Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

British and Irish Lions vs Waratahs, Sat 15 June 10:30am; Sky Sports 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Interesting decisions to be made if Roberts is out. I think J Davies has been outstanding on this tour but it's all been at 13 and he's had very little time with BOD. Tuilagi was only alright in his appearance but he played 12 and built some familiarity with BOD

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭WorldRugby99

Buer wrote: »
    Gatland name checks Zebo as an afterthought, he's in contention!

Roberts looks to have torn a hammer. 36 for the test!

davies went well but would they play davies and o driscoll together? a lot depends on tuilagi and if hes fit-gatland would want his power and physicality you would think if roberts is out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

SOB and Murray have seen their chances recede significantly today without being involved. I can't imagine how frustrating that must be

And neither have put a foot wrong. Murray has been dealt a really raw hand. Playing better than Phillips and Youngs imo and SOB is streets ahead of Warburton

Tox56 wrote: »
    Interesting decisions to be made of Roberts is out. I think J Davies has been outstanding on this tour but it's all been at 13 and he's had very little time with BOD. Tuilagi was only alright in his appearance but he played 12 and built some familiarity with BOD

I would strongly contest that. I thought Tuilagi was actually really really good at inside centre that day. Probably one of the most selfless and professional appearances I've ever seen him put in.

trouttrout wrote: »
    The commentary on this tour is infuriating. Farrell was shocking when he came on, 3 or 4 woeful kicks and offered no breaking threat yet you had Barnes blowing smoke up his hole at every opportunity

in fairness to farrell,with no roberts last 10 minutes lions were a player short in backs so kicking probably the best option.

SOB and Murray have seen their chances recede significantly today without being involved. I can't imagine how frustrating that must be

Murray was always going to need an injury really, SOB couldn't have done much more but at least he should have a shot at the bench

in fairness to farrell,with no roberts last 10 minutes lions were a player short in backs so kicking probably the best option.

Kicking aimlessly down the middle wasn't though

Scott Quinnell with absolute rubbish there on Warbs.

Kicking aimlessly down the middle wasn't though

not disputing kicks could have been better,but just saying with a man less kicking was the better option

Heaslip had a quiet first half but he was everywhere in last twenty minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Hottowel

The commentary on this tour is infuriating. Farrell was shocking when he came on, 3 or 4 woeful kicks and offered no breaking threat yet you had Barnes blowing smoke up his hole at every opportunity

Yeah it's bizzare that montage to Sam warburton when he had no turnovers (he got one in 2nd half) poc had three clean turnovers. Gatland said warburton would be picked on form only and only at 7 there is no way he's playing better than tipueric.

Croft went very well in fairness, sob has more to offer coming off the bench than croft so for that reason I think croft will get nod to start at 6 (before anyone mentions his line outs I think heaslip won as many as croft). Warburton will start 7 and think hell go with falatu at 8. My personal backrow is

6 sob
    7 tipueric
    8 heaslip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i wish they'd get that red thread off the camera. i've wiped the screen twice already before realising it's not on the screen!

I would strongly contest that. I thought Tuilagi was actually really really good at inside centre that day. Probably one of the most selfless and professional appearances I've ever seen him put in.

+1

Was really impressed with how selfless he was in that game

He had his moments but it wasn't a display like J Davies tonight for instance

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Big winners from today:
    Davies showing steady hands, good link up play, good breaks. Bod / davies may not be such a bad idea, but completely contrary to gattys plans

Awj, pretty much secured his test spot.
    Parling to come through tuesday injury free for bench spot

Tom youngs, starting to be harder to argue for hibbard, youngs has great darts, great tackling, more effective in open play.

Croft, extra line out option probably nails on his test spot.

Big losers:
    Maitland. With wing spot available, he was disappointing. Weak tackling, not involved enough and hogged his wing.

warburton, he may not be 100% fit, and he may be good enough to be lions captain, but the cold truth is there are players in his position who are simply playing better than him currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Nice Tom croft highlights reel there

Quinnell again talking rubbish, this time about Felatau!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Scott Quinnell is a dinosaur. He's George Hook in waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

I disagree with it but Croft will start and SOB will be on the bench.

It's not that SOB can 'cover' each back row position, he's a real force in each of them.

His tremendous versatility is what's most likely to put him on the bench

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Am I missing something here regarding Sam Warburton? He seems a very ordinary player to me and the fact that he's a guaranteed test starter is slightly worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

No abuse of pundits/players tolerated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

This was the lions best display so far, could beat the Aussies 3-0 and easily at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

BNMC wrote: »
    Am I missing something here regarding Sam Warburton? He seems a very ordinary player to me and the fact that he's a guaranteed test starter is slightly worrying.

He'll start next week because he is captain. I think it's a fair enough call overall. Don't think Heaslip did enough to oust Feletau today. Poor from that five yard scrum and only really came to prominence in the last twenty when the 'Tahs tired. Thought Zebo was fantastic particularly first half. Really great attitude that kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

.ak wrote: »
    No abuse of pundits/players tolerated.

Sorry

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭fitz

Reallyy don't know how anyone can suggesting Faletau as a starter, Sky panel really drive me nuts at times.
    Davies had a much better second half, pack was good, Tipuric should start ahead of Warburton, but won't. Maitland played himself out of contention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

I disagree with it but Croft will start and SOB will be on the bench.

It's not that SOB can 'cover' each back row position, he's a real force in each of them.

