Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Got out this evening for 9 holes, sick all week so first time to hold a club since last weekend. Knocked down tee shot on first and duffed chip with third but still made a bogey 5. Settled down after that and had 3 pars in a row followed by a silly bogey on a par 5. Level par for the remaining 4 holes so finished well. Drove the ball well after the first hole, irons were good & putted well. Competition tomorrow so hopefully I can keep it going and get an early cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Got out yesterday evening for 10 random holes ( i jumped around the place as I found gaps ). It was my first time to play in about 2 weeks. Mostly just wanted to get out and practice with my new wedges but discovered myself shooting -1 for the 10 holes. A birdie and 9 pars.

Golf is a fierce easy game when you're under no real pressure, though I was trying to put myself under a little pressure by cutting right in front of people and then imagining them staring me down with some disgust to make sure I hit good shots lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

mafc wrote: »
    Got out this evening for 9 holes, sick all week so first time to hold a club since last weekend. Knocked down tee shot on first and duffed chip with third but still made a bogey 5. Settled down after that and had 3 pars in a row followed by a silly bogey on a par 5. Level par for the remaining 4 holes so finished well. Drove the ball well after the first hole, irons were good & putted well. Competition tomorrow so hopefully I can keep it going and get an early cut.

Another .1 played in a gale, some difference from yesterday. Ah well there's always next weekend.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Playing the golf of my life these times, beating hc consistently since Xmas. What happens? A chipped bone in a knucklejoint from my little 3year old girl swinging off it. Out for up to 2 weeks :-(

If it happened any other way I'd be disappointed :-).

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Putt it there

Playing the golf of my life these times, beating hc consistently since Xmas. What happens? A chipped bone in a knucklejoint from my little 3year old girl swinging off it. Out for up to 2 weeks :-(

If it happened any other way I'd be disappointed :-).

Sounds like you are getting the excuses in early ahead of the whupping you're going to get in Victoria next week 😉

• Advertisement

Sounds like you are getting the excuses in early ahead of the whupping you're going to get in Victoria next week 😉

By "there" he means anywhere but the hole folks. Yip. Yip. Yip.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Back to normal.

Looking forward to a break , and a recap. I'm typically goal centric and will need a new goal.

Just out sort of enjoying the game - hardly counting the round at all , a very strange thing for me.

If I was to look at my game now I'd say.

Driving - better but inconsistent shape.
    Low to mid irons - very very good , maybe still OTT on most stuff, but in or around green.
    Short irons - big improvement but still weak
    Around greens and up and downs - big improvement
    Putting , big improvement on long stuff - weak on short
    Bunkers Maybe 6/10 (was 3/10) - too ambitious with long ones.
    Course MGMT Thanks to Boards for this, but the strongest part of my game. for me to go OOB - in water or lost - is rare. very. This would have been once or twice a round 2 years ago. Thank you so much Corballis too
    equipment I have got there somehow - I think I underestimated this part of the game.
    Mental I'm mental, so no real issue here - but say I was 1/10, I'm now maybe 5/10 - I lack real confidence. Not sure I'm made that way.
    commitment Was 10/10 - maybe about 8 now, this could be a real issue.

After all that - I know my game well - but if I was to sit down and go , how do I get to next level , I'd be - not sure yet.

I'd nearly say - I need someone , to grab me again and go - ok this is what you do next. Is that an external or internal thing ? Not sure yet.

Ok - a sea view and a malbec , could provide that vision.

Spent 6 hours on my game today - crazy , but a big break on way before real real season starts. So needed to wrap up the winter work.

Last lesson today for a while (well, I am actually thinking of getting, not a lesson - but a sort of NCT every 6 weeks - I made it clear to pro - that it was a check on Grip - Posture - alignment - making sure wide takeaway, all near perfect. Great news and takeaway position best I have ever had it. This is important to me - because I can end up OTT , before I start.

Then I worked on draw and fades - a new thing for me ( a bit mad for me to even consider this 2 years ago)

We moved onto driver - I have a problem with this , and had got a bit lost, how do I swing driver ?
    I've a psychological thing with the driver, I find it very hard to not mill it. If I try not to mill it , I feel all my timing is out. Over the last few weeks a bad slice had come back in.

We worked on slowing it down - we set up for a draw and placed the ball in a slightly more towards mid position (like photo of butch below) - making me drop inside more to hit it well. More 55% 45 % on weight. Was crazy towards right foot.

And bang , hit some of the best drives I have in ages - it was only 5 mins on driver , but I realised - I'm just too quick and crazy with it. Much work required , but got something out of it.

