Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

GreeBo wrote: »
    In that case I'd get/use a rescue and choke down a little if its too long.
    To be honest you will rarely be too long though, we never are.
    And even on the odd occasion you are, all the trouble is at the front on 99% of par 3's because 99% of us come up short, 99% of the time.

Even tapping my rescue it will go 20-40yds to long which on two of the par3's is water. Granted I could practice hitting it softer, its not like it can't be hit shorter but practice into the iron would be time better spent no?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Even tapping my rescue it will go 20-40yds to long which on two of the par3's is water. Granted I could practice hitting it softer, its not like it can't be hit shorter but practice into the iron would be time better spent no?

I find choking down a couple of inches much easier than faffing with 3/4 swings.
    Is your rescue really 40 yards longer than your 4I?
    Mine are within 15m on a calm day.

By all means work on the long irons, but it's always good to have a banker shot.

If your rescue goes that far long, is it all carry to the green or is there a layup option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I find choking down a couple of inches much easier than faffing with 3/4 swings.

By all means work on the long irons, but it's always good to have a banker shot.

If your rescue goes that far long, is it all carry to the green or is there a layup option?

If there's that much of a gap he should be looking to add another rescue that's about 4 degrees weaker. That's too much of a gap to have between clubs.

Also this is a par 3 we're on about isn't it? He's hardly going to lay up in fairness!

I'll give it a go,it would certainly be easier than changing the swing I think, thanks.

On the bad days off a par 3 tee box it can be yeah. I'm lucky to duff a 4i 150yds. Off a fairway on a good day in winter (never had a handle on it this summer) it will end up about 195.22° on a bad hit will be 180 but climbs and pushes more on a bad strike, the bad strike with a 4i tends to be just a low raker.

True. A few times over the last few weeks I've been hitting a high cut with the 19° taking 20-25yds off and I'm getting pretty accurate with it day depending.

1st par3 green is long water,right water,short water and left tree's that generally knock you back into the water.

2nd you can bail right, usually do on a bad day here.

3rd you can lay up.

4th is over the blackwater. so water short,trees left can block you out leaving you back in the water,right is water/trouble and long is trouble (scrub swampy land)

The old is a different story, you can lay up on all

If there's that much of a gap he should be looking to add another rescue that's about 4 degrees weaker. That's too much of a gap to have between clubs.

Also this is a par 3 we're on about isn't it? He's hardly going to lay up in fairness!

That's what I thought initially but if the problem is a dodgy 4i strike then I wouldn't worry.

I'd lay up all day if the other option was dumping it in the water.

• Advertisement

That's what I thought initially but if the problem is a dodgy 4i strike then I wouldn't worry.

I would too but unintentionally, generally I'd prefer to bail and hit at the biggest piece of grass like right on the 2nd par 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Got 40 points there yesterday, first time I've got over 36 since dropping to 18 handicap so pleased with that, hopefully I keep it up.

Over the last year I've started driving really well using my Taylormade R9, was thinking of maybe making a switch to something that might give me a bit more distance. Any recommendations for a driver similar to the R9 that might offer a bit more length?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Got 40 points there yesterday, first time I've got over 36 since dropping to 18 handicap so pleased with that, hopefully I keep it up.

Over the last year I've started driving really well using my Taylormade R9, was thinking of maybe making a switch to something that might give me a bit more distance. Any recommendations for a driver similar to the R9 that might offer a bit more length?

if you're hitting fairways with any kind of reasonable length at all then best to leave it alone. You'll drop more shots by working on your short game.

Being able to get your drive away consistently is far more important than length for scoring. If you doubt this play a round and give yourself an extra 30 yards in a straight line from the tee and see if you score any better.

Well I'm sure it's not as if it takes a 200 yard carry to clear the water or anything. Most likely somewhere it's a max of around 150-160 yards to clear the water. If you're not capable of carrying that then the ball striking needs serious work IMO. I don't think anyone should ever need to think of laying up on a par 3. To me that's just a recipe to make a bogey because you're depending on a pitch and a putt to save your par. That's not a situation you want to be leaving yourself if you can help it.

