Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSPA+ speed query - is 300kbps really 'acceptable' ?

Options
  • 14-06-2013 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

I don't want this moved back to the Three forum as I am already discussing this with their customer care team, but I would like to compare my speed results with people on other networks.

I moved over to 3 and I have been getting absolutely ridiculously bad speeds.
    Last few speed tests (all in full HSPA+)

171 kbps
    1511 kbps
    235 kbps
    872 kbps
    1709 kbps
    710 kbps

I tested the signal strength etc on the handset, a HTC One, and it's definitely not a handset or reception issue.

I reported all this via their forum and got a call back from their executive care team who basically told me that this was completely normal and that if I was getting speeds over 300 kbps that that was all they could guarantee!!!

I am absolutely kicking myself that I am now stuck in a contract with this useless network. I should have done more research first.

The speed's often so slow that web pages time out and I can't use Spotify (which I could on my previous network).

I tried Tesco mobile which wasn't great, but at least the speeds were usually between 1 and 2.5mbit/s most of the time and everyone was complaining about those online. On Meteor I was getting over 3mbit/s all the time and often a lot higher speeds than that.

Is 300kbps really acceptable?

I was sold all this utter nonsense about how they'd 'the most advanced HSPA+ network in Ireland' and that it was capable of speeds of up to 21mbit/s

I feel I've been taken for a complete fool now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Try changing the server your pinging it can make a huge difference on speed. You might get areas where there is congestion but it shouldn't be that bad all the time. Some of those speeds are 1.5mb /1.7mb. that's not that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭enigmatical

The >1mbit/s tests are the exceptions and it's all in perfect HSPA+ coverage.

I've tried lots of servers and those are the ones that are getting the lowest ping times (also over 200ms)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

I get between 7Mb/s - 15Mb/s on HSPA+ with Three.Maybe your local mast is overloaded with too many customers.Try test it at a time when the network isnt in peak hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭enigmatical

jay93 wrote: »
    I get between 7Mb/s - 15Mb/s on HSPA+ with Three.Maybe your local mast is overloaded with too many customers.Try test it at a time when the network isnt in peak hours.

What part of the country are you getting those kinda of speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

1500kbps Galway city. Tested just now using speed test app.
    Tested a minute later. 3700...

Fickle

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

I got told exactly the same thing when I rang a few months back. I told then their speeds were laughable and I was only getting .4mbps and they said .3mbps is actually acceptable.

I asked them why they advertise themselves as a third generation network and the most advanced network when their speeds are reminiscent of 1999 dial up and the phone mysteriously went dead.

I'm counting down my days to the 13th of July so I can run as fast as I can to meteor or emobile.

They have also been ringing me at least daily from 051595123 to try to get me to upgrade and it's gotten so ridiculous that I've had to block the number.

I feel for you with so long left in your contract.

Advertisement