Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

absolutely Par, know it's going to take time to find my way round the place, but I felt I needed a tougher challenge to push my game on

What is the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

What is the course?

Moving from Grange Castle to Castlewarden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Played the Monty yesterday.Lovely day for it.Played really well
    +4 for the front and +3 for the back off 12.
    SHort game needs a bit of practice but I will work on it over the next few weeks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Laid up with my back the last few days, off work and all, hope I haven't done any damage as I'm going to Portugal next week to play for the week. Have been playing well, 35 around Corballis followed by a 34 around black bush. Anyone any tips for a sore lower back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Rest for as much as possible then after 3 days very careful stretches. No golf until you go away and you must warm up probably. With most back pain you should concentrate on stomach exercises like crunches but not until your fit enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Cheers Scrubber, Will give them tips a try!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Only really back and playing as much as possible with PP team trials coming up, 28 pts sat, 30 on sunday and a 36 points yesterday with 3 silly scratches after bad drives :) .

Putting and chipping coming on after a lot of practice over the winter and determined to not just give up silly points/strokes with carlessness, now to work on controlling the nerves over the first drive in trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Ive no idea, but I will tell you after my first competitive game since September :eek::eek::eek: on Sunday.

FORE!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭slingerz

1st 18 of the year tomorrow, looking forward to it a 3 person team event so an easy introduction back to it.

have been playing the odd 14 hole comp and playing relatively well in those so hopeful enough that i'll go ok. got a lesson the other week that tweaked my grip slightly to avoid a push to the right so hopefully will see the benefits of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

First qualifying competition of the year there at the weekend. 35 points off 4 which is decent but 2 scratches and an out of bounds meant I left 38/39, a nice cut and probably the gross prize behind me which is annoying.

Hit the ball great all day, particularily with the driver. And putted really well but my short game was just pathetic. I think I hit 11 greens but of the 7 I missed I only got up and down twice (and one of them involved holing a 15 footer so was more down to putting than chipping). I'm blaming the placing around the greens all winter, I'm just totally out of practice with chipping from less than perfect lies. Loads of work needed in the next couple of weeks on the short game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭slingerz

got recruited for pierce purcell which is nice.

played ok had a 3 of holes that were disasters, some that were fair and then some that were very good! at least it was a team comp anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

It is all mental, isn't it.

Still in the best form I've ever been in - head out, can play to handicap - not even going that well. A year since I've been able to do this - was a frustrating year.

Was talking to a few of the lads I play with (golfing advocates) - I changed so much the last 2 months , it has made it hard to understand why this has happened. I love answers - but there seems to be too many variables here. Golf is a little grey sometimes.

Changed
    a) Irons
    b) Shaft Type
    c) Putter
    d) Practice routine
    e) Short game and putting practice routine

I'm obviously delighted - has been a, very long and difficult slog.

But - if the truth be know - the last two months , I seen something come , it was small increments - but seen everything come right a little bit at a time - then, bang. Amazing.

But the effort - was the biggest effort I've put into golf ever. Was very very intense - At one stage - I did something to do with golf every day, for, I'd say 3 weeks (mad stuff). Some days was just 1 hour on putting , other days 6 hours of all golf activity.

The funny thing, I was enjoying what I was doing - I started to enjoy short game and putting practice - I never enjoyed that practice before ( I was poor at it) - but as you get better at stuff, you enjoy it more

When I finally got a couple of level par 9s , then it was level par 12 - then bang, under par. It was like a step change in performance.

Anyway - after it was all done , a little bit of a celebration. Too much at times (lol).

But - could definitely feel a mental and physical exhale.

So another bit of a transition - going on a holiday , will not even see a golf course or club for two weeks.

Reflection on what to do next. What do I want to do next.

People go on about handicap and all that , when I tried to improve at golf - it was me and the course and a score - I'm still inspired by, me versus the course . I know this is a little unusual. So much so when I go out to practice it is a practice round - ( I don't play 2 balls).
    What helped here, was playing only 6 holes - I then knew it was not a round - it forced me to play 2 balls, retake a chip a putt etc.

I've never been into the handicap chasing - It is the next logical step.

But not sure I'm that inspired by that.

Anyway - will think about it looking at the sea - elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

hey Fix in what way did you change your practice & short game routine? As in what were you doing & and what did to you change and start doing? would you just go out to your course and throw a few balls down at 100 yard marker and in or do drills etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

It is all mental, isn't it.

Still in the best form I've ever been in - head out, can play to handicap - not even going that well. A year since I've been able to do this - was a frustrating year.

