Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

I played my first game of the year on Friday and played awful which i expected, it reminded me why i haven't bothered playing all year but at the same time i feel i got the buzz back to get back out and start over again in the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

My game is great in general but my putting is poor. I've been experimenting with different grips to keep the face square at impact nothing seems to work. Strong arc and the face is closing up to 3 degrees according to my skypro.
    I have a putting mirror to try to get a correct set up each time; posture I'm unsure of does it depend on your lie angle of your putter?

Went to bed 12:30 last night practising in living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TLOA72

In simple words a complete shambles. Driving big slices snap hooks. Irons thin and fat. Putting no ability in judging pace. Thank god I won't be playing for two weeks.not going to watch, read or listen to anything golf related. Then lessons and start over but I am dammed if this game is going to make me give up on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Strike is still my biggest issue.

I go through weeks of flushing irons only to have a few weeks of trying to keep it away from the hosel.

I'm just going to get lessons, everytime I get back going something changes and I'm back to square one so I can never really improve my game, its just too erratic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I havent really had a chip and run shot in my armory for a long long time, so that's my goal for the winter, to develop one.

I was out tuesday evening playing a couple of holes and experimenting with chip and run shots, different clubs for doing it and i think I'm on to something. Depending on distance from the hole and type of shot required i was comfortably playing chip and run shots with any club from a 7-iron to a pitching wedge.

The trick will be whether i continue to use this in competition play, but I hope that I will :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

Rikand wrote: »
    I havent really had a chip and run shot in my armory for a long long time, so that's my goal for the winter, to develop one.

I was out tuesday evening playing a couple of holes and experimenting with chip and run shots, different clubs for doing it and i think I'm on to something. Depending on distance from the hole and type of shot required i was comfortably playing chip and run shots with any club from a 7-iron to a pitching wedge.

The trick will be whether i continue to use this in competition play, but I hope that I will :)

I am also putting some work in on this and am seeing the benefits!! and will continue to work hard on into the winter months. Only thing is you can only practice them on the course as the range is a total waste!

Only for my driving deserted me the weekend I would of had a great score! Typical of this game you practice one thing and something else goes!

But oh how we love it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

alxmorgan wrote: »
    So I won the semi-final. I shouldn't have. I was hit and miss and he should have put me away but he faltered at the wrong moments and I held on mainly due to getting 8 shots.

Since then my game has continued to be completely inconsistent. The 43 points seems a long time ago.

Played the final last Wed and to be honest I had zero expectations due to game being all over the place. I played as I had been. Went from birdieing the index 1 to knocking down drives to hand him holes. Lost 3 & 1 but to be fair he played super stuff. He lost a ball on 15 but for other 16 holes we played he was -1 off 9.

Played 4 ball better ball yesterday and I was woeful on the front 9. Partner had a pain in his back from carrying me. Then switch flipped and taking out the 17th (where I lost a ball off tee) I played the other 8 holes in level. Talk about a game of two halves. Mad stuff.

Year coming to a close as is regular golf due to family circumstances. Madness on the course, madness at home...all good :D

So we won the 4 ball better ball comp on the back 9 :D . As I say mad, mad game.

Week later I rocked up to Adare Manor (small one) for an open singles. Wedge par 3 to start. Hit front of green, pin at back, 3 putt for a point. 2 is a tough drive and it proved to be as I lost ball right. Scratch.
    3 is a handy par 5. Good tee shot. Pulled hybrid second and got a poor bogey.

Terrible start for 3 points after 3 with two of the handiest holes out of the way. Chipped in for bird on 4 and that kicked started me. 19 on the front and 22 on the back for 41 and 3rd place.

Cut to 11.4 for my lowest handicap ever of 11. Monday headed to open in Ballykisteen hunting for an ESR and a shot at single figures. Conditions were truly awful. Pissing rain and howling wind. 4-5 club wind at times.

Going well and had 24 pts for 12 holes. Given conditions that was strong scoring. Went to pro shop at that point (was closed when we started) and my fears were realised as was told there was no comp :(

Disappointed to miss out on my shot at the ESR. Season was drifting to a boring end but this gave me something to shoot for.

Got cut first qualifying comp of the season. And what may prove to be last qualifying comp of the season. Most of the stuff in between was forgettable unfortunately.