I think you should be going at it, if you hit it then happy days and even if you miss you probably just leave yourself a chip shot or a bunker shot which is much more preferable to the 20-30 yard pitch you leave yourself by laying up

First off, don't sell it, just keep it there as a back up, they don't go for much so trade in wouldn't be worth it.

I had an R9 and found it spun higher than any other driver I had tending to climb alot, still a good driver though. Still it might be worth checking lower spinning drivers like the SLDR etc but they might be too low of spin.

I was in your position last year, except I changed to a lower spin driver (x-hot pro) and was hitting it that well I traded it in and treated myself to a new driver and ended up with a 913 D2 in the end. I haven't managed to get as consistent with any other driver since except the xhot normal so I'm thinking of looking at the x2hot. I honestly think it was the worst thing to do, I should have looked for a lower spinning shaft instead.
    Well I'm sure it's not as if it takes a 200 yard carry to clear the water or anything. Most likely somewhere it's a max of around 150-160 yards to clear the water. If you're not capable of carrying that then the ball striking needs serious work IMO. I don't think anyone should ever need to think of laying up on a par 3. To me that's just a recipe to make a bogey because you're depending on a pitch and a putt to save your par. That's not a situation you want to be leaving yourself if you can help it.

I think you should be going at it, if you hit it then happy days and even if you miss you probably just leave yourself a chip shot or a bunker shot which is much more preferable to the 20-30 yard pitch you leave yourself by laying up

As I said, my strike can be brilliant on the hole before. I can stick a green from 180 out with a 6i in the summer only to hit a 5i 150yds on the next par3, then back to good strikes.

I'd love to spend more time practicing on those par3's but it gets frustrating losing ball after ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    First off, don't sell it, just keep it there as a back up, they don't go for much so trade in wouldn't be worth it.

I had an R9 and found it spun higher than any other driver I had tending to climb alot, still a good driver though. Still it might be worth checking lower spinning drivers like the SLDR etc but they might be too low of spin.

I was in your position last year, except I changed to a lower spin driver (x-hot pro) and was hitting it that well I traded it in and treated myself to a new driver and ended up with a 913 D2 in the end. I haven't managed to get as consistent with any other driver since except the xhot normal so I'm thinking of looking at the x2hot. I honestly think it was the worst thing to do, I should have looked for a lower spinning shaft instead.

I think I might just keep an eye on Adverts for an SLDR over the next couple of months, if one pops up I'll pounce, if not it's no biggy. I agree on the R9, I'm really getting behind the ball and hitting it well but it's going quite high, think it's costing me yards.

well the op has stated that their miss is regularily a score wrecking dunk in the water, so I dont think you can really advise to just keep going for it, it'll be grand.

even if the ball striking needs serious work, yuou cant just ignore than and keep sending balls swimming, ignoring stats is terrible course management,

I think I might just keep an eye on Adverts for an SLDR over the next couple of months, if one pops up I'll pounce, if not it's no biggy. I agree on the R9, I'm really getting behind the ball and hitting it well but it's going quite high, think it's costing me yards.

It's what I noticed with it aswell, every now and then I managed to hit it great and get the low spin I was looking for but more often that not it was higher spin which was game breaking in the wind. The xhot pro just masked the problem though, I'm sure I could have fixed it with lessons but I went ahead and patched it with the driver :pac:

Seriously though, have a look at the likes of the RIP ,RIP'D NV and other low spin shafts shafts, lower spin than the stock and mixed with the head should give better results (at a guess)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭slingerz

Have to work on hitting my new titleist driver really and get some consistency

Hadn't hit a club for about a month and could not hit te long irons at the range off mats at all.

Maybe it was the mats fault!

Thinking of getting a series of lessons to work on all parts of the game though anybody know what the pro in Killarney is like??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

This game has to be one of the hardest going.

I've only played one full round 2 weeks , that round was hilarious, duffs, shanks , worst game I have played in 3 years.

But with change, that is part of the pain, trying to totally reroute swing, so you are going to have that. Trying to reduce tempo and try drop to a good position to hit ball versus OTT.

