Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

GreeBo wrote: »
    Do you abandon your playing partners often when thing aren't going your way?
    Seems like a really sh1tty thing to do tbh.

No point in suffering through the shanks. If I was playing with TheDoc I would totally understand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

I agree as I feel it can put your playing partners off their game as there waiting or looking for your ball on ever hole!

Have you been out since Doc? Have you overcome them? PM me is needs be dont want to go off topic..

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

GreeBo wrote: »
    Do you abandon your playing partners often when thing aren't going your way?
    Seems like a really sh1tty thing to do tbh.

Really no need for that Greebo - Poor form

TheDoc is a good and honest contributor to the forum and didnt deserve that.

As per other posters if a guy was having a really bad day like that I would understand his decision fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Domo1982 wrote: »
    Really no need for that Greebo - Poor form

TheDoc is a good and honest contributor to the forum and didnt deserve that.

As per other posters if a guy was having a really bad day like that I would understand his decision fully.

Was playing a medal a few weeks back and the lad with us was having an absolute nightmare and asked did we mind him walking off.. no problem with it if they are genuine and there was no fun watching the lad get more frustrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Rather inexplicably, I feel like my game is coming back. In the last 6 rounds have had 6 - 9 holes in the 36/37/38/39 range.

Haven't managed to put 18 together , but when I'm playing well it is as good as I have played all year.

Only thing I did different was get to range more - concentrate on staying connected more.

I'm hitting an awful lot of greens - today 6 out of 9. The putts are putts for birdie and getting them in hole , towards hole or lipping - a welcome time.

Short game still my weak part - but little signs of improvements.

Anything from a 5 iron to a 9 - I feel very very strong with these.

Anyway - unexpected late burst of form - would like to hit a full great round before season over. Sadly late in the season. But - a welcome change after 2 to 3 months of very poor stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

After having trouble with losing shots to the right (particularily with driver, a destructive sort of block fade to the right that was killing me) I went for a lesson to try sort things out. Much improved I must say, main thing was to focus on letting the club do the work more and let it swing through without much interference from the body as before I was sort of getting ahead of it with the body and hitting that sort of push/block to the right.

So when Im getting it right I am hitting a nice little draw and getting increased distance but I'm still struggling a little for a bit of consistency in the strike sometimes which I suppose is to be expected with a swing change. And then sometimes I'm getting it wrong and still losing them right but again probably to be expected. Overall I'm hoping a few more range sessions will fully ingrain the new move

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

alxmorgan wrote: »
    So after a few weeks break for a family holiday I've been back a few weeks now. Game not quite where it was before the break but feeling ok.

Managed a 3rd place in the monthly medal last week despite a horror show on 12. Shooting in or around buffer mostly.

Today the driver wasn't working great but turned it around towards the end which is handy as I have semi of the club singles matchplay on Wed against a guy off 6. Excellent golfer who is steady as a rock so I'll need all 6 shots and to play a lot better than today.

Still hoping for a small cut to get me down to 11 before qualifying ends but time is running out. Still reckon I can do it. :D

So I won the matchplay semi. Nearly threw it away going from 1 up through 9 to 2 down through 12. Was 2 down with 4 to go but managed a par (with a shot) followed by 2 birdies to win 1up on 18. Really pleased I managed to show real mental toughness to pull it out.

Unfortunately I had a mare in the final to lose 4&3. Won the first but then lost the next 4 to go 3 down playing awful golf. Managed to somehow get back to AS through the turn only to lose 10, 11 and 12 when favourite to win them all. Did well to take it as far as I did. Worst game all year which was a pity but I guess that's golf.

Shot 41 pts in a casual round in Shannon yesterday to show I still got game...if a few weeks too late :rolleyes: :D

Been told I may get cut a shot for making the final so that'll be down to 11 if true but I am running out of comps to get cut a shot without that help. Feel good about my game but trying not to think about winter !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

After two weeks of probably my best golf this year I went to playing my worst lol

Early last week I played Rathcore twice. Irons were fantastic the first day and driving was average, second day the driver was the best I've ever hit and the irons were average.

This week I've lost all confidence over the ball after 3 bad rounds. Spent 2 hours today on the range, first hour was merely average and the second was full of shanks.

Called into the pro to move the lesson a little closer ( Monday) and he had a look and said compared to normal I have my hands too close to my body, hip was open while feet and shoulders are square and I was hinging too early. Tried doing what he was saying and can hit 4/10 shots well so its something. Hoping the lesson will give a drill I can follow, really frustrated at this stage even though I know it will pass eventually. For weeks I had only 1 swing thought, now I'm back to a few

Or to sum up
    06-16-13-stricker-shank.gif?w=486&h=272

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    After two weeks of probably my best golf this year I went to playing my worst lol

Early last week I played Rathcore twice. Irons were fantastic the first day and driving was average, second day the driver was the best I've ever hit and the irons were average.

