Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If I start pulling I find it virtually impossible to correct myself but my pro is able to fix me almost instantly when I go to him with it and it's virtually always something to do with grip but I can never seem to correct it myself all the same!

Sorry, not one to judge but what you do in your own time should be kept private ;)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

My driving continues to be my downfall. Lessons will continue but pro did say a new driver is needed. I'll probably head for a fitting in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

My driving continues to be my downfall. Lessons will continue but pro did say a new driver is needed. I'll probably head for a fitting in the coming weeks.

I agree with him. You hit mine much better albeit over a small sample size. Where you going for fit ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Foregolf is what my pro said but Birr would be the easier option

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Think - I found something this evening - but often think that at a range.

We can all be heroes at the range - and then the truth is found out on the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Rikand wrote: »
    wall of text

best thing i've ever done! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

Hey Fix what would be your best advise to get your HC down I have played twice a week sometimes 3 times and hit the range at least once but still of 21HC. I would fix 1 thing and something else goes, playing golf about 5 yrs now and really wanted to give it a go this year and try get down a bit even!
    just can seem to get it all to click. Recently had a fit in FG and got new irons(which I love) and rescue(which I cant seem to hit) Driver was fine surprisingly. I have been off 21 all year so suppose I'm steady, yet in my society I have got down to 17 from 24! won a few outings and have been playing to 17. Just wont happen at my home course think I have a mental block at this stage! Going to see pro Thurs, I play great after a lesson for a few weeks then slip back.

very frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

benny79 wrote: »
    Hey Fix what would be your best advise to get your HC down I have played twice a week sometimes 3 times and hit the range at least once but still of 21HC. I would fix 1 thing and something else goes, playing golf about 5 yrs now and really wanted to give it a go this year and try get down a bit even!
    just can seem to get it all to click. Recently had a fit in FG and got new irons(which I love) and rescue(which I cant seem to hit) Driver was fine surprisingly. I have been off 21 all year so suppose I'm steady, yet in my society I have got down to 17 from 24! won a few outings and have been playing to 17. Just wont happen at my home course think I have a mental block at this stage! Going to see pro Thurs, I play great after a lesson for a few weeks then slip back.

very frustrating!

Please start a new thread or find a similar one, this thread is not for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Had a week off work so got a fair bit of golf in , managed to play 3 rounds and one range session . I'm off 21 but have only played one comp since I joined my club in March so it's not a fair reflection of my game as I know i would of went up .

Iv learned to play a draw off the tee so thankfully my slice is gone but now my bad one is a overdrawn/hook but I'm getting a bit more distance . Definitely need more practice with the driver but don't feel I'm a million miles away .

Hybrids are very hit and miss at the moment . I carry a 3 and 5 in the bag with irons from 6 up .

Iron play is the best part of my game at the moment . Iv gone from hands behind ball / scooping to hands ahead of ball and compressing it . Hitting each iron 15 yards further also so happy enough with this .

Pitching and chip shots around greens , well I'd say like most high HC players it the weakest part of my game . Don't get me wrong in the lastfew rounds iv had some really good up and downs . But iv also scratched holes from just off a green after 2 shots . Again this just needs alot of practice .

Putting has really improved . So much so I only had one 3 putt while playing Lucan on Friday and typically the last green . I used to struggle with getting the weight right on long putts but someone on hear suggested to me to literally keep my head down till a few seconds after the ball had left the putter face , as this make sure your hitting form middle of the face and a more solid hit .

Set a target of to be able to play to an 18 HC by March when I first got my Hc so an hoping to achieve this but if I don't I definitely enjoy trying .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭ifaptwohanded

I'm a hero on the range but terrible on the course and it continues. I like some find Golf so frustrating at times but it only takes me one good hole or shot to remind myself why i am out here playing. I am struggling with my irons and driver still, apart from my putting it's pretty bad. The ball striking of my irons is terrible and my driver is hit and miss.

I played this morning had 19 points with 6 holes scratched. I 5 lessons and i feel i need to go back for more but i also feel somewhat embarrassed at getting more lessons of the same pro, he told me from grip, stance address is perfect. I really struggle mentally with my setup which i know sounds strange from what i just said but i can't feel the weight on my front etc.

