Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

10th night in a row at the range and almost have a feeling for what my good swing feels like.

Have to make sure I stay down, keep arms close and keys my legs/hips start the down swing.

Not playing until Monday so we will see!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

GreeBo wrote: »
    10th night in a row at the range

I suggest you return to the golf addict thread immediately before anyone performs an intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

10th night in a row at the range and almost have a feeling for what my good swing feels like.

Have to make sure I stay down, keep arms close and keys my legs/hips start the down swing.

Not playing until Monday so we will see!
    Some effort being put in :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

This is the least amount of range work I have done in 3 years.

Never taught I'd say it - It is showing big time.

Straight right , pull.

Not sure what my swing is over wedges.

You work on the short - the long goes - you work on the long the short goes.

This game is not easy for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I was getting frustrated with the inconsistencies in my game, 19 points, 40 points, 32 points so I didn't hit a ball since outing in Gowran. Was just thinking of where I thought I was going wrong. Went out yesterday and shot best round of the year so far. Still a few things to iron out but at least I enjoyed the round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Having a good week. Hit 40 pts on Sunday for the win to get cut from 12.6 to 11.5 and and won my singles matchplay QF last night 5 & 3 to make semi at first attempt.

Didn't play brilliant on either occasion but big difference is I am staying in play.
    Hit driver 5 times Sunday and only twice during match last night. Have been hitting hybrid off tee a lot as in this weather it is going as far as a bad drive.

Putting and chipping well, irons into greens much improved as I have stopped pulling them (for the most part). Hitting hybrids well also. Finally starting to stop the mental mistakes that were killing me.

So all good :D

Last few rounds being affected by some bad holes. Scratch Cup last Sunday and was +7 for two holes and missed out on third by 2 strokes.

Had my best ever round going week before that and finished last four holes in +6.

Going well again this week but finished with 1 pt for last 2.

Think it is a focus issue but defo something I need to work on as it is quite frustrating. Still happy enough with how I am playing though so onwards and downwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Heart broke today but spoke to lowest handicap player club tonight and he said "scrubber the only difference between you and me is lessons, practice and patience."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Felexicon

ankles wrote: »
    On the verge of giving up due to stress over golf, leading to tight swing and terrible contacts. Struggling to score in 20's. Wasn't going to play last weekend. At in laws with no clubs. Brother in law needed to get out so in the rain, in a teeshirt and shorts, and clubs borrowed off his wife, for the first time in about 4 years managed to relax over swing, and suddenly, boom. Smooth and straight. Chipping and putting was always good, so racked up 18 points of 13 holes with a few dopey scratches and no putts dropping, but boy it felt a different game.

Now this weekend looms, getting my clubs out, hoping to replicate the relaxation of last weekend, but I can feel the stress building up already :(

If it's causing you stress you should just give up the game altogether. No point having a hobby you dread doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Dropped by McGuirk's there to try out the G30 driver (which is pretty damn impressive) and was carrying it a bit further than my usual 230-240 yards. Fitter said I should be hitting it much further with 105 mph swing and the reason I wasn't is that I was launching it at 9* even though it was an 11* driver. Something for my lesson next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Felexicon wrote: »
    If it's causing you stress you should just give up the game altogether. No point having a hobby you dread doing.

Think I have a game in there somewhere though, but the mental block is making me play worse each time. Bad again this weekend, two rounds, 17 :eek: then 27 :rolleyes: . Almost walked off after first two holes of 2nd round after failing to get ball in the air. Then racked up a few bogeys and pars over the next few holes. Good from 100 yards in, holed a few putts lots of good two putts. But some long irons were just shocking low left pulls. Anyway, let the torture continue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Great session on the range at lunch time. Driver only a week or so away from clicking. Iron distances and accuracy improving with the 9 iron carrying 130 yards now.

Watch out 70. I'm going to smash your face in soon!

Wombatman wrote: »
    ......Driver only a week or so away from clicking.........

I've been telling myself that ever week

for about 5 years now!!!;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Played 9 holes tonight and i finished 6 over . 3 pars 6 bogies .

23 points of 21. Would of loved to play the back nine as I played the best golf I ever have .

Seen a video form Meandmygolf a few weeks back about creating lag and keeping hands forward when hitting irons . This has been the biggest difference in my game . I'm now hitting crisp irons shots and taking divots and iv added 10 to 15 yards on each irons .

Iv been also putting in the practice with the short game , my chipping around the greens has really improved . I used to be a nervous mess from 10 yards off a green now I look forward to these shots .

Putting is poor . Not so much from 3 feet in but if I'm 20 feet on more my distance control is poor which leads to alot of 3 putts .

