Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does high mileage matter?

• 13-06-2013 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I need to buy a second hand car and have been looking at a 2010 ford mondeo, the basic edge model. I've found a nice one but it has 80,000 miles. Does this high mileage matter?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Peersonally it doesnt really, I got a 08 mondeo last june with 105,000 miles on it and its going like clockwork. If its a diesel it high mileage should be expected, all diesels have high mileage. Just please dont get an edge model, so depressing, go for atleast a zetec :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭navara man

tessyb wrote: »
    I need to buy a second hand car and have been looking at a 2010 ford mondeo, the basic edge model. I've found a nice one but it has 80,000 miles. Does this high mileage matter?
    just don't buy one that is close 20000km/ 125000 miles with the timing belt due . ford dealers want 1000 euro to do them (1.8tdci engine)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

navara man wrote: »
    just don't buy one that is close 20000km/ 125000 miles with the timing belt due . ford dealer want 1000 euro to do them (1.8tdci engine)

That's a ridiculous price for a change. A decent independent should be able to do this for hundreds less. OP, avoid the Edge model, even by Irish standards this is basic. Get a Zetec car a bare minimum. As far as I know, Edge is a UK spec - in Ireland the basic model was LX or Style depending on year (Style models aren't too bad for spec actually, but still, best to get a Zetec minimum). Nothing wrong with a UK car, but make sure the mileage is genuine, UK cars have a habit of 'losing' a few miles when they cross the Irish sea - hardly surprising as a UK car will most likely have been much better maintained so a UK car with 100k miles could easily pass for something with 70k in Ireland owing to the fact that the English like nice cars and are prepared to look after them (unlike many Irish people).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

cant remember the last time i had a car with less than 100k on the clock :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I got my car at 80,000 miles (01 astra) In the space of a year I've added 58,000 miles to it, and it's running like new, but it's been serviced like clockwork, so just get a good one with a decent service history and you'l be grand, obviously don't get one with galactic mileage on it :P anything past 190,000 I'd consider for that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

I got my car at 80,000 miles (01 astra) In the space of a year I've added 58,000 miles to it, and it's running like new, but it's been serviced like clockwork, so just get a good one with a decent service history and you'l be grand, obviously don't get one with galactic mileage on it :P anything past 190,000 I'd consider for that

58,000 miles in the last year?
    That's impressive.
    For once I hope she's diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I bought mine 3 years ago with 110 k on the clock and it's going like a top.

Scortho wrote: »
    58,000 miles in the last year?
    That's impressive.
    For once I hope she's diesel.

No actually :pac: Very economical though, got from kildare to cork on 20ish euro before, it was at night and i was taking it handy, but none the less, I'm looking to get something that able for that kinda mileage for the near future though

That's a ridiculous price for a change..
    I know and the part are less than 300 to the job .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

how much you spending a week on petrol man:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

how much you spending a week on petrol man:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Around 40 quid :D the benefit also is, I'm the only one in the family who drives, so i get petrol money too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Around 40 quid :D the benefit also is, I'm the only one in the family who drives, so i get petrol money too :D

how in the name of gods green earth and all things sacred are you getting so much mileage from 40 euro a week?:eek:

how in the name of gods green earth and all things sacred are you getting so much mileage from 40 euro a week?:eek:

If I knew meself I'd tell you haha, most of it came from being in college last year, going back and forth to Dun Laoghaire 5 days a week for 9 months racks it up fairly lively!

No actually :pac: Very economical though, got from kildare to cork on 20ish euro before, it was at night and i was taking it handy, but none the less, I'm looking to get something that able for that kinda mileage for the near future though

20 quid? What size engine? That's fairly impressive. Is it a hybrid?

Scortho wrote: »
    20 quid? What size engine? That's fairly impressive. Is it a hybrid?

1.4 ecotec, it's just a regular ol dinosaur exploder :pac: or petrol, whichever you like to call it

Also op sorry for hijacking the thread!

1.4 ecotec, it's just a regular ol dinosaur exploder :pac: or petrol, whichever you like to call it

Also op sorry for hijacking the thread!

My curiosity hijacked it! Sorry op.
    that's impressive figures none the less. My 1.2 polo seems to drink the stuff on long journeys.

Anyway op there's good high mileage and bad high mileage cars.
    high mileage shouldn't be an issue once it's been serviced well (at least yearly, or every 10-12000 miles.
    Find out what goes on the model your looking at and see if its been replaced recently as its one less thing to worry about.
    A car that's 10 years old and done 40000 miles and only serviced 3 times could be much worse than the same model with 100000 having been serviced 10 times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

I got my car at 80,000 miles (01 astra) In the space of a year I've added 58,000 miles to it
    Around 40 quid (per week)

That's 1,115 miles a week! 160 miles a day. 160 miles every single day!

1,115 miles on €40 of fuel or 160 miles on €5.70! 160+ miles per gallon.

Pj! wrote: »
    That's 1,115 miles a week! 160 miles a day. 160 miles every single day!

1,115 miles on €40 of fuel or 160 miles on €5.70! 160+ miles per gallon.

Well I was saying that's what i put in it nowadays, back then I'd stick in about 60/70....I could afford it then :pac:

Are you sure about the 58,000?
    most of it came from being in college last year, going back and forth to Dun Laoghaire 5 days a week for 9 months racks it up fairly lively!
    If you live in Kildare then Dun Laoghaire 5 days a week for 9 months wouldn't even come close to accounting for most of it.

Pj! wrote: »
    Are you sure about the 58,000?

If you live in Kildare then Dun Laoghaire 5 days a week for 9 months wouldn't even come close to accounting for the most of it.

Well, throw in a few trips to monaghan and cork too, tramore, galway, belfast, that should do it, lived in cork there for a while so going home on the weekends and coming back clocked up a fair bit too

• Advertisement

I'd still check that odometer!

160 miles every day for a year is extremely high. It's more than a few trips! It's nicely over €100 a week in petrol at average figures.

But anyway happy motoring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

58000 miles in a year costs a hell of a lot more than 40 euro a week. even if you were getting 100 miles to a tenner (which would be exceptional in this day and age ) than this cost would be 5800 euro which is over 100 euro per week

i hope your not doing maths in college :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

High mileage isn't necessarily a problem these days - also, the bigger the engine the better they tend to be able for it. Proper full service history is essential for big mileage, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Markcheese

A relatively new, high milage car should show it's life history easily ... If it looks in good nick, has a service history and checks out mechanically , you've probably got a good one.... If it looks and feels anyway rough it's probably been flaaed on poor roads, (150,000 well driven on motorways is a hell of a lot better than 100,000 on thrashed on country or city roads)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4 endakd

Hi All,

I'm driving a 08 Mondeo 2.0 diesel that I brought in from the U.K. about 18 months ago.

Has cost me VERY little & never broken down. Just serviced as needed & now has 130,000 miles on the clock.

Regarding the timing belt, I got mine done recently AND got the air conditioning regassed at the same time by a Ford main dealer. (Cork Ford Centre, Forge Hill.)

Would have to check the receipt but nearly sure it was €600 in total - including labour, VAT, the lot....

So check around!

it only the 1.8 engine they want a 1000euro to do belts .that because from 07 on they start to used two timing belt on 1.8tdci engine

Advertisement