Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

Still playing par 3 while my wrist is injured. Had a disaster round of 83 then played another right after it and shot a 70. Being delayed getting to a full size course over injured wrist and just picked up a new driver that I can't swing property yet. I've only hit maybe 6 balls with it. I need to work on putting. I'm wasting strokes on the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

Well, its official, i can't hit the driver to save my life. Pretty much every second drive is a big swinging slice and its starting to break my heart.

Played 5 holes last night and just used the 3w off the tee and was much more consistent, hitting 4/4 fairways and 3/4 greens. (the fifth hole was a par 3).

Having measured my drives with the 3w on my skycaddie i'm averaging out at around 215m or 235y off the tee, so i'm not loosing a whole lot of distance in comparison to my driver. So i just have to use an extra club when approaching the green. At least this way, i have a chance to go for the green, rather than having to poke the ball out from the trees :D

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

Definitley getting there.. Getting back into this game is hard work but getting the odd few hours to work on specific movements and they are starting to feel more and more natural. Hitting the ball well and long, I seem to have gained a few more yards on the return and the work I have done with my pro. Hit a 525 yard par 5 into a tiny breeze with a drive & 5 iron to the middle of the green. Long game is feeling solid but alignment is still a little off and my pitching is a disgrace. My bad shot is either the big push cut or snap hook both coming from the same issue -
    As a positive my pro said my issue is the same as Tigers with my hands being too quick so my body can't clear in time so at least 1 comparison to the worlds best golfer :p...

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭the greatest game

was playing great for most of the winter, and up to about four weeks ago, since then its went bad, tried a new driver ( mistake) back to my old one, and drives are coming back a bit, dreaded hook from driver which was gone for so long, raised its head again... Why ? I just dunno ?
    have got 8 point ones back in a row..unwanted,

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Played 18 holes yesterday and played some solid stuff.

Then a lesson this evening, dear oh dear! Lots of work needed without the ball in the coming weeks. Have to work on more upper body turn and keeping the bottom half quiet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

was playing great for most of the winter, and up to about four weeks ago, since then its went bad, tried a new driver ( mistake) back to my old one, and drives are coming back a bit, dreaded hook from driver which was gone for so long, raised its head again... Why ? I just dunno ?
    have got 8 point ones back in a row..unwanted,

Almost certainly sounds like you are putting too much pressure on yourself. Just try to relax and enjoy the game. Advice from somebody who was in the exact same place last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Played 18 holes yesterday and played some solid stuff.

Then a lesson this evening, dear oh dear! Lots of work needed without the ball in the coming weeks. Have to work on more upper body turn and keeping the bottom half quiet!

Sounds like me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Playing well enough the last two rounds. Hitting a draw off the tee which is nice, just getting used to how much I want it to draw.

Irons are good, contact is much better. Putting and chipping are still poor so loads of work needed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

hades wrote: »
    Well, its official, i can't hit the driver to save my life. Pretty much every second drive is a big swinging slice and its starting to break my heart.

Played 5 holes last night and just used the 3w off the tee and was much more consistent, hitting 4/4 fairways and 3/4 greens. (the fifth hole was a par 3).

Having measured my drives with the 3w on my skycaddie i'm averaging out at around 215m or 235y off the tee, so i'm not loosing a whole lot of distance in comparison to my driver. So i just have to use an extra club when approaching the green. At least this way, i have a chance to go for the green, rather than having to poke the ball out from the trees :D

Try taking your normal stance and set-up, then move your right foot back about 3 inches.
    Now move your left shoulder forward about 3 inches. This should promote a more in to out swing. Provided your grip and ball position are sound you should hit anti- slice drives. Its a tip that helped me before.
    Good luck.

shaneon77 wrote: »
    Try taking your normal stance and set-up, then move your right foot back about 3 inches.
    Now move your left shoulder forward about 3 inches. This should promote a more in to out swing. Provided your grip and ball position are sound you should hit anti- slice drives. Its a tip that helped me before.
    Good luck.

I'm doing it a different way, not even sure if its what's working for me.

I set up square at address aiming the right side of the fairway and (mentally) draw a line from behind the ball, through it and towards the right side fairway. Then I move my left foot back (leaving me square to centre of fairway shoulder wise and club head) and swing along the original target line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    I'm doing it a different way, not even sure if its what's working for me.

