Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocking the leg!?

• 14-06-2013 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

So I crate trained my Jack Russell since birth and it worked with little or no problem. He's a house dog and when I bring him out for his run he also does his toilet when out.

With the spate of fine weather we had for the past 2 weeks, he spent his time out in the back garden only coming in at night and so did his business outside on the grass.

This week it's raining so he's back inside and using the crate as usual except now he's getting into the crate and onto the mat no problem but he's cocking his leg against the crate from inside to pee and totally missing the mat as a result is destroying the floor. Up to now he used to squat so no problem.

He's 9 mths old now so not sure if it's a transition or if it's because he's used to going toilet outside now. I don't want to scold him if it's natural for him and technically he is in the crate. What should I do?

I was thinking of putting in a doggie door into the back door so he could go out to pee when he gets the urge but I have no idea how to put one in! I don't have tools and wouldn't have a clue how to cut a hole for it.

Any advice?

Oh, and he was neutered 2 mths ago so don't think that's an issue

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Maybe I'm reading wrong but have you trained him to go to the loo in the crate?! The whole point of crate training is to take advantage of the fact that the dog won't want to go to the loo where they sleep? What are you cleaning the wee up with?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Beckala

I came on here to ask for advice. How is your post helping me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Beckla, crate training is to be used to house break a dog - i.e. provide them with a safe place to call their own den where they will be reluctant to go to the bathroom. Using this method and bringing them out for frequent toilet breaks you eventually teach the dog that going to the toilet outside is good, inside is bad.

A dog will always be very very reluctant to soil or pee where they sleep as it goes against their nature so it seems a bit strange that you have 'trained' your dog to urinate in his own space.

As for the squatting versus cocking the leg, out 1 1/2 year old make has only recently taking to cocking the leg as previously he always squatted. That being said I crate trained him and he is house broken and therefore always goes outside and always did from 3 months so I dont think the leg cocking is from your dogs recent outside activity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

TK123 asked you perfectly valid questions.

Your initial post suggests that you have trained your dog to go to the toilet in a crate. You call this 'crate training'. Crate training is actually training your dog not to go in the crate because the crate is where he sleeps.

If we are to answer your question properly then we need the initial post clarified. Although with that attitude I'm not sure many will waste their time trying to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Beckala wrote: »
    I came on here to ask for advice. How is your post helping me?

Your post was unclear - how can we help you if we can't ask you questions? For example if you're cleaning with the wrong products the dog will just keep going to the loo in the same spot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It may be that she has a crate set up as a litter box if the dog is indoors all day.

OP, I don't have a male myself but AFAIK males start by squatting to pee but will generally start cocking their leg at about puberty, which he's now hitting. Evolutionarily it's about territorial marking (the higher the pee the bigger the dog, the bigger the dog the fewer other dogs will encroach on his territory).

I don't think there's anything much you can do about it except to look at altering your toileting system for the dog. Perhaps a large, low box filled with earth, with a post in the middle that he could pee on, if you have space, or removing the indoor litter tray completely and getting someone to come let him out to toilet in the garden at lunch time, or installing a dog door so he can go in and out as he pleases. If keeping the crate is a must look at swapping it for one with solid plastic sides so that the wee hits the wall of the crate rather than splashing out onto the floor.

Toulouse wrote: »
    Crate training is actually training your dog not to go in the crate because the crate is where he sleeps.

Not necessarily, some people use the crate as dogs territory (onsuit room) its bed and its toilet mat. You especially see it in apartments were there is not much space, i first noticed they do it in Spain. To cover night time and bad weather.

With regard cocking the leg. Some dogs never end up cocking their leg, its just one of those things. I have a dog that will cock his leg dependent on were he is or if there is a need for it.

Advertisement