Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax return

Options
  • 14-06-2013 6:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Sorry if this has been done before just wondering the fact if been working away from home (out bush) and need all the the following for work, can I claim for:

I dopped my phone in a puddle and had to by another one

Phone credit, they only people I call between 6am-6pm that uses credit are work mates

Prepaid internet credit that I need for sending and receiving emails on my laptop

Smoko snacks

I hear you can claim $300 without receipts along with everything you have receipts for, work wear, tools etc.

I am awaiting my medicare exemption cert

I flew to Melbourne at easter to do a course can I claim the flight

Mossie spray that doesn't have sun cream as i'm in the tropics and need it

Shower gel, shampoo, washing powder.

And anything else you may think can be claimed.

Thanks for any input;)

And does anybody know what percentage of the money spent you get back, thanks again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

You can also claim back your accountant's fees for preparing your tax return.
    Get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cikearney

I was talking to an accountant, but I don't think she was very helpful and don't think she was keen on giving me the info I wanted as a forenier trying not to screw the tax system but get what is rightfully theirs. The lady in the phone shop reckons I can claim back for the phone and credit but nobody I know seems to know and I read a post recently about someone saying a friend, the usual, was working out bush and claimed for phone credit.

I trying to get information from a forum on the interweb, where others may have previous experience claiming these expenses so I don't look like a tool when I chuck it all at the accountant not small minded ignorance.

But cheers for filling me in on the accountant fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

They generally won't give out too much information for free. But beware, the dodgier accountants aren't really doing you any favors, If you get audited, and there is fraudulent information on your tax return, it all comes back on you in any case, the accountant has almost zero liability.
    It depends on whether you are planning on sticking around long term or if you're just here for a year or two as to how you do your tax return. If you have got the receipts and evidence together, engage a decent tax accountant it might cost you $100 it might cost you $250, either way you get all of that back on next years return.
    What state are you in ?
    I can point you in the right direction for a couple of pretty honest ones that won't leave you exposed, but I know a good few people that use hooky ones, get big returns etc. but may be massively exposed if they get audited.

In the nt I'm not looking for a dodgy account, just looking to see what I can claim, I have all my receipts for everything that I think is work related. I'm just hearing all sorts of crap from people saying i can claim for this and that as I'm working out bush as you said I'll have to make an appointment and have a sit down with someone.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

cikearney wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been done before just wondering the fact if been working away from home (out bush) and need all the the following for work, can I claim for:

I dopped my phone in a puddle and had to by another one - No unless it is solely for work purposes. Might be able to argue that it was damaged carrying out your work duties.

Phone credit, they only people I call between 6am-6pm that uses credit are work mates - Yes for the work percentage

Prepaid internet credit that I need for sending and receiving emails on my laptop - Yes if you are required to do this for work. Question may be asked as to why work don't supply you with internet if you need it to do your job.

Smoko snacks - No.

I hear you can claim $300 without receipts along with everything you have receipts for, work wear, tools etc. - You can claim to a max of $300 without receipts. If you go over this amount, you need receipts for the whole lot. i.e. if you claim for $301, you need receipts to prove ALL of these expenses.

I am awaiting my medicare exemption cert - You will be able to lodge without it.

I flew to Melbourne at easter to do a course can I claim the flight - Not sure but don't think so. Unless it was through work, you can claim for work related travel expenses. Again if this is the case the question could be, why did work not pay for the flights.
    If you paid for the course yourself, you would be able to claim for it if it is related to your occupation.

Mossie spray that doesn't have sun cream as i'm in the tropics and need it - Yes you probably should be able to justify this one.

Shower gel, shampoo, washing powder. - Washing powder, yes, in a way. You can claim for washing work clothes. (So much per load)

And anything else you may think can be claimed.
    Overtime meal allowances if they have been paid in accordance with an award.
    Sunnies
    Work Tools
    Work clothing
    Union fees
    Sunscreen
    Travel Expenses if you use your car to carry tools to and from work
    Parking and tolls fees
    Home office supplies if needed for work purposes - Stationary, printer ink, paper etc.

Thanks for any input;)

And does anybody know what percentage of the money spent you get back, thanks again - Depends on the rate of tax you pay. Whatever your expenses are, you get the tax portion back i.e if you earn between $80,001 and $180,000, you pay 37% on this portion of your wages. So if you claim $10,000 in expenses, you would get $3,700 back.

You can claim for absolutely anything you like, you just need to be prepared to be able to justify that it was a genuine expense, otherwise you will have a nice fine to pay.

• Advertisement

Perfect, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks

Advertisement