Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Wombatman wrote: »
    Practising a lot and hitting it well bar the driver.

Had a look at a video of my swing tonight thinking I must look pretty good.

OMFG :eek: Still looking like the OTT falling octopus. Depressing.

Need to stand taller and stop legs moving like Elvis.

Get that on the "your swing" thread now Wombat :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Have this :(

Want this

Will post a video on the swing thread when done......... 2 - 3 years time at this rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

Wombatman wrote: »
    Practising a lot and hitting it well bar the driver.

Had a look at a video of my swing tonight thinking I must look pretty good.

OMFG :eek: Still looking like the OTT falling octopus. Depressing.

Need to stand taller and stop legs moving like Elvis.

Sounds exactly like me.

I had a solid practice last night, back to basics for me following my recent lesson.

I focused on my grip, alignment and swing length and it seemed to do the trick for the most part. I was hitting my irons pretty well after making those adjustments.

Then the hard yards, i must've hit 60 balls just with the driver, switching between my R9 and R11S, just to get a different feeling and to stop me from just machine gunning out the balls. The grip has definitely helped i had gotten into some bad habits again after changing my grip last year. Thankfully, reverting back to the "proper" grip felt very good and not at all awkward.

Worked on my short irons for a while, just trying to work on my feel for distances. I'm after getting a bit too reliant on looking at the gps for the shorter shots rather than being able to hit those distances instinctively.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Hit the range over the last 2 evenings. Narrowed my stance, which has improved the posture and stopped me swaying. Better contact and better flight. Chipping has really improved, now to work on the alignment.
    There is always something to work on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Well a bit of good news - got cut after yesterday - now off 6.2.

So since I joined Boards my handicap has halved.

Fair play lads - thanks for all the help.

I'm still the worst single figure golfer in the country can only play 2 courses and have a chance on a links in wind - but I don't care :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Still consistent enough.

Basically my bad shots are worse and I've a few more better hits during a round.

Bunkers, if deep, is a two hit out. First one I tap it, second one I get right so a lot of work needed there.

Chipping onto the green needs so attention, still don't really have a shot I can use to get the ball to check soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭bustercherry

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Still consistent enough.

Basically my bad shots are worse and I've a few more better hits during a round.

Bunkers, if deep, is a two hit out. First one I tap it, second one I get right so a lot of work needed there.

Chipping onto the green needs so attention, still don't really have a shot I can use to get the ball to check soon enough

Then land it further away and let it roll out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,237 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

great session at the range last night, worked through all the clubs, focusing on what the pro said the previous day.
    (ok, it wasnt to me, but I was ear wigging on the lesson behind me :D)

Just trying to hit the ball with the back of my left hand. Its great to actually have something to try to do during the swing. Until now I've never really known what it is I am trying to do!

Was hitting all my irons very well, rescue and 3 wood also.

Imagine my dismay when I hit 50 duck hooks with the occasional Jimmy White banana slice with the Driver.
    An hour later and with 10 balls left I figured out that I wasnt staying behind the driver at all, covering it causing OTT and popping the ball.

delighted with the last few balls, able to use the same left hand technique but just keep head behind the ball for really solid, straight strikes off the middle.
    From pure sh1te to just plain pure in 3.5 short hours.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

That's what an old lad I play with from time to time is always saying to me Greebo! I listen because he can still school me and take my cash!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Then land it further away and let it roll out.

Its usually when the flag is just on the edge of the green but behind a hilp/rise where there is very little green to work with.

It doesnt help the greens are in great condition giving loads of roll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,237 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Its usually when the flag is just on the edge of the green but behind a hilp/rise where there is very little green to work with.

It doesnt help the greens are in great condition giving loads of roll

Then take more club on your approach!

That said, our greens were faster than usual last week, all my chop and runs ended up 10 foot past...and I was getting nothing with the outer all day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Mother in law fell in pond .
    What.

Yes, want to kill the bloke who invented Celtic Tiger ponds combined with decking.
    Put an end to my golfing progress.

About time. Had an unbelievable run of golf for 2 months.

Who would have imagined the in law would be a literal downfall.

Real life back with a splash.

Still had felt i was on an upward trend .
    So drill bits, pz heads, pumping and carpentry for a week.

The true skills of a real man.

Is she still in the pond? :pac:

Lads,

I've been having a shocker for the past 3 years. Had a lesson a few weeks ago (driver) and it made a difference, however, am hooking the Bejaysus out of my irons. So much so I genuinely considered putting everything on eBay last weekend and taking up something else. Booked another lesson for this evening but went out with the oul lad during the week. Played the first 8 holes as normal - decent drive let down by poor irons salvaged by an OK wedge and putter game....bogey city basically. Then on the 9th fairway I just had this thought, put the ball back an inch and hit a punchy one. Completely flushed it! Putting from the fringe and first par of the evening. Repeated for the rest of the holes and played the last 10 holes in 4 over! Absolutely delighted and buzzing all week! The highlight was putting a full 5 iron onto the middle of the green on the index 3. Still going to my lesson but going to focus on my rescue club as still can't hit this. Putting is after getting a lot better too so all going well.

