Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queens Of The Stone Age - Nov Arena Tour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

The band were in top form last night, setlist was awesome with a few surprises.

I had a bit of a bad experience in the crowd though. People much taller pushing in past me to stand in front, that **** annoys me. Had a go at a few lads over it - they turned out to be D4 heads off their tits on coke (talking openly about it). I've no problem with the moshing either but the majority moshing were the same lads who went quite when the likes of Monsters in the Parosil or even Misfit Love were on. It got a bit crazy in fairness. Jumping and dancing is one thing, but throwing kicks and elbows and busting into people isn't on. Maybe it helps if your pissed but I was pretty sober and just trying to enjoy the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

ratedR wrote: »
    The band were in top form last night, setlist was awesome with a few surprises.

I had a bit of a bad experience in the crowd though. People much taller pushing in past me to stand in front, that **** annoys me. Had a go at a few lads over it - they turned out to be D4 heads off their tits on coke (talking openly about it). I've no problem with the moshing either but the majority moshing were the same lads who went quite when the likes of Monsters in the Parosil or even Misfit Love were on. It got a bit crazy in fairness. Jumping and dancing is one thing, but throwing kicks and elbows and busting into people isn't on. Maybe it helps if your pissed but I was pretty sober and just trying to enjoy the gig.

Occupational hazard unfortunately. Suss out your spot as early as possible. If youre not in a good position, pogo your way to a better one.
    If youre near the mosh circle, move away from it, youre gonna get an elbow in the face.

Anyway, enjoyed the gig immensely. Not sure how many times ive seen them now but never disappointing.
    Thought the big venue would be detrimental to their interactiveness, and the crowd would be too 'lets go mental' lairy. It was just about right. Some idiots around but no more than usual where i was.

On the sound, i thought it wasnt great. It wasnt bad, i just thought it couldve been better. Minor complaint really.

Loved Josh's comments as usual about getting loaded and fcking each other and the image of a guy running '12 blocks with a big mac in his hand'.

'Im the man on tequila'

Misfit Love and Better Living made my night.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

Am I seriously the only person who noticed Homme sang the second verse of I Appear Missing twice and forgot to sing the first verse?
    How drunk were you all?!

Anyways, it was my only gripe, loved the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

threein99 wrote: »
    Missed the gig last night because my mate flaked out, so I am listening to the songs in the order they were played thanks to setlist :o

You should have gone anyway. I went by myself and had a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Loved Josh's comments as usual about getting loaded and fcking each other and the image of a guy running '12 blocks with a big mac in his hand'.

'Im the man on tequila'.
    yes, mine too.. even if he haven't said that it felt s they were making love to (impregnating :d)) us through music an there was nothing vulgar about it : o)
    i dont think this has anything to do with genders : o)

=======================
    edit:
    btw i felt this on very very few concerts only and i was to many

btw yes the sound was not great and i do not like o2 for this kind of concerts the space is too big
    but this last nite was so good that nothing can spoil it, still under the impressions and high : )...............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

Occupational hazard unfortunately. Suss out your spot as early as possible. If youre not in a good position, pogo your way to a better one.
    If youre near the mosh circle, move away from it, youre gonna get an elbow in the face.

I did, not my first time to the rodeo and certainly not my first time seeing Queens. There was no getting away from that mosh circle once it started either.

Ahh, I hate to complain, ****ing love the band and they were awesome. There's always a few scrotes around though.

Loved the "It's Mikey's birthday today, and he's 14 years old!" comment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

What an epic show... truly one of the greatest bands of this century. Was my first time seeing them out side of a festival and it was just amazing. As mentioned above, there was a few knobs in the crowd but thats expected. I was at the left of the stage about 3 rows back and had an awesome view.

Wish I was in Belfast tonight :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

ratedR wrote: »
    I did, not my first time to the rodeo and certainly not my first time seeing Queens. There was no getting away from that mosh circle once it started either.

Ahh, I hate to complain, ****ing love the band and they were awesome. There's always a few scrotes around though.

Loved the "It's Mikey's birthday today, and he's 14 years old!" comment :)

I know what you mean tho, when that mosh circle started i moved outta the way.
    I was stood next to their biggest fan, arms in the air for every single song. Glad he moved forward, chuffin annoying he was.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Anyone else think that the sound, especially the vocals was a bit muffled at times?

I noticed it for Sweethead but I thought it might've been because they were pretty poor. But then there was a lot of feedback and a couple of times there were weird noises like someone had pressed keys on a keyboard by accident.

Then when Queens came on it was a bit better but the sound wasn't perfect.
    Squelchy wrote: »
    Am I seriously the only person who noticed Homme sang the second verse of I Appear Missing twice and forgot to sing the first verse?
    How drunk were you all?!

Anyways, it was my only gripe, loved the gig.

