Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Getting to the range every Thursday this last few weeks, but its just not the same as getting to the course.
    First society outing this Sunday and if its cancelled because of bad weather I've told the missus I'm converting the house into a golf course, I've planned a dogleg par 4 from behind the sofa in the living room to the back toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Well I doubt I'll ever get much closer to hole in one in my life! 170 yards into the wind too!

340348.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Golf is nuts. I was really struggling for weeks and scrapping 28 pointers then today I shoot an 8 over 37 points in the wind. Came third for first voucher of 2015!

I know there is still work to do but nice to enjoy some good golf today.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

the lawman wrote: »
    Golf is nuts. I was really struggling for weeks and scrapping 28 pointers then today I shoot an 8 over 37 points in the wind. Came third for first voucher of 2015!

I know there is still work to do but nice to enjoy some good golf today.
    Told you it was too early to throw the toys out of the pram, good to see those words of encouragement weren't wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Told you it was too early to throw the toys out of the pram, good to see those words of encouragement weren't wasted.

Troll at this stage.

But I like your "encouragement" all the same.

What you play off Norfolk ?

• Advertisement

Troll at this stage.

But I like your "encouragement" all the same.

What you play off Norfolk ?
    Fix you're a cynic through and through and what's my HC got to do with anything? are you a HC snob by chance?.

Fix you're a cynic through and through and what's my HC got to do with anything? are you a HC snob by chance?.

Lol.
    Simple question.
    You can't be giving all the time and not give back.

We want to understand The Kerry "Animal" - last weekend Played with a kerry lad.
    Lovely guy.
    Was thinking about you at the time.

I'd say you are + 2

Lol.
    Simple question.
    You can't be giving all the time and not give back.

We want to understand The Kerry "Animal" - last weekend Played with a kerry lad.
    Lovely guy.
    Was thinking about you at the time.

I'd say you are + 2
    I've been gagged FiXde, should have known all youse Jackeens sthick together, anything outside the pale is a foreign country.
    BTW It's back up to 6 now, but started much higher and have a appreciation of how delusional the vast majority of us are about the game and like to indulge in delivering cold hard facts from time to time, needless to say some appreciate that less than others ;).

Well not gagged by a jackeen - that is for sure.

No - I love a credential filled conscientious objector.

Keeps the dreamers "me-self".
    The useless and delusional on the right track.

Keep it up . Norfolk.

Behind the hard facade. The Kerry crowd are normally fairly soft and fashionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Have given golf a good break over the winter. Hit the training hard instead to get the fitness levels back up to where they once were. Playing golf once a week at most but more like every second week.

Each game I've been 5-6 down on handicap with lots of poor shots.

Good game today 1 up on handicap and bar a double bogey from hitting a 9i into a green for my second the round was very solid.

Hoping when the bright evenings come back that the sharpness will be back quick enough with good midweek practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

30 points sat played one of my worst games this year couldn't get going at all till the end when I notice I wasn't opening my hips!! always figure it out towards the end when its to late! The chap I was playing with was a bit of a pyco/nut job which didnt help :D

Really taught I'd rip it up this weekend after playing well last week in the boards society on a links and a course I didn't know.

Really have to stop thinking about my HC and just score well till it comes down. (I know Im a better player than my HC suggests) Its just a mental block I have now on my home course!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

30 points and you played the worst game of your life? You have high standards :(

Ha,, I have a high HC, and wasn't swinging well have been getting lessons recently and I was failing to do 1 bit that I was practicing and only remembered last couple of holes & started swinging much better.

Considering I was getting 28 - 31pts on 13 hole winter comps & sat was first time back on 18 but still placing!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

I managed to get out for 7 holes yesterday evening before darkness started setting in, and i didn't play too badly considering the windy conditions.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/SmilingHeadcase/round/206131

I ended up at 5 over, with included 3 pars, 3 bogeys and 1 double. The double was pure silly and down to my chipping being rubbish, but i'm working on that. While the overall stats are decent, FIR 80% & GIR 43%, i was happiest with my putting. And while i didn't sink any long ones, i only left myself with a simple tap in after my first putt. So i avoided any tricky 3 - 5 footers to save par/bogey.

