Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Applied Maths Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭no scope codgod

Cdawg95 wrote: »
    What's formula for power for differential equations? Keeps slipping my mind

P=Fv is a cheeky one they sometimes throw in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Would it be a good idea to leave the first page for your answers, and just list the answers there? Or would it come off as really arrogant?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

Prodigious wrote: »
    Would it be a good idea to leave the first page for your answers, and just list the answers there? Or would it come off as really arrogant?

I just clearly mark all my answers with a big box around each one. Same time-saving concept, less "arrogant" seeming. Although it's not really arrogant, per se, just, I dunno, might give a weird impression and why take the risk that it does come across as such? They're still gonna be looking at each page anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I'm going to be leaving the 1st page blank so I have the full q over the 2 pages infront of me. I don't want to be ficking the page back and forth, it's such an easy way to make mistakes.

decisions wrote: »
    I'm going to be leaving the 1st page blank so I have the full q over the 2 pages infront of me. I don't want to be ficking the page back and forth, it's such an easy way to make mistakes.

That's smart, I'm gonna be using this. Thank you. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭no scope codgod

Ye they actually mentioned that in the Chief Examiner's Report when they last did it for Applied Maths, that lots of students were making mistakes transcribing answers from one page to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭xJEx

Oh my god that is actually so simple yet I probably never would have thought of doing that.. Thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JoeOBrien1

There are some on the CBS Kilkenny moodle.

Thanks alot but did you notice there is a good few mistakes in his solutions?

JoeOBrien1 wrote: »
    Thanks alot but did you notice there is a good few mistakes in his solutions?

Personally I tend not to need solutions, therefore don't care.

It's still a fantastic resource.

What approach are y'all taking for this exam tomorrow? Just doing past papers? Or going through a book by topic? I don't know how to study for this subject and its been weeks since i've looked at it :(

OH, and how many questions is everyone considering doing? Like do you just have six or seven, or are you open to doing any of the ten?

• Advertisement

I'm just doing a few questions.

Tomorrow I'm probably going to do 3,4,5,8,9 and either 1 or 10.

I'm just doing a few questions.

Tomorrow I'm probably going to do 3,4,5,8,9 and either 1 or 10.

Do you know how to do them all though? I was gonna prepare for 10 of them but I always seem to get Q6 and 7 wrong so i'm leaving them out. I'm practicing all of the other 8, a few each, but if theres the slightest chance loads of them are horrible and 6 or 7 are really easy i still know how to do them!
    I'll probably do 3, 4, 8,10, and then two more out of 5, 2, 1 and possibly 9 if its a nice one

Yeh, I can do them all but I don't like 2, 1 is a little Bipolar, I tend to make stupid mistakes on 6, 7 is grand and 10 has been changed to something project mathsey.

In case people haven't seen it, the changes to 10 are outlined here.

Fair play!

substitution isnt on it anymore but i still use it all the time

xJEx wrote: »

:confused::confused::confused:

They're also making it more like project maths. If you read the link decisions posted, it gives examples of questions.

:confused::confused::confused:

I mean you can still use substitution even though there are other methods to tackle certain questions

I mean you can still use substitution even though there are other methods to tackle certain questions

But that's not what I was talking about? Yes that is mentioned in the link but what I was actually pointing out was the examples of the Project Maths style questions.

• Advertisement

Sorry I didnt mean to imply it was what you were talking about
    anyway, does anyone know what moment of inertia proofs we need to know? Can you be asked a triangle?

Sorry I didnt mean to imply it was what you were talking about
    anyway, does anyone know what moment of inertia proofs we need to know? Can you be asked a triangle?

Just disc, rectangular (or square) lamina, and rod, and I'm pretty sure it's only through the center of each of those. (Well, for lamina it's through center but not perpendicular to lamina)

I actually can not wait for this to be over! As soon as it is I'm spending the whole day shopping for bikinis and summer dresses :D

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

I actually can not wait for this to be over! As soon as it is I'm spending the whole day shopping for bikinis and summer dresses :D
    A girl in the Applied Maths thread? O_O What a rare sight.

sganyfx wrote: »

Ehhh, she's not the only one.

sganyfx wrote: »

Ehh can't a dude where a bikini if thats his desire???

Heading straight to the pub with the religion class and their teachers after this, Hurry up Applied Maths and happen!

D_s wrote: »
    Heading straight to the pub with the religion class and their teachers after this, Hurry up Applied Maths and happen!

Haha I wonder is religion easy?

Haha I wonder is religion easy?

Have a look at a past paper sure and decide :P A few essays I'd say, few of my mates seem to enjoy it.

But they're wrong. Applied Maths is the only real subject. Long live the Superior Race!!!!

• Advertisement

D_s wrote: »
    Have a look at a past paper sure and decide :P A few essays I'd say, few of my mates seem to enjoy it.

But they're wrong. Applied Maths is the only real subject. Long live the Superior Race!!!!

Hell yeah, applied maths all the way! We're ballsy!

Advertisement