Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Good form continues. I am playing by far the best golf I have ever done over an extended period by a mile. Have had the same golf ball for 49 holes !!! :eek: :D

Of course all of this is tinged with a mixture of regret, at it not being summer, and skepticism, due to shorter courses and placing.

I'm just hoping it continues till qualifying comes back so I can have a tilt at single figures. :D

Jeez with those kinda numbers you are in :D "bandit" :D territory

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

mafc wrote: »
    Jeez with those kinda numbers you are in :D "bandit" :D territory

:D

Fraid not. I had 41 a few weeks back and the top 3 were 46, 46, 45.
    I'd need to be sitting on a few shots and playing well to be within an asses roar.

Would be interested to know how much the conditions help people and how much is the dusting down of the sombreros for the non cutting winter comps :P

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

I'd need to be sitting on a few shots and playing well to be within an asses roar.

Would be interested to know how much the conditions help people and how much is the dusting down of the sombreros for the non cutting winter comps :P

Bit of both I'd say... suppose the minute you can put your hand on the ball liberties are taken especially in the rough.
    The sombrero wearers just change to their winter balaclava's.😜

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

joke - 46 - 46 - 45 :eek: - Looks like they have 5 shots in bag :p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

There are a number of factors really though as to why all those people are scoring so well.

Winter conditions, placing EVERYWHERE, forward tees. Can stand up and rip it and sure what harm if you miss the fairway, you can tee it up in the rough and rip it again!

We had a 15 hole hamper competition at the weekend. The guy who won it had 40 points for the 15 holes, which included going 27 points for the front 9. 2 under gross, playing off 14! Shortened course, stand up and RIP IT!

I break par on a regular basis in the winter time. I've only ever done it twice in the summer time around Athlone. But if I dont do it at least 5 times this winter for 15 holes, I'll be disappointed. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

Absolutely ^^^

Placing everywhere makes a massive, massive difference in the winter. Factor that in with shortened course, softer and slower greens, softer (and effectively wider) fairways etc and its so different that you can't really compare normal handicaps with winter golf.

We've had 35pts winning over 14 holes, that would nearly always figure over 18 in the summer !

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭xmasking

I was thinking of getting into the game. What is the best clubs to get for a starter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

xmasking wrote: »
    I was thinking of getting into the game. What is the best clubs to get for a starter?
    Heres a general overview - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92240574

Have a look on adverts for a full set, 100'ish is what your looking to spend on something to see if you like the sport without costing you a lot in the long run if it isn't for you. If it is you can always upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Still in the depths of my winter break at the moment, not going to touch a club for at least two more weeks and even then it'll be weather dependent. Really missing it at the moment but that's what I wanted, to be absolutley itching to go again in the new year. Hoping to play 2 or 3 casual rounds over Christmas and then get maybe 2 lessons in January and hopefully have everything in perfect order for the qualifying season in March. It all sounds so good in theory

Was back on the course the other day - jaysus I/you do get cobwebs in this game very quick. It was a bit like this :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Was back on the course the other day - jaysus I/you do get cobwebs in this game very quick. It was a bit like this :P

Hit a couple of those myself today. Glad the rest of my game was in good check. Birdied the first 3 holes, lol, had 2 more birdies in the round, but just not consistent enough around the greens.

Played a match play against the brother today with new (to me) irons, course was empty and in great condition with the weather being super for the time of the year.

Very shaky front 9 and a lot of luck on my side left him 2 up at the turn even though he was playing fantastic. Started actually playing golf from 10 on making 6 pars and only halving one hole to win 5 up lol

Irons came good in the end but the driver and hybrids were playable at best. Putting is still solid thank god

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Played with another boardsie today and probably the best golf I have ever played. On the front 9 I had a silly scratch on the first but then went on a par run! Ignoring the first hole I was +3 through 8. On the back 9 I think I had another 4 or 5 pars. Long time until the season kicks off though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Decided to end the winter break and went to the range on Friday and then played 9 holes yesterday. +1 for the 9 which I'm pleased with. Was hitting the ball solidly enough so happy enough overall. I've made the decision I'm not going to place the ball at all this winter unless it's unavoidable due to the mud on it. I'm doing this because I think teeing yourself up in perfect lies in the rough gets you into bad habits for when it's back to play it as it lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Started a few weeks back with an online swing coach and I'm very happy with results. I play off 9 but felt I needed to improve my iron striking/distance if I want to make a serious go and getting to 5.

