Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liveatc EIDW Feed is up AND GOING WELL. Donations to keep it up would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Back to normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

Just as you went back to normal, This came in sound and clear

274120.jpg

oh thats easy I pick them up just leaving Wales loud and clear as they join our ATC

gotta program a few uk airports in and try again somenight.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Razor44

Mech1 wrote: »
    gotta program a few uk airports in and try again somenight.

Careful there pat...its illegal to broadcast uk air transmissions have a look on ATClive about it. Theres a chance they would pull your feed

• Advertisement

Its only illegal there, not here. I checked, if i could put up a heathrow feed from here it would be no business of UK authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Razor44

Its only illegal there, not here. I checked, if i could put up a heathrow feed from here it would be no business of UK authorities.

Ahhh okay ! Last thing I wanted to see was your feed being pulled!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

Hi Pat,
    While you are right in that it is not illegal here in Ireland it is very much illegal in the UK and if you rebroadcast a UK airport LiveAtc will get a polite but very clear letter telling them to stop and requesting your details. You may also get a knock on your door. It's a completely outdated law that has been around for years but they do enforce it. I don't understand the reason for it still to be there as if you walk around LHR any day of the week and there are plenty of guys with scanners and youtube is full of atc clips from the UK. Just my 2 cent, at the end of the day it's your call. If might be worth asking Dave in Liveatc for his thoughts as well. He may have a better understanding but I think the lack of UK feeds says a lot.

Anyway, as VHF is line of sight you would need a very high antenna to pick up aircraft and I would not be sure of you would get anything from the ground stations as they are well over the horizon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

Try London freqs 132.175 129.375 and Scottish 128.050 133.050 123.775 and 129.1 for range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Hi Pat,
    While you are right in that it is not illegal here in Ireland it is very much illegal in the UK and if you rebroadcast a UK airport LiveAtc will get a polite but very clear letter telling them to stop and requesting your details. You may also get a knock on your door. It's a completely outdated law that has been around for years but they do enforce it. I don't understand the reason for it still to be there as if you walk around LHR any day of the week and there are plenty of guys with scanners and youtube is full of atc clips from the UK. Just my 2 cent, at the end of the day it's your call. If might be worth asking Dave in Liveatc for his thoughts as well. He may have a better understanding but I think the lack of UK feeds says a lot.

Anyway, as VHF is line of sight you would need a very high antenna to pick up aircraft and I would not be sure of you would get anything from the ground stations as they are well over the horizon.

The Uk police would need to issue the Gards with a section 12, then the gards have to look into it and contact liveatc and issue a section 8/9 to them for them to release any information on the feed in question.

With there being two different police forces involved they might not bother looking into it.

• Advertisement

Its only fun testing purposes, not attempting to put anything even semi permanent up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

You could try some of the Shanwick frequencies (LiveATC EINN) - you'll get the aircraft out west and should be visible on Flightradar24 also. Politically would be Irish, even if some of the transmitters may be off the island;)

I'm running a Planeplotter feed, so should be able to track distant aircraft heard on the feed. I'll subscribe to this thread so I should get an email if you want to experiment later tonight or other nights (within reason!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Pat, as fat-tony said, tune into the Shannon High freqs and you may even get aircraft coming in from the west coast.

Years ago I used to use my short wave receiver to pick up aircraft over the atlantic. Not always reliable but sometimes it came it clear and as the pilots gave position reports it was easy to plot the aircraft's location.

Just to be clear - I meant Shanwick VHF (not HF). HF range is potentially thousands of miles. You can hear Gander signals no issue on HF.

Looking / listening, East /North from 23.15 for 1 hr max, looking for achieved range so if you hear distant let me know.
    Pat.

250km clear broadcast into Glasgow and receiving ATC also!

Just saw your post and I will try to ID txs.

Because you are hearing only one side of the transmission it would probably be better to have a longer delay before the scan moves on. Maybe 4-6 seconds rather than the 2 you would set for Dublin. Only getting partial transmissions. Traffic will drop off significantly at this stage, though. Very quiet until 6.30 or maybe a bit before when the US traffic starts to appear.

Looks like my best line of sight is into Scotland, gotta remember that as the weather closes in this year maybe some interesting evenings to be had.
    Pat.

Ps, Im blocked for distance West and direct South by the Wicklow mountains:(

Jumping back to normal now, im happy enough with 250Km both sides of transmission:D

• Advertisement

I've got 230 nautical mile range on ADSB reception out to my NE direction (can see traffic in the North Sea beyond Newcastle/Sunderland). Have very restricted to the NW and SW because of the hills around Greystones.

I see you're back on Dublin Airport at this stage.

The only aircraft I could make out earlier on the feed were in the Glasgow/Edinburgh area. This is about 200 nautical miles. This is reasonable on AM VHF. You might get further range with the US traffic as it is much higher (FL37 -FL39), but you would have to try during early morning (6/7 am) or early afternoon.

