Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** 2013 Economics HL Before/After **

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

Petermt wrote: »
    Did anyone else think that the micro was horriffic but the macro was grand? also for the central bank buying assets did any of ye say it causes inflation and i devalues the currency?
    i mentioned it devalue the currency alright my next bullet point was that its going to increase credit avaibility to bussiness

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Petermt

ahmdoda wrote: »
    i mentioned it devalue the currency alright my next bullet point was that its going to increase credit avaibility to bussiness

Good point there, I didnt see that! Also what was the rate of inflation? 1.7%?

i said 1.6 which isnt far off :P but it seem to be very far off from the current one .39% occurding to this wepsite http://www.inflation.eu/inflation-rates/ireland/inflation-ireland.aspx how ever it was 1.2 last year so im not sure did which one did the question one the one since november of last year or now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Petermt

i said 1.6 which isnt far off :P but it seem to be very far off from the current one .39% occurding to this wepsite http://www.inflation.eu/inflation-rates/ireland/inflation-ireland.aspx how ever it was 1.2 last year so im not sure did which one did the question one the one since november of last year or now?

Most people in my class took it between 1.6-1.9 but according to RTE http://www.rte.ie/news/business/economy/inflation/ that avg inflation rate for 2012 was 1.7%. Id say you will need to have given the statistic that the CSO provided

Most people in my class took it between 1.6-1.9 but according to RTE http://www.rte.ie/news/business/economy/inflation/ that avg inflation rate for 2012 was 1.7%. Id say you will need to have given the statistic that the CSO provided
    i really hope so! would suck to loose such 5 marks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

The more i look at the paper i more i wanna ****e on it.

btw would you loose marks for using a pen instead of a pencil to draw the graphs? my teacher keep telling us how they give you zero for a graph drawn with pin for two goddam years and i forgot to use a pencil in the exam!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

btw would you loose marks for using a pen instead of a pencil to draw the graphs? my teacher keep telling us how they give you zero for a graph drawn with pin for two goddam years and i forgot to use a pencil in the exam!!

Of course not, your teacher was lying

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭David086

I always do my graphs in pen. Don't see how you can get zero for drawing and labeling a perfect graph tbh.

David086 wrote: »
    I always do my graphs in pen. Don't see how you can get zero for drawing and labeling a perfect graph tbh.
    hahaha thats a relief even after the exam today he was annoying me with this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 AR95

that was terrible they're really burying this subject by giving exams like that, there was no reward for people who have consistently studied the book for two years but those who are able to waffle on seems to have got on fine :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

AR95 wrote: »
    that was terrible they're really burying this subject by giving exams like that, there was no reward for people who have consistently studied the book for two years but those who are able to waffle on seems to have got on fine :mad:

How could you not do most of those micro questions if you studied the book for two years? The majority of those questions was stuff in my book , it wasn't like a big shock or something? I understand the short questions were weird .. but thats 25 percent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I think s/he's referring to how there wasn't many micro questions on the paper (elasticity etc...) and how a lot of people who didn't do as much work would benefit from the more bullshitable macro.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭David086

AR95 wrote: »

Why didn't you waffle so? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AR95

I tried my best in the end but I dont think there should be so little micro, also I have never seen a good bit of whats on that paper in my book!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

I genuinely thought it was a nice paper...
    Did questions 1,2,4 and 6.
    Like sorry guys but you really cant complain about Q4, it was probably the nicest Govt. and the Economy question in a LONG time, and Q1 was quite nice too!
    I agree, short questions were a bit of a bee-yotch, but they weren't impossible.
    Only thing that threw me off was the thing about central banks buying financial assets off banks, that was a bit icky, but I suppose waffle could've got me through it... All-in-all, a do-able paper. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I don't think many people were predicting Monopoly? When I saw it I was like "....oh.". I revised all the market structures so I was sorted, but I'm sure there were those paper who only studied imperfect competition and oligopoly..!

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

I think s/he's referring to how there wasn't many micro questions on the paper (elasticity etc...) and how a lot of people who didn't do as much work would benefit from the more bullshitable macro.