So was in a 12 hole team event today , in a 3 club head wind for most of it - and played as well as I have in a year - mad game , hit 9 GIRs , no placing and tiny bit off full course. Lipped out 3 times for birdie and was as close to par golf that I can get to at this time. (2 over for the 12)

So very happy - pro thinks I'm mad and never happy with my game , well I am mad and have been happy with my game - but giving this swing rerouteing a little more work - it is only keeping me in shape at what I am doing, not going to change much more.

Then end of February - going to give the short game and putting the most honest effort ever, for a 6 weeks period - I mean at least, 10 hours a week, for 6 weeks.

I'm going to give this getting to 5 a real go.

Played with a gent near 70 today , lovely golfer , played great - we won as a team . He was telling me about how he won an all Ireland shield 30 years ago and still one of his best days, that he will never forget. Fantastic competitor and he gave me great compliments.

I asked him what was his lowest handicap - 11 he told me, we had that conversation about him never getting to single figures. It is only golf and not that important , but you could sense his genuine regret.

So - I'll give this getting low one more go. I felt I was at my limits before, but then you have a day with great people at this game, when hope comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Have played 9 holes since November and went to the driving range two days ago. Hit everything absolutely perfectly - including hitting my driver straight for the first time in almost year and getting my 3 wood airborne for the first time ever.

No idea what I did, but I do know I'm totally screwed the next time I step onto a golf course.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

For different reasons, I haven't picked up or looked at my golf clubs since early October - but all that is going to change shortly!! Gonna give it a right go to get cut as much as possible this year and practice more than i have before. Gonna be fun at the range for the first few nights i reckon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

charlieIRL wrote: »
    For different reasons, I haven't picked up or looked at my golf clubs since early October - but all that is going to change shortly!! Gonna give it a right go to get cut as much as possible this year and practice more than i have before. Gonna be fun at the range for the first few nights i reckon!!

You'll probably hit the best shots you've ever hit the first few times at the range.

My game has been erratic but consistent, consistent scoring in the 12 hole comps, but consistently following scratches with 4 pointers, and 4 pointers with scratches. I got given my handicap after my 3 rounds which were amongst my first in about 8/9 months, and even then I'd only ever played 4 rounds previously. With getting out at least once a week over the Winter I'm hoping that as soon as it's qualifying to get cuts. I definitely feel I shouldn't be at 28 but deserved it the way my 3 cards went. But now I should be lower so I want to move in that direction

Played the winter comp in our club yesterday, managed to somehow be 5 over through 5 thanks to 3 3 putts when I couldn't get the pace of the greens but came in level par from there which was decent enough.

Struck the ball savagely but the poor putting early on and 1 or 2 mistakes let me down.

Still though, any day you strike the ball well is always a positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

charlieIRL wrote: »

Fancy joining me next Sunday morning? You still have 3 months of your membership left to use!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Barnaboy wrote: »
    Fancy joining me next Sunday morning? You still have 3 months of your membership left to use!

I do, i had planned on going over shortly as well as i thought membership was up now and wanted to pay it. I'll give ya a buzz during the week to organise it.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

Had my first ever eagle yesterday and what feeling! really started well hole 1 par4 had a 6, hole 2 par 4 had a par, hole 3 par 3 had a 4 then hole 4 par 5 eagle!!!!! hit a great drive, left me 175 to centre (roughly where pin was) so taught wind behind defo a 2 club wind hit a 8I to 6 feet stopped dead. about 2 foot of break right to left and bam straight in the cup!

sadly I got to excited and fell apart towards the end of my round with 4 1 pointers in a row and 2 scratches! plus it didn't help my playing partners calling me a bandit of 22 even though they were joking..

to me a eagle is better than a hole in 1 because you have to hit 3 great shots, where a hole in one is 1 and a lot of luck, but hopefully thats next :) buzzing all day thinking about it!

I know I have the game to get low just need consistently and cut out silly mistakes..

12 here I come.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

benny79 wrote: »
    Had my first ever eagle yesterday and what feeling! really started well hole 1 par4 had a 6, hole 2 par 4 had a par, hole 3 par 3 had a 4 then hole 4 par 5 eagle!!!!! hit a great drive, left me 175 to centre (roughly where pin was) so taught wind behind defo a 2 club wind hit a 8I to 6 feet stopped dead. about 2 foot of break right to left and bam straight in the cup!

sadly I got to excited and fell apart towards the end of my round with 4 1 pointers in a row and 2 scratches! plus it didn't help my playing partners calling me a bandit of 22 even though they were joking..

to me a eagle is better than a hole in 1 because you have to hit 3 great shots, where a hole in one is 1 and a lot of luck, but hopefully thats next :) buzzing all day thinking about it!

