Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

charlieIRL wrote: »
    The problem is that I am in bother, last 4 rounds it took at least 7/8 holes to get a decent drive away but when it clicks I'm fine. Scrambling and short game was saving me. I know what I have to do now though.

Do they have a range or area you could hit a few swings at or near your course. Could be worth getting there a bit early to hit 20-30 balls so you're hitting the course with the loose shots out if your system?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Do they have a range or area you could hit a few swings at or near your course. Could be worth getting there a bit early to hit 20-30 balls so you're hitting the course with the loose shots out if your system?

The problem is that he would use up his daily quota of 10 or 11 good drives if he hit 30 drives at the range :)

6 or 7 is his magic number to get out of his system ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Back playing on fairways today (without placing too) - noticed my striking is going to need fine tuning, new game from tight lies and in slight hollows and divots - placing makes my striking lazy.

Happy with game but, working on a few routines in all my game - couple of triggers in swing - routine and putting.

+1 over for nine.

Hopefully making progress again - seemed to stall there for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

Back playing on fairways today (without placing too) - noticed my striking is going to need fine tuning, new game from tight lies and in slight hollows and divots - placing makes my striking lazy.

Happy with game but, working on a few routines in all my game - couple of triggers in swing - routine and putting.

+1 over for nine.

Hopefully making progress again - seemed to stall there for a few months.

Ya Fix im in the same boat, im thinking next winter im either going to play as it lies if its ok and maybe drop if not, placing all the time is abit of a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I'm at a loss trying to figure out where my game is at.

Today for example I played in that thick fog. The 18th was the first green that I could see a flag on when hitting in. Up to that you had to be inside 50 yards to see the pin.
    Today's card. 35 points off 6.

Par,bogey,bird,par,d bogey,bogey,bogey,bogey,par,bogey,birdie,par,bogey,par,par,d bogey,birdie,par

I think I can definitely feel some consistency coming back into my game but I need to iron out bad double bogeys. One I had today on the 16th was from 150yds out from the flag after a drive. That's poor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Can't see how placing on the fairway makes any odds to your striking. Most of the time all you are doing is cleaning the mud of your ball.

IMO if you don't clean and place, hitting a ball covered in mud will tell you nothing about your ball striking. The behavior of the ball is too unpredictable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

PARlance wrote: »
    The problem is that he would use up his daily quota of 10 or 11 good drives if he hit 30 drives at the range :)

6 or 7 is his magic number to get out of his system ;)

Har har!!

Ah no, am working on it and hope to come out of the blocks firing in portumna!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

ssbob wrote: »
    As long as the weather stays good, should be back on the golf course tomorrow evening for the first time in two months. Will report back then.

Reporting back, had a shocker, only 1 par in 9 holes. Think I hit one good shot in the approx 50 I took. Not gonna get on a course again before Portumna so gonna have to try hit the range:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Fifth lesson today down in mount Juliet. Had a lesson and then went out and played three holes with the pro. Starting to see decent results. Irons are getting there whereas the driver is still in progress. Trying to implement a good few changes but the swing in starting to feel a little more natural after about two months of feeling like a lump hammer in my hands

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Fifth lesson today down in mount Juliet. Had a lesson and then went out and played three holes with the pro. Starting to see decent results. Irons are getting there whereas the driver is still in progress. Trying to implement a good few changes but the swing in starting to feel a little more natural after about two months of feeling like a lump hammer in my hands

How are you finding Sean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Excellent to be honest. Went to him about 15 years ago in a different venue and played the best golf I ever played.

He has me swinging wider on a better plane and also working on keeping my legs quieter and more stable on the back swing. Am starting now to see the results. Getting a much purer strike with the irons. Still struggling with the driver but finally saw some decent progress yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Accuracy with the irons is letting me down. Seem to be getting my body closed to the target when setting up. Not huge misses but then puts pressure on short game. Think I need to just get into a routine and stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭jokser250

34 points today in fourball , everything deserted me after 9 holes . Had to do some scrambling to make odd par and few bogeys and held a nice 12 footer for par on 17 for the team . Hopefully get a few practice holes or range in tomorrow and see if I can sort out a few things ahead of monthly medal next weekend .

