Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Bit confused.....what you playing off ?

When I started with Golfshot I felt I could play to about 18 so I put this into the system as my handicap. I have worked very hard on my game since, as I have explained in other posts and the scores are now reflecting this.

The majority of the rounds are casual, either on my own or with buddies but not in competitions. I don't enter many competitions, when I do it is mainly for the company.

My GUI handicap is 20. I got a handicap of 18 five years ago, wasn't taking the game seriously, played a few comps and ended up at 20.

There is a break in the Golfshot stats also but I'm trying to record all my full rounds again since Feb.

I have entered one competition this year (see Golfshot) and I came third on a count back. I also played well in the two comps I entered towards the end of last year (not in Golfshot as I got out of the habit of recording between Sept 2013 and Feb 2014.

mmx61.jpg

xft5hx.jpg

I would love to have a lower handicap in the club. I'm not really interested in winning competitions, just playing good golf.

Is there any way I can use this info. to get them to change my handicap?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Jesus Wombatman, you must have to find gear with 4 sleeves to keep all those shots up them :)

I was thinking that most of your rounds must be casual because if not the HC Sec should be shot ;)

There's not much you can do apart from handing in 3 supplementary cards, and I'm not even sure that they can be used whilst winter rules are in place (?)

But throughout the year we're entitled to turn a casual round into a supplementary round on 3 occasions. You just have to inform them in advance that you're going to be using it as a supp round.
    I.e you can't go out and shoot a blinder and then decide to use it afterwards.

That's unreal progress over the winter, you're flirting with single figures if you're flirting with 70's.
    Clean out that trophy cabinet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Wombatman wrote: »
    When I started with Golfshot I felt I could play to about 18 so I put this into the system as my handicap. I have worked very hard on my game since, as I have explained in other posts and the scores are now reflecting this.

The majority of the rounds are casual, either on my own or with buddies but not in competitions. I don't enter many competitions, when I do it is mainly for the company.

My GUI handicap is 20. I got a handicap of 18 five years ago, wasn't taking the game seriously, played a few comps and ended up at 20.

There is a break in the Golfshot stats also but I'm trying to record all my full rounds again since Feb.

I have entered one competition this year (see Golfshot) and I came third on a count back. I also played well in the two comps I entered towards the end of last year (not in Golfshot as I got out of the habit of recording between Sept 2013 and Feb 2014.

mmx61.jpg

xft5hx.jpg

I would love to have a lower handicap in the club. I'm not really interested in winning competitions, just playing good golf.

Is there any way I can use this info. to get them to change my handicap?

Just confused by golfshot as I saw 43 pts for +11 round from a 13 handicapper but then as the lads say thats what golfshot does.

Great shooting - you should see your handicap drop like a stone once qualifying kicks in !!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

You know the trip to a range after you've had a lesson and you can't hit the ball out of your way? That was me tonight but one lesson isn't going to make me a major champ! So plenty of range time over the next few weeks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I had the exact opposite tonight Keano - couldn't hit a ball wrong all night!! Was even able to hit my 3 wood and hybrid again! The new shaft in my 5 iron felt great too. I also got new grips at the weekend. Pro measured my hands and fingers and fitted the grips to suit, the feel fantastic.

Now its probably a bit of a placebo effect but hopefully it will last!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭SEORG

My driving and iron play has been fairly good over the winter so I have been concentrating on my putting for the last 3 wks as I was leaving too many putts short.
    Changed my grip and now hold the putter a lot softer in my hands, I used to hold the putter the same way as my irons and had been taking the putter too far back and not releasing the club through..
    After about 1hr practice most days for the last 3 wks I'm beginning to see results. 4 birdies and not one putt left short last Sunday, looking forward to summer golf and trying to get to single figures.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I recorded two videos of my mental but effective swing last night, am just trying to figure out how to rotate them before posting them!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Took another trip to the range tonight. A waste of time. So many thoughts going through my head that I hit the last 15 balls in 30 seconds. Going again tomorrow and only working on getting weightshift and upper body turn right.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Ben1977 wrote: »
    In the last couple of rounds I've developed a low snap hook. Think its got to do with the speed of my takeaway.
    Pitching has improved over the last couple of months, I've used the pelz method which has really helped.
    Chipping is now my big worry, have lost all my feel with it now. Getting very confused with setup and how to play them. Need to really improve this area if the handicap is to improve.

Well the chipping has hit a new low. To make things worst, was practicing foursomes and we missed alot of greens. So it goes like this - fat chip 1 foot in front of me, then next hole blade a chip that runs through the green. At this stage my brain is fried. When I'm over a chip now, my head says don't do this and don't do that.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had a very dodgy round last week and started to get concerned that my winter form was leaving me just in time for qualifying - which is exactly what happened last year !!! :rolleyes:

But got out twice this weekend an despite a malfunctioning driver managed 34 pts for 16 holes on the Sat.

