Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Taking the plunge on lessons. Have a good few quid in the club account and you can use it for lessons.

Does a 6 for 5 deal, but I'm going to start out with two lessons, putting and chipping. My driving is solid, my irons do need work but I'm not ready for wholesale changes.

Putting and chipping so sporadic, one day good, another bad. Consecutive 36's Sat and Sunday when I felt I could have had 40+ (off 8) convinced me to finally go get looked at.

Only lessins I've ever had was provided as a junior and I somewhat didn't head anyting as they were group lessons and felt it wasn't tailored to me. So hoping this will help me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

dan_ep82 wrote: »

Nearly cried when I hit the driver from right to left

I used to fade the ball all the time, was just my natural shape. Then I did some work from videos on youtube, stuck at it, and now I hit my driver with a draw that feels like second nature, irons aswell.

It's a gorgous shape alright, and the benefits are endless. Find I get a lot more spin of my irons drawing the ball, rather then the fade.

Stick with it. Be prepared to hit some snap hooks, and the odd slingshot hook, but stick with it. There is something confidence boosting about drawing your driver, and in the summer months you REALLY notice the benefit from the extra run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

TheDoc wrote: »
    I used to fade the ball all the time, was just my natural shape. Then I did some work from videos on youtube, stuck at it, and now I hit my driver with a draw that feels like second nature, irons aswell.

It's a gorgous shape alright, and the benefits are endless. Find I get a lot more spin of my irons drawing the ball, rather then the fade.

Stick with it. Be prepared to hit some snap hooks, and the odd slingshot hook, but stick with it. There is something confidence boosting about drawing your driver, and in the summer months you REALLY notice the benefit from the extra run.

Yeah I was out today and had some hooks while working out the swing but I had some of my best drives since I started playing aswell.

Near the end I couldn't draw the ball but a very slight fade. The irons were drawing really well, the strike consistency went up and my distance/accuracy came back and the same with the wedges.

Just the ball flight and speed alone was so different it took a while to aim right and go up a club instead of down. Draw or fade I don't mind but if I get the better results with the draw its what I'll play.
    It's definitely something I'll keep working on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Played 7 holes this afternoon before the rain came and decided to head in. Hit 4 FIRs and hit the ball beautiful. It's the small things!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

Played a matchplay in Royal Dublin last night against a guy off 1. Got beaten on the 19th but played well overall. Hit my irons really well and could have won it. Was 1down playing the 18th which is a hole I never play well. Missed the par putt but a bogey was enough to win the hole. Encouraged to see the game looks to be on the way back after a few poor months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Back after a little break.

Had a 79 around Grange Castle - was happy enough , but well, we always have a but. Pulling most stuff. OB with a duck hook :(

Was playing with a friend of mine recently who started playing under my insistence 3 years ago. He plays off 28 in our society and has been a hard fight to get there.

In the pub after a few , he said to me , for a single figure golfer - I was becoming way too mechanical around the greens :D

I love this game, you should always look at every golfer and listen to their views. You can learn something from everybody. I have actually picked something up about the game from every golfer I have played with. A pace of a green , a way they got par , the way they approach a shot , the way they view a hole.

He was right - I had gone for putting and 9 irons too much off the green and all rigid body, no hands, was almost fearful of playing shots in the air. This was a nightmare away from a links. So decided to just get back playing by feel and trying to aim at the flag more , commit to the s/w , get it to the hole.

Much better up and down rate .

So - need a little tweak on this pull on long stuff - most people wouldn't notice it , But , I'm pulling everything.

Feel a little tweak here and there and getting down to 5 is on. First time I feel that.
    There is so much room to improve with just little changes. :D - in driving - long game - wedges - putter.

But maybe we all feel like that, the day after watching the pros. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Back after a little break.

Had a 79 around Grange Castle - was happy enough , but well, we always have a but. Pulling most stuff. OB with a duck hook :(

Was playing with a friend of mine recently who started playing under my insistence 3 years ago. He plays off 28 in our society and has been a hard fight to get there.

In the pub after a few , he said to me , for a single figure golfer - I was becoming way too mechanical around the greens :D

I love this game, you should always look at every golfer and listen to their views. You can learn something from everybody. I have actually picked something up about the game from every golfer I have played with. A pace of a green , a way they got par , the way they approach a shot , the way they view a hole.

He was right - I had gone for putting and 9 irons too much off the green and all rigid body, no hands, was almost fearful of playing shots in the air. This was a nightmare away from a links. So decided to just get back playing by feel and trying to aim at the flag more , commit to the s/w , get it to the hole.

Much better up and down rate .