First cut of the season from last Fridays Open in the European. Had 36 points and CSS was 35. 17.2 -> 16.9

Makes all the work over the winter somewhat worthwhile.
    Striking irons better than every, new putter can't be any worse, driving still not as consistent as it should but when it's good, it's good.
    All over to short game work from now on.

Hoping to get another cut or two in before bambino #2 arrives in a month or so. Have a feeling that's not going to have a positive effect on the golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭judosean2005

I aint playing too bad for a change.
    Last 2 rounds have been:
    39 points=5P,8B,4D and 1S
    34 points= 13B,4D and 1S

Driver isnt going far. Maybe around 200-220 mark- so would like to lengthen it a bit.
    Puttin is poor though.
    And short game. 50yards or less killing me. Runnin past hole all/ or miles short.

But at least im scoring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Strange round this w/e. 19 on front but putting for first 6 was just atrocious. 3 putted first two and missed one from 12 inches on 6 before I stopped caring...and started making them :D

Of course you'd think 19 pts with crap putting would signal good things to come on back 9 with it sorted...but not this game,no siree bob.

2 balls wild slice on 11 off tee after super driving all day. Bladed a wedge through the green on 16. Air mailed the green on 17 by 20 yards with a 9 iron into deep deep trouble. Had to make birdie on 18 for 4 pts to make 36.

Strange, strange game. Still feel the game is there. Matchplay qualifier next weekend. Never made it through for various reasons. Plan is to play conservative and hopefully make it. Watch this space.

First cut of the season from last Fridays Open in the European. Had 36 points and CSS was 35. 17.2 -> 16.9

Striking irons better than every, new putter can't be any worse, driving still not as consistent as it should but when it's good, it's good.

Hoping to get another cut or two in before bambino #2 arrives in a month or so. Have a feeling that's not going to have a positive effect on the golf.

And it was enough for 3rd Spot!!! First ever podium finish :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭SEORG

Game is in good shape at the moment. Have been out 7 times Feb/March with scores all in the 30's for 14 holes..

Still lift, clean & place though so not getting ahead of myself.. lots of short game practice for March/April....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Very good shooting for The European AJ. I won a singles comp there with a 33 last year. Fair play and hopefully the cuts keep coming for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

the lawman wrote: »
    Very good shooting for The European AJ. I won a singles comp there with a 33 last year. Fair play and hopefully the cuts keep coming for you.

Pity more courses aren't like this where you need 40+ pts to be in with a shout of a prize. Maybe more clubs should use their back tees to even the playing fields and have 36pts as a likely winning score.
    What was the prize like in The European, green fee vouchers for more rounds at The European? Normally when clubs do this it's a bit of a cop out for an open competition and rather stingy but The European is one of a few where return visits are always welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Pity more courses aren't like this where you need 40+ pts to be in with a shout of a prize. Maybe more clubs should use their back tees to even the playing fields and have 36pts as a likely winning score.
    What was the prize like in The European, green fee vouchers for more rounds at The European? Normally when clubs do this it's a bit of a cop out for an open competition and rather stingy but The European is one of a few where return visits are always welcome.

Twas a four ball voucher all right. Any day and no time limit. Great prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

12 over around Corballis today.

Excellent score in very hard conditions - one bad hole lost the ball. Wrong club.

But other than that I had to hit about 20 punch shots - most of the time it was a 3 club wind , the greens had just been cut and the wind was just blowing the ball all over the place on them.

The best I've played in a while. I think sometimes the wind distracts me from destructive swing thoughts. Was unlucky landing in 3 divots - I'd love if they could sort that out there. Greens amazing.

GUI there doing a survey of course for an upcoming Senior Cup.

So game has been up and down can be level to 2 over for a nine - go out next day be 8 over for same nine.
    This game is crazy. But what a great little country we have for golf.

This golf thing is getting serious - Sunday was the first United - Liverpool match I missed in maybe 20 years. (Other lad booked tee time).

