Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

GreeBo wrote: »
    Roll on Saturday for a shocker of a round :-)
    And all it took was 5 hours at the range!

Didnt even get to Saturday...hit the range at 7am and had a shocker for the first hour or so.
    Got it back a little at the end though, I was squatting down but my weight was still on my toes, I think when I centralise it it feels like its on my heels.

I remember a tip from years ago that it should feel like you are just about to sit down on the jacks. Seems to work!
    I think a lot of my "coming out of the shot" problems are due to balance and not, as I previously thought, that I am a fool who forgets to keep looking at the ball he is trying to hit!
    Posture and balance is what I always return too as well when things go wrong. If you are in a powerful/athletic/stable position to start with, you are really giving yourself a great chance of hitting it well. That's my only thought before I start my swing - I have a good chance of smashing this one down the middle. I did golf pilates the last few years and the exercises were great for the feeling of power over the ball.

+1
    Balance is key if you want to swing at the ball at all!
    Good setup gives you a chance with a bad swing, bad setup gives you no chance, even with a swing as beautiful as mine! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

Short game is grand. Longer shots and fuller swings is a big slicey. I then try to compensate a lot by keeping left arm extra straight at impactand I catch some shots fat as a result. I need to get a little forward shift more i think. I have a little out to in by the looks of it too. But on my par 3 I shot a 70 which is my best since starting golf 3 weeks ago after a 7 year absence. So decent progress. Once I have my game sorted a bit more I'll get to a full size club and join up.

gonko wrote: »
    Short game is grand. Longer shots and fuller swings is a big slicey. I then try to compensate a lot by keeping left arm extra straight at impactand I catch some shots fat as a result. I need to get a little forward shift more i think. I have a little out to in by the looks of it too. But on my par 3 I shot a 70 which is my best since starting golf 3 weeks ago after a 7 year absence. So decent progress. Once I have my game sorted a bit more I'll get to a full size club and join up.

left arm should be straight, check that you are not standing up on the backswing and then dipping on the way back down...

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

left arm should be straight, check that you are not standing up on the backswing and then dipping on the way back down...
    Left arm is a typical Lee Westwood job lol. I'll get a picture up later as I have a few recordings from the side on view. I'm basically striking from the address position rather than shifting forward properly etc. . Today I took about 10 shots turning more into the shot and trying to keep the arm straighter and moving the bottom of the swing more in front of the ball. Feels strange but slowly improving and had 2 nice shots, and the odd shank and top. But it's new so I'm willing to battle on.. With my left arm bent I'm finding it hard to judge the downswing depth, causing me to catch the ball thick, and possibly causing a little slice on the longer clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

shaneon77 wrote: »
    My game has gone backwards since the birth of my 3rd child, I have yet to play to my handicap/ sleep for 8 hours since November last year.
    I don't want to blame the wee fella but the lack of sleep pattern must be a factor. I just cannot concentrate for a full round. I'm trying hard, maybe TOO hard, to stop my mistakes.
    Wearing holes in the palm of my gloves.
    Not keeping balance.
    Pushes and pulls.
    Poor putting
    Only avoiding 1 x.1 in the last 18 competitive round.
    Lesson booked on Thursday coming. Here's hoping for good times ahead

and then came the sh#£ks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭lenihankevin

Took up golf about 8 months ago..got 18 handicap...played reasonably solid all winter getting around 30 to 34 points a round...All of a sudden a few weeks ago developed a lovely hook which I'm finding hard to shift...scored 20 and 22 points my last two rounds...my head is wrecked!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

Is there anything worse than playing S#*t golf? There is you know. Its playing great golf of an evening when playing with no one and knowing you aren't going to translate that to the next competition.
    Played the back 9 last night, 1 birdie, 5 pars, 2 bogies and a double bogey for a 39 (ie 3 over). And this was off the newly extended tees on 17 & 18.

Why can't I convert this into a competition score? Is it the pace of play being different, is it me chatting to playing partners too much, is it me putting too much pressure on myself?

Aaaaaagggggghhhhh.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Is there anything worse than playing S#*t golf? There is you know. Its playing great golf of an evening when playing with no one and knowing you aren't going to translate that to the next competition.
    Played the back 9 last night, 1 birdie, 5 pars, 2 bogies and a double bogey for a 39 (ie 3 over). And this was off the newly extended tees on 17 & 18.

Why can't I convert this into a competition score? Is it the pace of play being different, is it me chatting to playing partners too much, is it me putting too much pressure on myself?

