Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭thelostboys23

Tough conditions in gowran today. Driving was the only good part of my game today for a change.

Ah well one of these days it will all come together ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Finally seeing some results from my early morning practice.
    71 today (level off 10(!))
    1 birdie
    7 pars
    9 bogeys
    1 double

30 putts
    7/14 FIR
    1 GIR

Most of my practice is short game and I'm getting up and down a lot, only 1 GIR!

Hoping for a huge CSS to drop a shot!

scrubber72 wrote: »
    Sob sob boo hoo stupid game. Its now after 4 rounds of complete and utter misery that i realised that one game a week is only going to enforce the crap i am playing. I have told the wife that i need more time practising or the moods will continue. Still waiting on response which doesn't look good.

Same here, note I'm hitting the practice ground at 7am before work for an hour or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

GreeBo wrote: »
    Same here, note I'm hitting the practice ground at 7am before work for an hour or so...

Fair play to you, that's a big commitment. Are you playing holes or just putting and short game. Do the green keepers give you any WTF looks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Feel a good round coming. Driving was all over the shop for the last month but played 8 holes yesterday and figured out my grip had slightly changed(how I don't know). anyway hit the driver 3 times with great confidence and split 3 fairways. Hitting the 3wood well off the tee to except for one slice.
    Striking the irons as well as ever must just work on distance control and alignment.
    Putting is solid although I sometimes struggle on away courses.
    Chipping always needs work!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

kiers47 wrote: »
    Feel a good round coming. Driving was all over the shop for the last month but played 8 holes yesterday and figured out my grip had slightly changed(how I don't know). anyway hit the driver 3 times with great confidence and split 3 fairways. Hitting the 3wood well off the tee to except for one slice.
    Striking the irons as well as ever must just work on distance control and alignment.
    Putting is solid although I sometimes struggle on away courses.
    Chipping always needs work!!!

You may be the only one capable of stopping Macker from winning 3 in a row in Ballykisteen on the 24th!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

Feeling like I am about to start putting it all together.. I have spent the last few weeks taking any time I can to practice on the range/green to try imbed the swing changes and I my ball striking is much better. The 3 handicap cards are in and I reckon it will be a 8 or 9 handicap which I feel gives me loads of room to improve over the summer..

I never realised how frustrating it was going to be getting back playing after so long out but loving it. Not getting much time to play but when I do I am making sure I am doing some quality time to get the most out of it working on specific drills and the improvements since the winter are starting to be noticeable.

Hoping to get a few competitions in over the coming weeks so hopefully will start the cutting of the handicap soon.

scrubber72 wrote: »
    Sob sob boo hoo stupid game. Its now after 4 rounds of complete and utter misery that i realised that one game a week is only going to enforce the crap i am playing. I have told the wife that i need more time practising or the moods will continue. Still waiting on response which doesn't look good.

I bought myself a mat with 3 different depths of "grass" to allow me do some work at home as the playing time is being massively restricted. It at least gets you to feel what it's like to hit balls and you are at home so the missus is happy(ish)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I have no idea how my game is at the moment. Just looking back & I've played only 5 rounds in the last 2 months.

No way to improve playing that little golf :(

Really need to get back in the swing of things soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Macker1

ballyk wrote: »
    You may be the only one capable of stopping Macker from winning 3 in a row in Ballykisteen on the 24th!

Nothing to worry about on that front. My purple patch has begun to wane with some inconsistenty showing. 31 points today. 20 on front 9 followed by 11 points on the back. Some very poor shots. Only highlight was a birdie 2 for a share of the 2's pot which has now happened back to back in the last two comps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Going practising on Wed morning for about 3 hours. Happy with putting again. Found that if i tilted the toe down and heel up i could keep it on a straighter line rather than the figure 8 stroke i battled with. Need to sort out my OTT swing. Either a slice or big pull at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

Macker1 wrote: »
    Nothing to worry about on that front. My purple patch has begun to wane with some inconsistenty showing. 31 points today. 20 on front 9 followed by 11 points on the back. Some very poor shots. Only highlight was a birdie 2 for a share of the 2's pot which has now happened back to back in the last two comps

We'll see come the 24th. What happened you on the back 9?

