Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

On fire. Hitting loads of greens and fairways. Santa's present skypro has helped me understand where the big misses are coming from. Roll on the qualifying.

Bet the good form won't last till then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Not good working on a lesson but getting a bit lost in translation.
    Trying to get my hands a bit higher to get rid of a flat swing.
    But starting to fade tha ball so a bit lost, is my hands a bit high not enough body turn.
    Might go back to pro for a tweek

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

My short game is coming along nicely the last 3-4 weeks I must say since having 2 lessons focusing on all aspects of the game from 100yds in.

Played 10 holes yesterday. Hit 5/10 greens and 1/7 fairways and still finished -1 gross.

I'll be hitting the range again tomorrow to try get the driving back on track again

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

My game is a little bit dodgy, new driver with new set up. Stronger left hand grip is taking a while to get used to. Having said that the good hits are very good for me.
    Short game is still good thankfully but a lot of work ahead of me. Getting back to single figures won't be a piece of cake but feel I'm more than capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

mafc wrote: »
    My game is a little bit dodgy, new driver with new set up. Stronger left hand grip is taking a while to get used to. Having said that the good hits are very good for me.
    Short game is still good thankfully but a lot of work ahead of me. Getting back to single figures won't be a piece of cake but feel I'm more than capable.

No bother - sure your scores have been very low , for very long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

No bother - sure your scores have been very low , for very long.

Not so much in recent times unfortunately. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Surfing_Xboxer

Swing has improved greatly over the winter with work from my lessons with Greystones pro .... I can finally see single digits on the horizon ( currently off 12 )
    cant wait for the season to start

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

First time posting this neck of the woods!
    Recently bet the longest drive by 30 yards when I wasn't even in the competition (don't worry I didn't move the marker)
    No bad for a 17 year old ehh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Playing good consistent golf at the moment and can't wait until the 18 holes come back into play so I can try get cut.
    I feel in total control with driver , irons I feel a little uncomfortable at address which I think is down to hitting off the mats,chipping is good and putting is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Went out to play nine today, really wasn't in the shape for it to be honest, muscle's aching etc but the younger brother was off and he was mad to get out so I went.

Drove well, hit irons well *, and chipped well but the greens were so solid the ball just bounced off them without a mark so got punished for good shots shots but I know on a normal day I'd be close to the flag.

Brother's driving was great hitting every fairway (aside from par3's of course)

* Found it really hard to tee off on par3 boxes.The ground was so solid it wouldn't take a divot, just bounce of the ground. Put a tee in it you say? I could have if I brought a hammer ha

@Seanf999 - Fair play, it's a great feeling to hit a good drive although being 17 makes no odds. I know a 16yr old who can knock it over 300yds and another young lad claiming to be 42 could do the same :pac: .

Has the short game come on since the last thread?Found where the shots are being lost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Went out to play nine today, really wasn't in the shape for it to be honest, muscle's aching etc but the younger brother was off and he was mad to get out so I went.

Drove well, hit irons well *, and chipped well but the greens were so solid the ball just bounced off them without a mark so got punished for good shots shots but I know on a normal day I'd be close to the flag.

Brother's driving was great hitting every fairway (aside from par3's of course)

* Found it really hard to tee off on par3 boxes.The ground was so solid it wouldn't take a divot, just bounce of the ground. Put a tee in it you say? I could have if I brought a hammer ha

@Seanf999 - Fair play, it's a great feeling to hit a good drive although being 17 makes no odds. I know a 16yr old who can knock it over 300yds and another young lad claiming to be 42 could do the same :pac: .

Has the short game come on since the last thread?Found where the shots are being lost?

No doubt I was chuffed! Nothing compare to those long drive lads clocking it 600 yards.

It has actually! I started counting/taking note of putts, along with working on my chipping not just trying to get it on the green but working on backspin and picking where to land it etc.
    Haven't gotten out since Xmas with school and the snow but I'm slowly bringing down that handicap!

-like to clear up I meant 'this neck of the woods' as in this post!-

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

Focused on a couple of issues over the past six months which i knew i had to fix in order to progress:

1. Grip - My grip was far too weak, changed it to a text book grip. Felt very strange at the start but now completely natural. Hardly ever hook the ball now.

2. Stance - widened my stance slightly for a better base. Was nearly falling over before.

3. On backswing i deliberatly throw the club on an outside line. This helps me cock the club straight up. Also ensures i dont come too far inside and end up with a snap hook or a shank.

4. Lower body movement - before i had literally no movement from the waist down. Now at the top of my backswing the first thought in my head is to turn not shift my legs and waist. Getting a hell of a lot better distance and connection.

Since these changes have bedded in my confidence has sky rocketed. Since December all my rounds have been -2 -3 gross and hopefully form continues.

Im a believer that sound basics and a good hip turn are necessary for improvement and to avoid 'quick fixes'

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

m1ck007 wrote: »
    Focused on a couple of issues over the past six months which i knew i had to fix in order to progress:

1. Grip - My grip was far too weak, changed it to a text book grip. Felt very strange at the start but now completely natural. Hardly ever hook the ball now.

2. Stance - widened my stance slightly for a better base. Was nearly falling over before.

3. On backswing i deliberatly throw the club on an outside line. This helps me cock the club straight up. Also ensures i dont come too far inside and end up with a snap hook or a shank.

4. Lower body movement - before i had literally no movement from the waist down. Now at the top of my backswing the first thought in my head is to turn not shift my legs and waist. Getting a hell of a lot better distance and connection.