This week I've lost all confidence over the ball after 3 bad rounds. Spent 2 hours today on the range, first hour was merely average and the second was full of shanks.

Called into the pro to move the lesson a little closer ( Monday) and he had a look and said compared to normal I have my hands too close to my body, hip was open while feet and shoulders are square and I was hinging too early. Tried doing what he was saying and can hit 4/10 shots well so its something. Hoping the lesson will give a drill I can follow, really frustrated at this stage even though I know it will pass eventually. For weeks I had only 1 swing thought, now I'm back to a few

Or to sum up

Sounds like you're playing too much tbh. (If there's such a thing ;) )

Winter season on the way and a well deserved rest after a good season is needed i reckon.

After a good season myself im also looking forward to a bit of a winter break myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

dan_ep82 wrote: »

Called into the pro to move the lesson a little closer ( Monday) and he had a look and said compared to normal I have my hands too close to my body, hip was open while feet and shoulders are square and I was hinging too early. Tried doing what he was saying and can hit 4/10 shots well so its something. Hoping the lesson will give a drill I can follow, really frustrated at this stage even though I know it will pass eventually. For weeks I had only 1 swing thought, now I'm back to a few Or to sum up

I'm in the exact same boat mate was playing great then out of know where the shanks with my 52 deg got a lesson he told me I wasn't hinging my hands etc, then grand for a few days and bam back again even though I wrote my lesson down and what to work on etc, but I can't stop shanking my wedges in the range hit 2 large buckets this week and shanked every single one even when i was trying to figure out what I was doing wrong! felt like crying last nite FFs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

benny79 wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same boat mate was playing great then out of know where the shanks with my 52 deg got a lesson he told me I wasn't hinging my hands etc, then grand for a few days and bam back again even though I wrote my lesson down and what to work on etc, but I can't stop shanking my wedges in the range hit 2 large buckets this week and shanked every single one even when i was trying to figure out what I was doing wrong! felt like crying last nite FFs

They're an awful curse, I'm never far from hitting them. Went through a terrible spell of them earlier this year but eventually got it sorted and for the past month or so had been playing good solid golf. The good solid spell ended last week with some dreadful iron shots - heavy and thin and no distance. Playing in the final medal on Sun my iron shots were again very weak but I was recovering well to keep me in the game at +2 playing the 9th. Played a nice approach shot from an awkward lie to within 40 yards of the par 5 green and I was thinking I had a nice chance of getting an up and down for the first birdie of the day. Result - shanked my pitch shot into a bunker and then 3 putted from 5 feet to walk away with a 7. More of the same rubbish on the back 9.

Went to the range last night and hit 100 balls working on drills from my previous lesson to help with striking the irons and getting some distance and confidence back. Brutal game.

benny79 wrote: »

Its a horrible feeling alright. Pretty sure I haven't played golf in two rounds,im sure it looked something very like though. Must record a good swing when "it" comes back to me, all I have are bad swing to compare to lol

Winter break? I started in the winter, played in wind chill factor of 0º and gale force winds, the amount of plausable excuses I can use during winter for bad golf are just too good to miss :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Divots, divots, divots! It's become an obsession at this stage :o

The ball goes where I want a lot of the time but the divots tell their own story :(

Had the lesson and got some drills to work on, a this stage its more mental than not. Practice swing is grand, put a ball in front of me and its not so good. Guess I'll focus on my putting then haha

So I won the matchplay semi. Nearly threw it away going from 1 up through 9 to 2 down through 12. Was 2 down with 4 to go but managed a par (with a shot) followed by 2 birdies to win 1up on 18. Really pleased I managed to show real mental toughness to pull it out.

Unfortunately I had a mare in the final to lose 4&3. Won the first but then lost the next 4 to go 3 down playing awful golf. Managed to somehow get back to AS through the turn only to lose 10, 11 and 12 when favourite to win them all. Did well to take it as far as I did. Worst game all year which was a pity but I guess that's golf.

Shot 41 pts in a casual round in Shannon yesterday to show I still got game...if a few weeks too late :rolleyes: :D

Been told I may get cut a shot for making the final so that'll be down to 11 if true but I am running out of comps to get cut a shot without that help. Feel good about my game but trying not to think about winter !!!

So last 5 rounds.....41, 40, 34, 38, 44.

Can you guess which was the qualifying score ? Johnny, tell him what's he won...that's right folks the 34 :rolleyes:

Flying along and then 1 point from 4 holes on that day. I'm trying to convince myself it was an anomaly rather than mental frailty with card in hand but I guess only time will tell.