It is known though in recent years that there will be 3 micro questions to stop people from doing all 4 micro questions , so its not much of a shock, its not like it was 1 or 2 micro questions or something, i think macro is harder! and not 'bull****table' if it was bull****table that person could have done 4 macro then. I do understand predictied topics didn't come up like elasticity but elasticity does not come up every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Whats wrong about asking questions are thought provoking? Any old gobs*** can rote learn the entire book and still not understand the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭olazbabes

N64 wrote: »
    Whats wrong about asking questions are thought provoking? Any old gobs*** can rote learn the entire book and still not understand the subject.
    Thought provoking eh? I dare everyone on this page to post their result in August and will see how the paper was.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

So weird, I said 1.7% then crossed it and wrote 1.6% :L Coz the .1 would make all the difference.
    Its just funny coz it was totally off the top of my head but others thought the same.

Quite gutted about the shorties, I just didnt know what I was saying for them. The long questions were okay but I was hoping for something nice on National Income or CPI or the comparative advantage shizz.
    Definitely went down from my mocks..

I did questions 1-4. I hope they will cover my short questions FAIL. The long questions were fair but the short wasnt. I believe it is the short questions that will bring me down. That Sucks! As I got 100/100 in mocks. in all my options subject there have been significant changes. I was banking on those to gain points. i honestly have no idea of what points range im in.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

I said 0.5% because on our last day of school we spent economics looking up the most up to date figures and that was what we found for inflation, not too far off 0.39% :D I wonder will there be a range of accepted answers, or at least a few big ones that are mentioned repeatedly in peoples answers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

olazbabes wrote: »
    I did questions 1-4. I hope they will cover my short questions FAIL. The long questions were fair but the short wasnt. I believe it is the short questions that will bring me down. That Sucks! As I got 100/100 in mocks. in all my options subject there have been significant changes. I was banking on those to gain points. i honestly have no idea of what points range im in.

Same here o was banking on economics and accounting and irish for A1s now I haven't got a clue and don't know whether to change CAO or not :(

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I had planned on doing the National Income question but when I saw the part (c) on about some lad with the history of economic thought for 25 marks, I couldn't do it. Didn't have a clue about any of the economists! In the end I did q's 2,4,7,8. Long questions were extremely fair, short questions far more trickier. I'm hoping there giving marks away a little easier if everyone seems to do average in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

I done all 4 macro questions and thought the paper was both topical and fair. As for the short questions, yes they were difficult but 9 chances to get 6 right is still very good odds imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

N64 wrote: »

I agree with this. That's one of the better things about economics, usually, you can do Qs you've learned all the theory for or do Qs which requires thinking in an economic mind set.

I don't understand how anyone can berate someone because they did the "bull****table" Qs. They're answering the question using economic ideas so surely that's the whole point of the subject?!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

yournerd wrote: »
    Same here o was banking on economics and accounting and irish for A1s now I haven't got a clue and don't know whether to change CAO or not :(

Why would you change your CAO? Leave whatever you have as No. 1 where it is. If you don't get it, so what, you'll just get something lower on your list. But if you remove it, and then find out you got the points for it, you'll be kicking yourself, and not in a "Damn, should've bought those crisps while they were on special offer" type of way, but more of a "Fúck, I've severely diminished my enjoyment of the next 4 years of my life and missed an opportunity to do my dream course" type of way.

I don't get how people don't get the CAO system this much.

Lucan Bohs wrote: »
    I agree with this. That's one of the better things about economics, usually, you can do Qs you've learned all the theory for or do Qs which requires thinking in an economic mind set.

I don't understand how anyone can berate someone because they did the "bull****table" Qs. They're answering the question using economic ideas so surely that's the whole point of the subject?!

Yes you have a point that the subject requires thinking. But the paper wasnt balanced with spilling theory and common sense. For god sake look at last years paper. The questions last year have been repeated. Part of the leaving cert is knowing exam papers inside out. EG they didnt ask Oligopoly rather they dedicated 25marksto a philospher at a Macro question. that is 25 out the window.Macro was ok. But this paper made me waste two years of learning Eco theory useless.With this paper is like you almost didnt have to study.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Lucan Bohs wrote: »

I don't see any berating going on. The frustration with the paper by some people, I would imagine, is due to the fact that "bullshitable" questions allow for a very subjective marking scheme. If you're a C student then it's great news as they will throw marks at you for any shit you wrote, but if you're looking for an A grade then it allows them to deduct marks a lot easier so they fit the bell curve.

For example if they need to reduce A1's, and you're borderline A1 and have a correct answer that isn't on the marking scheme then chances are you won't get your marks. With Micro it's more set in stone and the subjectiveness is removed. I did 3 micro (2 ½ really) and 1 macro myself and thought the paper was difficult compared to other years but fair.

Disappointed though, as I know I did much better in the mock and will be dropping a few grades.

Advertisement