Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**DCG Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Hoping Section A will be nice, especially the skew lines. In Section B, I hoping Perspective and Planes and Lamina come up. In Section C, Road Geometry and Hyperboloid are my choices. Didn't bother with Assembly as it's too much effort and takes up a lot of my time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

optimus125 wrote: »
    Question for anyone who is confident with the geologic geometry.

In HL 2010 roads, there is something going one that I have no clue about... There's a point P at the intersection of roads AB and BC. Does anyone know what this is or where it came from? I can't make any sense of it.

The solution is here if you need to see what I'm talking about - on page 18:
    http://www.examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2010/LC562ALP000EV.pdf

Cheers

think that is where the formation level contour meets the road

Are these the only topics that could come up in section B;

perspective, axonometric, planes intersecting, interpenetrations, solids in contact and focal spheres/developments?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭optimus125

think that is where the formation level contour meets the road

Oh right... And then what's the story with the small triangles drawn to either side of P?

They aren't triangles them is part of the curve George

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭mikeyod123

does any know what topics can come up in section B and what topics for section C? im worried in case im leaving something out :P

mikeyod123 wrote: »
    does any know what topics can come up in section B and what topics for section C? im worried in case im leaving something out :P

Same this is what I have for b:
    perspective, axonometric, planes intersecting, interpenetrations, solids in contact and focal spheres/developments

if you don't now what could come up on section C then you're pulling Randy's longhorn mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭mikeyod123

Same this is what I have for b:
    perspective, axonometric, planes intersecting, interpenetrations, solids in contact and focal spheres/developments

if you don't now what could come up on section C then you're pulling Randy's longhorn mate!

They aren't triangles them is part of the curve George

Ah yeah well I know it's part of the curve, but where did they come from?

Ah yeah well I know it's part of the curve, but where did they come from?

The same place all the other points on the curve came from? the construction like?

• Advertisement

The same place all the other points on the curve came from? the construction like?

Alright yeah that's really helpful buddy. Cheers.

Alright yeah that's really helpful buddy. Cheers.

No worries man :-) Any other questions I will gladly help dude, you seem like an intelligent guy.

No worries man :-) Any other questions I will gladly help dude, you seem like an intelligent guy.

Ahahaha, this honestly made me laugh.

What point is there to starting a thread on which we're supposed to help eachother out a bit, when you're just gonna sarcastically state the obvious and be of no use?

Talk to ya in August man.

Ahahaha, this honestly made me laugh.

What point is there to starting a thread on which we're supposed to help eachother out a bit, when you're just gonna sarcastically state the obvious and be of no use?

Talk to ya in August man.

Ah gway I was trying to help you.. ya were being ungrateful... glad I made you lol now can we focus on DCG again?

What pencils are people using for each section and is anyone using pens or colouring pencils?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Suil Eile

Does anybody have a scan/link to a mock paper from this year or any other? The papers don't go back too far since it's a new subject and some new questions would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

What pencils are people using for each section and is anyone using pens or colouring pencils?

I'll stick with the good ol' 5H pencil, and I might use a couple of colouring pencils as well.

kingcobra wrote: »
    I'll stick with the good ol' 5H pencil, and I might use a couple of colouring pencils as well.

5h? woah is that lighter than 2h?? where would you use the colouring pencils? Like is it ok to colour in the shorts and the long q's or are there certain no goes?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Barster

does anybody know do we bring in our own T squares or do the department provide them?

Barster wrote: »
    does anybody know do we bring in our own T squares or do the department provide them?

Your own i believe

• Advertisement

5h? woah is that lighter than 2h?? where would you use the colouring pencils? Like is it ok to colour in the shorts and the long q's or are there certain no goes?

We were always told to use 4H, I just buy 5H anyway! They are lighter than 2H but to be honest it probably doesn't make much of a difference. And to be honest I've no idea when to/not to use a colouring pencil. I just use them to help distinguish between shapes and solids, ie. for the cuts/embankments on geologic geometry, solids in interpenetration and so on. I think I'll only use colouring pencils if I have time at the end of each drawing as looking at the mocks I was pretty tight for time!

And to the poster who asked about t-squares, the department definitely don't provide t-squares but I'd say you could get one from the school!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Yeah the school provides the T-Squares for us. Bit of a hassle for SEC to get couple of thousand t-squares into the schools.

As for the pencil, we've used 2H for the whole time. My teacher wouldn't allow anything else and if you tried to use 3H, he'd know from looking at the lines on the sheet.
    '

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

I've a 4h and a 2h that I normally use.

Not too sure about using colours, used to use those lovely 0.3mm fine tips but they went missing. I always stay away from the coloured pencils though as they're so soft so can be 2mm on the page, if you were to use one 5 times and the pencil line on the page was 2mm wide each time, well you could end up being 10mm out. (i know that's a bit dramatised etc but it's our teacher's warning :p )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

HB all the way.

Since we're discussing drawing equipment, what is people's preferred means of fixing the sheet to the board? :pac: Prefer masking tape over clips myself, I've even gotten used to using sellotape since the paper deosn't move at all with it when you're drawing.

curly135 wrote: »
    HB all the way.

Since we're discussing drawing equipment, what is people's preferred means of fixing the sheet to the board? :pac: Prefer masking tape over clips myself, I've even gotten used to using sellotape since the paper deosn't move at all with it when you're drawing.

Were you joking about HB?

Eh ya I use masking tape always!

I've always used sellotape, does the job really, the only problem I'd have with it is that it ruins the corners of the page but I'm guessing masking tape problem does the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

Were you joking about HB?

Eh ya I use masking tape always!

Not at all, I have a light enough hand when it comes to drawing, so it doesn't end up looking that heavy. :pac:
    kingcobra wrote: »
    I've always used sellotape, does the job really, the only problem I'd have with it is that it ruins the corners of the page but I'm guessing masking tape problem does the same?

Same, suppose at the end of the day the examiner ain't gonna be bothered by a few torn edges, as long as it keeps the sheet from moving all over the place.

Quick question re:2012 C-2 (structural forms).
    Is there an alternative method for finding the curved top in plan?
    When we did it in school we didn't get the question finished as there was absolute war over the rest of the question. (new teacher wouldn't accept my method for part (a) and (c), no one else in the class attempted it. I was right :P )

Pulled up the marking scheme ( http://www.examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2012/LC562ALP000EV.pdf ) and part (b) didn't make sense to me when I tried to draw it out.

Wait, never mind... I found this... http://vimeo.com/62290589

For geo geom. do the tadpoles swim towards the road for an embankment?

• Advertisement

For geo geom. do the tadpoles swim towards the road for an embankment?

We always learnt it as the tadpoles always swim uphill, so yep, towards the road.

Advertisement