I've watched a few videos on you tube for some tips but it's so grrrrr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I'm a hero on the range but terrible on the course and it continues. I like some find Golf so frustrating at times but it only takes me one good hole or shot to remind myself why i am out here playing. I am struggling with my irons and driver still, apart from my putting it's pretty bad. The ball striking of my irons is terrible and my driver is hit and miss.

I played this morning had 19 points with 6 holes scratched. I 5 lessons and i feel i need to go back for more but i also feel somewhat embarrassed at getting more lessons of the same pro, he told me from grip, stance address is perfect. I really struggle mentally with my setup which i know sounds strange from what i just said but i can't feel the weight on my front etc.

I've watched a few videos on you tube for some tips but it's so grrrrr.

Great username!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 arkslippy123

Just back to playing after a few years away, I was a bad 18 handicapper.

So decided a little while back to start again and I've been working on 3 simple things,

1. Shortgame - shortened my wedge swing a bit and committing more, compressing the ball better and accelerating. Hitting wedges way better and chipping practice once or twice a week, putting, just concentrating on alignment and hitting the ball sweetly.

2. Better avoiding big numbers, if I'm in the heavy rough and far from the green, hit a 7iron into the fairway short of the green, and apply point 1.

3. Grip pressure, I've never had a specific problem, but I'm picking up clubs as I walk through the house and just practicing holding the club very lightly. At the range im finding it helps release the club far better and I'm getting into a better position half way back, shorter swing and launching the ball much better.

Only played 9 holes so far, shot 41 to par 36.

Just keeping it simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Last few rounds being affected by some bad holes. Scratch Cup last Sunday and was +7 for two holes and missed out on third by 2 strokes.

Had my best ever round going week before that and finished last four holes in +6.

Going well again this week but finished with 1 pt for last 2.

Think it is a focus issue but defo something I need to work on as it is quite frustrating. Still happy enough with how I am playing though so onwards and downwards

So after a few weeks break for a family holiday I've been back a few weeks now. Game not quite where it was before the break but feeling ok.

Managed a 3rd place in the monthly medal last week despite a horror show on 12. Shooting in or around buffer mostly.

Today the driver wasn't working great but turned it around towards the end which is handy as I have semi of the club singles matchplay on Wed against a guy off 6. Excellent golfer who is steady as a rock so I'll need all 6 shots and to play a lot better than today.

Still hoping for a small cut to get me down to 11 before qualifying ends but time is running out. Still reckon I can do it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 pikebishop

Join a club for the first time this year after playing (badly) in societies for a couple of years previously. I've only play in competitions and struggled at first of the blue tees specially playing to get my three cards hence i was given a 28 handicap.. such a roller-coaster over the last couple of months and i think every part of how i play this game has changed dramatically which at times caused me to have some horrendous rounds. But over the the last couple of weeks it has started to get better, i feel less wound up and getting some consistency into my game.. got the nod from the missus to play in the Saturday & Sunday comp over the weekend and scored 37 & 39(winning my class) respectively with lots of points left on the course - at last a cut of 1.6 - hopefully a sign of more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

This weekend felt like the culmination of a few weeks hard work. 78, 76, 78 across three days Fri-Sun.

I've settled now with my grip (superstroke) on my putter and it feels devastating. I'm lagging long putts to tap ins, and making a lot of putts which is boosting confidence. Still missing a fair few birdie chances, but they are more due to distance left by my wedgeplay.

I tweaked the weights in my driver and getting instant results. I'm getting a much higher flight and pulling abck on the draw, getting more carry and accuracy. If I keep the ball long and in fairways, I score well.

Irons have come on leaps and bounds. Ball striking is up along with accuracy.

My wedgeplay and chipping still feels weak, so have booked in a lesson while confidence is high to see if I can sort it out. If I can get my scoring irons and chipping going to improve my up and down percentage, I'll be on the right track to a lower handicap.

Good, positive weekend overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

So i had one of best lessons last night and i can't wait to get out onto the course.

I'd be struggling with my driving of late, i noticed that i had started to lose some distance and my bad shot was a push fade/slice. So i got onto my pro to see if we work on a few things.

