Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭scubapro

Got my first HC today , 21 . My best round was 24 over so I hope to be playing to my handicap soon enough .

My ball striking of late has been good from driver to wedge it just my short game that's needs alot more attention . But exciting times ahead now "I'm a real Golfer " with my card to prove it ðŸ˜႒ðŸ˜႒
    Congrats Danny, best of luck going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Got my first HC today , 21 . My best round was 24 over so I hope to be playing to my handicap soon enough .

My ball striking of late has been good from driver to wedge it just my short game that's needs alot more attention . But exciting times ahead now "I'm a real Golfer " with my card to prove it ðŸ˜႒ðŸ˜႒
    Well done Danny, official welcome to the club. Get yourself registered on brs now so you can access the online booking system for GC. Comp booking opens at 7.30 am on Monday for the following Sat & Sun.

Anytime you fancy some company getting out for a game in the comps let me know & if I'm around I'll happily head out with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Well done Danny, official welcome to the club. Get yourself registered on brs now so you can access the online booking system for GC. Comp booking opens at 7.30 am on Monday for the following Sat & Sun.

Anytime you fancy some company getting out for a game in the comps let me know & if I'm around I'll happily head out with you.
    Cheers mate , Will definitely take you up on the offer to tag along with you as I don't know anyone from the club yet .

Registered on the Brs earlier on but club have to register the account before I can use it . I'm playing elsewhere tomorrow but hope to play my first comp next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Rikand wrote: »
    Going to go to the range tonight for the first time in a long time. Wife is heading out of town for the night, so I'm a free agent :D

Just back from the range. Started with my wedges, worked my way up through the irons and then Driver....

I shanked my first 4 drives.

Took out my 8 iron, shanked that too. Spent the rest of the session, curing my shank, which I was able to do, THANK GOD.

I'm never going to the range ever again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Just back from the range. Started with my wedges, worked my way up through the irons and then Driver....

I shanked my first 4 drives.

Took out my 8 iron, shanked that too. Spent the rest of the session, curing my shank, which I was able to do, THANK GOD.

I'm never going to the range ever again!

Serves you right...you had a free gaff..you should have been at home making the most of it ;):pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

After a terrible introduction to the Barton cup last weekend, the wife sent me out to clear the head on Sunday morning. Firt medal of the year and after I couldn't controll the ball during the match, I felt in total control on Sunday. 88 strokes in tough windy conditions. Driving and putting way good. Have to start trusting myself over the ball more. I know how far I hit ever club, just need to be more positive. Also found out that I'm actually good at reading greens, need to trust that also.

Take conscious though away, and this game would be alot easier.

Loire wrote: »
    Serves you right...you had a free gaff..you should have been at home making the most of it ;):pac:

Ha! You are indeed right.

I can't drink though. Promised my parents I would pick them up tonight after a wedding. I'm sitting at home playing computer games for the night instead. Just as good, if you ask me :D

(would be better with a beer in hand though.... )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Driver - Very solid last two rounds. Closing the face a bit and losing distance, but hitting lots of fairways.

3/15 deg Fairway - Best club in the bag.

Hybrids - Not as reliable as they were earlier in the year. A few fat ones and a few pushed. Might have something to do with not placing.

Irons - Something clicked at the range this week. Felt better than ever today.

Wedges - Gap and lob not great right now. Hit a few fat one's last week and have lost a bit of confidence going at them.

Bunkers - Massive room for improvement.

Chipping - Very good. Hard work paying off.

Putting - All over the place. Some days good, some shocking. Will be main area of focus next month.

Mental - Excellent. Just focusing on the current shot, although concentration slips the odd time.

Course Management - Improving. Need to be prepared to take the meds more often and stop going for the risky escape that often ends in deeper trouble.

Very happy all in all. Looking forward to the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

5th lesson in mount Juliet today and finally starting to see some positive results.

Started off two months ago with the club coming in too much on the inside with a shut face which led to a horrendous hook when the timing was off.

Have with working on getting the club going back wider with a neutral face and this week am starting to see a more consistent strike and ball flight. Also changed my grip as the old one was very week so lots of new changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Fanny Brioscaí

Not sure if anyone suffers the same but at the moment i am struggling with my new irons ( ping I20 ). I go to the driving range and can kit them no problems and get good distance and a good connection on most shots but out on the course it's the complete opposite, it's very frustrating. I seem to be catching the ball clean and not hitting the ground. I know it's me not coming on my shots?

Any tips or words of wisdom?

