Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IE Dublin-Sligo online booking

• 14-06-2013 12:17am

I was looking at the Dublin-Sligo timetable on Sundays and noticed that it's not possible to book the 0905 Dublin-Sligo service on Sundays, or the 1300 return. I'm guessing it's still a 29000 if this is the case? That messes up my plans a bit as I was intending to have as early a departure as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I believe they are 29000s, which makes little sense considering there's loads of 22000s, especially on a Sunday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

If you call them you may get an online fare price.
    I believe they are 29000s, which makes little sense considering there's loads of 22000s, especially on a Sunday!

Yes lots around but not in Dublin area.

Sligo is operated by all 3 car sets on Sunday apart from the 2900 and as a result capacity is limited as there is 2 full 6 piece sets in Sligo. All about costs at the minute which is important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It boils down to capacity issues.

The 13:05 to Sligo on Friday and the 18:00 return are 29k operated because the 22k that would operate them is used to strengthen the 15:05 service to 6 coaches.

Similarly, on Sundays the 09:05 to Sligo and the 13:00 return are 29k operated as the next three services from Sligo are all operated by 6 coach trains, two of them made up of 2 x 3 coach ICR sets.

The six piece sets have to operate the 16:00, 17:05 and 19:05 to Sligo on Sundays as they have to be there overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

It's got absolutely nothing to do with capacity issues IMO, it's down to IÉs usual incompetence. Why do they have to use 29Ks on the Sligo intercity when 22Ks are used on commuter routes in Dublin on the weekends?

I know you can't reserve a seat on a 29K, but why the hell can't you buy an online ticket anyway? I need to travel in the UK on Monday and to complete my journey I'll need to use three different train companies, I can do this all on ONE ticket booked online. Two of the trains have reserved seats one doesn't. Why can't IÉ (who are just ONE company) sort their booking system out?

BenShermin wrote: »
    It's got absolutely nothing to do with capacity issues IMO, it's down to IÉs usual incompetence. Why do they have to use 29Ks on the Sligo intercity when 22Ks are used on commuter routes in Dublin on the weekends?

I know you can't reserve a seat on a 29K, but why the hell can't you buy an online ticket anyway? I need to travel in the UK on Monday and to complete my journey I'll need to use three different train companies, I can do this all on ONE ticket booked online. Two of the trains have reserved seats one doesn't. Why can't IÉ (who are just ONE company) sort their booking system out?

Only sensible reason I can think of for 22's on M3 Parkway shuttle is that they are more cost affective compared to a 4 car 2900?

As for capacity changes, Sligo passengers should be happy they get a 8 car 2900 on Friday, over at Heuston while a lot of extra capacity is needed it results in two busy afternoon services having a reduction in capacity, not if the Cork route wasn't being protected by replacing ICR's instead of dropping light services this wouldn't be an issue but of course scrapping a few services wouldn't be an option on this route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Hang on a minute here! Am I reading that 2900s are still operating services on the Sligo IC route? No way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Post 4 answers your question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

Not really, there are supposidly a serious suprlus of 22ks, yet it is still routine for long distance (3+ hour) journies to be done with Commuter 29k tincans. Why Irish Rail simply did not allocate an additional 3 car set from this aparent runaway surplus that they have, really makes me wonder what they would do to if there was a shortage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

SeanW wrote: »
    Not really, there are supposidly a serious suprlus of 22ks, yet it is still routine for long distance (3+ hour) journies to be done with Commuter 29k tincans. Why Irish Rail simply did not allocate an additional 3 car set from this aparent runaway surplus that they have, really makes me wonder what they would do to if there was a shortage.

It does answer it; rolling stock which is definitely on hand carries out said trips. While there may be sets spare it isn't a given that they are available all the time and at a drop of a hat; fleet rostering is rather more complex than people think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

It's at times like this that one misses the incisive and impartial comments of foggy lad

• Advertisement

fleet rostering is rather more complex than people think.
    I understand that. But there's this mad surplus of 22ks ... we are to believe that Irish Rail had bought too many 22ks because they bought during the dying days of the Celtic Tiger. With a surplus of trains there shouldn't be any need to have 29000s in Sligo. Period. And it's even more bizarre if they're sending 22ks to the M3 parkway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It boils down to capacity requirements, set locations and links and maintenance schedules.

There are no 22k sets on M3 when the 29k goes to Sligo on Friday, when this is an issue. The set that does several M3 turns in the evening is having its required maintenance exam at that time. It also operates to/from Drogheda later in the day. The set that would normally do the 13:05 is held to strengthen the 15:05 to a 6 coach train as 3 coaches would be insufficient.

On Saturday nights/Sunday mornings the two 3 coach ICR sets that would normally be in Dublin in the morning and on the Sligo route are in Sligo as the three afternoon trains (15:00, 16:30 and 18:00) all require 6 coach trains.

The overall number of 22k sets in service is being dictated by the maintenance budget. They cannot afford to have more sets in service - that's the bottom line.

Using a 29k is not ideal but it also delivers additional capacity over a 3 piece ICR.

lxflyer wrote: »
    It boils down to capacity requirements, set locations and links and maintenance schedules.

There are no 22k sets on M3 when the 29k goes to Sligo on Friday, when this is an issue. The set that does several M3 turns in the evening is having its required maintenance exam at that time. It also operates to/from Drogheda later in the day. The set that would normally do the 13:05 is held to strengthen the 15:05 to a 6 coach train as 3 coaches would be insufficient.