All this positivity is really only from range sessions and videos sent back to the coach. Playing rounds will be the real test. Haven't played much last while but working my tail off at the range. I'm there so often now the staff are getting tattoos of my name on their arms.

I've always struggled with weight shift, hip turn and lag so to see these aspects becoming better is what makes the effort worthwhile. Plan is to keep working away on range with a few rounds thrown in until the counting starts up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

the lawman wrote: »
    Started a few weeks back with an online swing coach and I'm very happy with results. I play off 9 but felt I needed to improve my iron striking/distance if I want to make a serious go and getting to 5.

All this positivity is really only from range sessions and videos sent back to the coach. Playing rounds will be the real test. Haven't played much last while but working my tail off at the range. I'm there so often now the staff are getting tattoos of my name on their arms.

I've always struggled with weight shift, hip turn and lag so to see these aspects becoming better is what makes the effort worthwhile. Plan is to keep working away on range with a few rounds thrown in until the counting starts up again.

Be interested to know what you are working on for these areas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Worked firstly on getting club back in the right spot on BS. Then worked on a sequence drill which forces you to start the DS with a hip turn and weight shift. In between the two was a drill to prevent casting at start of DS.

Still work in progress of course but results are better than I could have hoped for a few weeks work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Had a lovely session at the range there. Best in weeks. Trying to stay nice and loose. Cross handed putting coming along nicely too. Can't see myself switching back. Feeling good about the game. Was off 20 this time last year. Off 13 now. Really feel I can get to single figures in 2015.

Now get your act together Mr. Sun and help a brother out.

This drill and vid has helped me no end. Nice and loose. Nice and loose. Fling it out there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

7 shots in a year, impressive going. What's the secret ;)

Went out on the Old Course today, winter Tee's and placing (although not much need most of the time) so I'm sure the score is a little off compared to summer plus it was a casual with a random guy.

9 over for 18 though :)

Irons were great today in general, still had some terrible shots, pushed a 5i 30yds off line pine high and had to lob over trees to get back on the green

Driver was .. ok I suppose, no real trouble if I wasn't getting the connection I was looking for.

Wedges were good and bad and putting could have been better, greens were running slow today.

Going through some minor swing changes so its positive

Had one double on the first but kept to 6 over until the 15th with a few pars and three birdies thrown in, this being one of them

F3l3rwp.jpg?1

• Advertisement

Great round dan - (must have been tracksuit) :)

No, is that one of your best around there.

Looks like a big few cuts coming in new season - Is your target a little below what it should be in 2015 ?
    Looks like 16 to 18 at least is on ?

Great round dan - (must have been tracksuit) :)

No, is that one of your best around there.

Looks like a big few cuts coming in new season - Is your target a little below what it should be in 2015 ?
    Looks like 16 to 18 at least is on ?

Haha, trousers , thermal top and a shirt today :P

Yeah, its my best round ever actually I think, was so sure I was going to get into the 70's until a bad iron on the 17th left me blocked out coupled with a bad read left me at 10 over, birdie'd the 18th to pull it back

It'd be great. I had rounds like this last year outside of competition aswell though :o

My biggest failing in comps is on the New Course par3's. Always seem to have a mis hit,bad contact, too much draw etc and usually come up about 10 yds short of the green into the water. Par5's are probably my best :)

I'm aiming for 18, its a cut of 3 shots so seems do able hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

dan_ep82 wrote: »

My biggest failing in comps is on the New Course par3's. Always seem to have a mis hit,bad contact, too much draw etc and usually come up about 10 yds short of the green into the water. Par5's are probably my best :)

I'm aiming for 18, its a cut of 3 shots so seems do able hopefully

Would just taking an extra club (or two) and accepting that on the off chance you hit it 100% you will be on the back of the green be an idea?