Was talking to a few of the lads I play with (golfing advocates) - I changed so much the last 2 months , it has made it hard to understand why this has happened. I love answers - but there seems to be too many variables here. Golf is a little grey sometimes.

Changed
    a) Irons
    b) Shaft Type
    c) Putter
    d) Practice routine
    e) Short game and putting practice routine

I'm obviously delighted - has been a, very long and difficult slog.

But - if the truth be know - the last two months , I seen something come , it was small increments - but seen everything come right a little bit at a time - then, bang. Amazing.

But the effort - was the biggest effort I've put into golf ever. Was very very intense - At one stage - I did something to do with golf every day, for, I'd say 3 weeks (mad stuff). Some days was just 1 hour on putting , other days 6 hours of all golf activity.

The funny thing, I was enjoying what I was doing - I started to enjoy short game and putting practice - I never enjoyed that practice before ( I was poor at it) - but as you get better at stuff, you enjoy it more

When I finally got a couple of level par 9s , then it was level par 12 - then bang, under par. It was like a step change in performance.

Anyway - after it was all done , a little bit of a celebration. Too much at times (lol).

But - could definitely feel a mental and physical exhale.

So another bit of a transition - going on a holiday , will not even see a golf course or club for two weeks.

Reflection on what to do next. What do I want to do next.

People go on about handicap and all that , when I tried to improve at golf - it was me and the course and a score - I'm still inspired by, me versus the course . I know this is a little unusual. So much so when I go out to practice it is a practice round - ( I don't play 2 balls).
    What helped here, was playing only 6 holes - I then knew it was not a round - it forced me to play 2 balls, retake a chip a putt etc.

I've never been into the handicap chasing - It is the next logical step.

But not sure I'm that inspired by that.

Anyway - will think about it looking at the sea - elsewhere.

The total opposite has happened me in the last year Fix. Shot my first sub par round this time last year off 8 got down to 6 after winning a monthly medal and like someone turned off a tap it was gone. I've had The most frustrating 6 months of my life. I can't get the ball off the tee which was always the strongest part of my game. This has put the rest of my game under pressure and badly affected my confidence. Shot 90 in a medal last Sunday. I've had a couple of lessons and been to the range plenty but just can't find a swing. It's as if I've forgotten how to play the game and feels like I'm starting the game again as an 8 year old. If anybody can relate to the feeling of being totally lost on the course then that's me. Only for I'm so totally addicted to golf I'd throw the clubs in the river. If anybody spots a golf swing walking around anywhere looking lonely its mine I'd bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

yettie1701 wrote: »
    The total opposite has happened me in the last year Fix. Shot my first sub par round this time last year off 8 got down to 6 after winning a monthly medal and like someone turned off a tap it was gone. I've had The most frustrating 6 months of my life. I can't get the ball off the tee which was always the strongest part of my game. This has put the rest of my game under pressure and badly affected my confidence. Shot 90 in a medal last Sunday. I've had a couple of lessons and been to the range plenty but just can't find a swing. It's as if I've forgotten how to play the game and feels like I'm starting the game again as an 8 year old. If anybody can relate to the feeling of being totally lost on the course then that's me. Only for I'm so totally addicted to golf I'd throw the clubs in the river. If anybody spots a golf swing walking around anywhere looking lonely its mine I'd bet.

Are you activating your glutes?;)

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Are you activating your glutes?;)

Never thought of that. I'm away in a hack again. Ta very much

benny79 wrote: »
    hey Fix in what way did you change your practice & short game routine? As in what were you doing & and what did to you change and start doing? would you just go out to your course and throw a few balls down at 100 yard marker and in or do drills etc?

I need to be careful here.

Because - my good form is mainly (I think) due to GIR - GIR is the key for my low scores - a day you make a few more you have your lowest score ever.

GIR - to a degree negates the short game.
    GIR came for me due to distance control in the 180 to 120 yard range.

Also my short game and putting is still my weakest part of my game.

It just went from chronic (maybe 2/3 out of 10 up and downs) to 4to5.

Bad up and downs with bad putting is a bogey to maybe a double to treble.

But I'll answer your question - on that one area.
    I started going to short game practice area instead of a round of golf - was so hard for me, as love a game of golf - 1 ball , the real score - turning a 83 into an 80 - trying to get into the 70s - I just wasn't using my golf time well - I was enjoying it , but not improving.

1) 100 yards was my old logic - it is bad logic.
    When I got 50 balls and hit them, real measurement of average - it was 95 yards - I should have used a laser for this in practice - but stepped it out from the markers. Stil was a big lesson - how poor my distance logic was - 5 yards is a chance of a 3 putt.

