Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you become a swim instructor?

• 14-06-2013 1:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭

i've started to realise I may want to pursue a career in this rather than what I'm doing in college. I'm good at swimming swam from an early age and had lessons but didn't continue as I had a slight fear(now over it) and also because of the money. I've have always had a passion swimming. However I haven't done competitive swimming. I'm 20 . Is it still possible to become a swim instructor? I'd have the money to pay for any expenses.
    Would it be best I join competitive maybe a masters swimming and spend a year or two there to gain some experience before going for the certificate?
    Or how does it work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Your best bet is to align yourself with a swimming club, do your level 1 instructors (assistant Swimming teacher) this will allow you to instruct under supervision. Get a couple of hundred hours up, then do your level 2. At that stage you can work as a swimming teacher in your own right. To go beyond that and do competitive coaching (level 3) which is geared towards club coaches etc.
    Level 2 is perfectly adequate to instruct classes, prepare lesson and season plans. You'll be able to get insurance through Swim Ireland etc.
    It's also worth doing a 1st aid course and a lifeguard certificate if you are serious about it, they will both be valuable assets if you want to make money at it.
    To be honest, without actually basing yourself in a pool and working full-time there, it's difficult to make decent money at it without working late evenings and travelling between pools in Ireland.
    Many local council pools do have pool hire times and will facilitate, but keep in mind they usually run their own lessons etc. and it is tricky to start up your own courses without poaching clients etc. They will all act to preserve their own business interests.
    Its a tight market, and quite competitive, so don't expect it to be easy, and be prepared for a level of animosity from the established instructors.
    If you are happy to stay within the club organizations or to work as an employee of the established ones, you will fare out fine. Just keep any ambitions to yourself until you have a plan formulated.
    A big boom over here in Oz has been the Triathalon movement, coaching sessions to get expert runners and cyclists up to speed on their swim events. Many squads have done very well over the past number of years, but the growth has started to slow down this year.

Best of luck with it, PM me if you have any questions that you don't want to ask out loud (I'm well out of it now and will give you straight answers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

As a swim coach myself (not a teacher), if you are looking at going into the swim teaching, then do the level 1 and 2 teaching through Swim Ireland.

You should also look at doing (at least) level 1 coaching. It will be of benefit and if you doing teaching level 1 first, it is easy to get.

All the information on courses and licensing can be found on Swim Ireland website.

http://www.swimireland.ie/education-development/

Note you will need to do the child welfare course before you are allowed take part in any training course and work with children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Do I start off with the ASA level 1 working with people with diabilities first? before working with others?

I had a look at that site I can't find where any of the courses start?
    Would it be beneficial for me to first do some competitive training in the masters first? maybe get a few lessons myself just make sure I'm still doing the strokes right.

Do I start off with the ASA level 1 working with people with diabilities first? before working with others?

I had a look at that site I can't find where any of the courses start?
    Would it be beneficial for me to first do some competitive training in the masters first? maybe get a few lessons myself just make sure I'm still doing the strokes right.

List of courses can be found here

http://swimirelandeducationcourses.wordpress.com/currrent-list-of-coursesseminars/

Its no harm to swim yourself. As a level 1, you are their to assist the level 2 teacher. But the more your know the stroke/drills, the better you will be able to deliver and ensure the swimmers pick it up correctly.

All strokes are explained and taught during the Swim Ireland courses.

okane1 wrote: »
    List of courses can be found here

http://swimirelandeducationcourses.wordpress.com/currrent-list-of-coursesseminars/

Its no harm to swim yourself. As a level 1, you are their to assist the level 2 teacher. But the more your know the stroke/drills, the better you will be able to deliver and ensure the swimmers pick it up correctly.

All strokes are explained and taught during the Swim Ireland courses.

Thanks oh right the one I'd be going for starts today , I'll keep a look on the site. Are the courses generally 1 year or 6 months?

• Advertisement

Thanks oh right the one I'd be going for starts today , I'll keep a look on the site. Are the courses generally 1 year or 6 months?

The length of the courses are shown on the website.
    Generally Level 1 is one weekend (2 weekends if you need to do unit 1).
    Level 2, could be 4-6 weekends. I know level 2 coaching can be between 6-8 weekends.

okane1 wrote: »
    The length of the courses are shown on the website.
    Generally Level 1 is one weekend (2 weekends if you need to do unit 1).
    Level 2, could be 4-6 weekends. I know level 2 coaching can be between 6-8 weekends.

Oh cool I looked at that I just thought it seemed short thought it'd be longer.
    I'll see when the next level 1 unit 1 is on and try it out.
    It looks like something I could be interested in.

Is it best I do the the child welfare and ASA level 1 then go for the lifesaving course afterwards? and maybe do both swim teaching and life guarding on the side?
    And than do the level 2 afterwards?
    I'm thinking of trying out the competitive masters for a while before going for the ASA.

Advertisement