I set up square at address aiming the right side of the fairway and (mentally) draw a line from behind the ball, through it and towards the right side fairway. Then I move my left foot back (leaving me square to centre of fairway shoulder wise and club head) and swing along the original target line.
    That sounds like it would end up with similar results. Another little nugget i got was to try and get the base of the grip into my right pocket on the down-swing. Its impossible of course but the move promotes a more in to out swing also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Going through another period of the dreaded shanks for the past few weeks. On average hitting 2 shanks per round and they can happen at any time with any club. Demoralising and severely punishing shot.
    Came to a head on Sun in our stoke competition where I got a basket of 25 balls to warm up of which I proceeded to hit 15 shanks. Was debating whether to withdraw from the competition altogether and seek emergency help on the range but was too stubborn so nervously approached the first tee and played. Kept the shanks off the card for the front 9 but then hit 3 on the back 9 to ruin an otherwise nice round.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Was thinking that I would take a little break after last week. Hasn't worked too well :)

Us golf nuts, when we see sun and have the time - it is almost impossible to stop.

But - this OTT thing had come back in , was becoming a bit of an issue - a big issue.

Went to a pro - and went through all the parts of the swing I was working on , not joking, about 6 parts - crazy stuff. The pro was actually a bit shocked how technical I had become - this is a bit strange, for a golfer up till 2 years ago was totally self taught.

Had to really think about - what I was at. Only a few weeks ago I was having the best scores I ever had , not a swing thought in the head.

SO a couple of rounds - really struggling for pars - even on my home course.

On the 9th today - a funny thing happened , a member I have bumped into a few times was on 10 - (83 years of age - he knew my name straight off) - he told me he had just got over a serious medical conditions (Cancer) and it was his first game back , he said I should drive on - he then said , he remembered seeing me swinging about a year ago ( talk about sharp) - he told me I had such a natural swing, all of my own :D

I had a good chat and played the 9 with him, a member for 58 years. Amazing stuff. We had a great chat about his career , his golf life, the stories about the club. The characters no longer around golf clubs - as he put it.

I was 3 over on back 9 - just got caught in a bunker for the double. He said to me at the end - just trust yourself , you are a good golfer.
    I gave him a tip on his chipping - both of us left happy.

What a game - you can play with an 83 year old man - and perhaps get the best motivational speeches and swing thoughts for free.

I'd love to think - I could be like that at his age. You really shouldn't underestimate the old or the young in this life.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭the greatest game

Was thinking that I would take a little break after last week. Hasn't worked too well :)

Us golf nuts, when we see sun and have the time - it is almost impossible to stop.

But - this OTT thing had come back in , was becoming a bit of an issue - a big issue.

Went to a pro - and went through all the parts of the swing I was working on , not joking, about 6 parts - crazy stuff. The pro was actually a bit shocked how technical I had become - this is a bit strange, for a golfer up till 2 years ago was totally self taught.

Had to really think about - what I was at. Only a few weeks ago I was having the best scores I ever had , not a swing thought in the head.

On the 9th today - a funny thing happened , a member I have bumped into a few times was on 10 - (83 years of age - he knew my name straight off) - he told me he had just got over a serious medical conditions (Cancer) and it was his first game back , he said I should drive on - he then said , he remembered seeing me swinging about a year ago ( talk about sharp) - he told me I had such a natural swing, all of my own :D

I had a good chat and played the 9 with him, a member for 58 years. Amazing stuff. We had a great chat about his career , his golf life, the stories about the club. The characters no longer around golf clubs - as he put it.

I was 3 over on back 9 - just got caught in a bunker for the double. He said to me at the end - just trust yourself , you are a good golfer.

What a game - you can play with an 83 year old man - and perhaps get the best motivational speeches and swing thoughts for free.

I'd love to think - I could be like that at his age. You really shouldn't underestimate the old or the young in this life.

Great post

I was out today after 2 hours sleep after working a 12 hour night shift. , I played some ov my best golf in weeks , like above I love meeting golfers , golf people , people with a passion for the game , I have seen great golfers with the ugliest of swings , it's all upstairs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Write a book or something will you Fix!! I'd buy it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Never mind that old man Fix, you need to change that swing :)

dar - lol,
    1 advanced sale.
    The honeymoon period last about 7 years - even your next socket (rare for you) - will look like a thing of beauty, as it takes the head off (Taraxacum) "piss in the beds" .

I'll have "me" par or under par round in 2015 and head off into the sun with a site ban (thank feck).