I heard clear tx from a flight over the Firth of Clyde and Glasgow approach controlling, thats at least 250km according to Google earth ruler tool. I dont know anything about Nautical miles im afraid.:D

Yes it's a quaint hangover in the aviation world - height in feet and distances in nautical miles:D
    The range I get in metric on ADSB is over 400 km - but the aircraft would be at 40,000 feet (er - that's about 12,000 metres)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 declanfoleyirl

anyone in the weston area that has a scanner they want to publish into the community :)

dave@liveatc said he will ship you a little raspberry pi for 50 bucks to let you publish on the liveatc website and he'll set up a link on the liveatc site.

I was going to set up a feed for weston as I have a few spare scanners.....don't ask. I am just waiting on a box to split the cable to arrive so I can use the same antenna for my feeds. I had it part of my feed for a while and the reception was pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

What do one need to set up a feed? ( Weston)
    I have a few scanners at home but i will need a better aerial tho.

Xpro you done need too much really. An external antenna connected to a reciever, a computer that can stay on 24/7 and a mail to Dave in Live ATC to set up the feed. He give you a small piece of software the sends the feed onto him. It's as simple as that!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Roblestone

A weston feed would be brilliant. Could be more interesting than EIDW at times if you ask me... Way more fcuk up's, go arounds, landing without clearance etc. etc. I know its bad but it makes for interesting listening. My receiver can pick up aircraft on the weston frequency but struggles with the tower itself. I'd be happy to give it a try in setting up a feed if nobody else (closer to weston) can set one up. Will a rasberry pi definitely work instead of a computer? Does it have an audio input? Don't fancy leaving my computer on 24/7 but no problem leaving a rasberry pi on.

I dont know anything about Nautical miles im afraid.:D
    Wikipedia wrote:
    One international nautical mile converts to:
    1.852 kilometres (exact)
    1.150779 miles (statute) (exact: 57,875/50,292 miles)
    2,025.372 yards (exact: 2,315,000/1,143 yards)
    6,076.1155 feet (exact: 2,315,000/381 feet or 1,822,831/300 survey feet)
    1,012.6859 fathoms (exact: 1,157,500/1,143 fathoms)
    10 international cables (exact)
    10.126859 imperial (100-fathom) cables (exact: 11,575/1,143 imperial cables)
    8.439049 U.S. customary (120-fathom) cables (exact: 57,875/6,858 U.S. customary cables)
    0.998383 equatorial arc minutes (traditional geographical miles)
    0.9998834 mean meridian arc minutes (mean historical nautical miles)

Full article.

Some extra curricular education today.....:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 declanfoleyirl

i'm using a raspberry pi to provide the current tower feed.

it was quite flaky on wifi but seems to be a lot more stable once i used a cat 5 lead into my internet router.

dave in atc will configure and help you to get it running

Hi Mech1 - just a user report! Not hearing approach (121.1), tower (118.6) or ground (121.8) as at 14.00. Are those locked out on the scanner?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

fat-tony wrote: »
    Hi Mech1 - just a user report! Not hearing approach (121.1), tower (118.6) or ground (121.8) as at 14.00. Are those locked out on the scanner?

I think he said before that if you PM him, he's likely to see it quicker than this thread because he gets an email for PMs or something :)

Sorry guys the Cleaner Lady, (my missus) must have pushed a button this morning, ive been out all day only back to see the problem now, fixed.

Pity Skyfest wasnt today, spent all day in a boat on the Liffey, filming Mrs Browns Boys movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

Pity Skyfest wasnt today, spent all day in a boat on the Liffey, filming Mrs Browns Boys movie.

Oooooh, sounds interesting, do tell... :D

• Advertisement

just a quick glance:D

image.jpg

Public one!

image.jpg

Public one!

Pat i didnt know you were a Ninja :eek:

And now we all know the lengths Pat will go to get an antenna in a good position to improve reception.

andy_g wrote: »
    Pat i didnt know you were a Ninja :eek:

Im not the jumper, but I must be a bit ninja as im on that boat but not in shot:D

• Advertisement

Im not the jumper, but I must be a bit ninja as im on that boat but not in shot:D

Ya had my hopes up :(

last post on this subject, short video of that ninja stunt coming up / you better be ready if you wanna watch it, only going up for 5 min

Gone !!!

He goes through the boat, false bottom in it btw

andy_g wrote: »
    Ya had my hopes up :(

Sorry Andy, im not the blonde onboard !!

Sorry people the feed has been a bit up and down for the last couple of days, first a 2hr power cut, then UPC Broadband upgrade tonight 200mb/s download speed now, was 150 thanks UPC. The upgrade is even cheaper than the old speed:D:D.

Pat.

Thanks for the info on feed problems, sorted again.

Feed will be down for a day or two
    Pat

Thanks for the heads up, Pat.

I'll have to talk to the wife tonight. :D

Got the problem sorted sooner than expected
    all should be fine now. Scanner bit the bullet, new one installed.
    Pat.

Got the problem sorted sooner than expected
    all should be fine now. Scanner bit the bullet, new one installed.
    Pat.
    Sound. Top marks.

:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement