Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

delaney001 wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me, where does the 3 wood come into your game? I don't have one and I don't feel I'm missing one, but that could be cause I'm not fully sure what it's purpose is. I've a reasonable drive and go at every par 4/5 with it. The par 4's I can usually put myself in position for a 7 iron or higher. And the 5's I usually go with the rescue-hybrid. Does the rescue do the same job as a 5wood or am I missing a good club to have?

Doesn't sound like you're missing it. I just have a driver and 3h in my bag.

Supposedly, the 3 wood is a safer club (vs Driver) for short - medium par 4s and when you're 270 yards out on the 16th in the Irish Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

PARlance wrote: »
    You forgot Pulled & Hooked.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Following on from the question about 3 woods... I only carry 12 clubs.

Driver, 3 wood (2)
    4iron - pitching wedge (7)
    56, 60 degree (2)
    Putter (1)

There's obviously a big enough gap between the 4 iron and 3 wood so that would be a prime spot for a new club, but there's so much out there now. Driving irons, long irons, hybrids, 5 woods... what to go for is the question? I'm thinking a 5 wood but I don't see that many people carrying them, is there some reason for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭CarlowPerth

First Post: Played golf since I was young but hadn't the mental side of things nailed at all. Would have been a 18-22 handicapper. Hurt my back in 2012 and was told to give up all sports including running and did. Sought another opinion and surgeon told me some golf would be fine just no contact sports. Went back thinking I'm just lucky to be playing and i love golf even more for that. Average round is 85-87 now and improving all the time. Handicap of 16 at the mo but only play comp once a month so might not be accurate reflection.

Hoping to hit 13 in 2016.....Lessons only way to go. If you keep making the same mistake it means the information stored in your head is not strong enough to fix it....get some new ideas from a pro and get better!!

Following on from the question about 3 woods... I only carry 12 clubs.

Driver, 3 wood (2)
    4iron - pitching wedge (7)
    56, 60 degree (2)
    Putter (1)

There's obviously a big enough gap between the 4 iron and 3 wood so that would be a prime spot for a new club, but there's so much out there now. Driving irons, long irons, hybrids, 5 woods... what to go for is the question? I'm thinking a 5 wood but I don't see that many people carrying them, is there some reason for that?

5 wood distance is probably being covered by a 3 hybrid for most? With the hybrid being viewed as an easier club to hit potentially.

I would be more worried about the gap between your PW and 56*. There's a big gap there of 8-11* depending on the loft of your PW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

5 wood distance is probably being covered by a 3 hybrid for most? With the hybrid being viewed as an easier club to hit potentially.

I would be more worried about the gap between your PW and 56*. There's a big gap there of 8-11* depending on the loft of your PW.

You're right, a quick Google is telling me it's 11 degrees. It's an interesting one because I haven't felt this is a huge problem. So I guess I should consider something like a 52 degree or 50 degree if there is such a thing.

Might get something there and then a hybrid or 5 wood.

Edit - only problem is I'm having trouble finding the same model of wedge I use in 50 degree, which would be the ideal. Guess I'll go with something similar, won't be the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

I am just returning to the game after a six month break. I got down to 10.5 last year playing steady golf. What I have noticed since I returned is that my alignment is way off, causing me to hook the ball. I think for amateurs the fundamentals of Grip, Aim, Stance and Posture are even more important than for pros. I know I'll never swing like Rory so concentrating on getting the fundamentals right allied to a good short game enables me to get the best out of what I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭slingerz

Played Purcell yesterday. Won our first match on the 20th. Were 3 down with 5 to play but 3 birdies took us on to extra holes. My putting really came good for those holes and even sank the winning putt for par on 20th

Lost our second match on the 17th when my partners putt lipped out. A game of inches!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Going the right direction lately but my putting from about 6 to 8 feet is killing me. Long putting isn't too bad and I don't miss the short ones it's just that distance that's doing the damage.

I go through stages of holing a few and my confidence builds then I miss a few and my confidence is shot again.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Doesn't sound like you're missing it. I just have a driver and 3h in my bag.

Supposedly, the 3 wood is a safer club (vs Driver) for short - medium par 4s and when you're 270 yards out on the 16th in the Irish Open.

I find 3 wood a good option off the tee on a tight hole, where my priority is to keep the ball on the fairway or at least in play. Tend to hit the ball straighter, and not too much shorter than the driver when I hit it well (when...). Also gives me the longest hit off the fairway e.g. for second shot on par 5. All depends on your game, how you feel about different clubs at different times.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Driving and woods are pretty good, hardly ever in trouble and probably the strongest part of my game at the moment. Irons not as good as that but pretty serviceable and in places even better than that. So thats grand enough.
    Putting is usually my strongest point but needs some practice as it's become inconsistent. Really good spells with putting can suddenly be interrupted by a couple of lazy three putts for no reason.
    Chipping is in absolute tatters and costs me 5 shots per round easily. Like I scratched a par 4 today just a couple of inches from off the fringe in 2 on a par 4 :eek:. Which is a reoccurring theme with me when I'm thinking back over the last two seasons. I booked a chipping lesson today but that won't actually happen until I come back from some travelling early June. Well better late than never.

