Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

company pension scheme closed

Options
  • 30-05-2013 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi, I just found this thread and don't know if its still open. My friend has just been told that her company db scheme is closed and that she will have to organise her own pension with a much reduced pot. She is distraught as she has been with them for 19 yrs and felt safe in the knowledge that she would have at least something put by for her old age. has she any comeback at all?. Would a solicitor be a waste of money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

More info needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 savvy lady

hi anxious. I don't have any more info on this at present. It seems amoral to treat people at this stage in their lives in such a manner. There will be a cohort of older people aged between 60 and 65 from now on who will be impoverished having relied on this once sure thing at the end of their working lives. And to top it all, a government who are indifferent to the plight of the private sector employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

moved to new thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Has she paid 19yrs of contributions?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

Refer her to Paul kenny the pensions ombudsman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 savvy lady

19yrs of occupational pension. She did not have to contribute until 3 -4 yrs ago.DB scheme funded by employers, but presumably could be seen as part of her salary . It was definitely part of her original contract. I think maybe the legal route is the way to go, because it appears the scheme was not very well managed and some exceptions were made for a chosen few.
    Thanks for input, folks

Advertisement