Aaaaaagggggghhhhh.

Funny you mention that piece about chatting to partners. I think this is a big thing with me. I find if I shut to f**k up and concentrate I can play a lot better. I just cant seem to make the switch from chatting and laughing to going back to serious mode very quickly. So sometimes I march out in front or hang back to avoid conversation. Then you start thinking...am I not here to enjoy myself and have fun with my mates? Fine line I suppose. Maybe I need a red dot on my glove like Oosthuizen....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

Arsenium wrote: »
    Maybe I need a red dot on my glove like Oosthuizen....

?????

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Arsenium

?????

When Oosthuizen won the Open there was a story that he was able to maintain his impressive concentration by using a mind trigger. Something they teach you on those mind coaching courses like Karl Morris etc.

It seems his trigger was a red dot he had put on his glove. As he was about to begin his routine he would look at the red dot on his glove and that triggered full on concentration mode. Everything else was shut out and it was him and the shot.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/others/psychology-of-sport-how-a-red-dot-swung-it-for-open-champion-2030349.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

and then came the sh#£ks

Have a bad spell of them again the past few weeks along with hooking, slicing and thinning shots all over the place. On the practice ground a couple of weeks ago I hit 15 shanks from a basket of 25 balls. Since then I've hit an average of 2 sha#£ks per round so will be taking 2 weeks away from the game and booking another lesson on my return to this blasted obsession.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Have a bad spell of them again the past few weeks along with hooking, slicing and thinning shots all over the place. On the practice ground a couple of weeks ago I hit 15 shanks from a basket of 25 balls. Since then I've hit an average of 2 sha#£ks per round so will be taking 2 weeks away from the game and booking another lesson on my return to this blasted obsession.

Jaysus, Feel for you. Worst things that can happen. Got a dose of them before last year's West of Ireland. Get a shiver thinking about it

When I get a dose I just move further away from the ball...off the toe isn't half as mentally damaging as the old shin scrapers...

Trying to concentrate all round is a mistake that will leave you knackered imo.

Go in and out of the zone, do what you like in between zones.
    Much easier on mind and body in my experience,if you get used to turning it off and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Game has fallen apart. Probably down to not playing enough.

the all curing tip for correct balance is contained within. now to find someone to whip me when i'm not doing it.

http://www.golfwrx.com/202921/the-difference-between-professionals-and-amateurs-is-in-the-ground/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

My game is really starting to come together. Earlier in the year I really struggled from 50 yards and in but with courses drying out I've really started playing well (off 20) and the consistency and confidence has improved also. I seem to have come to grips with the greens so it's all seems to be coming together.
    Cue me getting a dose of golfinitus!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I think a lot of my "coming out of the shot" problems are due to balance and not, as I previously thought, that I am a fool who forgets to keep looking at the ball he is trying to hit!

For what it is worth, when I come out of a shot it is usually due to not rotating away properly, so I kind of get trapped coming into the ball and fire early.

My current solution to ensure I rotate away properly is to have a vague awareness of my left shoulder going past my chin, or something like that, just something to make sure I am rotating away.

The other thing is I try to focus on my forearms and the full length of the club being one piece on the take away, I think this helps me get into a good position on the way back, it also helps me shorten the swing and avoid any loss of power.

the all curing tip for correct balance is contained within. now to find someone to whip me when i'm not doing it.

http://www.golfwrx.com/202921/the-difference-between-professionals-and-amateurs-is-in-the-ground/

Interesting article, I sometimes use my Wii balance board to check this!
    Though I find with a lot of these articles the "amatuer" golfer they pick is really, really at the extreme end of the bad things.
    In this example they have a massive reverse pivot and hang back...not too many of us on here would do that and not know about it....

Interesting article, I sometimes use my Wii balance board to check this!
    Though I find with a lot of these articles the "amatuer" golfer they pick is really, really at the extreme end of the bad things.
    In this example they have a massive reverse pivot and hang back...not too many of us on here would do that and not know about it....

I agree, but on the flip side of that you would need to exaggerate the correct moves continually until you got the feel for it without effort.

• Advertisement

I agree, but on the flip side of that you would need to exaggerate the correct moves continually until you got the feel for it without effort.

I find that also a problem, end up with too much in the other direction...spend my golfing year bouncing back between two extremes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Couldn't get out last week and it made a huge difference. Played twice since and still haven't got back into shape with the driver. I think I have now thankfully, but its still not where it was a couple of weeks ago.

Contact with the irons is decent, for me, but aim is an issue at the minute.