2) work out how you hit your 75 yard shot - your 50 - your 25.
    Exact place of hand on grip (exact), use company name logo on grip - bloody tip ex if required. (if you use this method)

3) study your divot , why are you steep - why are you flat. What happens when YOU hit it fat.

4) get very good at your 9 iron chip and run - know why it goes right or left , know exact position you hold club on grip , know exact shaft angle

5) 10 balls is not enough ,get one that holds 100 balls - you'd be amazed how quick you can hit 100 balls (always fix turf :D)
    You'd be even more amazed how easy it is to hit 250 balls -

6) try to hole chips - if not why are you not holing them - set a little challenge , don't leave till you get one in.

7) Bunkers - you are bad at bunkers because you are not practising them - leaving a ball in a bunker is unacceptable - open up , know exact distance from ball open up use bounce, slice it hard, enjoy them

8) after you improve a little - have two flag front and back - don't go at one all the time - 25 - 50 , to 25 50 , it makes you understand how the two swings and grips are.

9) on clubs - I'm not good enough to practice all above with 3/4 wedges - pick your wedge , pick your chip and run club - stick with them (IMO) it was enough effort to get a feel for 2 clubs - just don't understand lads trying all sort of stuff like 60 - 64 etc. (but just me there) - bounces on wedges are another art form - by using just one wedge - I isolated bounce impact.

10) On putting - be honest - Do you practice it 2 to 3 hours a week. 1 hour to 90 mins just putting in one go - how many do it ?
    Lag putting practice can transform a bad round - amazing how much fun it can be and how you can hole them.

Benny to sum up - be honest what you are **** at - practice that.

Just cause I had a bit of decent golf - doesn't mean I'm cured - I'm still very poor - (very poor) , but I seen a little bit of an improvement, to summaries , the game is a nightmare.

Great post there.

You're putting in savage time there and what's more it sounds like it's smart practice as well.

The GIR stat is vital as you say. Because you can probably say that every time you hit one it's a par in the bag generally. Obviously you'll three putt occasionally but you'll make birdies too.

It's only since I've started keeping my stats that I realised how bad my short game obviously is. For example over that time I've averaged 11 GIR per round. That's pretty decent.

So why then am I not playing off lower than 4? This is what I'm asking myself now. It's obviously short game. Of the 7 greens I'm missing I'm only getting up and down an average of just under 3 of those times. Not even close to being good enough and I know myself that I'm a decent at the basic chip and run shots but I'm just awful from the bunkers and at hitting the high floaty sort of shots especially if the lie isn't great. And I reckon they're what killing me at the moment.

So I think I'll have to take a leaf out of your book Fix and start heading for the practice green occasionally instead of always just playing 9 or 12 holes when I'm practising. I can't imagine that'll be easy!

That was me Galway lad - so hard to start.

But - when you start is easier the next time. You get a routine - have a drink with you - at one stage was thinking of bringing a little mp3 player. But no.

One of the best players in my club the other day - said to me , your chipping is lethal - I had to laugh. I just happened to hit 8 or 9 good ones in a row when he was there.

The idea of that was hilarious. The idea of someone like him saying that to me 3 months ago - would be just hilarious.

It sounds like lots of work - but at times - I just went to course an hour earlier - or stayed after for 30 mins if I had a bad day on the course putting etc.

Again - the return is very small - say I need to get to 100 % in this area - I've only made it 10 to 15 % there -

I've only put about 4 hours a week, for last say, 8 weeks - putting and chipping.
    New putting mat too.

If I went to range - 30 mins after putting too , the area was always empty.

Says so much about the game. So many love lashing balls, trying clubs, shafts , settings.

By the way - I'm the worst sinner out there.

That was me Galway lad - so hard to start.

But - when you start is easier the next time. You get a routine - have a drink with you - at one stage was thinking of bringing a little mp3 player. But no.

One of the best players in my club the other day - said to me , your chipping is lethal - I had to laugh. I just happened to hit 8 or 9 good ones in a row when he was there.

The idea of that was hilarious. The idea of someone like him saying that to me 3 months ago - would be just hilarious.

It sounds like lots of work - but at times - I just went to course an hour earlier - or stayed after for 30 mins if I had a bad day on the course putting etc.

Again - the return is very small - say I need to get to 100 % in this area - I've only made it 10 to 15 % there -

I've only put about 4 hours a week, for last say, 8 weeks - putting and chipping.
    New putting mat too.

If I went to range - 30 mins after putting too , the area was always empty.

Says so much about the game. So many love lashing balls, trying clubs, shafts , settings.

By the way - I'm the worst sinner out there.