Since these changes have bedded in my confidence has sky rocketed. Since December all my rounds have been -2 -3 gross and hopefully form continues.

Im a believer that sound basics and a good hip turn are necessary for improvement and to avoid 'quick fixes'
    :eek::eek: Fair play you were off 18 in August and now you're shooting under par, at this rate you'll give Kim Jong-un a run for his money as the best golfer in the world, failing that of course you'll make an ideal Purcell player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SevesThreeIron

Those are some scores to be shooting in winter, most impressive. You'll be looking at the amateur championships no doubt in the next few years if you keep progressing, possibly even more. Interesting that you were hooking it with a very weak grip.

Those are some scores to be shooting in winter, most impressive. You'll be looking at the amateur championships no doubt in the next few years if you keep progressing, possibly even more. Interesting that you were hooking it with a very weak grip.

Made a mistake on the post. Meant to say net. Also got mixed up in strong and weak grips. Some amount of women yapping on this forum over nothing.

Made a mistake on the post. Meant to say net. Also got mixed up in strong and weak grips. Some amount of women yapping on this forum over nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Ah twas fairly obvious what you meant. But you gotta let boys have their fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SevesThreeIron

And women!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Played my first round since October in sub-zero temperatures at Roganstown this morning. 34 points off 17 including 7 pars. Disappointing because I had 31 after 15.

Could have been more but 4 of the greens were unplayably hard. The bounces were hilarious when you pitched onto them, and putts skidded rather than rolled most of the way.
    I had to borrow a putter as I forgot mine and ended up with a respectable 31 putts with no 3 putts! Might pick up a TM White Smoke on the cheap somewhere!

Anyway, respectable start to the year...went from not having played in 20 years to 17 handicap last year, hoping for cat 2 by season's end.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

It's not bad at all. Frustrating few days on the range though working on something new. I'd be more like guy on the left but pro wants me like the guy on the right, drill I have is proving very hard and little success to date.

336301.jpg

• Advertisement

Decent, played 9

Irons are good, hitting greens and giving chances of pars and birdies apart from the odd bad one coming off the bottom.

Wedge's are good once I commit but with the ground getting a little firmer bump and runs are coming back around the greens.

Putting well, made a few long ones and left the others as a tap in.

Driver and hybrids were good until the end when I started hooking low into the tree's costing me shots. Got it going on the 18th and hit a nice drive.

More practice for next weekend, might actually get a boards event playing well lol

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭midlouth

Keano wrote: »
    It's not bad at all. Frustrating few days on the range though working on something new. I'd be more like guy on the left but pro wants me like the guy on the right, drill I have is proving very hard and little success to date.

336301.jpg

What's the drill? Maybe put a small towel under your right arm and try not to drop?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

It's similar to the gate drill except using 2 balls. I'm trying to hit the outside ball.

Mad day of golf.

Kids haven't been well - so tied up in house a good bit, mad to get out.

So today she sent me off, for a game and to buy my new irons - a legend.
    Got 240 euro for old ones, so a new set for 160 (lol) - couldn't turn it down - considering i was looking at them for near 700 quid at one stage. So going to stiff (S300) - will be interesting or a disaster , but sure you only live once. I've spent more in town on one night.

So in ridiculous conditions - blowing over my bag ( a heavy bag) - I hit Corballis as knew it would be empty and quick. By the way, bunkers being removed on fairway 9 and front of 10. More sand added to all others.

So a goodbye round to my irons, first hole almost a hole in one with 8 iron (lol) , an up yours from the jpx 800, clubs I won the money for, on a ridiculous bet on D Clarke win in 2011 Open.

Back to earth quick with an 11 - yes 11 on 3, was hilarious in that wind. blowing me over a little. I tried to overpower it , silly mistake in wind like that.
    Wind mad - driver and 7 iron onto 12 for example.

The wind died down a little from about 11 - and went 2 over for back nine, with a near hole in one again on 13. I know it is ridiculous to say a near hole in one, but we all know ones that are properly tracking the hole. Corballis the course to try get them.

Should have been level par on back , but just struggle to pick a club on 15 every time there. I think I have only ever hit that green about 10 times in maybe 100. Nearly a psychological thing, I'd be better off 160 yards out.

So 3 birdies again today - feel my putting has tuned a corner , wedges and chipping still shocking.

So the last thing I needed was new irons - I'll be looking for a set of old ones again watch (lol)

Short game work starts Feb 1st. This new little project could go 2 ways - but sure it is only a game a bit of fun.

I think stiff will suit your tempo more and judging by the near hole in ones they suit just fine.

How are you adjusting to the club head size,shafts and any distance? Any lost yards or height?

I think stiff will suit your tempo more and judging by the near hole in ones they suit just fine.

How are you adjusting to the club head size,shafts and any distance? Any lost yards or height?

Lol - dan they were the old clubs. :D

Lol - dan they were the old clubs. :D

Ah I read it you got out for a game to try your new clubs :pac:

Ah I read it you got out for a game to try your new clubs :pac:

will when I get them - will read,

1st shank , 2nd pull hook ,

Anyone got a 2nd hand set of JPX :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Anyone got a 2nd hand set of JPX :D

You can have mine, hoping to switch to AP2's soon, had a fitting in McGuirks and off the shelf should work fine.

Haven't had forged irons since my Diablo's were stolen

J

• Advertisement

You can have mine, hoping to switch to AP2's soon, had a fitting in McGuirks and off the shelf should work fine.

Haven't had forged irons since my Diablo's were stolen

J

Why did you change J - how did you find jpx overall.
    Maybe post in new irons thread.

Advertisement