Singles matchplay qualifier stroke in tough conditions Sun morning at home. Got a flyer from the rough on 1 to start with a DB. Was +6 after 4 and thinking of yet another year of not qualifying (this is my 5th year trying). But managed to settle down and play remaining 14 holes in +5 for 69 nett and I'm in the competition....won a share of the 2s as well :D

Very happy with the mental strength I showed to dig in when things were going against me. I would have crumbled this time last year in similar circumstances. So still on track :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only because you put this in ;)

This is a routine I go back to when my chipping is in the sh!tter and was recommended by a teaching pro friend of mine.

Now, we're not all fitness freaks - so try the same thing, but put your right toe on the ground, very lightly, just for balance. The key here is that your left leg is dominant and that you are keeping the club out by your left toe.

Just make 8 to 4 swings as well (imagining 8 o'clock, 4 o'clock). You should start catching the ball better and what will happen is the ball will take a very similar ball flight and roll out in the same way.

I just took a screenshot of this, the video goes past this image quite quick, but its important. Note club position out towards the left toe. You want to have it out there with weight on your left hand side

rbzghy.jpg

Hope it helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Well the chipping has hit a new low. To make things worst, was practicing foursomes and we missed alot of greens. So it goes like this - fat chip 1 foot in front of me, then next hole blade a chip that runs through the green. At this stage my brain is fried. When I'm over a chip now, my head says don't do this and don't do that.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Practice and stick with this short game technique and it will pay dividends over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Practice and stick with this short game technique and it will pay dividends over time.

great link Norfolk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

The rest of the series on chipping is fantastic too, it prompted me to sign up to their website.

Thanks lads, will give them a look tonight. I think its the area that will really see my handicap drop. If I don't get it sorted I think my foursomes playing partner should be looking for a new partner.

That or he should hit more GIR. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Nice video.

Just a question.

Are there many on here who would go as low as a 6 for that shot.

Im on a nine, but not great at that to be honest, may go lower after watching.

Nice video.

Just a question.

yes and this is the reason as it made perfect sense to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTCpkYqF8Ig

Nice video.

Just a question.

I've used as low as a 4 when everything was going well. Just like a short putting stroke for me. Get it rolling as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I've used as low as a 4 when everything was going well. Just like a short putting stroke for me. Get it rolling as quickly as possible.

Ben , i think my tempo is fast, after watching that video, i see how fast my tempo is,
    so if i use a low loft , it would roll out too much.

Will see , maybe my tempo suits higher loft.

Will test out.

Ben , i think my tempo is fast, after watching that video, i see how fast my tempo is,
    so if i use a low loft , it would roll out too much.

Will see , maybe my tempo suits higher loft.

Will test out.

For tempo just imagine you are putting with loft - this is how Ray Floyd described

http://www.pga.com/golf-instruction/golf-tip-day/putting/putting-loft

• Advertisement

Nice video.

Just a question.

I would've been the same as you, but i've been working hard on my short game for the last month and i get the best results by trying to get the ball rolling as soon as possible.

The follow up video in this series is about the 30y pitch/chip and they suggest using a PW rather than a 56 or 60. Previously i would've gone straight to the 60, but last night practicing i was getting much more consistent results with the PW.

I have been mocked about using the mid irons for chipping "may aswell get a jigger" has been said. But feck it, its starting to help my game.

hades wrote: »
    The rest of the series on chipping is fantastic too, it prompted me to sign up to their website.

Have to pay for that ?

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Have to pay for that ?

Yup, i signed up for a month for €6.50 or $8.99

It sets up a monthly recurring charge to your paypal account, but i canceled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Hurt my back on Monday at work. Second drive of the day today nearly landed me on the ground but tried to walk it off. Had to walk back 3 holes to the carpark only able to carry the bag (yes,the damn carry bag I just bought) with my left hand/shoulder. Took me about 20 minutes.

Happily enough its only bruised muscles.

Better day at the range today. Took some videos but I've noticed I'm very flat the top of swing. Going to discuss that with my pro on my next visit. Will try get in one more session this week as I'll be away most of next week so no time to prsctice.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭bluebottle102

Haven't played much since the new year but I've gotten out 3 times in the last ten days. Shot +14 and +16 the first 2 days I couldn't have been worse so out I went the third day with not much expectation. Ended up shooting level par for my best ever score!!! Had 12 birdie putts in the 18 holes, made 5 of them!!
    Golf is a funny auld game :-)

That's a big jump! What handicap you off?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭bluebottle102

That's a big jump! What handicap you off?

Playing off 9. But have played only a handful of times since the New Year. Pretty erratic from +16 Monday to level par Wednesday. Nice personal achievement all d same :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

ball well back, hands well forward, use the lowest lofted club you can for the situation your in. Virtually impossible to fluff a chip if you follow those 3 steps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Got out today, back was still gave me a few twinges but overall not bad.

Started strong but got a phone call on the 4th that ruined the game for about 6 holes, then came back on form.

Some pars,alot of bogeys and some triples when I had a meltdown.

Putting really let me down but my driving and irons were in decent nick considering. Wedge work was pretty decent, just not up to as good as I wanted it. Back on the putting green it is.

Advertisement