Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I bought Taxi-plates, could I rent them out?

Options
  • 13-06-2013 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm just wondering if I bought taxi-plates, one or more, other than use them myself, what could I do with them? can they be rented out without a car?

Thanks
    F:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

This is an interesting question, I know drivers who lend taxi-plated cars to taxi drivers on days they don't work, wonder if that is legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Cars have to meet a specific standard, so a taxi plate is assigned to a particular vehicle. That silly sticker they've all got on the side of the car these days has the plate number on it. So, in short, the answer is No.

jamie72 wrote: »
    This is an interesting question, I know drivers who lend taxi-plated cars to taxi drivers on days they don't work, wonder if that is legal.

As long as the driver has a PSV licence, it's ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Thanks, so it has no value unattached to a car?

AFAIK the plate can still be transferred to another car, but that's a permanent arrangement, and the new car must meet the regulations. So if you could find someone who wanted to use his own car, as long as it was approved, I don't see why you couldn't rent the plate to him. I believe taxi plates cost 5K, and a car and plate is currently rented for about 150 a week. So unless you were really cheap with the rental, I can't see too many takers.
    Bear in mind that there is at least one company selling complete cars and plates for about 15k paid over 2 years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement