Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭cjfitz

mike12 wrote: »
    What's different with his methods. Seems to disagree with peltz.

I'm not that familiar with Pelz"s theory but Sieckmann got his by studying videos of people like Seve. This interview explains his approach http://birdiebank.com/011-james-sieckmann-a-master-short-game-coach-to-various-players-on-the-pga-lpga-and-champions-tour-own-your-own-great-short-game/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SevesThreeIron

Played Mountrath yesterday in Laois. Some cracking holes. Had to laugh at the clubs left at the putting green, no sign of owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

Played Mountrath yesterday in Laois. Some cracking holes. Had to laugh at the clubs left at the putting green, no sign of owner.
    Note the "No Children" sign behind too.... ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Not getting out ass much as I want/need to and no time for practice can give me two totally different days but no (fingers crossed) disaster days in a good while now.

Last day in Rathcore I drove the ball quite well but my iron and wedge strike's were rubbish. Pretty sure it was ball position, catching short irons thin and mid/long irons heavy. The one good iron strike was when I tried to punch (back in stance etc) and it came out like a normal 7 if it did spin up playing into the wind.

Happy enough though to be honest

I've played two 9 holes in the past two weeks.
    Before that it was two rounds on the same course two years ago as I was basically carless from the end of that summer two years ago till February.

I generally shoot about +3 to +4 per hole.

Last week I don't think I had more than a 9 whereas today I had two 11s.
    I'm actually finding it hard to remember exact scores by not having a pen to hand so need to sort that.

My chips are really hurting me, I've spent a lot of time on the range but its not something you can practice so I guess ill just need to suck them up for a while and practice some on course on quiet days.

Also club selection is an issue which I guess just comes with time.

I did drive it well today which was a feat as I've rarely brought it to the range and only started hitting the odd 5/6 per session lately.
    I'm lacking a bit of distance but kept them all fairly straight and even bombed one fairly long.
    However I then had two absolute stinking drives on the 8th where I put it just a mile into the air and less than 100 down. I took a provisional(I could see it but wanted another shot) and did the SAME thing to the near exact same area, a bit deflating but I'm still adjusting to using it.

I have managed to get a par on each of the par 3s over the two rounds, one is covered by water to the back, left and front at 155 and the other is 200 so I can be happy about that.

Have never one putted with only the odd 2, I generally need 3 and generally need two from outside gimme range.

My proportion of scuffed shots is definitely lower than two years ago but I still have one or two per round that don't progress very far.

The aim is to get down to +2 per hole on the 4s in the next few months which should be achievable if I can get the hang of chipping/short pitches and cut down further on inconsistent connection shots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Game has come on quite a bit overall. Not a Seve yet but haven't duffed a chip in a while which makes a huge difference to the confidence and also to the score. Now my biggest problem is the difference between a good swing day and a bad swing day. On a good day my shots are quite nice and I find quite a few greens with my seconds, good solid contact and 'touch of draw'. But on a bad day it seems I tense up a bit and I'm struggling to square up the club face with mid/long irons. Short irons probably too but the effect is not quite as severe with them. Whole thing is probably compounded with alignment issues too. I tend to aim to the right if I'm not meticulous and on a day where concentration isn't quite there I either pull it left then or I shoot straight out slightly to the right possibly with a little open club face too.

On a good day I'm quite capable of shooting in around 40 or over if the putter behaves which it usually does. Putting probably being the strongest part of my game. On a bad day I will struggle to low/mid thirties. Overall not unhappy though. Low mid thirties is quite ok for a bad day. Dropped 2 shots this season to 15.9 and it feels I have another 2 or 3 shots in me without playing out of my skin. I'd probably be lower already if I hadn't had those chipping issues up until recently. I'd say I'd be considered a good forball partner this year. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The aim is to get down to +2 per hole on the 4s in the next few months which should be achievable if I can get the hang of chipping/short pitches and cut down further on inconsistent connection shots.

Have you thought about getting a short game lesson? They can be really helpful. And it's probably the area of the game where you can reclaim the most strokes in a relatively short period of time, like if you're taking 4 to get down from the side of the green you should be able to reduce that to 3 with some improvement in your chipping/pitching technique.

On my own game, I've played maybe 6 or 7 times so far this year, haven't broken 36 points yet, but have all been in the 32-35 point range so I feel I'm getting close. I don't think I've had less than two scratches per round so they really need to get off the card. I've been scoring well enough for long-ish stretches of rounds only to be killed by one or two really bad holes. I seem to be catching my longer clubs off the toe a lot which I really need to sort out. I'm struggling to keep my head still and my knees bent through the downswing so need to practice that.

Have you thought about getting a short game lesson?.

No but its definitely something ill bring up with the Pro at the next lesson.

Going to get at least two more.

I think I just need some of my own practice too as its grand getting a lesson but you need a bit of a try yourself first and as I said you cant replicate it on the range so I've had limited attempts thus far... I couldn't be anything but bad really.

Ye you need to practice. On the course or on the range but practice is required. Lessons alone are no good or else you just turn your lessons into supervised practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Only the 4th time iv got out to play this summer and on three of these occasions it's been terrible weather . So much for Summer Golf.

Played Lisheen Springs today and struggled to score 20 points of 18 , actually stopped marking in the end as the rain had the card destroyed.

Very frustrated with my game at the moment because I'm hitting the ball very well but just have no short game and my putting is embarrassing.

I really can't complain as I don't practice short game . I don't practice at all I just don't have the time with Work , Family life and now back to preseason training.

Next round I play I'll be switching my putter because I think its a mental issue at this stage . I wouldn't mind my putter wasn't cheap.

As far as chipping goes , I just lose my nerve when I'm on course. I can chip balls well enough pre round onto a practice green but first chip I have on course is bladed 30 yards or worse still duffed 5 yards in front of me. Don't get me wrong my chipping has started to get better but still no where near good enough.

Positives today . Only hit 2 bad drives in what was terrible conditions. And hitting irons 7to LW really well . Hit 4 greens in reg today but would of been better only for wrong club selection at least 4 times . One overhit green and 3 short .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I've been hanging around 90 for the last 4 rounds now (89/88/94 (links)/90), my slice has been brought back to a fade, but I have to really concentrate through the swing, any cockiness or lack of focus and it slices off again.
    Haven't been able to get to the range as much as I'd like, but I'm going to try and get out for lessons, to see if i can bring it back the whole way to a draw. Of the 12/13 drives I'd have per round, right now 2 are slicing, 3/4 go down the middle and the rest move slightly left to right.

My putting has been helped by the fact I've started marking the balls with lines and lining it up with what I perceive to be the line to the hole. Not making the putts all the time but I've noticed they're only stopping 1/2 feet away which is definitely helping the scores.

Still have plenty to work on with my irons and hybrid, the hybrid especially seems to take 2/3 shots per round to warm up to it, need something to work on this.

Defintely happier than I was this time last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Alignment is all over the place again. Haven't played much over the last month. Had QF during the week but although I was strucking everything really well, just missed too many greens on the wrong side. Distance control is really good, now back to work on the alignment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

playing great in casual rounds & absolutely shocking in competition so frustrating! Especially since I know I have the game to go lower! The mental side of this game really kills me! changed Pro's again so hopefully this works out first lesson went well anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Playing some terrible golf at the moment unfortunately. Recently became a full member of a club for the first time and I'm starting to wonder why I bothered. Strange though as I was a playing quite ok up until a month ago,but 5 real poor rounds in a row has sucked all confidence. Every shot becomes a mystery tour to see if I can find my ball. Lost 8 balls Saturday morning. Sick to the teeth of constantly looking for my ball. At the stage now were I don't bring any decent balls to the course as I know they won't be in the bag at the end. Frustrating.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Playing some terrible golf at the moment unfortunately. Recently became a full member of a club for the first time and I'm starting to wonder why I bothered. Strange though as I was a playing quite ok up until a month ago,but 5 real poor rounds in a row has sucked all confidence. Every shot becomes a mystery tour to see if I can find my ball. Lost 8 balls Saturday morning. Sick to the teeth of constantly looking for my ball. At the stage now were I don't bring any decent balls to the course as I know they won't be in the bag at the end. Frustrating.

My advise mate get a few lessons and find a good pro! Was in the same boat at start of year and got lessons really helped & got me loving the game again!

benny79 wrote: »
    My advise mate get a few lessons and find a good pro! Was in the same boat at start of year and got lessons really helped & got me loving the game again!

Yeah I might look to get a few lessons down the line. I've self taught myself the game so I'd like to think that I can figure out what's gone wrong.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Yeah I might look to get a few lessons down the line. I've self taught myself the game so I'd like to think that I can figure out what's gone wrong.

That's what has gone wrong. You need someone who knows what they're doing to give you a few pointers. The difference even 1 lesson can make is amazing

Funny thing I either get a load of pars and the odd birdie (my best was 10 this year) but have a couple of scratches in there or else I'm Mr. Steady with no scratches and a couple of doubles only, but I don't have many pars either. Ends up more or less the same score. If I could get a ton of pars and be steady on the rest I would actually threaten to break 80. Whats the story here? How do I improve this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I played on Sunday, it didn't go well.

I went through the round and nearly every problem I had was down to a bad drive or a bad mid/long iron. I didn't three putt, I didn't fluff any chips, all but one of my pitches were perfectly fine, but I duck hooked a couple of drives, bladed a couple of irons, duffed a couple more irons.

Really need to work on my ball striking. I made a thread about this not long ago but I'm still totally incapable of bringing my ball striking from the range onto the course. It's very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I played on Sunday, it didn't go well.

I went through the round and nearly every problem I had was down to a bad drive or a bad mid/long iron. I didn't three putt, I didn't fluff any chips, all but one of my pitches were perfectly fine, but I duck hooked a couple of drives, bladed a couple of irons, duffed a couple more irons.

Really need to work on my ball striking. I made a thread about this not long ago but I'm still totally incapable of bringing my ball striking from the range onto the course. It's very frustrating.

I had a problem like this with irons a while ago. I moved the ball back in my stance to make sure I was hitting the ball first. Then gradually moved the ball forward to where I wanted it once I was striking the ball.

• Advertisement

I was suffering with the same recently and had a lesson, was told for irons anyway it was my ball postion! 7I should be in center of stance than a inch either side with each other club Ie 8i inch right of center(if your right handed) 6i inch left of center and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Ben1977 wrote: »
    Alignment is all over the place again. Haven't played much over the last month. Had QF during the week but although I was strucking everything really well, just missed too many greens on the wrong side. Distance control is really good, now back to work on the alignment

How are you addressing the ball. Was reading an article about it recently, think it was in Golf Digest. Basically it was saying that if you look at the pros, they all take their alignment from behind the ball, they never align themselves from side on. Walk to it from behind, line up the clubface at the target, and then setting their body based on the clubface, or something to that effect.
    Boskowski wrote: »
    Funny thing I either get a load of pars and the odd birdie (my best was 10 this year) but have a couple of scratches in there or else I'm Mr. Steady with no scratches and a couple of doubles only, but I don't have many pars either. Ends up more or less the same score. If I could get a ton of pars and be steady on the rest I would actually threaten to break 80. Whats the story here? How do I improve this?

Do you know where you are losing the shots (off tee, putts, short game)?

Maybe you are thinking about your score too much. On my best rounds I tend not to know what I've scored at all. I'll know I'm playing well, but if I'm conscious of my score it almost always tends to change the way that I start to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

I've a bad habit of aligning the body to target. This is causing a lot of misses to the left and right. Have been working on picking a spot in front of the ball and aligning club face then body.
    But it's hard to teach new tricks to an old dog. When it's on song I'll hit 11 or 12 GIR.
    Just need to trust it, worked on it last night and the misses were a lot small.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

All over the shop. (as usual)

Not enough time to practice - and is showing.

