Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Applied Maths Before/After**

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Bionicle

The answer to Q7. (a) is cos inverse 7/15. If you did physics, you should know that from the experiment, the magnitude of the resultant of the 5N force and 12N force is the 15N force and it acts in the opposite diretion. I Let 12N force be a horizontal force whose vector co=ordinates are 12i and let the 5N force's vector foce be 5cos(theta)i + 5sin(theta)j. Find their sum and then find the magnitude of the sum and let it equal 15. Solve that equation and you should get the answer. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

Bionicle wrote: »
    The answer to Q7. (a) is cos inverse 7/15. If you did physics, you should know that from the experiment, the magnitude of the resultant of the 5N force and 12N force is the 15N force and it acts in the opposite diretion. I Let 12N force be a horizontal force whose vector co=ordinates are 12i and let the 5N force's vector foce be 5cos(theta)i + 5sin(theta)j. Find their sum and then find the magnitude of the sum and let it equal 15. Solve that equation and you should get the answer. :)

Damn, i really should have left it as the diagram showed it. I copied it down in my answer booklet with the 15N force horizontal thinking it would be easier. ugh...

Does anyone want answers to Q8?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

Undeadfred wrote: »
    I also did this but it lead to some very ugly and long equations that took ages to figure out. Don't have a clue how to do it the way lostatsea says

Solution attached:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Deathrae1

Did anyone do question 9b and if so what answer did you get? I went into the paper thinking I was going to fail but I found the paper to be easier than previous years! It was different but I thought that was for the better.

• Advertisement

Deathrae1 wrote: »
    Did anyone do question 9b and if so what answer did you get? I went into the paper thinking I was going to fail but I found the paper to be easier than previous years! It was different but I thought that was for the better.

Question 9(b): a = 0.4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

lostatsea wrote: »
    Solution attached:

God that's so simple. You should have seen the amount i wrote, almost 2 pages of huge long trig equations

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭no scope codgod

lostatsea wrote: »
    Question 9(b): a = 0.4

400 I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Does anyone want answers to Q8?

Yes please!

(i)2pisqrt(2r/g) and (ii) l=2r for q8 (b).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭xJEx

(i)2pisqrt(2r/g) and (ii) l=2r for q8 (b).

I don't think that is correct

xJEx wrote: »
    I don't think that is correct
    I wasn't sure either as I am very rusty on inertia. I'll look over it again however as I was surprised how nice the answers were.

Apologies, I used the wrong formula.:P

The answers are actually:

(i)2pisqrt(5r/3g)
    (ii)l=5r/3

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

(i)2pisqrt(5r/6g)
    (ii)l=5r/6

Can you throw up a pic of the solution please :)

Glee_GG wrote: »
    Can you throw up a pic of the solution please :)
    Ugh I edited my solution cuz I was justdoingrough work and mixed up numbers. :P

Okay, I wrote out my solution nicely soI can confirm the answers. :D If there is a problem, let me know. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭xJEx

(i)2pisqrt(5r/3g)
    (ii)l=5r/3

That's more like it ;)

(i)2pisqrt(5r/3g)