Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Ya I like there stuff. Hoping my lesson today might help put me back on the straight and narrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

Great practice last night, felt totally "in the zone".

30 minutes short game, 30 minutes long game, 30 minutes putting.

I beat my personal best for the "par 18" game with a score of 20. My previous best was 21, but the shots i used on that previous best were essentially distance variations on pitch and run shots. This time, my 3 easy shots were a 30ft pitch and run with my PW, the medium was a 60ft pitch with my 52, and my hard shot was a shot over a bunker with little green to work with, played with my 58. So much harder shots overall and a better score, i was delighted.

Onto the range, 5 balls with 7i, 5 with 5w, 10 with my 52 (adjusting to different pins from half shots to full shots) 5 with 5i, 10 with my 58 (same routine as with my 52) and i finished with 5 drives. Very happy overall, and breaking up the balls into clusters of 5 or stopped me from just blasting balls.

I finished on the putting green working on my lag putting before trying the 9 ball putting routine. Finished that as +2.

Overall very happy with my progress, i'm starting to be more comfortable over the ball now, especially with my short game which is an area i really struggle with normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

I was looking at my own game, wondering how I have failed so far to build on a really encouraging winter. I have drifted out from 13.9 to 14.2 over the first 7 qualifying rounds I have played this 'summer'. I don't use any apps other than Howdidido and I gave up embellishing rounds ages ago. Just looking at my stats for 6 rounds (one of them was away and they don't use HDID) showed the following:

Most recent round first:

Birdies- 0,0,0,1,0,2
    Pars- 4,7,9,5,4,6
    Bogies- 7,7,5,8,8,4
    Double/Worse- 7,4,4,4,6,6

It was a bit of an eye opener! At least 4 doubles in every 18 holes this season, not good. I also think that my number of pars and birdies is quite low. That said, other than my nightmare round last Sunday, I have got 11, 7 and 9 pars in my last three rounds (including a society event). These are the kind of numbers I'd be expecting if looking to get cut.

So message to myself is to cut out the silly doubles. It's my concentration that drives me mad. I'll be excellent most of the time and then out of nowhere hit a poor one because I don't check alignment just before swinging or don't fully commit to a shot etc. Arrrrgggg!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

6.5+ hours on the range yesterday (what a day out there!)

Ended up not doing any short game other than pitching which was a bit disappointing but was hitting the irons well but back to horrible hooks with the driver.

I think I was swinging out after the ball rather than left (in a vain attempt to stop the ball going left) which of course causes a hook.
    I also think I have a habit of setting my shoulders very closed compared to my feet. Have to keep my eye on that.

Back to it this morning but just short game and irons, happy enough. Wont get a pass for this evening though, pity as its lovely again!

GreeBo wrote: »
    6.5+ hours on the range yesterday

Yikes, how much did you spend on range balls?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Ended up not doing any short game other than pitching which was a bit disappointing but was hitting the irons well but back to horrible hooks with the driver.

I think I was swinging out after the ball rather than left (in a vain attempt to stop the ball going left) which of course causes a hook.
    I also think I have a habit of setting my shoulders very closed compared to my feet. Have to keep my eye on that.

Back to it this morning but just short game and irons, happy enough. Wont get a pass for this evening though, pity as its lovely again!

That seems bananas, 6.6 hours at the range? What are you hoping to achieve? Is anyone physically fit enough for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Seeing some nice improvement in the chipping department. Holed a couple tonight. Have got the technique now, no fats or thins. Now to work on distance control. Out of a group of 10, 5 were within 3 foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

That's borderline mental especially if you're trying to self diagnose, you'll drive yourself bananas. It's one thing trying to a grove a new swing (even then a 6+ hour session on the range is way too much), why don't you go for a lesson and get to the root of the problem, and then your time on the range might be more constructive. Are you afarid the pro will deconstruct your game and turn you into a hacker?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

That's borderline mental especially if you're trying to self diagnose, you'll drive yourself bananas. It's one thing trying to a grove a new swing (even then a 6+ hour session on the range is way too much), why don't you go for a lesson and get to the root of the problem, and then your time on the range might be more constructive. Are you afarid the pro will deconstruct your game and turn you into a hacker?

Fully agree.. 6+ hours is madness, it cannot be quality practice over this length as focus will go and tiredness will kick in.
    Also the self diagnosing won't help without some sort of 3rd eye (either a pro or a friend who you trust massively) as they can record and pinpoint the issues for you. Also help you set the body to the right positions so you learn the movements.

