Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Geography/Economics/History/Music/Art/Japanese

• 13-06-2013 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Ok so I'm going straight into 5th year, and I have filled out a subject sheet but I am still not sure exactly which subjects to do. I have decided I am definitely doing History, French, Music and Japanese. If anyone has any experience in these subjects I would be very thankful for any feedback. :)
    I am also considering doing Geography or Business. I am wondering which of these subjects will be more useful to me. I am also considering doing art outside of school. Does anyone have any advice on subjects? I would be very grateful for any feedback received. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Ok so I'm going straight into 5th year, and I have filled out a subject sheet but I am still not sure exactly which subjects to do. I have decided I am definitely doing History, French, Music and Japanese. If anyone has any experience in these subjects I would be very thankful for any feedback. :)
    I am also considering doing Geography or Business. I am wondering which of these subjects will be more useful to me. I am also considering doing art outside of school. Does anyone have any advice on subjects? I would be very grateful for any feedback received. Thanks!

I did french and found it hard, did you do ok in it for junior cert? I think you need to start really early with the french oral :)
    I really liked business but it really depends , are you good at sitting down for hours and just learning off definitions and sections because that is business,it takes up alot of time or geography is a little more practical as it has the 20 percent project , do you think you would like to do either business or geography for arts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭greenpyjamas

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    I did french and found it hard, did you do ok in it for junior cert? I think you need to start really early with the french oral :)
    I really liked business but it really depends , are you good at sitting down for hours and just learning off definitions and sections because that is business,it takes up alot of time or geography is a little more practical as it has the 20 percent project , do you think you would like to do either business or geography for arts?

Yeah, I love French. Hoping for an A :) I went to France last summer so I got a bit of oral practice in :pac:
    Yeah, I think that would suit me, I love learning off definitions and economics is definitely my favourite part of business. With Geography, it's hard to know, I like it but I don't know if I do well in it. Would be hoping for an A in the JC but I don't really like the physical geography. Thanks for your insight! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AR95

unless you can write ridiculously fast don't do history, its a great subject until you get to the exam! Definitely recommend economics though if you're good at rote learning its simple

AR95 wrote: »
    unless you can write ridiculously fast don't do history, its a great subject until you get to the exam! Definitely recommend economics though if you're good at rote learning its simple

I actually can though!:rolleyes: Yeah, I've been hearing a lot about the history exam, and I think I'm more prepared now. History is obviously not an easy subject, but I love it so I think I'll just stick to it! :)
    Yeah, I'm sort of thinking about changing geography to economics now; might be handier for me. Thanks for your advice!

Yeah, I love French. Hoping for an A :) I went to France last summer so I got a bit of oral practice in :pac:
    Yeah, I think that would suit me, I love learning off definitions and economics is definitely my favourite part of business. With Geography, it's hard to know, I like it but I don't know if I do well in it. Would be hoping for an A in the JC but I don't really like the physical geography. Thanks for your insight! :)

oh brilliant you don't need to worry then, sounds good i think you could easily do business and economics then instead of geography? , i think they go nicely together if you like one you probably like the other, i did both this year if you have any questions?

• Advertisement

oh brilliant you don't need to worry then, sounds good i think you could easily do business and economics then instead of geography? , i think they go nicely together if you like one you probably like the other, i did both this year if you have any questions?

I actually can't do business and economics together because of the subject groupings; I'm picking French out of the group where business is.
    I'm thinking now: French, Economics, History, Music and Japanese as my optionals. How did you find Economics? Was there anything you particularly liked or disliked about it? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

I have just gone through the same topic about LC History on this thread here -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85066121

I actually can't do business and economics together because of the subject groupings; I'm picking French out of the group where business is.
    I'm thinking now: French, Economics, History, Music and Japanese as my optionals. How did you find Economics? Was there anything you particularly liked or disliked about it? :)

ohh ok, well i actually repeated the leaving this year and i just took it up. we managed to finish the course in the year as its quite short so i imagine you could do quite well with the two years.It is mainly theory and not too difficult to understand usually, i didn't like some calculations but not too many!

