Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Applied Maths Before/After**

• 13-06-2013 9:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭

Just thought I may as well start this thread. :P

How do you think you're going to do?

What do you think will come up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Bit early, no? :P
    Sure it's the same questions every year!

Aiming for A1, realistically looking at B1/A2.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MarieCurie22

I am so screwed....We had one class a week for two years and I did the bare minimum. It was an 8th subject so I didnt take it seriously...now Ii wish I had :( last minute tips ideally Id love any sort of B but i want at least a C1??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭mulciber

I am so screwed....We had one class a week for two years and I did the bare minimum. It was an 8th subject so I didnt take it seriously...now Ii wish I had :( last minute tips ideally Id love any sort of B but i want at least a C1??

I'm the exact same. 1 class a week for 2 years and didn't take it seriously. =/

I'm hoping for a pass. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

Anyone feeling overly cocky?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Raeral

Undeadfred wrote: »
    Anyone feeling overly cocky?

Not overly cocky, just very confident :P

• Advertisement

For those 'prove that mew is greater than or equal to x' questions in statics, is it ok to show that mew = x and then just go, 'therefore, mew is greater than or equal to x'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

For those 'prove that mew is greater than or equal to x' questions in statics, is it ok to show that mew = x and then just go, 'therefore, mew is greater than or equal to x'

Yes. Prove the equality first - this is the point at which it is about to slip. For all values of mew greater than this it is stable.

lostatsea wrote: »
    Yes. Prove the equality first - this is the point at which it is about to slip. For all values of mew greater than this it is stable.

Do you have to say any of that though? can you do it without writing anything?

Do you have to say any of that though? can you do it without writing anything?
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭xJEx

Does anyone know what definitions we need to know? I know one only pops up VERY rarely, but i'd hate to lose marks for something like that or for it to cause me to avoid a question I like :/

• Advertisement

xJEx wrote: »
    Does anyone know what definitions we need to know? I know one only pops up VERY rarely, but i'd hate to lose marks for something like that or for it to cause me to avoid a question I like :/

You could prob use your physics definitions

Could someone please explain what is happening for 5(b) 2008 on the mariking scheme, where he's doing Tan(alpha+45)?
    Normally for the angle it's deflected through I would just use the tan(theta) formula in the logs, but when i did that I got the same answer with the wrong signs..
    Thanks

Prodigious wrote: »
    Could someone please explain what is happening for 5(b) 2008 on the mariking scheme, where he's doing Tan(alpha+45)?
    Normally for the angle it's deflected through I would just use the tan(theta) formula in the logs, but when i did that I got the same answer with the wrong signs..
    Thanks
    The tan of the angle that A makes after collision is found by putting the coefficient of the j part over the i part (slope). This angle is equal to 45 degrees plus alpha, where alpha is the angle of deflection.
    Therefore, tan(alpha + 45) = slope
    Expand tan(alpha + 45) using the tan(A + B) formula in table book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

When you look at the stats for this in August and see that one eejit failed, it'll be me. :o

I love this subject, I wish my school offered it! I foolheartedly took it on after the mocks and dove in getting a good 2-3 questions done but then as the teachers piled on the work my other subjects took priority and now I'm back to square one. Literally just looking to try and scrape myself over the 40% mark now. :/

When you look at the stats for this in August and see that one eejit failed, it'll be me. :o

I love this subject, I wish my school offered it! I foolheartedly took it on after the mocks and dove in getting a good 2-3 questions done but then as the teachers piled on the work my other subjects took priority and now I'm back to square one. Literally just looking to try and scrape myself over the 40% mark now. :/

Why bother if youre not gonna count it?

Why bother if youre not gonna count it?

I didn't know I wasn't going to count it when I started! :(

Also, I really enjoy it, I just haven't done much with it the last few weeks because I had said when I took it up that if time got tight I'd prioritise my other subjects, and that's what happened.. I'll do my damndest to pass it though!

I didn't know I wasn't going to count it when I started! :(

Also, I really enjoy it, I just haven't done much with it the last few weeks because I had said when I took it up that if time got tight I'd prioritise my other subjects, and that's what happened.. I'll do my damndest to pass it though!