I'm a lot more positive now then i was last week after playing Mt Juliet. Its a funny old game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Out on practice range last 3 days since missing 71% Fir.
    Tried few drills at home before hitting the range,
    For the first time since changing my swing I can see the light thanks be to Jesus starting to believe this is the way forward,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

So the winter is over and the season should be ready to go again. I'd say provided the weather is reasonable this week I'd expect next weeks competition to be qualifying in my club, or if not then definitley the following weeks one should be.

How's everyone's game? All set for big seasons?

I'm flying at the moment I must say, went for 9 holes this evening and parred all 9, definitely couldn't complain about that. And that's in or around how I've been playing recently. My driving was basically perfect but did hit 1 or 2 sloppy approach shots but always good to have something to work on. Hoping to get away to a fast start and get a decent cut within the first 2 or 3 competitions, try get down to 3 as quickly as possible (currently 3.8) and just go from there then.

Yea I think i'm getting there! starting to get 1 or 2 birdies now a round and loads of chances much improved, so hopefully my hard work is paying off! broke a few barriers during the winter months or since the new year. First eagle & first time to have 2 birdies in a round which happen in the last boards society. This is my 4th year as a member of a club and have yet to get so much as a .1 back! so hopefully this year will be epic :D

Was out injured for a while. Recovered quicker than expected.

So just used time out for putting - was healthy in a way. Don't think I've been to a range in a month.

Feeling more and more confident with new irons and distances, sort of coming around. To be honest not sure I've played with them on a still day - has been a 2 to 4 club wind.
    I'm hitting the 7 iron 155 - about a club weaker.

But have notice the distance way more consitent

The 6 holes I play for practice - I'm playing them in around (2 over) - Good day can just reach par. Driving well - with ball staying in play.

So working on short stuff 80 % of the time
    Was long stuff 80 % of the time in past - so have turned my practice upside down in a way.

Changed putter - and this is going well.

Overall happy - much equipment changes - shafts now stiff , playing them well - but find there is no hanging around with them - you need to get into them.

Notice that I'm not really losing balls at all, and the big scores are as good as gone. Bogey it is at most.

Can't wait for qualifying - for a while there I felt I was going to drift up to about 8 , but feel now I can hold this bitch. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Just like Fix, I'm dying for qualifying to start. Game is in great shape at the minute. My driving is much improved, but still room for more consistency. My irons are great and have been for a long time. Chipping has improved no end since I started to mix it up a bit. Went through a phase of throwing everything up in the air when I got a new 60deg wedge last year, forgot the art of bump and run, since rediscovered. Also reconstructed my putting stroke using shoulders instead of arms and it took some time but now settled in nicely.

Now expecting to par holes instead of hoping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Am looking forward to the qualifying starting soon here too. Whole game in in ok ish shape, consistently playing to my handicap. Having won two club comps on the bounce I'm beginning to draw sneering looks so the sooner I get down the better.

Been practicing a lot on closing out rounds where before I would've crumbled through card watching and number crunching. Mentally really trying to stay focussed and concentrated, to the point where I don't really contribute as much socially on course any more. Selfish but effective, I just seem to perform better so.

Driving still my weakest attribute, but seem to be able to get it away reasonably most times. Irons and short game are singing, putting improving too having changed swing and club over the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Terrible today. All the winter practice and to play like I did today was very disappointing. Good wake up call that I need more course time now opposed to on the range

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Only a quick six holes played today. 14 points 3 pars 2 bogies and 1 dbl. Not bad on heavily hallowtined and sanded greens. Driving good irons pretty good, putting was a lottery. Did intentionally play very fast just so i wouldn't be thinking too much. Portumna tomorrow so hopefully carry it forward to then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Put my game up to the test in PP trial matchplays. Different animal altogether, very nervy golf at times in two matches so far.
    A half from two games not a great return, but we were up against two far better golfers than ourselves and still managed to take it down 17 in the lost match. Played the better golf in our drawn match, a match we should've won until a major argument on 14 stupidly rattled us while we were 2 up.
    Jury still out as to whether I actually like this format :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭valoren

I've been working on curing an over the top swing that's been creeping back in.
    This is using the right foot back drill to get the path more from the inside at the range for the past couple of weeks.