So - need a little tweak on this pull on long stuff - most people wouldn't notice it , But , I'm pulling everything.

Feel a little tweak here and there and getting down to 5 is on. First time I feel that.
    There is so much room to improve with just little changes. :D - in driving - long game - wedges - putter.

But maybe we all feel like that, the day after watching the pros. :)

Pulling everything ? Irons ? Only things you hit down on ?

Yes alx,

Mostly irons, Could be a hangover from when I was slicing. That I had a fear of an open club face at set up. I hit a much better iron if I open up face a tiny bit at set up.

Yes alx,

Mostly irons, Could be a hangover from when I was slicing. That I had a fear of an open club face at set up. I hit a much better iron if I open up face a tiny bit at set up.

I ask as I developed the same issue. Have counter-acted it by hitting to play a baby fade and it ends up straight (sometimes :D ). If you hit down you are also hitting in to out by definition which will cause ball to draw.

Mr Rice does a good video on it:

http://www.andrewricegolf.com/andrew-rice-golf/2011/07/understanding-swing-plane-and-club-path

"In order to neutralize the club path, the swing plane must actually be rotated to the left. Thus, with a descending attack angle, in order to create a straight club path, the swing plane must be rotated to the left of the target line (for right handers)."

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

alxmorgan wrote: »
    I ask as I developed the same issue. Have counter-acted it by hitting to play a baby fade and it ends up straight (sometimes :D ). If you hit down you are also hitting in to out by definition which will cause ball to draw.

Mr Rice does a good video on it:

http://www.andrewricegolf.com/andrew-rice-golf/2011/07/understanding-swing-plane-and-club-path

"In order to neutralize the club path, the swing plane must actually be rotated to the left. Thus, with a descending attack angle, in order to create a straight club path, the swing plane must be rotated to the left of the target line (for right handers)."

Disagree with that, in to out for a draw swing will be a flatter swing than out to in, which is a more upright, fade swing.

Rotating the place left is rotating out to in, i.e. upright a fade swing.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    Disagree with that, in to out for a draw swing will be a flatter swing than out to in, which is a more upright, fade swing.

Jaysus lads - I don't even know the fundamentals of the game :o
    Do we need to ?

I'm hoping , I go to a pro and she gives me a basic swing idea to get it back down the line , I need to get ball starting right.

I could just open the face a little before gripping. This gives immediate results.

I'm hoping it is simple - not changing anything drastic at this time of the year. I feel it is just a tweak.

Hitting down means you are hitting the ball before the bottom of the arc which means you are moving outwards. I believe that a draw or fade can be hit with the same swing plane i.e. you do not need to be flatter or steeper to hit draws/fades. Do you disagree with what Andrew Rice is saying ? If not am I saying something different ?

Having a good week. Hit 40 pts on Sunday for the win to get cut from 12.6 to 11.5 and and won my singles matchplay QF last night 5 & 3 to make semi at first attempt.

Didn't play brilliant on either occasion but big difference is I am staying in play.
    Hit driver 5 times Sunday and only twice during match last night. Have been hitting hybrid off tee a lot as in this weather it is going as far as a bad drive.

Putting and chipping well, irons into greens much improved as I have stopped pulling them (for the most part). Hitting hybrids well also. Finally starting to stop the mental mistakes that were killing me.

So all good :D

Had another lesson Sunday just gone.

Ball had crept forward in my stance which was why I was catching the toe and slightly thin on the face.

Moved the ball back and finding the middle of the club face again.

Find I'm having to work out my yardages again. My 6i has gone from 160yds carry to 180-185 and flew a good few greens yesterday.

Driver is still hit and miss so it doesn't get out often but I haven't had as much practice with it as my irons.

Had my fourth comp yesterday and added my fourth .1 back though. Haven't seemed to catch a break, apart from the first comp I played I've had horrendous luck with being sick on the day, if not a toothache its something else and it reflects on my score. That and the bit of added pressure from the comp leaves me with a few scratches every round where as before they were rare.

Playing in the open Tuesday and I have the day booked off work instead of after to give myself a decent chance at hitting the buffer at least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Had a lesson last night. I was congratulating us on making the long term goal of single figures but she stopped me in my tracks and asked what my new target was. I didn't really have one and she made me set the new target at 5.4

Thinking about it on way home it was a good bit of coaching from her as I had started to feel like I had made it and laziness was creeping in. Another target now and motivation is back. It definitely helps to push you along.