I played Glen of Downs yesterday afternoon playing off 20 and i had 28pts with 4 scratches, very poor over all. The greens were good but my putting was terrible, i left to many short but the greens were tough to read and judge, the driving was ok happy enough with that but still plenty of room for improvement. The 17th hole i hit a perfect drive and my second shot was a 4 iron at 200yrds and on to the green, probably the best shot i have ever hit and pared the hole - i missed a birdie opportunity 6 feet from the hole. I hit the 4 iron perfect, i knew as soon as i hit was going to be good but that's the frustrating part for me. The driving range no problems but out on the course it's not happening

I was thinking of going back for a more lessons with my new irons which i got fitted but friends think i just need more practice and to be out playing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I'm so bad off the tee, that it hurts :(

Going to book a lesson this week and for the next 2 months I'll be practicing nothing but with my driver and 3 wood.

Unless I can get the ball off the tee consistently I'll never ever drop my handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I would echo what your friends are saying Quaint, it sounds like the more course work the better.
    I would be similar enough, the transitition from range to the course isn't easy for me at times.
    The range will disguise a lot of small errors that the course won't let you away with.

Keep the faith, 28 points from a bad day isn't the worst, you're probably closer to getting it right than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

My game is finally coming around a bit. Funny enough when I've the sanctuary of my home course it's a lot easier to "find" my game than at some course that I'm not familiar with. Had a lesson during the winter and like the above posters, I was hitting it well at the range after but couldn't transfer it onto the course.

I'm still not 100% confident in what I'm doing but I had a 79 yesterday and a 77 today in the club championship qualifier (par 71, 8 h/c). So things are definitely improving but I know my chipping and especially my putting are allowing me to score 3 or 4 shots better than I feel like i should be getting. 1.7 putts per GIR (29 overall) today after 2.0 (31 overall) yesterday mean that you really do putt for dough because my fairways hit and GIR stats could do with improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

What a difference a week makes, last Sunday I was lethal off the tee hitting 9/11 fairways, this weekend 3/14. 7/11 misses were missed left. Hit a lot of pulled draws. Happy with the ball flight, but not 100% why I was hitting so many pulls. Feeling like I'm getting inside a lot more regularly & easily though which is a positive. I usually have to swing quite flat with the driveror 3w to hit a draw but was able to take away on a more neutral plane & drop into the slot.

Long approach play was mediocre, but inside 100 yards was pretty sharp. Putting was very solid, 29 Putts & could realistically been 25-26 with a couple of lip outs.

Big negative was I lost 4 balls today, can't remember the last time I did that, and gc is a pretty open course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Havent been playing as much as I would have liked lately, Had a very mediocre 32 points off 6 on saturday and went out for 9 last night(God bless long evenings) and was finding most fairways, 6/9FIR but couldnt hit a green to save my life. 2/9 GIR which is shocking, seemed to have lost distance, was lasering the pin from one of my shots was 155 yards, no wind, comfortably an 8iron, hit a flush 8 and coming up 10/15 yards short. No idea whats going on. Twinged a muslce in my shoulder aswell, not a good days work!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Played Headfort New today.Could have done so much better but I'll get to that in a bit.

The course is fantastic, its basically a Golf Course in the middle of a reserve and some of the views, even between holes, are just stunning.

So, the excuse lol

Literally got three and a half hours of sleep last night, the dog was driving me mental banging doors and whimpering I just gave up and got up at 6am after only getting to bed at 1am.

Driving was really good apart from the last 3 holes where I think I just ran out of energy, before that I made 13 fairways and none OOB off the tee all day with the driver. Drives were coming in at 230-260 and considering the state I was in I was delighted.

Making good contact with the irons but drawing them 20yards left of target all day. It meant I got real friendly with a lot of greenside bunkers, a good few taking two shots to get out which resulted in a lot of the doubles and some trebles.

Really wasn't on form today physically or mentally due to lack of sleep but happy with how it turned out considering.

Best shot of the day. Crap 100 yard drive, decent three wood then a 5 wood to 10ft of the pin from 200yds out on a par 5, made Par.

Worst, a few but on the 17th I think I gave up half way through the swing, club nearly followed the ball into the lake, and I had it the whole round!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Funny old game. Head was wrecked after terrible shooting yesterday. Went out today and couldn't put a foot wrong. 7/9 GIR. 4 birdies. Think I might have just been tired or something yesterday. Ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

Had my best game of the year on Saturday at Palmerstown, 83 off 13 for a nett 70, 10 pars, 1 birdie :), 3 bogies, 3 double bogies, and a triple bogie :mad:. At last I'm starting to see of my work over the last couple of months pay off, the short game, especially out of the (very wet and compacted) bunkers is killing me, but seen a big improvement on the greens though, really looking forward to getting stuck in this summer and get the handicap down to single figures hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lads - whatever you do and if you can , get out there today and hit a few holes. Best day of the year - short sleeves. Was after a night shift and was just amazing to see the early morning mist rise over the course. Was pure madness to go play as was a bit wrecked - but hey. :)

I've a new mind coach on Board(S) ;) - it is a symbiotic relationship, as we are both a bit mental. Was a bit down in the dumps with my golf and some stuff going on off course. Maybe wasn't a great time to be taking on major changes in game, but was also thinking, ok - give it another try before the summer starts starts. Reading John Daly's Autobiography - he was saying so many people tried to change him over the years - but he decided to stick at it his way. I'm still not certain on that yet - but so many people say work with your real swing.