A mixed bag so far this year and I know I need to put some work into it. 4 .1s and a mini .3 cut means I'm treading water so I feel if I cleaned up my chipping I'll be heading for a cut or two. Which right now feels a little frustrating but not hopeless, there's enough there to build on, just gotta do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Boskowski wrote: »
    Driving and woods are pretty good, hardly ever in trouble and probably the strongest part of my game at the moment. Irons not as good as that but pretty serviceable and in places even better than that. So thats grand enough.
    Putting is usually my strongest point but needs some practice as it's become inconsistent. Really good spells with putting can suddenly be interrupted by a couple of lazy three putts for no reason.
    Chipping is in absolute tatters and costs me 5 shots per round easily. Like I scratched a par 4 today just a couple of inches from off the fringe in 2 on a par 4 :eek:. Which is a reoccurring theme with me when I'm thinking back over the last two seasons. I booked a chipping lesson today but that won't actually happen until I come back from some travelling early June. Well better late than never.

A mixed bag so far this year and I know I need to put some work into it. 4 .1s and a mini .3 cut means I'm treading water so I feel if I cleaned up my chipping I'll be heading for a cut or two. Which right now feels a little frustrating but not hopeless, there's enough there to build on, just gotta do it.
    Eh, halow, putter!!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

As whofarted said, Putter. Or maybe even try a rescue club/5 wood from off the edge of the green. Use it like a putter. You won't have to take a big back swing and you can just bump it a long the ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Eh, halow, putter!!!.

I know, I think I didn't make myself clear enough. I wasn't 2 inches off the green on the fringe. I was 2 inches off the fringe in the rough. Ball was sitting down a little too. Had I tried to get a putter to that it would have been just as unpredictable.
    At the same time it should have been the most straightforward little chip. I may actually have the chipping yips.

I know, I think I didn't make myself clear enough. I wasn't 2 inches off the green on the fringe. I was 2 inches off the fringe in the rough. Ball was sitting down a little too. Had I tried to get a putter to that it would have been just as unpredictable.
    At the same time it should have been the most straightforward little chip. I may actually have the chipping yips.

I have started to use this technique for those shots recently. It's easier than it may sound, the bladed wedge.

https://youtu.be/l7i5p3xB21Q

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

I have a 7 wood for these shots works an absolute treat. Nudges up and out of the rough and gets it rolling at the pin ASAP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Seems like as good a place as any for my first post....

After years of dodging, I finally bit the golf bullet.

Last Saturday week was my first time on the range. Managed to get a few practice days in ahead of my first round in Elmgreen on Thursday.

Went around in something like 128... managed two pars (don't ask how), and then pulled off a 9 on one of the par 3s to ruin everything :D

Only playing a 3 iron off the par 4/5 tees because it's about the only "big" club I can hit straight consistently.

I'll plough on and see what happens. Got 9/12 holes today, 18 Thursday and 18 again on Friday so heopfully will have some better scores to report this week!

Next step, lessons.

Any wisdom the experienced hands have to bestow on a raw beginner would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Hanley wrote: »
    Seems like as good a place as any for my first post....

After years of dodging, I finally bit the golf bullet.

Last Saturday week was my first time on the range. Managed to get a few practice days in ahead of my first round in Elmgreen on Thursday.

Went around in something like 128... managed two pars (don't ask how), and then pulled off a 9 on one of the par 3s to ruin everything :D

Only playing a 3 iron off the par 4/5 tees because it's about the only "big" club I can hit straight consistently.

I'll plough on and see what happens. Got 9/12 holes today, 18 Thursday and 18 again on Friday so heopfully will have some better scores to report this week!

Next step, lessons.

Any wisdom the experienced hands have to bestow on a raw beginner would be much appreciated.
    Best of luck with the golf. Be ready for a roller-coaster. Only advice I could give now is to forget about counting your scores or what you shoot for a while until you get a feel for it.

poteen wrote: »
    Best of luck with the golf. Be ready for a roller-coaster. Only advice I could give now is to forget about counting your scores or what you shoot for a while until you get a feel for it.

That's ominous!!!!

If it's anything like lifting weights the first couple of weeks and months will be great, and then the multi year grind starts....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Hanley wrote: »
    That's ominous!!!!

If it's anything like lifting weights the first couple of weeks and months will be great, and then the multi year grind starts....

Definitely get a couple of lessons to start, once you pick up bad habits it takes 10 times as much effort and concentration to get rid of them again. You should be able to get a discount on a lesson package of 3 or 4 lessons and try and space them out every few weeks to give yourself plenty of time to practice what you've been taught previously.
    If you were at the range at Elmgreen then I'm presuming the location is convenient so could be a good place for lessons also, think they do group lessons which while not as beneficial are more cost effective. Also get a lesson or two on the short game (chipping and putting) as often new players just focus on the long game.
    Starting on the right path with proper technique and fundamentals will save you years of frustration and torture and you'll see progression much faster. All the best on the new path, you're certainly hitting it at a great time weather wise, can't beat it on an early sunny morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Out in Corballis in the sun - stunning stuff.