Will get back to practice maybe in September. Not sure why my game is so sensitive to routine. Not great, as my scores can drift from in the 70s to mid to late 80s/90 if I take foot off pedal at all. I'm envious of these lads (if they do exist) who go out and play in mid 70s , at ease, without practice, every time.

A bad hook has come in - I think I need a trip to a pro. Would only be a slight adjustment , that is the one positive , a trip to a pro and I could fix things easier and quicker.

Also have hit my handicap target for season , and no real target at present.

Was thinking about a few things that I could work on, maybe next winter (sorry for using that word). Just some big ideas and longer term plan in formation at the moment.

I've no real fairway wood game - way too steep for them
    I'm still very very steep on irons. Need to take a little out of this.
    Still not always wide getting back - leads to an OTT swing
    I'm very poor outside of 100 % shots - this is a tempo issue - only a problem when in that 50 to 90 yard range - an important area.

Anyway - looking forward to plenty of golf from September to October.

That all sounds way too negative - I've had a brilliant season. Improved short game and putting a lot - but maybe let long game slip.

You can't expect to have it all - all the time. A fascinatingly brilliant and simultaneously frustrating game.

I do be too steep with my irons as well Fix and suffer with an OTT swing my new Pro gave me a tip with irons he said on your take away just brush the grass for about an inch or 2 behind the ball as you start take away. Simple but effective, works for me away :D

Back out again yesterday evening and definitely some signs of improvement. Still lost 7 golf balls but anyone who knows citywest will know that's entirely possible. I certainly don't hit the ball straight which is killing me. Seem to have developed a slight hook or fade? Not sure if that's even possible. Dropped around 10 shots all in. Not good. Hit a drive 320 yards on the 18th, one of my longest. Some cracking long irons into greens. Chipping and putting is best it's even been. Good in the sand. Off the tee is my big downfall. Trip to a pro is most definitely needed.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Kids back to School Thursday - can't wait :P:D

Have been getting out once / maybe if lucky twice a week - little or no practice. So hope to get back into a solid 2 months of golf in September and October.

When I have got out anything can happen - from a level par nine to a sudden run of 4/5 over in 4 holes. Was thinking why is this happening, and seriously need to examine Driver swing . Still way too aggressive and fast. Most of my game is a lot more controlled , but driver remains a bit crazy , disconnected and a very limited low delofted ball flight , that is a pull, and maybe worse.

Was thinking of a quick lesson - to check the basics.

Happy enough with almost everything else , wedges still only ok, but an improvement here this year.

Putting still strong. Odd flashback , but such is golf.

Feel I have one more low one in me this year. (near par)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I am in a weird position. My on course golf is really solid, shooting in the buffer and above regularly. More cuts than shots back. Gone from 12.4 to 9.8

But !!!

On the range I am hitting more shanks than good ones, petrified it's gonna follow me to the course. Can't explain it.

Lesson needed I think.

J

My game has turned around immensely since I changed Pro's(Again) & my summer slump, It really is hard to find a good Pro! Tee to green I'm hitting the ball very well. In the range I'm creaming everything even my 3 wood of the deck which I haven't been able to do in years!!! Just need to take it a bit more to the course but can see the signs already!

Unfortunately my short game has suffered as I've been putting the work in on my swing, Especially my putting which has been shocking but just need to put some work in on this & get more rounds under the belt. But feel my game is going in the right direction finally! Hoping to get to 15/16 before end of season just need everything to click & feel its not far away. Onwards and upwards. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

benny79 wrote: »
    My game has turned around immensely since I changed Pro's(Again) & my summer slump, It really is hard to find a good Pro! Tee to green I'm hitting the ball very well. In the range I'm creaming everything even my 3 wood of the deck which I haven't been able to do in years!!! Just need to take it a bit more to the course but can see the signs already!

Unfortunately my short game has suffered as I've been putting the work in on my swing, Especially my putting which has been shocking but just need to put some work in on this & get more rounds under the belt. But feel my game is going in the right direction finally! Hoping to get to 15/16 before end of season just need everything to click & feel its not far away. Onwards and upwards. :D

Who are you with now Benny79? You finished with Eoin then?

Advertisement