On Saturday nights/Sunday mornings the two 3 coach ICR sets that would normally be in Dublin in the morning and on the Sligo route are in Sligo as the three afternoon trains (15:00, 16:30 and 18:00) all require 6 coach trains.

The overall number of 22k sets in service is being dictated by the maintenance budget. They cannot afford to have more sets in service - that's the bottom line.

Using a 29k is not ideal but it also delivers additional capacity over a 3 piece ICR.

Fully see your point but this is a yearly problem, there can be a ICR's set made available to look after it. When the 15.05 was a 6 piece most days (I am 99% it was back a year or so ago) the reason was that 3 extra coaches couldn't be found for the 13.05 service.

AFAIK 2 or 3 ICR's sets are scheduled out of service every day for work to be carried out then there is the 28 day cycle when all sets have to visit Portlaoise for B exams and so on. Then there is unexpected problems etc.

The problem here is rosters, IE finiancial position which is causing problems for train works and ICR's operating half of the Cork trains daily. Yes some make it easy for stock transfers to Kerry line but that doesn't take around half of the daily services.

It should not be happening, its being like this for years same with 07.10 from Waterford on Mondays.

If Cork services were able to support Mark 4 services (yes some Mark 4's undergoing some work but not many) then there would not be such capacity problems with the ICR's. Its very simple one Cork service could be cut daily and they have plenty of choice which are ghost trains running.

How about running short trains of Mk4s?

lxflyer wrote: »

No its not ideal. That's the only sensible thing you said in that post from a customer point of view.

Put an IC train set where it should be. For years we had this under investment argument. Now we see a defense based on money, despite having the proper trains to provide the service. Honestly, its a friggin joke. I'm amazed anyone can defend this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The availability of a train on Saturday says nothing about the availability of a train on Friday.
    I know you can't reserve a seat on a 29K, but why the hell can't you buy an online ticket anyway?
    Good point
    I need to travel in the UK on Monday and to complete my journey I'll need to use three different train companies, I can do this all on ONE ticket booked online. Two of the trains have reserved seats one doesn't. Why can't IÉ (who are just ONE company) sort their booking system out?
    In Britain, when you go to collect you ticket, you will likely be issued with:
    * Your ticket
    * Reservation for first leg
    * Reservation for second leg
    * Customer copy

Coming back, you will need
    * Another ticket
    * Reservation for third leg (ooh, Matron!)?

In theory, you could do Cobh-Larne (4 trains, 1tram, 3 companies) or Tralee-London (minimum 2 trains, 1 ferry, 1 bus, 4 companies) with two tickets (additional boarding pass required).

Victor wrote: »
    The availability of a train on Saturday says nothing about the availability of a train on Friday.
    Good point
    * Your ticket
    * Customer copy

* Another ticket

In theory, you could do Cobh-Larne (4 trains, 1tram, 3 companies) or Tralee-London (minimum 2 trains, 1 ferry, 1 bus, 4 companies) with two tickets (additional boarding pass required).

Some fence sitting there re the Sligo line. The rest I find irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Some fence sitting there re the Sligo line. The rest I find irrelevant.
    Welcome to boards.ie. Constructive posts only please.

I wasn't fence sitting, I was going straight to the horse's mouth.
    Victor wrote:
    I'm not sure if it has been discussed, but I'm wondering if ticket-only (no seat reservation) web-sales could be enabled, especially for services where reservations aren't available, e.g. certain 13:05 Dublin-Sligo services on Friday and 13:00 Sligo-Dublin Sunday. Potentially it would be different from a station-bought ticket in that it would be tied to a specific train. It may be necessary to limit sales to avoid 'over-booking'. This might encourage people on to the earlier service. Charging €35 as a walk-up fare for a 29000 doesn't make sense when a later 22000 is only €21.99+charges.
    Yes but not doable under the current ticket system. Hopefully in 2015/16.

Welcome to boards.ie. Constructive posts only please.

I wasn't fence sitting, I was going straight to the horse's mouth.

I am being constructive. But since the title of the post is about online booking I will retract my "irrelevant" remark. However the fact remains that running a commuter railcar on an IC route, when loads of ICRs are available is baloney. Once again money is trotted out as a reason and some accept it based on technical data. Its a bit pathetic really. How about we trot out the reason as IE don't give a damn about how they use their trainsets and money is just an excuse from the state dependent semi state that is and always will be...CIE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Perhaps someone in IE is inflicting ongoing punishment on Sligonians for rejecting the Mark 3s and making a fuss doing so a few years back?

• Advertisement

dowlingm wrote: »
    Perhaps someone in IE is inflicting ongoing punishment on Sligonians for rejecting the Mark 3s and making a fuss doing so a few years back?
    Considering they didn't have a coherent plan for the Mk3s anyway I'm not sure why ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

* Your ticket
    * Customer copy

* Another ticket

It's ridiculous the amount of orange national rail ticket coupons that the machine spits out at you, although I never have to pay to wallpaper my house:P. Regardless though, it's still one online booking and one ticket (just several coupons) even though several different TOCs are involved.

Just for pig iron I done a little test on the Arriva Trains Wales booking system. Seems I can book a London to Sligo ticket online leaving London on a Saturday evening and arriving into Dublin Port on Sunday morning. Believe it or not, this ticket is then valid on the 0905 Dublin Connolly to Sligo service (29k operated) even though IÉ can't sell you an online ticket for this train??? You couldn't make this nonsense up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Would love to know how you got on in London Ben http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85075862&postcount=85

Advertisement