Anyway onto the lesson. She noticed that my shoulders were very rounded at address leading to some bad hits every now and again. I’m having maybe 3 bad iron strikes a round which was costing me 4 or 5 shots. Worked on broadening the shoulders and in particular the right one to improve the backswing position and in turn the transition. Was striking the ball very well and it made a huge difference. Looking forward to practicing this now over the next weeks and seeing if I can get a couple of cuts before the summer.

Funny thing was I was smashing what I thought was my 6 iron and was very happy with trajectory and distance. After the lesson I had noticed that it was my 8 iron. Not sure a good thing or bad thing really.

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Hitting down means you are hitting the ball before the bottom of the arc which means you are moving outwards. I believe that a draw or fade can be hit with the same swing plane i.e. you do not need to be flatter or steeper to hit draws/fades. Do you disagree with what Andrew Rice is saying ? If not am I saying something different ?

You can hit down on the ball from in to out or out to in...I dont see why hitting down means moving outwards?
    A draw swing will be flatter becase your body is in the way more. Fade swing will be steeper because you are swinging away from your body and after a certain point you can only go "up" rather than around.

The plane points to the right for a draw and left for a fade, I dont think the same swing plane can hit a draw or a fade, unless you are talking about open/closing the clubface which I wouldnt count as "true" ball movement/control.

Where the club bottoms out is not really relevant imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I played my first 18 holes in at least a year there (though it was front 9 last night and back 9 this morning). If you combine the two together I got about 32 points which I am bloody delighted with considering how long it had been since I played. I'd 2 birdies, 6 pars, and then a mix of bogey all the way to scratch for the rest of the holes.

Things to work on: My driver was leaking off to the right. I know what the problem is, basically not completing my backswing and then releasing on the downswing. When I do that the drive goes fine, when I don't it just goes miles right.
    Short game: I have absolutely no feel for the greens. Long putts were awful, couldn't get the speed of them at all. Couldn't chip or pitch until about the 12th hole either.

Overall: Very encouraged!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

The plane points to the right for a draw and left for a fade, I dont think the same swing plane can hit a draw or a fade, unless you are talking about open/closing the clubface which I wouldnt count as "true" ball movement/control.

Would you call what Bubba does "true" ball movement/control as he plays with feel of clubface rather than plane to manufacture ball flight. It's a wonderful gift to have!

ssbob wrote: »
    Would you call what Bubba does "true" ball movement/control as he plays with feel of clubface rather than plane to manufacture ball flight. It's a wonderful gift to have!

Bubba uses swing path to move the ball though...
    How Bubba bends

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Bubba uses swing path to move the ball though...
    How Bubba bends

He is very dependant on his hands for feel of clubface rather than path, I can't find the link but I have heard Simon Holmes, Denis Pugh say a number of times of how Bubba uses more feel in his hands to direct clubface than plane.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

Played 18 yesterday evening, very up and down. Hitting the ball well but not scoring well. Had 33 points which isn't bad but helped by 8 points on the last 3 holes.

For example I had a double on the first, followed by a bogey, then almost got my first hole in one when it landed in the hole and bounced out for a tap in bird, followed this with a triple after being up beside the green in 2. Pared the next and practically drove the next green only stopping in the front bunker before getting a bogey, another par followed by a bogey and a par for 17 points.

Basically the scoring was all over the place, couldn't get a run of pars or even bogeys going. Anyway back 9 was much the same with a good start followed by 2 points in 3 fuppen holes and a decent finish. Nice birdie on the last after just missing an eagle putt.

Great to get back out there but I really need to practice around the green if I want to improve and get down to single figures.

ssbob wrote: »
    He is very dependant on his hands for feel of clubface rather than path, I can't find the link but I have heard Simon Holmes, Denis Pugh say a number of times of how Bubba uses more feel in his hands to direct clubface than plane.......

But the ball isnt in contact with the face long enough for twisting of the face to make any difference. The face is open, square or close at impact and the ball starts off in that direction and bends back based on the swing path.

The ball bends by the face angle being different to the swing path if they are the same the ball goes straight.

You cant aim down the middle of the fairway and then just manipulate the clubface to bend the ball back into the middle, its just not possible without also altering the swing path/plane.

/edit
    just realised this is the "hows your game thread!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Got my first handicap of 18 which is exactly what I would have said myself before playing any of the official rounds.

Went around Balbriggan in a best ever 83 gross last week including 8 pars and birdie. First competition now on Monday to try and shave a shot off!

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Was really starting to get annoyed with my self of late . Mainly due to lack of distance with each club in my bag . Now i wouldn call myself a beginner anymore as I'm nearly playing 2 years and was giving a 21 HC .