So was delighted to play as well as I have in a while - in fairness, conditions were perfect.

Ended up 3 over for 12 - no 3 putts. Just failed to get up and down 3 times and never got a birdie to drop. Was out the other day practising short stuff and noticed how untidy it has become. So this is what I'm working on now and for next while. It is going to be hard , but will have to give up rounds of golf to practice this. Not an awful complaint.

So this game would make a fool of you - or maybe you make a fool of your golf.

Either way - get out there and enjoy in short sleeves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

3rd time this year yesterday I was wearing just a thermal with the sleeves rolled up. Really looking forward to summer golf, only caught the tail end of it last year when I couldn't really enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

This game!

Lunch time range session with just the driver and 3W. Hit some solid shots after reading an article by Butch Harmon last night in which he says save the speed for the downswing and take it back slow. Swinging hard on the backswing only leads to more problems!!

Got 9 holes in this evening and hit the ball well...long way to go though! Finished birdie birdie! Have a lesson on Saturday penciled in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

In the last couple of rounds I've developed a low snap hook. Think its got to do with the speed of my takeaway.
    Pitching has improved over the last couple of months, I've used the pelz method which has really helped.
    Chipping is now my big worry, have lost all my feel with it now. Getting very confused with setup and how to play them. Need to really improve this area if the handicap is to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Feeling very positive about my game. Have discovered a nice touch with the putter, been putting a lot of work into short game/chips. New range finder has given me great confidence for 50m - 110m shots. Driving the ball as well as I have ever done. Hard to explain the 26 points blip last Saturday but am looking forward to next Saturday now to put the record straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

So it is only a game after all - or is it. For some of us on here , golf is part of our lives. Maybe too much - yes, too much.

2 weeks ago, was at an all time low - golf, some other stuff wasn't helping. Started convincing myself, I couldn't play as a single figure golfer - as I never had officially - was just lumped with a very low handicap from the off.

Putting fell apart - confidence totally went. Said to one of the lads , going to go off and get myself sorted, talk to a pro. For once it worked. Two quick lessons , fat grip on putter and plenty of practice.

39 pts off 8 today - with back to back birdies. We should ban all the golfer sayings of, "left a few out there" - you never talk about the stuff you got away with. But was delighted to have 6 good birdie chances.
    Had a trebble bogey and a double (lost ball). and still ended up 6 over.

So a big step. I've learned so much from the lads on here reading posts - and from playing with some of them - no matter what level.

Important thing, is to do it again. Well maybe not. Just enjoy playing good golf.

Looked out at the sea on 4 and it was so still - I could have looked at that forever. But that would be considered slow play and the flag had to be taken out :p

Banged putt in for a 2 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Played some sexy golf today. Tees well back and only placing on fairways. Hit every club well. Loving it.

http://golfshot.com/rounds/detail/95-21578357-21578465

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Wombatman wrote: »
    Played some sexy golf today. Tees well back and only placing on fairways. Hit every club well. Loving it.

http://golfshot.com/rounds/detail/95-21578357-21578465

Bit confused.....what you playing off ?

I had a lesson today...dear or dear!

I'm all over the shop, bottom half needs to be a lot quieter.

I think Golfshot computes and adjusts the HC itself as the rounds are entered.

Are most those rounds club comps?
    If yes, Tuam should consider a new HC sec :)
    As per golfshots calculation you're really about a 13, you're 18 at present?..
    You've averaged about 40+ points a round since the start of the year?!?

Serious shooting and improvement.

thought golfshot did it like the american system. When I had golfshot on my phone, it had me playing off 5 after 20 rounds, but before that, it was catching up from 18 for a long time.

handicap can pretty much be ignored, just look at the rest of the stats it provides :)

• Advertisement

thought golfshot did it like the american system. When I had golfshot on my phone, it had me playing off 5 after 20 rounds, but before that, it was catching up from 18 for a long time.

handicap can pretty much be ignored, just look at the rest of the stats it provides :)

Ya, it was the rounds of 80,80,81 that I was going by when looking at it. That's 46 point stuff off 18 (on the phone so can't do the "eek" face :) )

Advertisement