Over that length of time you need to break things up with putting/chipping to give the body/mind a break. Practicing with specific goals like intervals offers the best results i.e having 2/3 targets and giving yourself 5 balls to get close. or working on specific shots - call them before hitting them and playing them. just drilling balls makes you think more about the technicalities within the swing and thats when you can really mess things up.

To clarify, that wasn't solid 6.5 hours!
    I did 2.5 in the morning and then the rest that evening, I'm not mental! (My mother had me tested!)

I do work on different things, different shapes with each club and also at least 1 hour of each session is hitting to 4 different targets at 30-50M distances.

Also hitting out of the practice bunker (seeing what club I can get out over the lip etc)

Its a range on the course so its all my own balls off turf which is nice.

Finally, factor in the time spent collecting the balls each time. (Which can take a while, I have ~80 balls in the bag and sometimes they arent as close together as I might like :))

• Advertisement

That seems bananas, 6.6 hours at the range? What are you hoping to achieve? Is anyone physically fit enough for that?
    Oh Im super fit :P
    I was tired the next morning, but still hit the range for 7am, amazing what a hot shower does for ya!
    hades wrote: »
    Yikes, how much did you spend on range balls?
    About 3 quid on a new permanent marker to stick my scrawl on the balls, damn other people hitting balls on MY range! The cheek of it!
    Are you afarid the pro will deconstruct your game and turn you into a hacker?

I am working on something specific, from the pro, he wont turn me into a hacker (despite me putting on 2 shots since I started seeing him :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Played my first comp/game in a few weeks on Monday. Slow to start but had 19 on the B9 to finish with 31 points off 6.

Picked up a bizarre penalty on 17. I had a long putt as one of my partners was marking his ball a couple of feet to the left of the flag, except instead of marking it he looked up at my putt and as it got closer he kept looking and did nothing. My ball hit his so a 1 shot penalty incurred.

Glad with how the round developed. Pure crap the first few holes but got into it and hit 7 greens on the B9 and was just off the other 2.

Nice bit of practice on short game and putting mainly on Tuesday evening and another singles this evening. A bad round will see me back to 7 :rolleyes:

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Played my first comp/game in a few weeks on Monday. Slow to start but had 19 on the B9 to finish with 31 points off 6.

Picked up a bizarre penalty on 17. I had a long putt as one of my partners was marking his ball a couple of feet to the left of the flag, except instead of marking it he looked up at my putt and as it got closer he kept looking and did nothing. My ball hit his so a 1 shot penalty incurred.

Glad with how the round developed. Pure crap the first few holes but got into it and hit 7 greens on the B9 and was just off the other 2.

Nice bit of practice on short game and putting mainly on Tuesday evening and another singles this evening. A bad round will see me back to 7 :rolleyes:

Hitting another ball on the putting green is a 2 stroke penalty (19-5a)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Hitting another ball on the putting green is a 2 stroke penalty (19-5a)

My bad. Didn't even think to check it out when my playing partners said it was a 1 shot penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Got my first cut after an open last week. Cut 0.5 to my lowest handicap of 12.0.
    Threw away the win with a bogey, double, double finish but still delighted as played well most of the day

Won first round of my first ever singles matchplay in first round of club singles matchplay.
    Was 5 up at the turn and my opponent (who was having a real off day) conceded the match.
    Started nervous but settled a bit. Didn't play great but well enough. Happy to be through anyway

So overall things going well. I do at times feel like parts of my game are being held together with sticky tape.
    My putting and chipping has been consistently good but everything else requiring regular tweaks to stay decent.

So no golf this w/e....weather is good so of course I'm not playing (grrrr)
    Playing Bandon this week and always throw away a good score on back 9 there.
    Have a new plan in place so we'll see how that goes.

Onwards and downwards !!

So the sticky plaster came off eventually :(
    In Bandon typically. Played ok to start and was level 2s through 7 but felt I was a bit off. And it all fell apart until last 3 holes - couldn't do anything right.

But found something in those last 3 holes and have settled since. 37 points (no cut as CSS was 39 :rolleyes: ) on Monday in Ballyneety was a good sign.

Trying out a new driver. 910 D3. Have always struggled with high spin and this yoke is a monster if hit well. Early days with it but hopefully it will be work out for me.

Anyway hoping to play Monday and its only a short while till the Atlantic Coast Challenge so all still good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

alxmorgan wrote: »
    So the sticky plaster came off eventually :(
    In Bandon typically. Played ok to start and was level 2s through 7 but felt I was a bit off. And it all fell apart until last 3 holes - couldn't do anything right.