But as iv become a better ballstriker and more consistent it's my distance that has become a real issue . I'd say my average drive is 200 yards , 6i 140 , 8i 120 , Pw 100 and Sw at best 80 .

So as you can see they are not great numbers . Take in to account I'm 30 years of age , 5.11 and in pretty good shape .

So I came across a couple of guys on Utube called meandmygolf . They speak about creating lag to generate power . And explain that 90% of people starting the game would have an early release , this causes all the power of your swing to happen at near knee hight on your downswing . I'm sure most on here know exactly what I'm talking about .

So got to head up to the driving range tonight and to my delight I seen instant results . I know it's hard to see exactly where your ball stops on a range and there was not a hint of breeze but there was more carry on all my clubs .

I did hit a few shots fat and I was hitting of range matts so I know it will be more difficult on the course but tonight was a real break trough .

Sorry about the long winded post but a happy golfer tonight .

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭whatstherush

Had 24 points on Sunday off 20, must have scratched 6-7 holes, driver was all over the shop, went out Tuesday with few Mates played the back nine only. Was 3 over gross with 25 points for the nine holes.

My head is wrecked that I don't carry it through to Sunday comps. Maybe was more relaxed because I was playing with mates vs relative strangers usually on the Sunday, but I don't think that explains it fully either.

Was really starting to get annoyed with my self of late . Mainly due to lack of distance with each club in my bag . Now i wouldn call myself a beginner anymore as I'm nearly playing 2 years and was giving a 21 HC .

But as iv become a better ballstriker and more consistent it's my distance that has become a real issue . I'd say my average drive is 200 yards , 6i 140 , 8i 120 , Pw 100 and Sw at best 80 .

So as you can see they are not great numbers . Take in to account I'm 30 years of age , 5.11 and in pretty good shape .

So I came across a couple of guys on Utube called meandmygolf . They speak about creating lag to generate power . And explain that 90% of people starting the game would have an early release , this causes all the power of your swing to happen at near knee hight on your downswing . I'm sure most on here know exactly what I'm talking about .

So got to head up to the driving range tonight and to my delight I seen instant results . I know it's hard to see exactly where your ball stops on a range and there was not a hint of breeze but there was more carry on all my clubs .

I did hit a few shots fat and I was hitting of range matts so I know it will be more difficult on the course but tonight was a real break trough .

Sorry about the long winded post but a happy golfer tonight .
    I was having an issue with distance, mainly my wedges, for a long time until the lesson. I was leaving the face open at impact so presenting a higher loft at impact. Basically turning a 7i into an 8.5i

Feels really nice when you have to club down eh :D

Summer - is tricky for your golf , when you have kids off school.
    Can't wait for a few years when they can play.

I'm still playing a good bit - but range time and practice is gone.
    Anyway - minor complaint. I still get more time at the game then most I know. And I have a great run in winter golf and the school year. I'm very very lucky.

But my swing is high maintenance - very high. If I don't do solid range work - I drift back to a major trash / OTT action from the top.

Got to range and after 20 balls - could see how far my swing had drifted. Amazing - only let the range go for 2 months.

Was just about able to hit a real golf shot at end.

Great to think , I can fix parts of my swing myself now - couldn't do that 3 years ago. But - still a worry that , I sort of, have a swing that is wrong and always wants to come back.

On one side, a lad my age had a baby maybe 9 months old - the other a girlfriend in high heels. I'm not the only one who has time management issues. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

On the verge of giving up due to stress over golf, leading to tight swing and terrible contacts. Struggling to score in 20's. Wasn't going to play last weekend. At in laws with no clubs. Brother in law needed to get out so in the rain, in a teeshirt and shorts, and clubs borrowed off his wife, for the first time in about 4 years managed to relax over swing, and suddenly, boom. Smooth and straight. Chipping and putting was always good, so racked up 18 points of 13 holes with a few dopey scratches and no putts dropping, but boy it felt a different game.

Now this weekend looms, getting my clubs out, hoping to replicate the relaxation of last weekend, but I can feel the stress building up already :(

Just on putting,

I was planning on a putting lesson soon but once I mentioned it to the pro he gave me a 10minute freebie on it.

Now I'm delofting the putter (shaft lean) which is the opposite to what I was doing. Looking at the ball instead of the putter and same length back as forward.

Also on 3-4ft and less I look at the hole through the stroke once set up.

The last two games my putting has seen a serious improvement. Today I missed nothing from 3ft and only one from 5ft. Everything else ( bar one of the long ones) left me within 2ft and some were one putts.

So confident from 3ft in, hoping it will show in the scores from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

Started off the season at 21 but now off 18... just cruising

Advertisement