Speaking of honeymoons - there is a small part of South Dominican Republic - La Romana - The weather is stunning , the sea is picture perfect , the coffee amazing. I don't even smoke , but the cigars they say are some of the best in the world. The Rum is all locally made. There is a cool breeze / odd hurricane, but the rum helps them pass. There are great golf courses - some on cliff top.

When I have the level par or under round - I'll move there , write that book for "you" dar - then jump up and say - "F**K - I left the washing on the line in Dublin - time to go back to the real world.

Thanks dar - anyway - see you on a links soon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭jokser250

Going for a lesson or 2 soon as my natural shot is a draw but I seem to be hitting a uncontrollable draw at the moment and Ive no idea why . Some are perfect others terrible so I'm hoping a lesson or two might sort it

Irons and driver are both working quite well and apparently the wedges from today aswell.

Need more work on the 3w and 3 hybrid.

Want to spend some extra time getting the draw on the driver down. Seeing much more of the fairways with it just the odd time its a slight fade. It would be alright if I wasn't aiming right of target, say over a clump of trees :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

My game is crap. Enough said!

• Advertisement

charlieIRL wrote: »
    My game is crap. Enough said!

Here Charlie, I heard there were 2 eejits on the positivity thread last night, both full of optimism....

Look at them now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

PARlance wrote: »
    Here Charlie, I heard there were 2 eejits on the positivity thread last night, both full of optimism....

Look at them now :(

Head up lance.

You know yourself your next day could be quality. Bit like harrington

Paddylance....

Just need to fix a few more things and I'll be flying

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭thelostboys23

Four pars and a birdie on saturday was really b pleasing. Still a few scratches to be worked on.

The changes to my game made from tge lessons have messed up my range as I over shot quite a few greens - all happy other than that though :-)

Made a bit of progress today.

Decided to feck the pro - and went back to old driving - more weight on RHS - ball forward , dynamic loft. Only 1 bad drive all day. So may go back to that. Much bigger carries - found I could even draw ball.

Releasing the club well now - big distance on irons - combination of changing ball (Bad idea) , nicer weather better strikes. Need to go back a club at least. Hit a 6 over 200 yards - 9 iron 160 - so hard to judge what I'm doing here. Back to same ball and go down a club the plan.

Hopefully turned a corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Sob sob boo hoo stupid game. Its now after 4 rounds of complete and utter misery that i realised that one game a week is only going to enforce the crap i am playing. I have told the wife that i need more time practising or the moods will continue. Still waiting on response which doesn't look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Played Saturday on my home course, HC of 16, played to an 18 so relatively happy with that. Played Sunday on a friends course, my slice is being eroded bit by bit, feet positioning and grip changes are helping but my irons were awful. I couldnt hit anything from the 7 down. Completely mental I just couldnt shake it out of my head. Putting is killing me too. Committing to more time on the range midweek and using their putting greens too.
    Confident the poor iron work was a once off.

How's my game.... Haven't a clue :)

Can be brilliant and brutal in the space of a few holes.
    Par (birdie lipped), Birdie, Scratch, Scratch the last day for 7 points for the opening 4 holes in Beech Park on Weds sums up my game of late.

Playing partner (stranger) laughed at me and said 7 or 17 as we walked to the 3rd.
    I just told him to hold that thought for a few holes.
    "Fair enough" was his reply 30 mins later.....
    Same story today. A woeful 7 points on the front 9 in Corballis followed by an "easy" 18 on the back. Easy as in there were still quite a few silly mistakes and a scratch.

I think I've a fair idea of stuff I need to cut out. Most of it mental, poor concentration & frustration needs to be tackled.

I'm gonna keep positive about it, my good stuff is pretty good and hopefully the bad stuff can be ironed out.

My putting is transformed. I was a nervous wreck but a new old putter and a lot of time practicing in the kitchen has paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭DuckHook

Nice cut from 17.6 to 15.6 after winning the minor scratch last Sunday, weird how confidence leads to good golf as I played my first round club foursomes last night and we played nice golf to win 4 and 3.

The playing partner was surprised at how sharp my game was and I didn't hit a bad shot all match.

Aiming for 12 this season and an see it happening quickly if I keep things going.

• Advertisement

Had a serious chat with a bloke I was playing with.
    He told me some truths I sort of knew and had to hear.

We sometimes don't know how good we are at some things and bad we are at others.

I'm having a fresh start Monday. As some great smart aleck said to me on here "your running out of drawing boards".

But feel I have the birth of a new start. I'm heading for my best golf ever. Operation under 5 here we go. If I had said that 3 years ago - I'd just laugh.

Advertisement