But absolutely loving this game at the moment

Putting is poor . Not so much from 3 feet in but if I'm 20 feet on more my distance control is poor which leads to alot of 3 putts .

But absolutely loving this game at the moment

I had similar and it was due to poor contact. Try keeping your head down until the ball is well gone.
    If you are hitting different parts of the putter each time its very hard to get consistent and to start judging pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

43 POINTS...

A combined score from my last 2 rounds.

Despite that, happy enough with things. Hoping to put those rounds to bed.
    Will prob get cut in my next :)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

For the few comps I'm playing this year, golf is wrecking my head (and back!).

Played 9 holes in corballis Tuesday morning and it was the best I've struck it, drawing each shot from 9i to driver and very happy with the distance on each club. Play portmarnock on Wednesday and I'm hooking the s*it of 95% of all clubs. That frustration then leaks into my short game. Just gotta keep working at it.

Story for the last few weeks ,

On the range or at home,9/10, (both with targets set to 180) I can hit out the middle with a 6i and a lovely draw to only 10-15yds off line at most.

The driver is more on target, hybrids,wedges etc are all really good contact and accurate

Then I get to the course for a comp and after 5 or 6 holes everything goes wrong. Thinning,slicing,chunking,topping irons and I can never seem to get back into that groove.

Have a lesson Saturday and the Pro wants to play a few holes next week aswell so I'm hoping he can give me some kind of a mental drill to get over it.

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Story for the last few weeks ,

On the range or at home,9/10, (both with targets set to 180) I can hit out the middle with a 6i and a lovely draw to only 10-15yds off line at most.

The driver is more on target, hybrids,wedges etc are all really good contact and accurate

Then I get to the course for a comp and after 5 or 6 holes everything goes wrong. Thinning,slicing,chunking,topping irons and I can never seem to get back into that groove.

Have a lesson Saturday and the Pro wants to play a few holes next week aswell so I'm hoping he can give me some kind of a mental drill to get over it.

Sounds like you might benefit from a bit if a pre shot routine?
    You may be losing concentration when you get into the round and losing focus over the ball.

Try to recreate playing conditions when you are at the range for each shot.

Sounds like you might benefit from a bit if a pre shot routine?
    You may be losing concentration when you get into the round and losing focus over the ball.

Try to recreate playing conditions when you are at the range for each shot.
    I have one currently which I do on every hit. Some playing partners seem to get annoyed but it literally only takes 20-25 seconds

I stand 10yds behind and get a look at the lie etc and choose a club.
    Get grip of club and take a line to target and "see" the shot
    Check club face with a short swing then a quick follow through swing.
    Step up to ball, align face to target through target line, set feet
    Quick glance at target then swing.

I think it might be something to do with playing with new people, I feel like I have to make decent contact all round or I'll get it in the ear about my HC in some form or other

The last 4/5 comps (on the first few holes where I'm playing well) I've been told I have a great swing,contact, how did you get a HC so high etc only to have random advice thrown at me on the back nine after a few bad shots like "sure with a 20HCP you shouldn't be playing those irons" or "even some of the pro's use 5hybrids" :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Been practising hard for the Down Summer Trophy next week and game is shaping up nicely after a good bit of play.

Played two foursome matches and a V par competition last week and the different formats where a breath of fresh air from the usual stableford with the focus on hitting good shots and actually thinking about the type of shot while identifying good/bad misses with my playing partner had me thinking a bit more on the course.

Driving the ball especially well at the minute which is always good and really looking forward to getting out for three days back to back.

• Advertisement

I can't get any consistency going in a round lately, last week i had a birdie, 7 pars, 4 bogies and some muck, last night it was 6 pars, 4 bogies and the rest doubles or worse. I'd sacrifice pars to eliminate the doubles or worse - I just can't seem to keep them off my card lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

PARlance wrote: »
    43 POINTS...

A combined score from my last 2 rounds.

Despite that, happy enough with things. Hoping to put those rounds to bed.
    Will prob get cut in my next :)

While everyone is talking about Rory's bounce back, I decided to do one of my own... Like I promised last night :)

Got my cut today in Corballis, broke into the 70's for the first time too...It's only par 66 but I'd take that 79 over one in my home club any day.

20 points, 23 points, 38 points.

Atta boy PARlance :) Rory's got nothing on you ;)

Waiting on CSS, if it's 35, I'm a 14 Handicapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I'm really not getting enough golf in this year looking at the amount of rounds you lot are playing.