Obviously happy with how I'm playing but we have placing in cut rough so huge difference there. Not fooling myself into thinking if it was summer tomorrow the scores would translate. Still nice to feel like I can play some golf :D

Not bad at the minute, much much better than it has been in the last few weeks.

Splitting my time between the range and rounds. Trying to at least get two games,1 practice session on the range and a half hour here and there on the greens.

Shot 89 in a casual (40pts) yesterday with 6 putts that ran around the edge of the hole and one ball OOB off the tee. Some other silly mistakes but happy enough about it.

I brought out the brothers 710 CB's to see how I liked them as mine are getting battered looking and I was thinking of just upgrading to the 712 AP2's. Founds the CB's nice but maybe just not as suited to me even though I scored well with them and had some cracking shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Watched a few videos about shortening the back swing and leading with the lower body when starting the down swing and then headed to the range to hit a few.

Very frustrating, got to remember feel isn't real, you think you're doing it but you're not.

Was getting a few to go where I wanted but the dreaded ott was always just one swing away. Then the head of my 4 iron went flying down the range :(

The guy in the range had the people my side stop hitting, while I went down for it but got covered in mud, just avoided a severe hook from someone still hitting and couldn't find it.

At least it was the 4 iron though as I was considering taking it out of the back and carrying an extra wedge.

Still bit of a frightening thing to happen, thankfully it went straight down the range. It leaves a question in the back of your mind when taking a swing though, which is the last thing a golfer needs; another doubt in the back swing! :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

My putting has gone to pot. I can't complain though as all my work is on fixing my OTT. I'm starting to see the the improvement but it's just tough to take the 3 putts on the course!

Decent, went 7 over for 9 on Headfort New

Just having a problem with blocking my irons slightly

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

I went back to play soccer again this season so have not been playing as much Golf as I'd like . I'm still making sure I get up the range once a week but have only played 2 rounds in 6 weeks .
    But the strange thing is I'm playing quite well .

7 or 8 weeks ago I was playing with the Golf society I'm a member of and a playing partner said to me I had a tendency to lift my upper body up trough my downswing . This guy plays off 3 so he has an idea of what he is looking at , He only commented on this after my round so I wouldn't try changing things on course . I actually played quite well that day but he said it's something I should work on .

So a swing taught he gave me was to keep my eyes on the ball till the club strikes trough it . It's sounds so simple but it's made a huge difference . You might say sure where else would you be looking . But it's only since iv started to do this iv realized my head was up and gone before I struck the ball .

As I said a simple swing taught but has made a huge difference in ball striking .

Chipping is very hit and miss but just don't get the time to practice it

• Advertisement

"How's your game"

It's feckin class! :D

Rikand wrote: »
    "How's your game"

It's feckin class! :D

Great scoring.

You putting much work in rick - or did it just come good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

Like a lot of other here, its time to put in the hard yards over the winter. I started with a new pro 3 weeks ago and he brought me back to the basics. Working on a few different drills, 5 hip turn, 5 hip and shoulder turn, 5 3/4 practice swing with 3 second pause at the top, followed hitting 5 balls with the 3 second pause at the top.

Its more of an exercise in perseverance as it can be quite tough to be at the range and hitting 5 balls before starting the whole routine again. But i've seen a dramatic improvement in my swing with limited practice.

He also had me working on my alignment mainly for driving, but of course it has a knock on effect. I had a tendency to aim way right and then have a closed stance, so by addressing those i'm actually starting to hit fairways and my big push left (slice) isn't as bad anymore.

I had my second lesson yesterday and we worked on the short game. One thing i've noticed from playing better after my first lesson was that if i hit the green in regulation i was coming away with a par more often than not. But if i missed the green, it was a pure lottery as to what i'd score. Having looked at my swing, it was pretty easy to see the problem, i sort of stand up at impact, or if you can imagine trying to start a petrol chainsaw. My left hand was jerking up at impact, giving a kind of scooping action. The frustrating thing for me is, my practice swings are very good, but when i go to hit the ball, yip.

So again we have a number of different drills to work on to try and iron out my chipping yips. Left hand only chip, 3 practice swings, 1 ball, do that 3 times. Right hand only chip, as before. 2 handed chip, swing with the 3 second pause at the top of the back swing. 3 normal chips.

By the end of the lesson i was actually hitting some very solid chips, but this will undoubtedly be a long and arduous process.

Onwards and upwards.

The frustrating thing for me is, my practice swings are very good, but when i go to hit the ball, yip.

