do people reckon? for section A and B that is?

I would say definitely ellipses for Section A, oblique plane seems always come up in some form of another. After that I really don't have a clue!

• Advertisement

I would say definitely ellipses for Section A, oblique plane seems always come up in some form of another. After that I really don't have a clue!

kinda at that stage myself nearly too hard to predict , went over all previous exam papers today , Perspective hasnt come up since 2010 so I reckon it could make an appearance?

Any one else really not like perspective ?

I'm fine with it until I get to the auxillary vanishing points :P

Yeah perspective and developments would my weakest topics, to be honest I don't really know anything about developments beyond the basic Junior Cert part of it. It was the last thing we covered in school and I never really went over it properly by myself.

I always seem to have a few lines wrong, so many lines to follow :/

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8vbd3E6tK2U

Understand that much and twill be grand :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

The way I'm doing it is:

35 total for Section A

Are you doing the assembly? Good lord, I'd never get that done in 35 minutes :eek:

curly135 wrote: »
    Are you doing the assembly? Good lord, I'd never get that done in 35 minutes :eek:

Not a hope! I barely got even half of it done during those 35 minutes in the mocks. Fortunately enough we did Geologic Geometry after the mocks so I don't have to do assemblies (Dynamic Mechanisms is my other option)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 noelf918

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrYGmMQ1BX4fPWEe9u3hakw/videos

it's a channel showing step by steps on a couple of different Q's, it doesn't have all of them, but the dihedral angles and skew line demos are good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

Not a hope! I barely got even half of it done during those 35 minutes in the mocks. Fortunately enough we did Geologic Geometry after the mocks so I don't have to do assemblies (Dynamic Mechanisms is my other option)

Ah I see. I need a good hour to do the assembly, so that cuts all my other q's down to about 30 minutes each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭optimus125

Question for anyone who is confident with the geologic geometry.

In HL 2010 roads, there is something going one that I have no clue about... There's a point P at the intersection of roads AB and BC. Does anyone know what this is or where it came from? I can't make any sense of it.

The solution is here if you need to see what I'm talking about - on page 18:
    http://www.examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2010/LC562ALP000EV.pdf

Cheers

Advertisement