Sure isn't that the beauty of the game? Everyone from hackers like us to Rory McIlroy has something to be working on!

I must admit I haven't actually gone to the short game area in my club in months, which is crazy stuff really when I know myself that it's a weakness for me.

But I suppose to put a positive spin on it it shows that there's potential for improvement there that I've got to a 4 hcap with a very average short game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Had my first game since October on Sunday and delighted with how it went. 36 points off 18 including 1 scratch and 5 pars so very happy.

Driver was leaking right but playing Black Bush so course fairly forgiving.

6 and 7 irons were as good as I have ever hit them, couldn't believe it.

Wedges pulling left for some reason and over cooked a few pitches

Chipping was ok

Putting was shocking

Plenty of positives and plenty to work on!

I sound a carbon copy of you Galway lad.

Except my condition was chronic. (so got to - 6 lol)

Anyway - I'm far far from someone to give advice on this stuff.

One thing I never got right - was to get a good pro out to a short game area with me - would save loads of time and effort - I'd imagine.

I can't put my finger on it - but, not sure we have great short game teaching and facilities in Dublin. Many pros work on the core of swing - many clubs have no pro, many clubs have very poor short game areas. Many short game areas are in poor condition.

But - you can be great at excuses too - you could argue the short game is your own trail and error - go do it. Golf World and mags have all the info - You Tube etc.

I'm undecided on all this.

I feel I needed something like that at start. But genuinely gave up on that - and just did it myself.

I still think I need major help.

Because of the poor facilities - how many teaching pros are good at teaching short game - another days debate.

Lads in Carton - have it all there , wasn't that into the group teaching - and Carton seems to be targeting elite golf. A good trip out there - for something you need to work on for many hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Singles matchplay qualifier last Sunday. Made it in with 37 points. Made final last year so was really trying hard to qualify.

Silly scratch on 14 which is not a tough hole unless you slice tee shot :rolleyes:

Everything felt average at best. Guess this is what happens when you go on a great run over the winter - beating your handicap by one seems like a let down. Feel like there is more in the tank but have to prove it as its a good while since the highs of Nov/Dec

Thank feck the long evenings are coming to hopefully build some momentum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

I'm the same as yourself fix were as I prefer to play then go to the short game but it doesn't help that my club has no short games facilities, but you would usually see a couple of lads out in the evenings practicing around a green.

My problem is people keep telling me I have a great swing etc even Pro's I go to. And I've read its easy to go from 20's hc down to 10 hc etc Im yet to break 90 in golf and when I'm playing good its usually a 92-94.

I find it hard to play to my hc cause I think I'm better than it. So maybe I should be hitting centre of green instead of pin chasing! but its usually of 2 or 3 holes that mess my score up a drive oob for example but can easily happen on different holes so it wouldn't be the same hole causing problems.

But I know and have been told that my biggest weaknesses are mental :D and course maintenance. So like Padraig I need to stay out of my own way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

benny79 wrote: »
    I'm the same as yourself fix were as I prefer to play then go to the short game but it doesn't help that my club has no short games facilities, but you would usually see a couple of lads out in the evenings practicing around a green.

My problem is people keep telling me I have a great swing etc even Pro's I go to. And I've read its easy to go from 20's hc down to 10 hc etc Im yet to break 90 in golf and when I'm playing good its usually a 92-94.

I find it hard to play to my hc cause I think I'm better than it. So maybe I should be hitting centre of green instead of pin chasing! but its usually of 2 or 3 holes that mess my score up a drive oob for example but can easily happen on different holes so it wouldn't be the same hole causing problems.

But I know and have been told that my biggest weaknesses are mental :D and course maintenance. So like Padraig I need to stay out of my own way!

Don't know where you read that but there is nothing easy about this game and going from 20s to 10 is definitely not easy. Not even close.

Pin chasing might be an issue but OOB is much bigger. My handicap only really started to come down when I started keeping the ball in play. The lower my handicap gets the less drivers I hit for example. Course management is key but its a hard one to tell some one - usually has to come from bitter experience :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Game continues to improve, so very happy at the moment. It was a lovely evening and had no offers of a game but decided to just go anyway. Arrived at Mahon golf club at 5.10pm to find the place locked up. Tried to find someone around to pay a green fee but the place was deserted. Even went into the pub across the road and the barman told me to just hop the fence! So that's exactly what I did. There was only a handful of people on the whole course.