GreeBo wrote: »
    Would just taking an extra club (or two) and accepting that on the off chance you hit it 100% you will be on the back of the green be an idea?

Good point by Greebs - if not stating the obvious. But, sometimes it is simple stuff.

Record dan on the side of card club used and outcome - i guess you use golfshot ?

But if not, write 10 s - 5 s - 6 l ( short long)

you will get a trend over time and then - you will learn the club that even when bad is the club on that hole.

Don't forget temperatures at this time of year and air density - sounds a bit too much - but it is at least a club or 2 at 5 degrees.

Knowing you - I'd say you use the same ball at the time dan ?

I know you know all this but, no harm doing a check ?

You should be aiming for 15 or so ? you've a great short game.

GreeBo wrote: »

I do on occasions where I'm not feeling the shots but taking two extra clubs would mean a 4i which I wouldn't be as competent with ( sign s of progress though) and have a bigger chance of making a balls of it.

I honestly think its just a nerves thing. When on a tee box, especially when another group is near I get woeful afraid of taking a lump out of it, tee'd up or not so I tend to catch bottom usually. Hence why I always carry a divot bag if provided :D

I do on occasions where I'm not feeling the shots but taking two extra clubs would mean a 4i which I wouldn't be as competent with ( sign s of progress though) and have a bigger chance of making a balls of it.

I honestly think its just a nerves thing. When on a tee box, especially when another group is near I get woeful afraid of taking a lump out of it, tee'd up or not so I tend to catch bottom usually. Hence why I always carry a divot bag if provided :D

Have you done Rotella dan ?

We all get into bed with bob at some stage - speedos or not :D:P

By the way - swim wear would be handy to get ball.

Good point by Greebs - if not stating the obvious. But, sometimes it is simple stuff.

Record dan on the side of card club used and outcome - i guess you use golfshot ?

But if not, write 10 s - 5 s - 6 l ( short long)

you will get a trend over time and then - you will learn the club that even when bad is the club on that hole.

Don't forget temperatures at this time of year and air density - sounds a bit too much - but it is at least a club or 2 at 5 degrees.

Knowing you - I'd say you use the same ball at the time dan ?

I know you know all this but, no harm doing a check ?

You should be aiming for 15 or so ? you've a great short game.

Don't have golf shot but I'll give the short and long idea a go thanks.

I noticed in the last few weeks alright on the cold days. I've lost a good 10 yds on a well struck 7i which is more or less a club (165 back to 155) so the longer par3's have me with a club I'm not used to swinging on a tee box and coming up short on some greens. The picture above was 160 to the flag so I got a little roll with the 7i

grade b prov1 or prov1x seeing as I get them cheap

I'd love to get into the teens with a long term of knocking on the door of single figures but I'd be happy in the middle to be honest

Don't have golf shot but I'll give the short and long idea a go thanks.

I noticed in the last few weeks alright on the cold days. I've lost a good 10 yds on a well struck 7i which is more or less a club (165 back to 155) so the longer par3's have me with a club I'm not used to swinging on a tee box and coming up short on some greens. The picture above was 160 to the flag so I got a little roll with the 7i

grade b prov1 or prov1x seeing as I get them cheap

I'd love to get into the teens with a long term of knocking on the door of single figures but I'd be happy in the middle to be honest

That is great striking dan - you have a good swing speed.

I think you should reset your target on other thread.

Read Rotella - i've a few i can send to you - audio book too.

Best of luck.

That is great striking dan - you have a good swing speed.

I think you should reset your target on other thread.

Read Rotella - i've a few i can send to you - audio book too.

Best of luck.

Oh I swing at that speed when I ditch it aswell lol

If I make it I'll reset it, don't worry, I'd put the same amount of effort in even if I set it for 4 :D

I keep meaning to get some golf books, I read alot so it would come handy. Must see if Amazon has them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

In that case I'd get/use a rescue and choke down a little if its too long.
    To be honest you will rarely be too long though, we never are.
    And even on the odd occasion you are, all the trouble is at the front on 99% of par 3's because 99% of us come up short, 99% of the time.

Advertisement