I had 2 2s today, looks like I was the only one as well. One of my playing partners got robbed of one on the 9th as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Finally seeing some results from my early morning practice.
    71 today (level off 10(!))
    1 birdie
    7 pars
    9 bogeys
    1 double

30 putts
    7/14 FIR
    1 GIR

Most of my practice is short game and I'm getting up and down a lot, only 1 GIR!

Hoping for a huge CSS to drop a shot!

I know you don't need to be told this but that GIR stat is very poor. Phil Mickelson wouldn't be able to get up and down enough to have a score if he was hitting that few greens.

When you say you're doing a lot of practice I presume it's on your ball striking? If not it really should be as you must have a decent short game to make 7 pars while only hitting 1 green.

And in what way are you missing all these greens? The FIR stat isn't too bad so I'm guessing it's the iron play that's killing you?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Anyone got any hints on practice routine? I have just joined a golf club and now wish to exploit all the benefits. Going for a sneaky solo 9 of an evening is not beyond me, using the short game practice area for my up and downs etc. - anyone got a weekly routine that I could aspire to?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭thelostboys23

Three cards in for the handicap so the quest for getting cut begins.

thewing wrote: »
    Anyone got any hints on practice routine? I have just joined a golf club and now wish to exploit all the benefits. Going for a sneaky solo 9 of an evening is not beyond me, using the short game practice area for my up and downs etc. - anyone got a weekly routine that I could aspire to?

Thanks in advance

I try and have some sort of goal for my practice so for example on the short game area you play par 18 which is where you have 9 different places to get up and down from (I choose 3 easy, 3 medium and 3 hard positions). You then try and see what score you can get for the 9 placements with each hole being a par 2.
    If I am playing 9 holes I play a game my pro showed me which is I have 3 balls in my pocket. If you are unhappy with your 1st shot then you can use the 2nd ball but you have to use the last ball so for example if you play all 3 balls you need to use the last ball no matter where it is. You do this for 9 holes and count not only your score but also how many additional shots you needed. It is a great way to put a bit of pressure on but also show you what you can achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I returned to golf a few months ago after a break of about 8 years. My problem had alway been my cack handed grip. My mission for last winter was to change my grip and it was the best thing I ever did. I got to range at least once a week and struggled for a while, but after a few weeks something just clicked and I started hitting the ball quite well.

I've now put together a half decent bag of clubs and I'm finding my golf immensely enjoyable. After years of abject frustration of playing cack handedly, it's a pleasure to be able to consistently hit the ball straight and not be the guy forever looking for his ball! I've a lot of work to do, but I'm looking forward to putting in the hard hours.

After hitting scores and scores of balls on the range I've almost worked the slice out of my drive. Hit 60 balls last night and my driving was very good. Most of them were straight and I was getting around 200yards of carry. It's not a big drive but I honeslty couldn't hit the back of a bus six months ago, so I'm chuffed with it!

I know you don't need to be told this but that GIR stat is very poor. Phil Mickelson wouldn't be able to get up and down enough to have a score if he was hitting that few greens.

When you say you're doing a lot of practice I presume it's on your ball striking? If not it really should be as you must have a decent short game to make 7 pars while only hitting 1 green.

And in what way are you missing all these greens? The FIR stat isn't too bad so I'm guessing it's the iron play that's killing you?

In fairness it was a bitch of a day and most of the misses were puttable or just chips.

Had a couple that were just a bit heavy and got dumped short.
    No major hooks or slices causing misses.

Practice is probably 60%+ from 100M and in including chipping and putting.
    Other than that I am going through the bag on full shots.

Missed out on 1st on a count back....doh :(
    But CSS was +2 so got a little cut :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

GreeBo.