I guess though at a macro level year looks good:
    * Won a comp
    * Hit lowest handicap ever
    * Made final of singles matchplay
    * Played ACC again and shot my handicap 2 of the 3 days in very tough conditions
    * First hole in one

Of course being a golfer we are always looking at what might have been and disappointed with a lot of the stuff in there. Never happy are we ;) ...well I am actually. Nice way to finish the season really :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭slingerz

Finished the year off my lowest actual handicap yet. 13.9 from 14.4, had risen to 14.7 and dropped to 13.7 through the year

One my first medal competition this year, made the Purcell team but lost our match. Won my first ever club match play match but was beaten well by eventual winner in quarter final.

Have started working on my game already, putting lessons have begun and seeing an improvement on that in the SAM at least. Another few should see huge improvement hopefully. Have purchased some practice aids in the form of a mat and alignment sticks. Wondering if a putting mirror will be another investment.

Also, signed up to a golf game health check course which is going to review my game in its entirety. Can afford the time to make the range these days so want to make the most of that.

2016 aims are to get to single figures, play and win my Purcell match and win the club match play. Also want to get to more scratch cups in my area and some of the bigger ones like Ballybunion, Tralee etc.

slingerz wrote: »
    Also, signed up to a golf game health check course which is going to review my game in its entirety..

What's this about? Is it done with your local Pro or something?

Sounds interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭slingerz

benny79 wrote: »
    What's this about? Is it done with your local Pro or something?

Sounds interesting.

yea local Pro is offering it. Full review of all aspects of the game and you get the feedback on what to improve over the winter. He has a series of lessons then over 8 weeks where he breaks down the individual elements. Already getting putting lessons so i think this add on could give me a big boost

Also includes a course management walk through for the individual player which would be a big help for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Due to not getting out on a course with the weather my wedges are not really where I'd like them to be.

Driver is pretty good if not terribly long but I am finding more fairways.

Irons are getting back to where I had them last year, feel like I can really go at them again and it's showing in the shots I pull off.

Putter is good but still miss some silly ones

Gamegolf suggests I could gain on 10-30ft putts.If I can bring my average drives up in distance on holes ( hoping summer weather will help here) and my approach shots which can be quite poor to be fair.

So I'm going to work on mid-long irons strike more so than aim, driver distance and putting/chipping green

If the last two games were comps I feel I could easily get a cut from the 22HC ( 49 and 45pts I think)

Now I can look back on this post in a few days/weeks and wonder where it all went wrong :D

I think my game is in good shape as it happens just need more game time and practise especially on short chips and pitches.

I took a break over the Christmas (due to bad weather & been sick) so only starting to get back into it and I started were I left off :)

Had a lesson 2 weeks ago and my coach was well impressed since I hadnt hit a ball in nearly 8 weeks. just 1 minor issue dropping my left knee on back swing causing me to lose height which in turn causes a low bad hook or a slice. But been working on it and seen the results! Smashed 12 drives out of 13 yesterday on the winter course!! Feeling really confident about the year ahead ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

My game has gone full circle already this year.

Started the year driving the ball well off the tee, hybrid and long irons were consistent but wedge play was very poor.

Done some practice chipping and pitching and spent some time on the putting green

Now my putting is very good, wedge play and club selection around the green greatly improved but my long game has disowned me. Started duck hooking off the tee a while back and can't seem to get rid of it. Haven't hit my hybrid well for weeks and really struggling with my irons below an 8.

Pulling my irons to the right constantly is really frustrating. It's high time for a lesson or two.

I'm still scoring well in competitions mainly due to my biggest strength right no... My scrambling. Surprisingly I'm starting to get up and down quite a bit, putting has been strong all year.

Now if I could putt it all together on the one day!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Gotta love this game and how everything changes from one day/round to the next. I played Rosslare yesterday morning and couldn't sink a putt for 18 holes. Had a father&son matchplay at Greystones in the afternoon and sank every putt from inside 15 feet. Every. Single. One.

As Cliff would say... "What's up with that!" (That's a Cheers reference, if you're wondering)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Handicap Rise

Gone
    Lost
    tierd
    Sad

emotional
    forgotten
    useless
    bad

blurry
    bitter
    brutal
    Balls

Shank
    Topped
    Skied
    Pushed

Hopeless
    Hapless
    Helpless
    Help

Retire
    Resolve
    Retry
    Retry.

The End.

Game is gone.

your never to old or to good for a lesson Fix ;)

benny79 wrote: »
    your never to old or to good for a lesson Fix ;)

Mocking is catching. :D

Handicap Rise

Gone
    Lost
    tierd
    Sad

emotional
    forgotten
    useless
    bad

blurry
    bitter
    brutal
    Balls

Shank
    Topped
    Skied
    Pushed

Hopeless
    Hapless
    Helpless
    Help

Retire
    Resolve
    Retry
    Retry.

The End.

Game is gone.

You must be lifting your head!

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Game is gone.

No way, you played some great shots today, I think it's a course that at the moment does just not suit you.

I was thinking afterwards that if we made you keep the driver in the bag that you could score quite well.

Greens were tough today fast and hard, never easy when playing in a wind

J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Handicap Rise

Gone
    Lost
    tierd
    Sad

emotional
    forgotten
    useless
    bad

blurry
    bitter
    brutal
    Balls

Shank
    Topped
    Skied
    Pushed

Hopeless
    Hapless
    Helpless
    Help

Retire
    Resolve
    Retry
    Retry.

The End.

Game is gone.

You forgot Pulled & Hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Starting to get back into the swing of things this past month. Took a 5 month break and enjoyed not playing, still great to be back all the same.

Haven't had a cut in nearly a year now and HC has drifted to 13.5. Not where I want to be but hoping to sort that out over the coming months.

Game is in ok shape. When I'm playing well I'm playing very well but I'm having way too many disaster holes during a round. Consistency is killing me, I'm consistently having 4+ blanks.
    Think I had 4 today and had 30 points in Portmarnock. I had 6 last weekend and 29 points.

The mental game is probably my biggest challenge at the moment. My good golf sees me score big but my bad sees me score nothing. Turning those scratches into saves needs to be the focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

PARlance wrote: »
    Starting to get back into the swing of things this past month. Took a 5 month break and enjoyed not playing, still great to be back all the same.

Haven't had a cut in nearly a year now and HC has drifted to 13.5. Not where I want to be but hoping to sort that out over the coming months.

Game is in ok shape. When I'm playing well I'm playing very well but I'm having way too many disaster holes during a round. Consistency is killing me, I'm consistently having 4+ blanks.
    Think I had 4 today and had 30 points in Portmarnock. I had 6 last weekend and 29 points.

The mental game is probably my biggest challenge at the moment. My good golf sees me score big but my bad sees me score nothing. Turning those scratches into saves needs to be the focus.

Feel your pain. My game is very similar.
    34 points tonight which includes 3 blanks and 3 1 pointers.
    When I kept it in play off the tee I was scoring well.
    Not even a driver issue. Got into trouble while trying to play smart with hybrids and 3 woods as well.

Game is in there - just gotta dig it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Very happy with my game.

That might change next week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

PARlance wrote: »

I was gonna write my own update but that pretty much covers me too

I feel my game is very good even if I'm not getting the results. My best is very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Handicap Rise

Gone
    Lost
    tierd
    Sad

emotional
    forgotten
    useless
    bad

blurry
    bitter
    brutal
    Balls

Shank
    Topped
    Skied
    Pushed

Hopeless
    Hapless
    Helpless
    Help

Retire
    Resolve
    Retry
    Retry.

The End.

Game is gone.
    Have you tried moving your loose change from your right pocket to your left, it'll help you with your weight transfer:pac:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Played Rathdowney with my local society on Saturday and had a mare. 25 points. Too many scratches and too many 3 putts on the green. Off the tee I was pretty good, an example, the third in Rathdowney was 315 yards to the middle of the green. Hit my driver, walked to my ball, only 60 yards left. Chipped up to the green and the ball rolled off the back of the green, chipped back and ended up 3 putting for a 6 :o
    I think a couple of short game lessons are required.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Can someone explain to me, where does the 3 wood come into your game? I don't have one and I don't feel I'm missing one, but that could be cause I'm not fully sure what it's purpose is. I've a reasonable drive and go at every par 4/5 with it. The par 4's I can usually put myself in position for a 7 iron or higher. And the 5's I usually go with the rescue-hybrid. Does the rescue do the same job as a 5wood or am I missing a good club to have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Spoiler: This video has use of the S word in it

Kinda how my swing feels like right now ;)

Advertisement