One of the best lessons I ever had, all in 40 mins - amazing. Delighted.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJPSmmzthRyZIclcKLk002iqTlAvcAMzCs5UvjW_y8kOQGhIV9zg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

pure brutal....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

One of the best lessons I ever had, all in 40 mins - amazing. Delighted.

You looked delighted alright when i bumped into you. We should compare lessons !!

J

• Advertisement

You looked delighted alright when i bumped into you. We should compare lessons !!

J
    I've a big match next month :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Game starting to come back driving well again, Season started so no more messing with the technical side of the game just grip it and rip it

Played a friendly for the Purcell against the Bruen within the club today. Lost 2and 1 giving us 3 shots. My golf is desperate, very disappointing as I was in the form of my life until I injured my finger.

Didn't hit one good iron or wood today, chipping and putting in good shape though. Heading to my first foreign golf holiday next week injured, have a feeling I'm out for 4-6 weeks afterwards. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Chipping is killing me again at the moment and that is with placing. Working on alignment as I have fallen back into my old setup. Hit 9 fairways and 11 greens so its working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Bad at the minute, Driving is good, Irons just feel off, hitting them well but just missing them left or right,heavy handed chipping, cant really tell putting, most greens ive played last few days have been very bad. Hopefully get out to practise bit more with spell of good weather forecast!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Gonna find out very soon, free sub from the back blues today, a lot of par 4's will not be reachable in 2 (not even close) and two Par 3's 200y+, counting competition conditions too! ha ha! first stroke competition in a year also! :confused::)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Played Arklow on Friday and Blainroe on Saturday bout very different courses and conditions very different aswell but the same faults appeared in my game on both courses.

Firstly decision making/course management is very poor, particularly when things start going against me I am losing the head.

Driving was excellent but it really is driving for show as I was at least 50 yards+ of the rest on the 4 ball all weekend yet they could get up and down from inside 30 yards yet it would take me 4/5 shots from there

3 wood inconsistent. Some really good strikes and then some duffs but could be attributed to trying to murder it (again decision making)

Long Irons again inconsistent some. 5 iron was poor 6 iron good and 7 iron ok.

8/9 Irons were good

Wedges - pulling left

Pitching - shocking - catching thin/fat

Chipping - poor

Bunker play - Horrendous nearly a scratch once I went into one, head was gone confidence in what I was doing was gone.

Putting - brutal - I was better from 15ft+ than I was from 5ft+ was stabbing at the ball and not following through and I knew I was doing it but still couldn't rectify it.

On the bright side my application for membership went in last week so should be through by the end of the week and I can start playing more regularly. For now a bit of chipping in the garden to get the confidence in connecting with the ball back and some work on the putting mat to start rolling the ball again!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

slave1 wrote: »
    Gonna find out very soon, free sub from the back blues today, a lot of par 4's will not be reachable in 2 (not even close) and two Par 3's 200y+, counting competition conditions too! ha ha! first stroke competition in a year also! :confused::)

...a day best forgotten, at least it didn't rain and the putting and driving was good but horrendous lies in the rough and bunkers killed me, stats best left alone on this one :o

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Down the range a few times during the week, hitting the ball nice, working on small grip changes, spent the week staring out the office window at the sun splitting the stones dying for a game...played yesterday at 9am in a competition and the course was closed by the time we got to the 2nd teebox due to the weather...never seen rain like it. By the time i had a shower and got home and had my breakfast the sun was shining again and it was perfect conditions, such is life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Made the silly decision of playing a council course that was £5 cheaper and 15 minutes closer to a "better" course", the greens were awful.
    I seem to have fully corrected my slice with the driver now, looks like my shape shot is a fade which i'm ok with for now, will try and turn into a draw with a few lessons.

Putting is improving, those greens above didnt help as it was impossible to hit on the line, with hairy greens and bobbles but I was happy enough with it.

Irons next on the list, not hitting anywhere near the number, also reintroducing my 60 degree Trusty Rusty too.

Left my last golf club and there's half a dozen of us on the move to a new shortly, so should be an exciting summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Singles matchplay qualifier last Sunday. Made it in with 37 points. Made final last year so was really trying hard to qualify.

Silly scratch on 14 which is not a tough hole unless you slice tee shot :rolleyes:

Everything felt average at best. Guess this is what happens when you go on a great run over the winter - beating your handicap by one seems like a let down. Feel like there is more in the tank but have to prove it as its a good while since the highs of Nov/Dec

Thank feck the long evenings are coming to hopefully build some momentum

Still waiting for that momentum. Got my first cut of the year first time out coming 4th in Nenagh with 36 points on a very tough day so decent start.