You prob will on attempt marks

You prob will on attempt marks

That's the hope, I'm just going to go over the basics of a few questions and then tackle them the best I can, and hopefully going on the stuff I did back when I was putting in more effort I'll be able to get a few of the part (a) and hopefully attempt marks on some (b)'s which will be enough to pass. :P

Is Q8 the only one with a theorem yeah? I'm going to learn those since it'll guarantee me 25 marks if nothing else. :p

http://thephysicsteacher.ie/Exam%20Material/AppliedMaths/pdf/Higher%20Level/Marking%20Schemes/2000.pdf

for the end of question 5 why is it tan (theta) = tan (beta - alpha)?

I have tan (theta) = tan (180 - (beta + alpha)) but I dont get how it gets to the above

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Nl90

http://thephysicsteacher.ie/Exam%20Material/AppliedMaths/pdf/Higher%20Level/Marking%20Schemes/2000.pdf

for the end of question 5 why is it tan (theta) = tan (beta - alpha)?

I have tan (theta) = tan (180 - (beta + alpha)) but I dont get how it gets to the above

I'll tell what I know and hope it's correct
    They are asking for the angle of deflection which is theta

It always equals (beta-alpha)
    You get beta by letting Vy/vx
    Alpha is the original angle
    And then you just apply the trig
    Tan (A-B)= bla bla bla "math table"

Hope that helped

• Advertisement

Nl90 wrote: »
    I'll tell what I know and hope it's correct
    They are asking for the angle of deflection which is theta

It always equals (beta-alpha)
    You get beta by letting Vy/vx
    Alpha is the original angle
    And then you just apply the trig
    Tan (A-B)= bla bla bla "math table"

Hope that helped

yeah thanks, I knew that though I just don;t get WHY its always beta - alpha

yeah thanks, I knew that though I just don;t get WHY its always beta - alpha

I think if you draw it you'll understand it
    It's very confusing for me too
    You can say alpha was 30 and then the angle became 90 so what made the angle change from 30 to 90!? It's 60

I don't know if this is how the concept was explained because I studied it bymyself but it works :D

You can say alpha was 30 and then the angle became 90 so what made the angle change from 30 to 90!? It's 60

I don't know if this is how the concept was explained because I studied it bymyself but it works :D

But say alpha = 30 and theta = 70
    that means beta must equal 80

so apparently tan(70) = tan(80-30)
    according to formula but that isnt true

180 - alpha +theta = Beta

But say alpha = 30 and theta = 70
    that means beta must equal 80

so apparently tan(70) = tan(80-30)
    according to formula but that isnt true

If alpha = 30
    And theta is =70
    Then beta must be 100

Alpha is the original direction
    Beta is the new direction after deflecting
    Theta is the difference
    So Beta = alpha+theta
    You need to know in the Q whether they're asking for B or theta

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

That works well!

To help visualise this, you can hold a ruler along the original line of velocity. Now turn it anti-clockwise until your ruler is in line with the new direction. Theta is just the angle that you just turned your ruler through :)

Helped for me visualising anyway, may seem retarded to everyone else :P

If alpha = 30
    And theta is =70
    Then beta must be 100

Alpha is the original direction
    Beta is the new direction after deflecting
    Theta is the difference
    So Beta = alpha+theta
    You need to know in the Q whether they're asking for B or theta

They all add up to 180..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JoeOBrien1

Does anyone know where I can find past mock papers for applied maths? I've done the past papers back to about 1999 and 1994&1995. I'd rather get some new questions than go over some of them again. Also I don't really want to do questions past 1999 they're not to similar to the newer papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

JoeOBrien1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can find past mock papers for applied maths? I've done the past papers back to about 1999 and 1994&1995. I'd rather get some new questions than go over some of them again. Also I don't really want to do questions past 1999 they're not to similar to the newer papers.
    There are some on the CBS Kilkenny moodle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Cdawg95

What's formula for power for differential equations? Keeps slipping my mind

Advertisement