Out this Sunday morning in grange castle for my first swing of a golf club in 2 weeks...need to get some solid golfing in before the season gets to an end if I want to hit my target for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Haven't touched a club in 3 months because I've been away, last round was 38 off 6 to get cut back to 5, be very interesting to see how bad I've become in the mean time (not that I was Rory before or anything)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Took 2 weeks off golf there, needed the break but instead of just going out hitting balls, I wanted to just think about my game.... Just think...

About 2 days after I'd stopped I remembered a drill I had for shoulder turn and from watching mcilroy crush it the last couple of weeks I got a thought into my head that I cant describe accurately in text...

Anyways ive done nothing but rehearse the routine over and over in my kitchen for the last 10 days.

Couldnt wait any longer to get out there, played 6 holes last night, hitting two balls of each tee. First couple of holes werent great, but the swing felt really nice so I persisted with it. Third hole I hit a couple of decent drives but I hit 2 immaculate second shots into the heart of the green. Went down the 16th, hit 2 good drives and a 4 and 5 iron onto the green. The ball flight on the 5 iron was so sexy I got wood. Played 17 and 18 in a combined 2 under par.

Back out for a quick 3 holes this evening, 2 balls again, combined score of -1. 5 pars and a birdie.

Im not hitting the ball as far with the driver, but the irons im hitting longer, purer, taking a perfect little divot, beautiful crisp sound and that ball flight....

I'm reluctant to say I have this game sussed, I clearly havent but my golf life feels pretty good right now :D

Was on my Holidays - so going to do something I have never done - or try to forget about my putting display. Embarrising - but funny too.
    Had about 9 3 putts - unreal stuff.

Greens were fastest I was ever on - but it was shocking stuff.

Not far off - striking ball ok - still pulling - but can correct this most of the time on course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Was really on very good path towards the end of last year then couldn't quite kick on from there at the start of this year. The usual story really, sometimes it feels Im starting from the beginning every March.
    Then some other things and the football World Cup kept me away from really getting into this season, but now I can say I'm playing as well as I've ever been playing and I can move forwards from here.
    Really consolidating my - in relative terms - new swing every time I go out and accuracy and distances increase slowly without trying to. Just for the last year and a half I'm not second guessing and tinkering with my method, but believe in it and stick with it and it's after becoming my swing now that I go out with every time. And still getting better and hopefully much more to come.
    Won't make any predictions as to where I will end up by the end of the season, but things are really looking good and most importantly its soo much more fun.

Kids back in School soon is how is my game - love them , but...................:D

Have had a bad month of golf - combination of lack of practice and time and holidays. Real life - but had a great time too.

I lose my game fairly quick - so have had 6 - (0.1) - one cut of 0.2 - just a windy day on a course that suited me. So at 6.6 - not bad considering how poor I played - the cut helped. Honestly playing like an 20 + handicap player at times.

I'm in a little bit of a dilemma (well a first world problem) I need to try get rid of this pull - as need to play well in a good few things in September.

Going to play in the morning and if still pulling - heading to pro after. Hoping a minor check will get rid of it. In fairness - have to do something, September will be a wash out with it anyway.

Have an event in September (friends golf society) and trying to win it 3rd year in a row , the lads are doing everything they can to stop me . It is only a friendly society, but it is the bragging / slagging rights it gives you. Nice cup too.

They have banned me using a gps and will not announce courses it is on till the day :D:p:eek:

Bad.

Two weeks off done me no favours at all

26pts with 6 scratches.

Just need some range time to iron it out hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Kids back in School soon is how is my game - love them , but...................:D

Have had a bad month of golf - combination of lack of practice and time and holidays. Real life - but had a great time too.

I lose my game fairly quick - so have had 6 - (0.1) - one cut of 0.2 - just a windy day on a course that suited me. So at 6.6 - not bad considering how poor I played - the cut helped. Honestly playing like an 20 + handicap player at times.

I'm in a little bit of a dilemma (well a first world problem) I need to try get rid of this pull - as need to play well in a good few things in September.

Going to play in the morning and if still pulling - heading to pro after. Hoping a minor check will get rid of it. In fairness - have to do something, September will be a wash out with it anyway.

Have an event in September (friends golf society) and trying to win it 3rd year in a row , the lads are doing everything they can to stop me . It is only a friendly society, but it is the bragging / slagging rights it gives you. Nice cup too.

They have banned me using a gps and will not announce courses it is on till the day :D:p:eek:

If I start pulling I find it virtually impossible to correct myself but my pro is able to fix me almost instantly when I go to him with it and it's virtually always something to do with grip but I can never seem to correct it myself all the same!

Advertisement