I know I have the game to get low just need consistently and cut out silly mistakes..

12 here I come.... :)

Lovely stuff benny. How is Eoin working out for you? I'm improving all the time with him. I'm stuck at one part right now but once I crack it I won't look back.

Very Good, he reckons my biggest problem is my alignment, and its the hardest thing to fix, so he wants to play 9 holes with me, but my iron play is much better taking divots getting check etc just struggling off the tee. lad i was playing with was watching my alignment a few wks ago, on last 5 holes and was telling me to move my foot back half an inch etc and I finished the last five on 1 under had 3 birdie putts and got 1, should of got all 3 but still I was delighted, so I know once I sort it I'll be flying! but so far so good.. only 2 lessons in. 1 video, on 1 in range.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Driver - 8 iron to a par 5 is what I'd be bragging about, lol :D - Anyone can make a putt! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

benny79 wrote: »
    Very Good, he reckons my biggest problem is my alignment, and its the hardest thing to fix, so he wants to play 9 holes with me, but my iron play is much better taking divots getting check etc just struggling off the tee. lad i was playing with was watching my alignment a few wks ago, on last 5 holes and was telling me to move my foot back half an inch etc and I finished the last five on 1 under had 3 birdie putts and got 1, should of got all 3 but still I was delighted, so I know once I sort it I'll be flying! but so far so good.. only 2 lessons in. 1 video, on 1 in range.

The winter is a brilliant time of the year for checking alignment.

When you place the ball, make sure to line-up the name of the ball towards where you want to go. Then as you address the ball, look at your feet to make sure they are parallel with the name of the ball :) I struggle with Alignment a lot myself and this is one thing that really helps me to keep it online. By the time the summer comes in, you'll be doing it instinctively

Drive for show, putt for Dough ;)

Good tip Rikand, cheers for that be definitely giving that a go!

Put a good bit of work into swing over last 2 months - 1 lesson to go. Can definitely see ball flight improved, I know my swing will never be perfect or near it, but slight improvements and good swing thoughts can help me. I still have a tendency to have a deep divot pointing very left.

But, stricking irons very well - need to almost aim on right channel of green / flag.

Lovely day today around Corballis - 8 over , but had 5 good birdie chances, made 2.
    Almost, 9/10 inches from hole in 1 on 9 - 5 iron , would have loved one there , slight wind pushed it off line. But was bang on line.

So I'm getting in good positions , but not converting or getting the scores the golf deserves. I guess the score is all that counts.

So 1st of feb - six weeks solid short game work - and sort putting as pulling left again.
    31 putts today - but poor from 4 to 8 feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Put a good bit of work into swing over last 2 months - 1 lesson to go. Can definitely see ball flight improved, I know my swing will never be perfect or near it, but slight improvements and good swing thoughts can help me. I still have a tendency to have a deep divot pointing very left.

But, stricking irons very well - need to almost aim on right channel of green / flag.

Lovely day today around Corballis - 8 over , but had 5 good birdie chances, made 2.
    Almost, 9/10 inches from hole in 1 on 9 - 5 iron , would have loved one there , slight wind pushed it off line. But was bang on line.

So I'm getting in good positions , but not converting or getting the scores the golf deserves. I guess the score is all that counts.

So 1st of feb - six weeks solid short game work - and sort putting as pulling left again.
    31 putts today - but poor from 4 to 8 feet.

Love your enthusiasm

• Advertisement

Thanks Pink, love your handicap :)

No, never fell out of love or anything, but after getting a massive boost from the work I've put in and can see me moving in right direction again.

First time I honestly feel another drop is on (to 5). But easier said.

Struggling off a single figure handicap (or any handicap) is not fun, the way I was last summer. I let it go on to long without going back to pro, lesson learned the hard way.

But, enthusiasm on the up again. :D

Advertisement