So off I went. Started with a sloppy bogey then put 4 consecutive pars together before making a total mess of the par 3 6th and making a double. Then hit a perfect drive on 7 but then chunked my second into the river Lee and walked off with an 8, so 5 shots dropped in two holes. But quickly settled down again parring the 8th and 9th. That 9th hole is a tough par 3 but I had a 12 foot putt for birdie tonight and only just missed it. Parred it earlier this week as well! Then another good drive on 10 was followed by a thinned lob wedge and the ball went miles over the back. Ended up with a double again and was +8 after 10. But once again settled quickly and started playing best golf of the evening. Pars followed on 11, 12, 13, birdie on 14, then bogied 15, par on 16 and then bogied 17 and 18, both of which were a bit sloppy.

Finished +10 for the round, play off 13, so happy enough. (And that +10 was achieved with two doubles and 1 treble on the card!)

What's most pleasing for me at the moment is that as soon as the game clicks into gear I seem to be much better at staying there. And most importantly the last 3 rounds have seen very strong finishes, played the last 8 in +1 and should have been better- two of the three bogies on the back nine came from three putts. In my defence the greens in Mahon have just been pole forked and are pretty ****ty at the moment.

It was a lovely evening, managed to play the full 18 in just over 2 hours! That's what happens when you have a course to yourself. Just can't wait to get going with qualifying golf, nearly there now.

Barnaboy wrote: »
    Game continues to improve, so very happy at the moment. It was a lovely evening and had no offers of a game but decided to just go anyway. Arrived at Mahon golf club at 5.10pm to find the place locked up. Tried to find someone around to pay a green fee but the place was deserted. Even went into the pub across the road and the barman told me to just hop the fence! So that's exactly what I did. There was only a handful of people on the whole course.

So off I went. Started with a sloppy bogey then put 4 consecutive pars together before making a total mess of the par 3 6th and making a double. Then hit a perfect drive on 7 but then chunked my second into the river Lee and walked off with an 8, so 5 shots dropped in two holes. But quickly settled down again parring the 8th and 9th. That 9th hole is a tough par 3 but I had a 12 foot putt for birdie tonight and only just missed it. Parred it earlier this week as well! Then another good drive on 10 was followed by a thinned lob wedge and the ball went miles over the back. Ended up with a double again and was +8 after 10. But once again settled quickly and started playing best golf of the evening. Pars followed on 11, 12, 13, birdie on 14, then bogied 15, par on 16 and then bogied 17 and 18, both of which were a bit sloppy.

Finished +10 for the round, play off 13, so happy enough. (And that +10 was achieved with two doubles and 1 treble on the card!)

What's most pleasing for me at the moment is that as soon as the game clicks into gear I seem to be much better at staying there. And most importantly the last 3 rounds have seen very strong finishes, played the last 8 in +1 and should have been better- two of the three bogies on the back nine came from three putts. In my defence the greens in Mahon have just been pole forked and are pretty ****ty at the moment.

It was a lovely evening, managed to play the full 18 in just over 2 hours! That's what happens when you have a course to yourself. Just can't wait to get going with qualifying golf, nearly there now.

Bet it felt even better seeing as you just hopped the fence.... Bet they will be a sniper on duty from this evening. Good shooting and always feels good when you recover from a double or scratch and stay mentally focused. Our qualifying came in last week so up and running already .1 in the bag I'm afraid. Best of luck with the year ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

4) get very good at your 9 iron chip and run - know why it goes right or left , know exact position you hold club on grip , know exact shaft angle

Tried chipping with a 9 iron; felt like cheating, should be banned like the long putter :pac::P

As for putting from 70 yards off the green; disgraceful behaviour altogether ;):pac:

Back to fluffing and thinning the odd 64 degree and I feel much better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭valoren

Started a practice round again last Saturday.

I read a tip to try to imagine you are in a competition and you have family and loved ones there watching and supporting you, as well as a crowd. Try to imagine it as vividly as possible. It really focuses you when playing each shot under 'pressure'. Like being in the final of a PP match or something.

It's also helping that I'm developing a solid and consistent pre-shot routine on every shot.

At the range on full shots, my swing thoughts are surround grip pressure, pauses slightly at the top (to prevent an OTT downswing, as I have a habit of hitting from the top) and really getting my navel pointing at the target through impact.

This swing thought turned into a tempo thought of the below;

Toothpaste - light grip
    Pause - pause at top
    Hips - full followthrough to finish

Watching the rugby over the weekend turned this into;

Touch
    Pause
    Engage

Sounds crazy I know but I try it everytime and just accept the result as I know I've applied some sort of process to the shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

+12 off 17 at Luttrelstown today. 2nd best round ever. Hitting the ground way before the ball with 6-9i...need to sort that out...check out a few of my par 3 tee shots!

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/zuutroy/round/234238

Advertisement