Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall Mounted Aquarium

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

You might get a better answer in the aquarium section above.

An aquarium is hard enough to look after properly as it is. I just see this as being alot harder to look after.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 scan

Knine - Thanks I have just reposted in the aquariums section too

Dre - I don't really understand your point - I thought the beauty of this tank would be that it would be very easy to look after - why would you think it would be harder?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

I wouldn't recommend them personally, as they are only 15 cm from front to back, which isn't great for the fish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

scan wrote: »
    Dre - I don't really understand your point - I thought the beauty of this tank would be that it would be very easy to look after - why would you think it would be harder?
    I can see a few reasons; sitting on the wall means it's harder to access; being narrow makes it harder to change water (don't believe their spiel about self cleaning etc. as it will not be) and clean it in general and of course you'll need a very sturdy wall to hang it on as you'll have ~100kg hanging on what ever mount you use and that's before we even go in on what fish you can use in a 70L 15cm wide aquarium!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

They are nowhere near large enough in size to keep any but the tiniest fish happy.
    Getting down to the bottom of a tank to clean the gunk out of the substrate is a big enough pain in the arse without having to stand on a chair to do it.
    The extreme narrowness of it means that if you have to get a net in to catch fish it'll be very tricky.
    Would your really feel confident with about 100kg or water and electronics attached to your wall?
    The annual maintenance schedule that they're recommending is completely laughable. Half the water should be changed weekly, and filters should be cleaned in tank water on a monthly basis.
    Aquascaping would be nigh-on impossible.

If someone put a gun to my head and told me that I had to have one I'd use it for nothing larger than shrimp, maybe an apple snail.

Plus, you have to love 'Highly recommended by the place that sells them' as a marketing tool.

You'd pick up a nice second hand ~150L tank on Adverts or Donedeal for less money. Significantly less money that The Pet Centre is charging for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

There is no such thing as a filter that only needs to be cleaned once per year.

Every filter needs to be periodically cleaned (mechanical media especially) as the mechanical media gets clogged and water flow reduces considerably.

Unless you are meticulous about your water quality, you'll end up with algae on the glass and this will be a nightmare to clean off in a tank like this.

If you plan of having real plants in there, then these would quickly grow to a size that would block swimming room around an aquarium of that size.

Because of the narrowness, you are artificially limited in the types of fish you can keep. 70litres is fine for many fish, but the narrow width means you will have to exclude all but the tiniest fish. As your fish grow some would end up in a cruel state where its difficult for them to turn around, etc.

As for the "only takes minutes to set up".....Bollox.

OP, this tank is a gimmick, unsuitable for pretty much anything serious.
    Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 scan

Thanks for all the replies - much appreciated.

I think it is pretty safe to say - I will not be buying this tank.

Advertisement