Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** 2013 Economics HL Before/After **

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

I don't see any berating going on. The frustration with the paper by some people, I would imagine, is due to the fact that "bullshitable" questions allow for a very subjective marking scheme. If you're a C student then it's great news as they will throw marks at you for any shit you wrote, but if you're looking for an A grade then it allows them to deduct marks a lot easier so they fit the bell curve.

For example if they need to reduce A1's, and you're borderline A1 and have a correct answer that isn't on the marking scheme then chances are you won't get your marks. With Micro it's more set in stone and the subjectiveness is removed. I did 3 micro (2 ½ really) and 1 macro myself and thought the paper was difficult compared to other years but fair.

Disappointed though, as I know I did much better in the mock and will be dropping a few grades.

If you deserve an A you will get an A, yes there is the bell curve but it just differentiates the top A student from the almost A/b1 student

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Ah, the naivety of youth. :cool:

Ah, the naivety of youth. :cool:

I have done the leavng before i know how it works , every year people think they don't get what they deserve because of the bell curve , they think the poor things are owed something but they clearly didn't study enough to get the grade. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

You do know what a bell curve is? To mention the bell curve in relation to marking and then to suggest that it has no bearing on your final grade is a complete contradiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

I always get an A1 in accounting and study it plenty and the fact that the paper was horrendous Im going to get a bad grade cause I didnt study enough? makes sense.

• Advertisement

yournerd wrote: »
    I always get an A1 in accounting and study it plenty and the fact that the paper was horrendous Im going to get a bad grade cause I didnt study enough? makes sense.

Well if you found it horrendous and you 'always get an A1' and you study plenty then think about the people who don't , you are still going to be on top , and probably get the A1 , if you found it horrendous everyone else most likely did too! if they didn't find it horrendous , how? they obviously did just that bit more than you and they deserve the highest grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭olazbabes

i learnt this year it isnt about how much study you did. It is how you tackle questions that come up. Sometimes panic can affect performance. Getting A's all year doesnt equal A in August

olazbabes wrote: »
    i learnt this year it isnt about how much study you did. It is how you tackle questions that come up. Sometimes panic can affect performance. Getting A's all year doesnt equal A in August

Thats true, i know my teachers would tell some students not to be cocky with your A in the mocks because the mocks really don't count for anything , they can be a helpful indication for some people but grades often go down.

Advertisement