But found something in those last 3 holes and have settled since. 37 points (no cut as CSS was 39 :rolleyes: ) on Monday in Ballyneety was a good sign.

Trying out a new driver. 910 D3. Have always struggled with high spin and this yoke is a monster if hit well. Early days with it but hopefully it will be work out for me.

Anyway hoping to play Monday and its only a short while till the Atlantic Coast Challenge so all still good :D

So you had 8 holes where you could do nothing right and scored 37 points. I wish I could manage 37 points when I feel I am playing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

So you had 8 holes where you could do nothing right and scored 37 points. I wish I could manage 37 points when I feel I am playing well.

I wish !!. Different round. Bandon was implosion. Ballyneety was different day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

So I played a few holes with a 6 handicapper last night who gave me a great fix for my driving. That coupled with the advice from my pro to play with my slice but continue to practice properly if that makes sense meant today I hit the ball very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

My game right now....
    Driving great
    Irons decent
    Short game not bad
    Putting streeeaky!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

So after 6 months of lessons - about 1 a month. I feel good about my game.

Well - I feel I know how to hit a good shot now, I know how to work with my swing a bit more. It is a sort of acceptance, that, I should refine what I have , to try get to better basic positions in my swing. This trying to get a perfect swing , is a bit daft and unrealistic.

I reduced my swing down to a few basic trigger points - but I needed to find the triggers that works for my swing.

I feel , I can almost give myself a lesson , based on what the flight of the ball is. I think lessons will be a part of my game at regular intervals now, sort of an NCT - on grip , alignment, posture, takeaway, turn - amazing how something so simple , can sometimes cause you heartache , when you could fix it with a slight change. Even old habits can come back in like poor ball position.

This was great for me (simplifying swing thoughts) - as I did get to a space , when I was thinking about way too much over the ball.
    Yes - I do get into crazy detail at range , but a simple little trigger is all I have on course.

I've gone to 3 wood a good bit now - this is an experiment that looks to have real potential , I could never hit a 3 wood in the past, but, I've changed so much , I need to test all clubs and see what my new game can and can't do.

I'm refining equipment now, looking at clubs and lofts and stuff I couldn't have dreamt about in the past - This low handicap stuff is hard work :D - no it is nice to be in a new space of the game , where you are sort of starting off again.

So a good space, all about short game and the scoring shots now.

Notice that my wedges are getting closer and the chances for Birdies are more and more.

Putting is way better than 6 months ago - but still way more work to go here. Still, I am getting birdies and holing more - so positives here - just weak from 6 foot in. But working on it.

So - summer here we go.

Time to just - forget all above , and get out and enjoy this brilliant game.

• Advertisement

I'm in a relatively good place with my game at the moment. We had our captains prize over the weekend, i carded a 77 net (91 gross) which missed out on the cut by 4 shots. However, in that round i had 4 triple bogeys and 2 doubles, so i was +16 for 6 holes and i was only +4 for the other 12. Three of the triples came from nothing, a good drive followed by a poor approach which put me in trouble and i struggled from there. So i just have to be a lot more focused on my approach irons and perhaps stop pin seeking.

So a lot of positives and if i can keep my blow ups to a minimum i can start to progress again.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

I haven't been playing the last 10 days but got out for 3 hours practice yesterday and I was really happy with how I was swinging the club.. I am doing a good bit in the gym (crossfit) which is really helping my game as my mobility is improving and my hip is clearing much easier.. Also doing work on a impact bag at home to get that impact position right...

Short game is still a work in process but I am seeing the improvements of practice from carpets and really tight lies at home.

I just need to get a few competitive rounds in but time is killing me, with work, baby and what feels like weddings every weekend I am struggling to get enough time for competitions.. Overall happy with where it is going but not put the game under pressure in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Played surprisingly well at the weekend.

37 points with 3 scratches on my home course, followed by 36 points with 1 scratch in dun laoghaire on Sunday. Hadn't ever played the course before so was very happy.

Have a lesson tomorrow night to try iron out last couple of swing kinks.

Driving is coming good, as are long irons & most approach irons.

Could get closer from the 80-40 yard range.

Chipping still a little rusty.

Happy with the putter right now.

Think my biggest issue is keeping focus. One or two small lapses seem to pop up each round. Keep my head & handicap should start to drop!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Macker1

Played surprisingly well at the weekend.

37 points with 3 scratches on my home course, followed by 36 points with 1 scratch in dun laoghaire on Sunday. Hadn't ever played the course before so was very happy.

Have a lesson tomorrow night to try iron out last couple of swing kinks.