Since then it's only been casual games which have been hit and miss. Was hoping competition would sharpen the senses and the game but not to be. Played Ballykisteen Scratch Cup today in perfect conditions and was worst I've played in a long time.

Driving was good but that was about it. Everything else was way too inconsistent and it cost me. Managed a couple of birdies and a smattering of pars but too many big numbers. A far cry from the highs of Nov/Dec. Still early so plenty of time to get my mojo back. At least I know I have it in me.

Part of issue today was I was really looking forward to it. Perhaps a bit too much if you get me. Expectations are golfers kryptonite :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭slingerz

Was out this morning unfortunately I forgot to come home last night so a tired, hungover state is my excuse for playing absolutely cack and completely unpredictably

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭cgh

my game is in transition,

went to get lessons. my game was really bad, hitting everything right.
    so went for lessons.

was told my grip, setup, posture and swing were all wrong.

so 3 lessons later have a new swing.
    hitting the ball 15 meters further and have a really nice right to left on the ball now.

just need to practice now. as Im duffing far too many shots an my short game is poor as i tend to duff or overhit pitchs and chips.

but it is getting better,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

Having a mare lately only after having my best round ever less than 2 weeks ago! Think I tore a muscle in my chest a few weeks ago in the gym and I think its getting more sorer after each round. So laid of the practice a bit which is hard!

Really struggling with my irons to many thinned shots and duffed chips.... So lesson booked for Fri as I don't want to kill my momentum especially after all the work I but in over the Christmas! especially since the qualifying season has just started!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Lads, after a few years in the wilderness I'm back playing golf! The kids are now at an age where I can get out on a Sunday morning. On the down side, I have to hand in 3 cards and start from scratch again, on the positive side, the handicap secretary said he'll take into consideration my last handicap so I shouldn't have to start back at 18. (I was at 12 so 14-16 would be fair I think). Getting out for evening and weekend golf now for the past month and last night I hit the ball as good I have ever done. It's an amazing game when you're playing well.

The march to 9 begins!

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Loire wrote: »
    Lads, after a few years in the wilderness I'm back playing golf! The kids are now at an age where I can get out on a Sunday morning. On the down side, I have to hand in 3 cards and start from scratch again, on the positive side, the handicap secretary said he'll take into consideration my last handicap so I shouldn't have to start back at 18. (I was at 12 so 14-16 would be fair I think). Getting out for evening and weekend golf now for the past month and last night I hit the ball as good I have ever done. It's an amazing game when you're playing well.

The march to 9 begins!

Loire.

Where you playing out of ?

Loire wrote: »

The march to 9 begins!

Loire.

Welcome back Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Playing really well, can't wait for the next qualifying game. So the bit of work is paying off. Played scramble at weekend end. Managed to complete 5 holes with my own ball, which included 3 birds and an eagle and a par. Two of the birds were kick in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

A mixed bag at the moment.

I've gone back to having a driver in the bag, and seeing, on the whole, pretty positive results. Distance is well up with comparison to the Mini Driver with minimal impact on accuracy.

3wood & hybrids have been slightly pull draw of late. Not wild, but enough to find some trouble. Its tough being an old OTT guy convincing yourself to aim down the right!

Making good contact generally with my irons, but inconsistent ball flight (again a consequence of being almost between swings. Still not quite sure if I'm going to hit a draw or a fade with the mid irons for some reason)

Hitting plenty of greens with the scoring irons, but probably not hitting them close enough which is not yielding enough realistic birdie opportunities.

Short game is still showing the effects of not enough practice. Getting consistent contact, but just not getting pace good enough in general to make enough up & downs.

Putter is streaky. Overall quite confident over the short ones, but I've been very racy with my distance & lag putting in the last couple of weeks which is leaving me with 4 footers rather than 2 footers.

Perfect example of my game at the moment was the 14th in Castlewarden at the weekend. Hit a nice long slightly pushed draw off tee. Was left a couple of yards off the right edge of the fairway with about 115 yards in. Hit a wedge to about 15 feet pin high right. Proceeded to blast my birdie putt 5 feet past. Missed the 5 footer back, and hit it 3 feet long, which I then proceeded to lip out to make a 4 putt (haven't done that in a long time!!!) and walk off from an easy GIR with a double bogey. Then followed up on 15, 16 & 17 with 1 putts. And on par 5 18th, hit Drive, 22 Hybrid & wedge to about 10 feet, and 3 putted for bogey.

Inconsistent would be an understatement :o

Advertisement