Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help!

• 14-06-2013 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi guys, does anyone know the quickest way (and where) I can obtain the qualifications to work as a carer?? I was told there's 8 modules (Fetac 5) and I have to do at least 5 of these... which 5 I don't know and a lot of places I'm ringing don't seem to know either! I'd like to work with the elderly or intellectually disabled.

Tks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Where are you living.... Hcts or health care training solutions does one module over 3 weeks one day a week in duleek.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 craig1975

I'm in Dublin 15 so yea it's doable, I'll give them a ring, maybe I can do 5 modules over the 3 weeks. I have the time and my boss is willing to pay for half, tks joey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭SusanneKn

Hi.

You will have to dofive compulsory modules and two elective ones.

The two elective ones differ from place to place but these are the main ones:

Palliative Care
    Care of the older Person
    Occupational First Aid
    Introduction to nursing

The compulsory modules are:

Care Skills
    Care Support
    Communication
    Infection Prevention and Control
    Workplace Statutory Policies and Procedures

To get your full FETAC level 5 National Certificate in Health Service Skills you will have to do work experience. Work Experience would be your sixth compulsory module.
    If you start it now privately, you have to finish all your modules by Dec 2014 as from next year on, the FETAC level 5 for Health Service Skills will change.
    The reason why you will have till 2014 is for people who already started the course this year and work full time as well, will have the chance to complete their course.

Advertisement