Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Summer 2014

Options
  • 14-06-2013 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

Just wondering something.. if you have finished college is there anyway possible to still go on a J1? I finished college this year so next year i wont be a student. Is there anything you can do or is there any other visa that might allow you to get a 3 month work visa? any advice at all will help I have my sights set on Hawaii so all would appreciate help :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭podgie.

12 month J1 visa, you can apply and enter the country up to 12 months after finishing college, check your grad cert which you will receive in October at your graduation and its up to 12 months from the date printed on that cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eliza Lynch

You can also get a 3month j1 if you can prove you have a reason to return I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

It's getting a little late for the summer 3 month J1. If you act quickly you could get out there for 3 monthsish but jobs and accomodation might be scarce this late.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 baby fingers breen

does anybody know how much it'll roughly cost to go over next summer? I possibly have free accommodation sorted. I'm talking about flights and general day to day living. that kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

It depends on where you are going. The east coast is cheaper to fly to (c. €400), and the west coast can sometimes cost up to twice the amount (c €800) if not more. Then, certain cities may be cheaper to live in than others, but if you're only financial responsibilities will be day to day living (i.e. eating, entertainment, transportation etc) you can live as cheaply as you want or not so much. Cheap food, good happy hours, monthly transport passes etc can be found everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Are you entitled to do a J1 if you a part time student or do you have to be a full time student/recent graduate or in a particular year in college/age to do a J1?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lukecorr93

Hey guys, probabally a bit thick but I cant seem to figure out the J1 application system... Do we have to apply via an agent like USIT or whatever or can we just get the forms ourselves and fill them out?

Looking at going huntington beach atm, weve been told to avoid santa barbara, san diego due to terrible Irish reputation! Any thoughts on huntington beach?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭podgie.

apply via a agent, i.e USIT,

Advertisement