Driving is coming good, as are long irons & most approach irons.

Could get closer from the 80-40 yard range.

Chipping still a little rusty.

Happy with the putter right now.

Think my biggest issue is keeping focus. One or two small lapses seem to pop up each round. Keep my head & handicap should start to drop!

37 points with 3 scratches :eek:

Without those scratches you would have been in the running no problem. What holes and what happened ??

Macker1 wrote: »
    37 points with 3 scratches :eek:

Without those scratches you would have been in the running no problem. What holes and what happened ??

Tell me about it!

First scratch was 4th, mis-hit drive just short & caught hazard, hit a decent recovery iron to the corner which left an 8 iron in. Hit the green but 3 putted.

Was mostly great golf excluding that up to 17th. Played the par first 3 par 5s in -2.

Had 37 points coming off 16th green with 18 points for 1st 7 holes on the back 9 (6 Pars with a double on 13 mixed in).

So, scratched 17 & 18 which I don't think I've ever done in grange castle in a competitive round :(

17, slightly heavy tee shot left a tricky chip from downhill lie, came out a little thin & then my 2nd 3 putt of the day.

18, 2 tee shots oob & i was done.

Funny day, I had total 22 putts for 16 holes & 2 3-putts for the scratch holes. The 3-putts were result of bad lag putts leaving too much to do rather than missed tiddlers. And had 2 bad driving holes on about the only 2 holes on the course where you can't afford bad drives in 4 & 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭LinksLad

Last two outings in club match-play.

On both I started out poorly, but finished well.

First match I ended up 3 down with four to play, having hit a lot of mid/long irons weakly to the right, while most short irons were pulled. Putting kept me in it. Nailed it on the last four holes, leaving tap-ins all the way. Opponent naturally gutted, not even extra holes required!

Second match was much the same, just more so. Lost the first three to pars. We see-sawed our way to the 14th tee where I was 5 down with five to play. Proceeded to win them all, despite finding the lateral with my drive on 18. Dramatic halves on 19 and 20, but made a mess of 21, where he made birdie when a three-putt would probably have won for him. Me naturally gutted, having got to extra holes!

Tell me about it!

First scratch was 4th, mis-hit drive just short & caught hazard, hit a decent recovery iron to the corner which left an 8 iron in. Hit the green but 3 putted.

Was mostly great golf excluding that up to 17th. Played the par first 3 par 5s in -2.

Had 37 points coming off 16th green with 18 points for 1st 7 holes on the back 9 (6 Pars with a double on 13 mixed in).

So, scratched 17 & 18 which I don't think I've ever done in grange castle in a competitive round :(

17, slightly heavy tee shot left a tricky chip from downhill lie, came out a little thin & then my 2nd 3 putt of the day.

18, 2 tee shots oob & i was done.

Funny day, I had total 22 putts for 16 holes & 2 3-putts for the scratch holes. The 3-putts were result of bad lag putts leaving too much to do rather than missed tiddlers. And had 2 bad driving holes on about the only 2 holes on the course where you can't afford bad drives in 4 & 18.

On the upside, I just noticed that 37 points was enough to pick up my class prize, shocked, but happy days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Macker1

On the upside, I just noticed that 37 points was enough to pick up my class prize, shocked, but happy days :D

Well done Spacecoyote on the win. :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

LinksLad wrote: »
    Last two outings in club match-play.

On both I started out poorly, but finished well.

First match I ended up 3 down with four to play, having hit a lot of mid/long irons weakly to the right, while most short irons were pulled. Putting kept me in it. Nailed it on the last four holes, leaving tap-ins all the way. Opponent naturally gutted, not even extra holes required!

Second match was much the same, just more so. Lost the first three to pars. We see-sawed our way to the 14th tee where I was 5 down with five to play. Proceeded to win them all, despite finding the lateral with my drive on 18. Dramatic halves on 19 and 20, but made a mess of 21, where he made birdie when a three-putt would probably have won for him. Me naturally gutted, having got to extra holes!

If I'm right here (going out on a limb) I was fairly gutted alright :-) the first match that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭LinksLad

m r c wrote: »
    If I'm right here (going out on a limb) I was fairly gutted alright :-) the first match that is.
    Looked back at your previous posts, and I reckon that has to have been our match.
    You were the better golfer on the day, and just a couple of loose ones gave me a chance to get back in. Add to that the bad break up on the right of 18 and that was that.
    I'd say you are up for a nice cut in h'cap this year. Just hoping I can follow suit.

Again, well played, hard luck, and see you the next time!

Advertisement