I went to the driving range tonight for a bit of practice as I haven't got to play since esker hills. First time ever to leave because I was so frustrated. 90 balls, good few stretches and warm up. Used PW first - 10 balls to centre of 100yard green. Driver - damm slice back for first time in about a year. Sorted that out after about 15 odd balls. Worked on 75yard shot, no problems. Took out my sw to work on <50yard shots - 1st fine, 2nd 45degrees right, same with 3rd,4th - 15th f'n ball. Stood back few deep breaths - next 5exact same. Took a break and came back only for same again. Tried my 6 iron - same thing. Tried 9 iron - same thing. Lost the head then and gave my daughter the rest of the balls and threw my clubs into the boot in disgust. Thankfully the range was empty!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

I went to the driving range tonight for a bit of practice as I haven't got to play since esker hills. First time ever to leave because I was so frustrated. 90 balls, good few stretches and warm up. Used PW first - 10 balls to centre of 100yard green. Driver - damm slice back for first time in about a year. Sorted that out after about 15 odd balls. Worked on 75yard shot, no problems. Took out my sw to work on <50yard shots - 1st fine, 2nd 45degrees right, same with 3rd,4th - 15th f'n ball. Stood back few deep breaths - next 5exact same. Took a break and came back only for same again. Tried my 6 iron - same thing. Tried 9 iron - same thing. Lost the head then and gave my daughter the rest of the balls and threw my clubs into the boot in disgust. Thankfully the range was empty!

Oh the dreaded"s
    Try putting the ball further back in your stance or play it off back foot, short swing... works for me 😀

At times like that I just grab the putter and see if I can putt it out straight onto the range :)

Builds up the confidence once I stop shanking my putts, usually only takes 10 balls ;)

Head up Charlie, in my experience those bad days are followed by a brilliant day (or an equally bad day.... but I wasn't meant to type that ;) )

You've just shot up to favourite for Portumna

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

mafc wrote: »
    Oh the dreaded"s
    Try putting the ball further back in your stance or play it off back foot, short swing... works for me 😀
    Putting the ball further back in the stance is bad advice, it'll likely present the hozzle to the ball first and tbh without seeing Charlie swing, blanket advice is next to useless anyway.

That's frightening how you can vividly recall all the sh1te shots you hit, sounds like all you achieved this evening was ingraining all the bad things in your swing and the bad emotions that they invoke.
    Charlie going to the range hoping to find your game is a recipe for disaster and you'll drive yourself around the bend (some days it'll go ok and somedays like today it'll be sh1te) you have to know what it is you want to work on, the range is supposed to be about fine tuning your game not hitting and hoping, and the best (and only) way to do this is go see a pro first and work out a strategy to improve your game overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Don't worry about it. This happens to me regularly on the range. Someone in another thread mentioned it too. But gone out on the course. Never sure why but just one of those things

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭slingerz

Im going ok short game and putting for improved from atrocious to pretty shíte! for 17 holes at the weekend i had 40 points, 22 points for the front 9 & 18 for the back 9. no prizes though. front 9 tougher than back 9 but scored better, kinda lost my focus on the back 9 which seems to happen to me a bit to be honest.

Charlie going to the range hoping to find your game is a recipe for disaster and you'll drive yourself around the bend (some days it'll go ok and somedays like today it'll be sh1te) you have to know what it is you want to work on, the range is supposed to be about fine tuning your game not hitting and hoping, and the best (and only) way to do this is go see a pro first and work out a strategy to improve your game overall.

I wasn't heading to the range "hoping to find my game," I was going to work on my driver with a bit of chipping practice - there is grass tees at one of the ranges i use. I've had a block of lessons and still practice the drills i was given at the time - no point in practising the wrong thing is there?? I don't get to a course much for practice so the range is all i have at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Putting the ball further back in the stance is bad advice, it'll likely present the hozzle to the ball first and tbh without seeing Charlie swing, blanket advice is next to useless anyway.

Works for me, which I said.....:D

Advertisement