His tremendous versatility is what's most likely to put him on the bench

I think he is just really unfortunate with the way the games have fallen so far, and which ones he has started. Others in his absence have staked their claim whilst he hasn't done much wrong. He could easily have been a nailed on starter had he played today, or had those that did start have an average game.

In any case, I dont see the back row staying the same for all the tests. He will without question start a test, possibly two, and be in the 23 for all

Rightwing wrote: »
    This was the lions best display so far, could beat the Aussies 3-0 and easily at that.

They certainly won't beat them easily, and I think 3 nil is very unlikely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Quint2010 wrote: »
    He'll start next week because he is captain. I think it's a fair enough call overall. Don't think Heaslip did enough to oust Feletau today. Poor from that five yard scrum and only really came to prominence in the last twenty when the 'Tahs tired. Thought Zebo was fantastic particularly first half. Really great attitude that kid.

Please tell us what Faletau has done more impressively than Heaslip. Basing a performance on one scrum is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Im not going to abuse Quinnell however he's blatantly got his Welsh goggles on.

He was quite forthright saying Faletau should play 8 based on: him hitting rucks, ball carrying and dynamism.

Sorry Scott , Heaslip does all of the above and on THIS tour has done all the above BETTER.

Simple as that and reassuringly that seems to be a consensus amongst english/scots im reading on forums.

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Don't think Heaslip did enough to oust Feletau today. Poor from that five yard scrum and only really came to prominence in the last twenty when the 'Tahs tired.

Faletau doesn't need ousting. He's the one who is trying to get the spot from Heaslip. I would have thought it was clear enough going into today that Heaslip is well ahead in the race for the jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

First proper back line defence from 9 - 13 and it shut down Phillips and kept Roberts mostly under check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

IMO,

Winners:
    Davies: was composed, clever and had a hand in nearly all the tries, plus the nearly try for Zebo.
    AWJ: Was very good in every aspect. Clicked with POC.
    Croft: Tough on SOB, bit croft seems to bring something different here. Great tackling, great in the lineout and some nice work at the breakdown.
    T. Youngs: Great Darts, Great tacking and hit the rucks well. My starting Hooker tbh.
    Zebo: Not in terms of a test starting place, but great to see Zebo in the Lions jersey. One of the better performers on the day and didn't look at all out of place. Aussie TV tipped him for a bench position for the 1st test. I'm not so sure, but he certainly belongs on the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

Davies was good going forward, shaky going back.

Ya Heaslip is nailed on really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Heaslip was much improved in the second half may have saved his test spot. Ton F needs a big game to jump pass him IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ha, "Faleteau has to play". genius.

also, Warburton must be behind SOB and Tipuric. I have faith that Gatland is not an idiot.

"Warburton obviously answering any questions today" <turns off sky>

razorblunt wrote: »
    Heaslip was much improved in the second half may have saved his test spot. Ton F needs a big game to jump pass him IMO.

The mere fact that he'll probably be starting on Tuesday will work against him. Brumbies is going to be a really tough game. Can't see many, if any, starting that game and then starting next Saturday.

Piss off Quinnell

I think Heaslip is there, they were clearly not throwing to the second rows in the first half in particular, 2 expert lineout forwards. Heaslip + Croft took pretty much every ball in the first half

"Warburton obviously answering any questions today".. What the feck??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Piss off Quinnell

Heaslip will start at 8 he is talking *****

Tox56 wrote: »
    I think Heaslip is there, they were clearly not throwing to the second rows in the first half in particular, 2 expert lineout forwards. Heaslip + Croft took pretty much every ball in the first half

"Warburton obviously answering any questions today".. What the feck??

That made my blood boil

That's 3 minutes of Scott Quinnell talking without saying anything. This is a skill that should not be undervalued and could well lead to a long career in business consultancy, politics or the priesthood.

you may as well not have the warm up games if Warburton and Faleteau start the 1st Test.

same with Hibbard. Youngs has been far better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

Piss off Quinnell

Turned off after that. Quinnell is an idiot.

Ya Youngs really set himself apart from Hibbard today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

OK, the Sky panel have me bamboozled.

Tom Croft and Sam Warburton were apparently brilliant today and controlled the breakdown.

The question then arises later on about Phillips pace to which they back him up saying that he was getting slow ball. Well who's fault is that?

The question then arises later on about Phillips pace to which they back him up saying that he was getting slow ball. Well who's fault is that?

Wallace said that so he didn't have to hear Quinnell defend Phillips.

pro-Welsh nonsense from him the whole time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

SlickRic wrote: »
    ha, "Faleteau has to play". genius.

also, Warburton must be behind SOB and Tipuric. I have faith that Gatland is not an idiot.
    SlickRic wrote: »
    you may as well not have the warm up games if Warburton and Faleteau start the 1st Test.

same with Hibbard. Youngs has been far better.

Lads we all know Warburton starts at 7, we've all known that since April 30th.

On form he's nowhere near the Test side. I admire your faith in Gatland, and agree he is not an idiot, but he's also not going to put his hands up and say "ok i got the captaincy wrong". So Warburton starts simple as that.

Croft is playing really well and if he gets the nod at 6 i can't complain too much.

However if Faletau starts 8 (irrespective of what he does tuesday) then serious questions need to be asked.

Ditto if SOB doesnt make the 23 (which is still possible).

Ditto if Tipuric doesnt make the 23.

If i see the name Lydiate in that 23 it'll be a shambles, he's been the worst of the bunch and not the same player since his injury.

• Advertisement

Phillips was well marshaled today and his bad delivery came to the forefront and suddenly he's a very average player. The Australians are going to do the exact same thing next week as they have done in the past

Advertisement