Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Applied Maths Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭no scope codgod

xJEx wrote: »
    OMG yay! But wait , somebody said last night you have to do 10 in radian mode, did you?? I cant remember what mode my calculator was in!

And i got e = 1/16 for the last bit but then i got an increase in 1.25 cm :/

e is the amount of speed conserved though, not the height it rises to. So in the last part if it rose to 1/16th the height, then its speed would have been 1/4 of the original speed so e would have been 1/4, not 1/16.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭xJEx

e = kd (d is thickness)
    1/3 = k(2.5)
    2.5/3 = k
    k = 5/6

1/4 = kd
    1/4 = 5d/6
    6/4 = 5d
    6 = 20d
    d = 6/20 = 3/10 = 3.33

Is what I did

e isnt proportional to d though, e DECRESES by a factor thats proportion to d

e is the amount of speed conserved though, not the height it rises to. So in the last part if it rose to 1/16th the height, then its speed would have been 1/4 of the original speed so e would have been 1/4, not 1/16.

sorry yeah i got e to be 1/4

Jackobyte wrote: »
    My differential didn't require the use of any trigonometry, only logs, so radians didn't matter. I formed a different equation than you though.

Oh grand! I didnt know why you had to put it in radians i only used logs too! So we're right then? :D our answer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Kingkumar wrote: »
    should it not be K(q-V) where q is the volume of tank when its full as the rate is proportional to how much water is left in the tank?
    Yeah, this was like mine. dv/dt = k(1-v) where v=water gone as a fraction of the whole container.
    ****, I think you could be You are right.
    I did:
    mgh=1/2 m v^2
    Then:
    1/2 m v^2 e = mgh(1/16)
    mgh(e)=mgh(1/16)
    Therefore: e=1/16. However, that e should have been included in the v, making it (ev)^2; thus making e^2=1/16.

Shit...

• Advertisement

Yeah, this was like mine. dv/dt = k(1-v) where v=water gone as a fraction of the whole container.

i had that but i wasnt sure how to solve it so i changed it to -dVdt = kV
    and i started with v = 1, as in none gone, and then v=1/2, as in half gone

so like i said the rate of decrease of the volume is proportional to the fraction of the volume remaining. seeing as i had the minus sign isnt that correct? it must be if we got the same answer

can anoyne tell me what they got for end of 1, 8 or the tensions in 4?

can anoyne tell me what they got for end of 1, 8 or the tensions in 4?
    Q1a: 7 seconds?
    Q8(last part): 5r/3

Q1a: 7 seconds?
    Q8(last part): 5r/3

That same question was on 1992 actually, the 8 so yeah thats right :)
    and yeah thats what I got in 1 too

anyobyd get 63.32N and then 71.24 N for first bitta 4?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 John Meighan

anyobyd get 63.32N and then 71.24 N for first bitta 4?

Yea, that's what I got, I know nobody does hydrostatics but did anyone get 400 for a?

Yea, that's what I got, I know nobody does hydrostatics but did anyone get 400 for a?

yay i got all of 4 correct then :) sorry didnt do it.
    did you do 3 cause i got confused on it and im dying to know what the two angle answers were!

yay i got all of 4 correct then :) sorry didnt do it.
    did you do 3 cause i got confused on it and im dying to know what the two angle answers were!

I think 30 degrees for first one and 45 degrees for second one that answer could be a bit dodgy though.

I think 30 degrees for first one and 45 degrees for second one that answer could be a bit dodgy though.

yeah i got them, but i had like 2sin(theta)cos(theta) - sin^2(theta) in the range so that had to be a max and i wasnt sure how to find the max theta so i just kinda guessed and got 5 dont know if ill get the marks for method even if my answer is right :P do they have to give u full marks if you get the answer?

yeah i got them, but i had like 2sin(theta)cos(theta) - sin^2(theta) in the range so that had to be a max and i wasnt sure how to find the max theta so i just kinda guessed and got 5 dont know if ill get the marks for method even if my answer is right :P do they have to give u full marks if you get the answer?

I changed that using formulas to sin2(theta) +.5 -Cos2(theta) and said sin max at 90 degrees and cos min at 90 degrees.

I let that equal y, then differentiated and let equal 0 for max/min. Think I got 30 degrees.

I changed that using formulas to sin2(theta) +.5 -Cos2(theta) and said sin max at 90 degrees and cos min at 90 degrees.

yeah well i knew 90 gives a max sin and a min cos so i just kind of went from there, 45 degrees gave the whole bracket bit a value of 0.5
    dammit jack may be right.. his gives 0.6 or something

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MarieCurie22

what angle did you guys get for q2 a?

my answers are so f*cked up in comparison....was any body like "DISC!!!!????? WHAT!!?!?!?!??!! AGAIN!!!!?!"

DID YE GET 1 AND 8 **sorry cap locks** seconds for q1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

Is there anywhere online that has the answers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

DID YE GET 1 AND 8 **sorry cap locks** seconds for q1?

I think that's what I got, interval of 7 seconds. Though I am the least trustworthy person in this thread when it comes to Applied Maths so idk. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Bionicle

I've been doing some of the questions and can confirm that for q5(b), the answers are e=1/2, e=1/3, thickness is 3.75 cm and that the answers for q10 (a) is 1.5, (b) 60 m/s and 36m. I'll get crcking on more questions if you guys want. Any in particular?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

Bionicle wrote: »
    I've been doing some of the questions and can confirm that for q5(b), the answers are e=1/2, e=1/3, thickness is 3.75 cm and that the answers for q10 (a) is 1.5, (b) 60 m/s and 36m. I'll get crcking on more questions if you guys want. Any in particular?

Are you a teacher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Bionicle

Undeadfred wrote: »
    Are you a teacher?
    Maths college student.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 appliedmaths

I have put up (draft) solutions to qu1,2,3,4,5,10 on CBS Kilkenny Moodle.
    Hope they are correct! But pls feel free...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

what did people get for question 10 part b ii?

**** YEAH. got all them. in your face everyone who thought it was 3.3 for the thickness! Majority does not always rule :P

Please do 3, 4 and the last bit of 10 :)

oh and the value of e for 5a please :D

• Advertisement

I have put up (draft) solutions to qu1,2,3,4,5,10 on CBS Kilkenny Moodle.
    Hope they are correct! But pls feel free...!

I got the same answer for ten but when i set up my differential equation i had a minus in front of the dV/dt, is that wrong? Also, i left it as 79.32 mins, that ok do you think?

Advertisement