Snap. This is all down to our damn brains and muscles remembering the bad stuff. No ball, swing is class. Put ball down, ah I usually throw my right shoulder so I'll do that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭cgh

Golf.....

the most frustrating game going....

play like a god one day, like a donkey the next.

Stricking some great balls, but having to many heavy shots costing me,

it doesnt help when you play of 12, mistakes are costly now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

cgh wrote: »
    Golf.....

the most frustrating game going....

play like a god one day, like a donkey the next.

Stricking some great balls, but having to many heavy shots costing me,

it doesnt help when you play of 12, mistakes are costly now

Heavy hits shouldn't be the most difficult one in the world to correct though. I'd imagine most pros would be able to sort that out in one lesson if there isn't any underlying issues.
    I reckon most people hit the ball heavy because they don't keep their posture through the swing, they tend to dip excessively into the ball (everyone dips a little but when its too much of a dip it becomes hard to time correctly)

I'm definitley not an expert and I haven't even seen your swing but I'd say if you focus on staying tall through the shot it should help those heavy hits!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

I play off 16 and played 9 holes yesterday here in Shropshire. I watched a few videos on putting lately and picked up a few tips which I worked on here in the house. The grip I have the two index fingers flat against either side pointing down the shaft, ball forward in the stance. The other tip was to think how you want to play the shot and then commit to it, the shorter putts are mostly blasted through the break. I putted like a dream yesterday and had 5 pars and four bogeys, no three putts, happy days!

Same as many - taking a break from course and using time away to work on the big stuff in swing.
    Most time away from golf course in a long time. Played 4 holes in 3 week and that is it - no golf this week either. 4 holes in a month - will be some sort of record.

Enjoying the time back at range (and away from the wet cold course) - have 1 of 5 lessons done. Golf was very inconsistent all summer and clearly there was something wrong. Yes it was great at times - but could go from near level par on one nine to 7/8 over on next - the short game was compounding this - but there was always a doubt of what golfer would turn up - a crazy hook or 150 yard slice. I ended up hitting a 5/6 iron off a tee as it would get me up there in play. A sort of golf - but :confused:

5 minutes with pro - and reason for it was clear - so much can go wrong in the first few seconds of the golf swing and it sets you on a path that is going to be hard to get out off.

On takeaway, I was coming inside very quickly - this was not helping me as I tend to cast or be over the top. I also could get very steep - particularly on the shorter irons.

After one lesson - and a few range sessions - got the ball starting on the right and have been striking it well - trying also to reduce tempo on way back - I'm not sure I'll be able to reduce tempo on all of swing but trying - I've a very fast / too fast a tempo.

Plenty more work to go - on transition next- a good laugh with pro. as I'm a bit different :p - no, but I'm willing to work on it between lessons.

Beginning to understand more about the golf swing - I really was clueless just 18 months ago - swing was just an aggressive trash , still a bit of a trash , but trying to improve overall path and plane. And be a bit more controlled.

So a wide - slower back swing - with an attempt to keep left arm more solid/straight.

Next phase is to try drop into the slot - this is always going to be the hardest thing for me to get right - I'm in some sort of rush to hit ball - and years of this rush has almost ingrained everything about my timing.

So going to put big work in - but finish that up end of February - then I'm going to find myself a short game pro for a month of the real important stuff.

Then the drive to 5 starts. :) - 5 doesn't seem far from where I am - but I know, it is miles from where I was.

Great scoring.

You putting much work in rick - or did it just come good ?

Before this weekend, I had played 2 rounds of golf in the previous 6 weeks. No physical practice.

However, I have done nothing but swing (without a club) in front of the back glass door looking at my reflection and watching my movement, posture and transfer of weight.

Through doing this alone, I seem to have added quite a bit distance to my short irons which actually hindered me at the weekend as I overshot a couple of greens, but overall it has really improved my ball striking :)

• Advertisement

So last 5 rounds.....41, 40, 34, 38, 44.

Can you guess which was the qualifying score ? Johnny, tell him what's he won...that's right folks the 34 :rolleyes:

Flying along and then 1 point from 4 holes on that day. I'm trying to convince myself it was an anomaly rather than mental frailty with card in hand but I guess only time will tell.

Obviously happy with how I'm playing but we have placing in cut rough so huge difference there. Not fooling myself into thinking if it was summer tomorrow the scores would translate. Still nice to feel like I can play some golf :D

Good form continues. I am playing by far the best golf I have ever done over an extended period by a mile. Have had the same golf ball for 49 holes !!! :eek: :D

Of course all of this is tinged with a mixture of regret, at it not being summer, and skepticism, due to shorter courses and placing.

I'm just hoping it continues till qualifying comes back so I can have a tilt at single figures. :D

Advertisement