Being a typical golfer i was blaming everything but myself and brought 3 drivers to the lesson to see if i could hone in on something. Of course, as we all know, i was the problem and not the driver :eek:

After hitting a few balls it was noticeable that i was hitting down on the ball too much, a result of having my weight too much on my left side and the bottom of my swing arc was somewhere after my left foot. So the pro had me working on trying to keep all my weight on my right side and try to hit a few balls. That worked pretty well and straightened out my shots but i definitely felt like there was more in the tank.

So next thing the pro starts telling me how to build up lag to generate power. So a nice smooth back swing and a gentle start to the downswing is started by hip bump to my left. What this achieves is freeing up space on the inside and i can really let go once my hands are at shoulder height on my downswing.

The result was a ball that launched with a very nice draw and was still pretty high in the sky when it sailed over my previous efforts. I reckon i probably gained a good 30m, but its hard to tell until i get out onto the course.

Can't wait to play this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Wahay

After having a lesson midweek on my shortgame, I was all geared up for my game yesterday. And I caught a dose of the shanks.

My first two irons of the day didn't shank, but just straight right.

Driving was flawless, putting was strong and my shortgame was a dramatic improvement after the lesson. But my irons, the reliables, all over the kip.

I hit a spell in the middle of the front nine were normality resumed. Finsihed the front 9 +3 which I was happy with.

10th fairway, par 4 hit a monster drive and had 70yrds to go. Straight out of the hozel, shank into the trees. I had a chipin for double bogey, missed and scooped up. Shanked my iron on the 11th, scratch and then from about 100 yards shanked another approach shot.

Just walked over and picked my ball up, shook the lads hands after they putted out and left.

It is such an anomoly that I get the shanks, hasn't happened for years, but when it does happen I just leave. I'm not battling through the day dealing with that random ****e and getting frustrated thinking there is something wrong, just one of those days.

Also didn't help when I was leaving I copped it was strokes, not stableford, and I'd dq'd myself anyway.

These sleepless nights with ne baba are killing me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭BOB81

Finally some progress... had another lesson with pro last sat and was hitting the purest iron shots ive ever hit. 3rd lesson this year and he wasn't telling me anything i didnt know but he finally managed to get through to me what i need to do when im practicing. Then headed out to play the monthly medal on sun with no expectations just an aim in my head to try and recreate 4/5 of those pure strikes from the lesson. Started with a quadruple bogey....and had another high score on 6th (11😮) but came back in 4 over with a birdie on the last (v rare for me in moyvalley). Thanks to clause 19 adjustment snuck in .6 of a cut to get back down to 14 and recover the 6 0.1s i had gotten on the spin the last few months. Lesson learned re practice regime and attitude on the course as i wouldn't have come back from those 2 high scores in the past..would've been head down and 'sure im just out for the walk now.'

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

For me - same sh1t, different day!!!

Saturday was an eye opener for me - worst score in a long time and I was really annoyed but the more I thought about it, it's my own fault. My biggest weakness is off the tee and it's probably what I practice least - hitting too many bad drives in a row on the practice range results in me getting annoyed and I usually end up picking up an iron.

Had a chat with pro on Sunday and he said something that dawned on, "In all probability your error will be you rolling the club away with your hands, not turning properly with your torso". I'd been working on maintaining the width in my swing that my arms were doing their own thing and the body followed. Last night I spent 2 hours with just the driver and started to see some good solid shots. Long way to go but next few weeks will be all driver work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Have hit a really solid patch the last 2 months, mainly down to 1thing.

I used to cup my right wrist(leftie here) at the top of the backswing, which in turn ended up in a very poor strike or if struck well, a lofted flight.

Worked a lot on it at the range earlier in the year (even taped a ruler to my wrist). Felt really awkward at first but ballstriking was noticeably better. Very sporadic at first but seem to have eradicated a lot of bad shots, especially on mid and long irons.

This winter it's work on my woods and hybrids, they're shockingly inconsistent at the minute for reasons I don't know, only value I get out of my 3 hybrid is a low chasers out of the rough, where last year it was my go to club.

It's worse than redecorating a house this business! Never-ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Happy enough with the way things are going these days.

Had an issue with Howdidido and just sorted it last night. So my first time seeing my stats since I rejoined in June.

I had a fair idea of where my strenghts and weaknesses lay, just not to the extremes that the stats are telling me (or what I am reading into them).