Worst game of golf in 5 years - had 5 pars , yes 5 pars.

Lost about 6/7 balls.

Game is fully gone - still enjoyed it.

Every hacker and German from Bavaria out there - I felt totally at home amongst my type of golfers - but I'm not german.

Hopefully just a moment that will pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Was going so well over last month. Had a great lesson recently and went from average round of 105 to 95. Straightened the drives and sorted the chipping was the main source of the improvements. Started to actually use the 51 and 56 wedge. Went out yesterday in the sun in Rathdowney, started with some of the best shots I'd say I've genuinely ever played. Drove the green on the par 4 3rd, and proceeded to 3 putt for par. But was happy enough with the par (playing off 18). Then hit a good drive followed by an 8 iron to 12 ft at the 4th, proceeded to 4 putt that one for 6. It went on that way till back 9, good driving shocking putting. Think I then lost a ball each at 9,10,11,13. Wanted to call it a day at that but father inisisted we finish the round. Thankful after that we did as had a few reasonable holes near the finish.
    But I really am not sure where I'm going wrong. Last week I had 5 pars and 2 scratches. Week before a birdie, 3 pars and 2 scratches. I know inconsistency is the curse of every amateur but I seem to be consistently inconsistent (if you've ever read a sillier statement). I always have the few blow up holes. I usually just drink a bottle of water and maybe a small bar and I'm wondering is it fatigue or mental tiredness that's ruinning reasonable rounds. Anyone any advise.

Definitely get a couple of lessons to start, once you pick up bad habits it takes 10 times as much effort and concentration to get rid of them again. You should be able to get a discount on a lesson package of 3 or 4 lessons and try and space them out every few weeks to give yourself plenty of time to practice what you've been taught previously.
    If you were at the range at Elmgreen then I'm presuming the location is convenient so could be a good place for lessons also, think they do group lessons which while not as beneficial are more cost effective. Also get a lesson or two on the short game (chipping and putting) as often new players just focus on the long game.
    Starting on the right path with proper technique and fundamentals will save you years of frustration and torture and you'll see progression much faster. All the best on the new path, you're certainly hitting it at a great time weather wise, can't beat it on an early sunny morning.

Both Elm Green and Fingal Golf Centre are super convenient (we live out beside the airport). Any idea of the coaching at both locations and which I should go for?

I don't mind doing some privates, it's exactly what I do to make money in another industry anyway so I "get it" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Not good at all, finding it hard to fully concentrate for the 18 holes. Got to the 13th and then the brain just switched off. Probably need a break for a week or 2. Have had a couple of lessons that went well and I've improved, I think. Suppose I should work on my pre shot routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭CarlowPerth

Have invested in new clubs and lessons recently and really starting to pay off. Finished 2nd in outing last weekend with 37 points. Scratched 3 holes and lost by a point but can't be frustrated with how I play. Went out Yesterday and shot my best score in a long long time, 12 greens in reg...again delighted but didn't make a birdie. But when this game goes well its such good fun!!

35 points in captains at the weekend.

A scratch and 5 singles did the damage. Managed some out of this world shots with some that don't require talking about.

When I put it all together it will be a good day

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

slingerz wrote: »
    35 points in captains at the weekend.

A scratch and 5 singles did the damage. Managed some out of this world shots with some that don't require talking about.

When I put it all together it will be a good day
    Correction, that'll be a great day:) any day you play in and around you HC is a good day:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭one man clappin

The saying "The more you play the better you get" certainly does not ring true for me.
    I probably played too much at the weekend, played Rathdowney in a classic on Saturday and played with a friend of mine on Sunday. Played reasonable enough. However played Dundrum yesterday and had one of the worse rounds ever. Blocking shots, lost 5 balls, 3 putting etc. But then proceeded to hit a great drive on 17 and 18 that will keep me coming back for more punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

finished even on a V-Par at Grange Castle on Sunday. Near perfect conditions, the ball was going a mile with a tail wind. Managed to clock in a few 300+ drives. Played okay, started well - was 2 up after three holes. Down 1 after 8 then 3 up after 11. Was 2 up standing on the 17th and ended up even so bad end to the round. 17th was a good strike which the wind took and it bounced left, lipped out on my par putt. While the 18th was just a brain dead moment going OB on second shot.

even still happy to hit even par playing off 12. I feel there is a low round in there somewhere

• Advertisement

Correction, that'll be a great day:) any day you play in and around you HC is a good day:pac::D

You are quite correct but to be honest i think there is 4 shots that i could take off my handicap and play to really with just a small bit of cop on and course management. Not entirely course management as some improving on putting/short game needs to happen also but its not far away. And that is the frustrating thing!!

Advertisement