Yesterday's practice round was as below.

Of the 34 full shot swings. (including some second practice tee shots/and wedge shots);

20 were good (where the intended shot/shape came off as planned)

8 were average (where the intended shot/shape didn't come off as planned but the ball was in play - this includes some pushes/pulls etc)

6 were poor (where the intended shot/shape didn't come off and the ball was lost or incurred a penalty).

Overall I hit 3 sliced tee shots due to the OTT rearing it's head.

I am happy where the tee/approach game is at.
    My putting was somewhat rushed due to getting done in good time. For another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭stitcheddepin

first 18 hole club comp of the year Saturday.
    35 points.
    slow start but then hit 10 of the last greens in reg.
    attacked well but just didn't make enough birds.
    cold putter
    encouraging striking though, greens were pole forked so il blame that!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭magnethead

just back after 10 years, played 2 great rounds and thought I still had it, but then it all went to hell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭slingerz

got a lesson at the weekend and used a trackman for the first time ever. slight change to the grip is seeing me not push some many shots to the right. tough to make the change though and how some way of development to go.

looking forward to this series of lessons though as i reckon its going to bring about a big improvemnt in the consistency of my game.

hopefully the single figure target will be achieved this year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

slingerz wrote: »
    got a lesson at the weekend and used a trackman for the first time ever. slight change to the grip is seeing me not push some many shots to the right. tough to make the change though and how some way of development to go.

looking forward to this series of lessons though as i reckon its going to bring about a big improvemnt in the consistency of my game.

hopefully the single figure target will be achieved this year

grip really is one of the toughest things I found adjusting too. Always knew if it felt wrong I was probably doing it right :D

First comp in my new club last weekend. A baptism of fire, strokes from the championship tees.

Started pretty solid, 3 bogeys, 2 pars for first 5. Then the 6th happened. Hit a decent enough drive, slightly overdrawn though, found it nestled at the base of a tree maybe 5/6 yards from the left edge of the fairway. Tried to get it moving forward, caught a branch & kicked under the trees. Taking medicine & knocking back out...overhit & under the trees in the opposite side of the fairway. Knocked out to fairway with my 4th. Left with about 80yrds in...duffed the pitch. Hit green with next, 2 putts, for a quad :(

Took a hole or two to get my head back together after that.

No birdies, few pars, few bogeys & a couple of doubles (3 putts from bad spots)

Learned a lot about the course. There are definite places you don't want to miss off the tee, and from the wrong spot the greens can leave you in some serious trouble.

In terms of my game, pretty happy with ball striking.

From the tee getting consistent right to left with the (mini) driver & keeping pace with most of my playing partners hitting drivers. Being an old ott person, still find it tough to aim right, fruit is some nice draws, but starting too far left so a lot more misses left. But at least if Im missing left I know I'm going the right direction.

Hitting hybrids really well, shaping both ways & good distance.

Mid irons ok, swing change resulting in a few pulls.

Scoring irons good, hitting longer & pretty consistent.

Short game starting to get more comfortable again, improvement but still needs tightening.

Putter, struggling for pace but good on line, pace will come back.

All in all, feeling quietly confident with my game right now. I know it's still a work in progress, but genuinely feeling I can kick on if I can getbyhe time dedicated to improving

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Great stuff Space, give yourself plenty of time to get to know the course. I played it loads last year and I love / hate the place. Love the course, generally hated my scores :)

It's bite is definitely worse than it's bark. A lot of holes seem fairly handy but a few yards off the wrong side and you're struggling. Should bring on your game no end though. Helped mine big time..... greens are lightening in summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

PARlance wrote: »
    Great stuff Space, give yourself plenty of time to get to know the course. I played it loads last year and I love / hate the place. Love the course, generally hated my scores :)

It's bite is definitely worse than it's bark. A lot of holes seem fairly handy but a few yards off the wrong side and you're struggling. Should bring on your game no end though. Helped mine big time..... greens are lightening in summer.

absolutely Par, know it's going to take time to find my way round the place, but I felt I needed a tougher challenge to push my game on

Advertisement