PAR 3's - Scoring Average 3.6 - Notional HC 10.8 (18*0.6)
    Big improvement in my par 3's this year. Average was 4.1 last year. I putt this mainly down to my improved putting.

PAR 5's - Scoring Average 5.3 - Notional HC 5.4!!!!! (18*0.3)
    I'm eating them up :) They are really the easiest part of the course imo and 2 of them are reachable with a drive/low iron or hybrid/hybrid for me.
    Improvement is from a combination of a lot of lessons learnt from mistakes made last year and a lot of work on my low irons.
    If in heavy rough of the tee, I'm now confident that an 8i will get me into a good position for a par.
    If get a good drive away then it's all out attack ;)
    I'm actually -3 for the index 16 18th this year.

The bad news:
    Par 4's - Scoring average 5.1 - Notional HC 19.8
    Shocking. Was just as surprised by that as I was the Par 5 stats.... But in a bad way.
    Wasn't really sure what is the reason behind that. I've been using my hybrid off the tee quite a lot, safe and fairly long. Maybe not enough. The par 4's are quite long in our place and it can take two good hits to reach them or (more commonly) there abouts. So I think my main stumbling block is my chipping, I've know this was a weak point but didn't realise it was that weak.
    Have been focusing on improving other areas a lot but need to get out of the bogey golf comfort zone of "a chip and 2 putts for net par" that I was happy to do last year with having a shot on every hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Monthly medal on Sunday past off 16 in hollystown, played as well as i have in quite some time. Everything was behaving well and went round in 82 for a nett 66 with two ugly triples in there.

On the first i had a straight forward chip for a par which i somehow managed to take a double hit which my partners missed..called it on myself which led to a triple (missed the next putt) and of course the winning score was 65 :)

Just tried to put it behind me and the next 16 holes were steady and being a medal i kept it conservative and the ball was in play with at worst a par attempt on every green and holed a nice putt for a two on the tricky 10th.

Cut yesterday morning to 14.5 and have to feel i could have put a real low nett score in apart from two bad holes but what can you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Meh..

Need to play more. Irons are good, driver not so much. Still haven't got around to the lesson

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

OTT

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ80JtiGdQV-GB0B4rwcE-wsUFMuDS320TgW2JRp66kMGEj-wa1sA

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Game is in a really good place. New setup is feeling more comfortable. Misses are narrow down. Need a little work off the tee as I'm still closing my body to the target. Short game is ok but still very hit or miss. Can chip some dead or leave them 2 foot in front of me.
    With the new setup I seem to have less going on in the head, good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Game is best its been since starting to play 6 years ago. Driving is such a key and for the last few months but in particular the last 6-8 weeks its been long and fairly straight. Irons have come on hugely since I realised my tendency to thin some shots was to do with choking my grip a bit ... lightened it up slightly and am coming through the ball a lot better. That combined with staying over the ball have made a big difference. Wedge game always pretty good but feel its improved around the green. Changed to large grip on putter and have made my putting stroke more consistent so feeling big improvements there. Down to 5.2 and feel I can play to it. Now that I've written this I'm sure I will play like a turd this evening!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

I have been playing good and really starting to improve for the first time in years! then about a week ago out of no where I start getting the shanks with my wedges!!! So got a lesson with my pro. He told me my arms have to be closer to my body especially my left arm and I'm not hinging my wrists.
    So worked on this, grand no problem, played friday in a scramble played really well than played sun on my home course shot 37 with no scratches, then go to the range last night and bam!!! start shanking my wedges again!! practised what my pro told me and nothing... got home really pissed off and thinking of quitting golf for good! then looked up a few videos on you tube and they stated i could be holding the club to tight, and you should be able to feel the club-head on the way back and through..

So hopefully this is the problem else im done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Played Rathcore today and played really well if unlucky at times.

Drove the ball very well, irons were back on form like they were after the lessons a few weeks ago. Putting was good but got the pace wrong on a few holes and the pole forking gave me the odd bad bounce.

First time walking off the course happy in a few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

TheDoc wrote: »
    Just walked over and picked my ball up, shook the lads hands after they putted out and left.

Do you abandon your playing partners often when thing aren't going your way?
    Seems like a really sh1tty thing to do tbh.

Advertisement