Loire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Haven't broke 36 points in 3 months, slipping out towards 7, cant really pinpoint anything I'm doing wrong, I've been starting rounds badly and constantly playing catch up from there, I've only had 2 birdies in last 3 rounds, giving myself the chances but not taking them. I think course management is a big one, I tend to take dead aim at most pins where as I should be aiming at heart of the green.Pain in the arse because I had a good winter shooting 36+ about 5 or 6 times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Enjoyed a good game of matchplay earlier today in the first round of the club singles. Ended up winning 3&2 after been all square coming onto the back 9. The front 9 was a tight affair with me winning the 1st and then him winning the 2nd and then we halfed holes 3-9. We both turned at 4 over and were striking the ball well. The difference in the end was my driver kept me in the fairways and he hit a few poor drives which had him in all sorts of trouble.

Nice win after exiting in the first round last year. Looking forward to Ballykisteen tomorrow.

Played 15 holes with my Dad last night. Windy & cold and the tees were all well back with the pins in really tough spots. 10 bogeys and 5 pars....shooting my 12 handicap basically. 2 or 3 putts could easily have dropped for me so well chuffed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Zero consistency. I'm starting to wonder is my handicap the one I'll have for life. Lesson on Tuesday and I'll be asking a few questions!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Zero consistency. I'm starting to wonder is my handicap the one I'll have for life. Lesson on Tuesday and I'll be asking a few questions!!
    Keano you don't mind me asking you how long are you playing Golf and what's your HC at the moment ?

Ask away!

Playing off 17 and probably at it nearly 3 full years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

Good times are just around the corner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Learned a fair bit over the last few weeks where I've gone from playing my best ever to my worst ever.
    Firstly, Having only recently started playing I was never interested in winning competitions and I've said since the start aslong as I improve and learn something from each round I would be happy. Low and behold 3 weeks ago I won a beginner competition playing very well. I've entered a few competitions since with thoughts on winning and I've found myself getting really frustrated and I've played horribly since. So going to try and get back to my earlier attitude.

Secondly, I've ongoing problem with being a slow starter, it's usually around the 6th hole before I get striking the ball aswell as I can. Not sure the reason for this, probably not playing enough. I went to the range before my last game but this didn't seem to make any difference. It's quite frustrating.

Onwards and upwards!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Consistency is once again killing me.

3rd last round: driving awful, irons good, chipping ok.
    2nd last round: driving ok, irons awful, chipping/pitching woeful
    Last round: driving ok, irons/pitching woeful, chipping excellent

Made a slight tweak in the range yesterday and noticed almost an immediate improvement in my driver and woods, looks like my grip was off leading to an open face.

Pitching was ok too.

Irons are still a work in progress, I seem to have difficulty hitting through the arse of the ball if that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

Things are starting to look up and i'm finally starting to swing the club like i did last summer. One rule i'll make for myself is not to take a few months off the game, its taken me a long time to feel good over the ball again.

Grip - started focusing on my grip a bit more and i feel to be swinging the club more freely now.

Swing length - i'm trying to only make 3/4 swings now to stop my over extended john daly effort. It seems to have given me more distance control.

Out with the new and in with the old - I popped the old driver in the bag (R9) and i was hitting it really well over the weekend. Its not as long as my new driver (R11S) but i'll take consistency over distance any day. I'm even tempted to pop the R11S on adverts.

Putting - Really let me down over the weekend, i seemed to 3 putt from everywhere and i missed around 5 or 6 three footers. This was mainly down to me misreading the greens rather than a poor stroke. It took me until the 17th before i got my eye in.

Lots of positives tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

So close to playing my best ever golf.

Accepting that I have a fade now, and keeping it in the fairway off the tee most of the time, though strong left to right winds can be challenging.

Absolutely nailing my wedges, consistent length and trajectory, leaving most within 5-10 feet. Rolling a lot of putts in, feel like I can get everything.

Chipping improving but came from a low start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Probably in the best place I've ever been during my golfing 'career'

Playing 4 years now and I'm off 11. Lost the cack-hands last year and starting to really see the difference. Been having issues with long irons but after a lesson even that is slowly improving.

Started a S&C programme with Robbie Cannon this week. We found that my glutes were completely turned off so my backswing was very weak as a result. He says plenty of room for golf specific strengthening which should improve ball striking.

All about me pushing myself in both practice and S&C.

So I started this thread juts under a year ago and at the time I was struggling with my OTT. Still have it and it could be the cause of me taking up fishing!! It's just not going away and I've tried a lot to fix it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

the lawman wrote: »
    Started a S&C programme with Robbie Cannon this week. We found that my glutes were completely turned off so my backswing was very weak as a result. He says plenty of room for golf specific strengthening which should improve ball striking.

All about me pushing myself in both practice and S&C.

Can you go into more detail about the S&C lawman ? ( Strength and Conditioning i presume ? )

Like what sort of stuff do they do ?
    So I started this thread juts under a year ago and at the time I was struggling with my OTT. Still have it and it could be the cause of me taking up fishing!! It's just not going away and I've tried a lot to fix it :(

I'd love to get my hands on you Keano. You'd a grand swing from my memory, there's gotta be a relatively straightforward fix for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

@Rikand

Sure no problem.

Was/am having some issues with hammy cramping and Physio recommended strength and conditioning. Robbie was a name I was given and he's obviously golf specific. He plays off -2 I believe.

So we met for an initial assessment last week in Morton Stadium. He checked what I was about and what I need to do. My glutes are asleep and have no coil to speak of because of that. Lots of room to get better he reckons.

So we do a series of exercises to build the areas I need work on. He then sends out the full programme on a pdf which include YouTube vids of each one. Then ill go back in four weeks to see how I'm doing.

And that's it really. Hopefully it goes well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

You try any of the drills on meandmygolftv.
    Two English guys who do really good videos on YouTube. I found them really well explained and helpful

Advertisement