I have nothing but admiration that you can shoot rounds like that with 1 GIR.

but if it was blowing a gale , I couldn't handle a round with less than 5 GIRs.

That is where I'm going next. Short game - short game - short game.
    I'd give anything to get that sort of short game.

You must have done incredible work on it. Fair play man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭slingerz

Played at the weekend, 1st 9 holes had 4 pars 2 double bogeys and 3 scratchs playing off 17.

No consistentcy at all. One scratch was on a par 4 where the drive had me 100 yards from the hole in the middle of the fairway.

I badly need to work on my short game and putting especially

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭SEORG

Playing very well at the moment. 4 cuts so far this yr and 2.9 off the handicap..my driving and iron play has been quite good with 50% or above for FIR & GIR bar one round.
    Short game practice earlier in the year is paying off and I'm fairly confident of getting up & down from 60yrds, don't always do it but confident none the less.
    More work needed on the putting, to get a few sub 30 putt rounds in would be great. I know I can give myself the opportunity to do it but I need to take some 15ft birdie chances. Lag putting has improved hugely and have been eliminating the 3 putts.

Massive progress tonight at the practice round.
    Discovered ( through elimination!) That I was losing my balance through the ball. This was causing all my catastrophic shots ( shanks, tops, duffs) as I was moving all over the place to keep balance. Also contributed to me having to time my swing too much.

Concentrating on squatting now, arse pushed out, Sergio style.

Much better contact abd bad shots are just normal hooks or slices bit the 36 handicap shots I have always been capable off.

Even works on chips, pitches and putts!

Roll on Saturday for a shocker of a round :-)
    And all it took was 5 hours at the range!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

Club fourball Matchplay, played solid as a rock. One up playing 16 and missed a 2 footer for a half. Beaten on 18.... Actually sick, I've cringed over that putt about 5 times already.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

What time did ye play? It's fairly wet in certain areas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Getting back into it now with a vengeance having played only a few rounds last year. Had a great lesson a month ago that fixed my driving and general iron play. Switched back to my old 2ball putter and as bad as it looks (P Harrington's wide stance), I'm knocking them in from 3 feet in most of the time (always the weak part of my game). Have a bit more work to do on the long game (rescue and 4-6 irons) but getting there. Playing on Sunday morning for my first "proper" round in months so anything over 30 points and I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

My game has gone backwards since the birth of my 3rd child, I have yet to play to my handicap/ sleep for 8 hours since November last year.
    I don't want to blame the wee fella but the lack of sleep pattern must be a factor. I just cannot concentrate for a full round. I'm trying hard, maybe TOO hard, to stop my mistakes.
    Wearing holes in the palm of my gloves.
    Not keeping balance.
    Pushes and pulls.
    Poor putting
    Only avoiding 1 x.1 in the last 18 competitive round.
    Lesson booked on Thursday coming. Here's hoping for good times ahead

Discovered ( through elimination!) That I was losing my balance through the ball. This was causing all my catastrophic shots ( shanks, tops, duffs) as I was moving all over the place to keep balance. Also contributed to me having to time my swing too much.

Much better contact abd bad shots are just normal hooks or slices bit the 36 handicap shots I have always been capable off.

Oh my god, my body is broken this morning!
    Everything hurts...didn't make the range again before work....

Walking like a granny when I got out of bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

What time did ye play? It's fairly wet in certain areas

Teed of at 15:45. Greens are exceptional, best I've ever seen then. Just pulled into the car park. Off out again... It's a tough life

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Sean_pop

Was playing good up until I had my Appendix removed 3 weeks ago. I have played 9 holes 3 times since coming back and I am not hitting the ball very well at all. I will be definitely be heading to the driving range this weekend to try and sort it out!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Posture and balance is what I always return too as well when things go wrong. If you are in a powerful/athletic/stable position to start with, you are really giving yourself a great chance of hitting it well. That's my only thought before I start my swing - I have a good chance of smashing this one down the middle. I did golf pilates the last few years and the exercises were great for the feeling of power over the ball.

Advertisement