I have just gone through the same topic about LC History on this thread here -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85066121

Thank you! :)

ohh ok, well i actually repeated the leaving this year and i just took it up. we managed to finish the course in the year as its quite short so i imagine you could do quite well with the two years.It is mainly theory and not too difficult to understand usually, i didn't like some calculations but not too many!

Sounds good!:) Thanks so much, economics seems like such a logical choice now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Sierra_x

Recommending both Economics and Geography. Economics is extremely short, pretty boring but easy to learn! As for Geography, you can score up to 20% before you even sit the LC exam in your field work project. You said you don't like Physical Geography, and that section is worth 20% of the exam so 1/5 of the paper, really. That's quite funny because normally people find the Physical a breeze & hate the Regional section. Good luck with your choice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

If you have a good memory, Geography and History are fairly easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

Definitely go for Japanese, the course is short enough, the oral is rather easy... There's a full Katakana comprehension in the exam which isn't even real Japanese in a way, it's just English words, just written using the Japanese alphabet and they wanna see can you read them :P
    Economics and Geography aren't REALLY my cup of tea, mainly because they're rather dull and boring in my opinion. That said, if you've a thing for memorising, definitely go for Geography, there's very little understanding involved, it's all learn off.
    Economics is the opposite, it's a lot more about understanding, and the exam paper itself isn't too bad...There's a good bit of overlap in the Macro section, but PERSONALLY I think it's a wee bit of snoozefest ;)

Sierra_x wrote: »
    Recommending both Economics and Geography. Economics is extremely short, pretty boring but easy to learn! As for Geography, you can score up to 20% before you even sit the LC exam in your field work project. You said you don't like Physical Geography, and that section is worth 20% of the exam so 1/5 of the paper, really. That's quite funny because normally people find the Physical a breeze & hate the Regional section. Good luck with your choice! :)

Thanks for your feedback!:) I think I'm leaning towards Economics, it seems like it would suit me! Yeah, I think urbanisation is really interesting, but I'm not sure if Geography in general would be the best idea.

Legion. wrote: »
    If you have a good memory, Geography and History are fairly easy.

I'm definitely going for History, love it! Thanks! :)

comeclosa wrote: »
    Definitely go for Japanese, the course is short enough, the oral is rather easy... There's a full Katakana comprehension in the exam which isn't even real Japanese in a way, it's just English words, just written using the Japanese alphabet and they wanna see can you read them :P
    Economics and Geography aren't REALLY my cup of tea, mainly because they're rather dull and boring in my opinion. That said, if you've a thing for memorising, definitely go for Geography, there's very little understanding involved, it's all learn off.
    Economics is the opposite, it's a lot more about understanding, and the exam paper itself isn't too bad...There's a good bit of overlap in the Macro section, but PERSONALLY I think it's a wee bit of snoozefest ;)

Sounds good, I love languages so I thought Japanese would be something really interesting to take up. :)
    Yeah, most people are saying they're good for people that can memorise things:) Thanks for your advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

If you play an instrument, ideally piano, you can make 50% of your exam performing 6 pieces, and then the paper involves learning set works by the Beatles and Mozart and composing a melody. If you don't, and you didn't do it for JC, I wouldn't advise doing, it can be very difficult. Hope this helps :)

If you play an instrument, ideally piano, you can make 50% of your exam performing 6 pieces, and then the paper involves learning set works by the Beatles and Mozart and composing a melody. If you don't, and you didn't do it for JC, I wouldn't advise doing, it can be very difficult. Hope this helps :)

I play guitar :) I've done art for JC, but I have some sight reading experience and one of the music teachers has offered to give me classes this summer, to catch up :) Thanks for your feedback!

Has anyone any experience in doing extra subjects outside of school? Due to subject groupings there are certain subjects I can't do together. Could I do Chemistry or Art outside of school and just take the exam?

Advertisement