Going to see about booking a lesson soon and focus on the driver as lately its the one getting me into the most trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Got my first cut after an open last week. Cut 0.5 to my lowest handicap of 12.0.
    Threw away the win with a bogey, double, double finish but still delighted as played well most of the day

Won first round of my first ever singles matchplay in first round of club singles matchplay.
    Was 5 up at the turn and my opponent (who was having a real off day) conceded the match.
    Started nervous but settled a bit. Didn't play great but well enough. Happy to be through anyway

So overall things going well. I do at times feel like parts of my game are being held together with sticky tape.
    My putting and chipping has been consistently good but everything else requiring regular tweaks to stay decent.

So no golf this w/e....weather is good so of course I'm not playing (grrrr)
    Playing Bandon this week and always throw away a good score on back 9 there.
    Have a new plan in place so we'll see how that goes.

Onwards and downwards !!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Mother in law fell in pond .
    What.

Yes, want to kill the bloke who invented Celtic Tiger ponds combined with decking.
    Put an end to my golfing progress.

About time. Had an unbelievable run of golf for 2 months.

Who would have imagined the in law would be a literal downfall.

Real life back with a splash.

Still had felt i was on an upward trend .
    So drill bits, pz heads, pumping and carpentry for a week.

The true skills of a real man.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

Hit the ball well this morning feeling like my hands are starting to release better through the ball but my hips are still a tad slow. The last 30 mins of hitting balls felt really strong and the swing changes are starting to feel a bit more comfortable. I just need more time hitting balls.

Short game is seeing real improvements.. This has been my achilles heal for a long time but I feel like it is starting to turn, my putting feels solid with confidence of short/mid length putts at an all time high. The Pelz putting tool with the barings has been amazing for my stroke. Pitching is definitely going the right direction.

I feel like I am ready to start putting some good scores together and finally with the handicap I will be able to start playing in some more competitions to test the game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Played Luttrestown in my society today, weather matched the course. Never played better off the tee, pulled drive off the 3rd was my only missed fairway and I missed only one par 3 and that was a matter of feet. Should of had a massive score on that stat but not to be, two brutal shanks from nowhere led to a double and a scratch and I just couldn't get the putts in and had a bucket of shaved 3/4 footers for a rake of should have beens for 31 points off 14. Still weather was great and happy to get out...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

6/10 at the minute.

Finally have found a bit of confidence off the tee but a little trip to buy a new 3W last week and the guy told me my grip was poor. The old you've got a lovely swing but it's all wrong!!

Will be back at my pro next week so will get him to check the fundamentals.

Funny place at the moment.

Not playing great,
    Driver a little better - but a real bad one in me every 5 drives.
    Going to 3 wood is a nice new option - that is going well.
    Sort of pulling irons due to being outside.
    Wedges from 100 to 110 - just not good enough for what I want out of golf.
    Chipping around greens improving.

Started a putting program.

This also ends with me needing to get 100 - 6 footers in a row.

Reading a good bit of mental stuff on game too.

I've sort of accepted what a few people have told me - that I shouldn't bother trying to achieve perfection with my long game - I'm just wasting time, I should be spending on short game. This was a big acceptance for me.

My long game, in bad condition - is still good enough to be single figures.
    My short game goes from a 12 to 18 handicapper.

So - working on the right things now, If I make progress (I will) on short game and putting - I'll be a more comfortable single figure player.

Then - I'll make a good run at a par round in next 12 months or so.

Used up all my good luck and karma this evening. Looked at clock - kids in bed, 2030 - said will I, got to club played 6 holes with time to spare.

Played 2 balls versus each other - somebody mentioned that as a practice idea on another thread.

Holed 2 chips a 60 footer , another 15 footer - had 4 birdies , hit flag - mad stuff, was very funny. Only person on the course.

So - out in am. with a card in hand. Used up every bounce possible tonight.

Best hour of golf ever , got to off licence with 4 minutes to 10 pm - got a few ales.

Walk through door - 1st Golf Monthly of a 12 month present.

Looked at 2 balls I used - was in such a rush grabbed 2 balls as fast as possible at start - a pinacle and a Gallaway distance ball - Did notice everything finished long. So much for pro-vs and all that.
    This game is gas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Practising a lot and hitting it well bar the driver.

Had a look at a video of my swing tonight thinking I must look pretty good.

OMFG :eek: Still looking like the OTT falling octopus. Depressing.

Need to stand taller and stop legs moving like Elvis.

Advertisement