Yeah I noticed. I sang "Calling all comas" and he didn't, so my girlfriend turned to me to tell me I got it wrong. Needless to say, she didn't believe me when I told her the guy on stage who had wrote and was performing the song was the one who had gotten it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Yeah I noticed. I sang "Calling all comas" and he didn't, so my girlfriend turned to me to tell me I got it wrong. Needless to say, she didn't believe me when I told her the guy on stage who had wrote and was performing the song was the one who had gotten it wrong.

:D
    Cheers for the affirmation - I was beginning to think I was losing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

On a side note, the body on the Sweethead singer - oh lawdy!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Getronicle

I Appear Missing from last night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

Beekay wrote: »
    Went on my own last night as I haven't got friends who listen to QOTSA. Absolutely loved it. First time seeing them and the set list was great. Only song I wasn't familiar with was Misfit Love. Crowd were in great form and really enjoyed the moshing.
    His speech to the security was very fitting as I had the just witnessed security being very aggressive with someone and threatening them.

Crowd really opened up for Song for the dead.

Opened up is one way to put it. It was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

On a side note, the body on the Sweethead singer - oh lawdy!

Troy's missus apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Suas11 wrote: »
    You should have gone anyway. I went by myself and had a great time.

True

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Anybody get the setlist?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

Great gig, love when the crowd sing the guitar parts, first time I've seen a crowd singing the guitar parts since Metallica.

Does the QOTSA drummer have distortion effects on one of the floor toms, or was that just the speakers maxing out. Sounded more like a distorted guitar than a tom for some of the songs.

The sound was pretty bad for Sweethead, with the bass guitar overpowering everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

grabbed a ticket last minute for the gig! good decsicion on my part lol , iv been a fan of queens from songs of the deaf but not a big enough fan to know most of their songs(like big tracks from the album) that wernt commercial given a release , but always bought stuff, but when like clockwork came out, i absolutly loved that whole album , came from nowhere tbh lol but iv never seen queens before and im glad i decided last minute , very good live band ,great band to see live and get into, i was at the back being a boring pr*ck but i wanted to see what my mates were make a fuss about , solid gig for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Huge gaping chasm of difference between Dublin and Belfast shows.

Venue, crowd, setlist, band energy levels and interest.

Homme introduced "Kalopsia" with "...this is a love song" only for two kids to start beating the tar out of each other right under his nose.

The earnestness with which he spoke about the Dublin show was made more tangible when juxtaposed with the Belshaft shrugs and furrowed brows. Crowd went suitably nuts for "Feelgood Hit" and he said something along the lines of "Aha... that got ya, huh?".

Front row eyeopener for me was what an incredibly subtle guitar player Van Leeuwen is. On something like "Make it Wit Chu" for example. Astonishing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Wooderson

The Odyssey really is a poor venue though. I mean I slag off the O2, but thats an impressive setup in comparison.

Odyssey is, frankly, drab and uninspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

I hope next time they r in Dublin there 'll be some VIP tickets?.. not sure if there were some this time but I went to buy tickets as soon as they were released and these were not on offer..

I also didnt know how O2 is set up for this type of concerts and that I would not be able to go to standing area..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

My girlfriend was telling me a story there last week.

Her housemate came out with a beaut that "rock music will be dead in ten years, sure there are no good rock bands out there!"

My gf disagreed and was asked to name one, she named QOTSA and your one said "sure they only have one song" (I assume she was on about No One Knows).

I hate her housemate.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

The only other person I know who likes QOTSA as much as me is abroad studying in China for the year. To say she was sickened she couldn't go would be an understatement. I sent her a few wee clips and looking back I still can't believe how good it was.

Burn the Witch and Make it Wit Chu were great singalongs. No one Knows too. I was just blown away by Better Living. Un-fucking-believable.

I was kinda hoping for some songs off the self titled (I was listening to that way too much coming up to the gig), but I'm not gonna complain in the slightest. Sickened I missed the Olympia gig 2 years ago! :P

Aside from one or two festivals, this was the first proper concert I've been to. I feel I've set too high of a standard for the next few concerts I go to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭holton

Yeah, brilliant gig in Dublin. But wished they had played the Belfast setlist! Would have loved to have heard First it Giveth and Feel Good...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Quite a good setlist. Delighted we got I Appear Missing though, and Long Slow Goodbye is an odd choice. Only saddened to have not heard First it Giveth, but I wouldn't let it detract from how good a gig it was.

Still getting hyped up moments when remembering stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Here's a couple of short videos I caught.
    Sorry they're not longer but I didn't feel like standing around like a spare tool when everyone else was going nuts!

Little Sister
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2YrItXwJpY

Josh tells everyone it's Mikey's 14th birthday
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdE3NJdHT5Q

I have a small clip of Go With the Flow and No One Knows that I'll throw up, they are very short though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

End gig video. I thought the visuals were great for this gig. It really added a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Has anyone come across and good reviews of the Dublin and Belfast gigs?

Advertisement