Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have a dog licence?

• 14-06-2013 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

2 years ago I got a knock at the door which turned out to be the Dog warden looking to see if I had a dog and if so a licence.

Yes I did and no I didn't, no problem he said, €12.70 on the spot and I had a licence.

I heard about the Fine going up to €100 last week, I had forgotten to get one last year, do you get reminders and has anyone had a visit recently from the warden?

Last year 190,000 licences were bought for a dog population estimated around 700,000 probably a lot more.

So do you have a licence?

Maybe we could have a poll?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Have a dog - forgot to renew licence though (until I read your post).
    Never had a warden visit. I think it was only about €5 when I last bought it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I don't think many people are going to admit to not having a licence on the internet, with the fine now being €100 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Have a dog - forgot to renew licence though (until I read your post).
    Never had a warden visit. I think it was only about €5 when I last bought it.

Neither had I, A friend living about a mile away had told me she had a visit a couple of days before so I had meant to get one but wasn't lop of my to do list.
    €20 isn't much but people's belts are tight at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

muddypaws wrote: »
    I don't think many people are going to admit to not having a licence on the internet, with the fine now being €100 :)
    Well short of the local dog warden reading this thread AND connecting a user name (which is recommended not to be your real name) AND your address that you live at I'd say it's about as safe to admitt it now as before the increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

Yes I have one, not that expensive I think.easy enough to pop into the local post office and get one. Harder to enforce than the tv licence I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    Well short of the local dog warden reading this thread AND connecting a user name (which is recommended not to be your real name) AND your address that you live at I'd say it's about as safe to admitt it now as before the increase.

I think you'd be very surprised. There have been instances of people with RB dogs arranging to meet up on here and other sites, and then dog wardens turning up to check that the dogs are all muzzled. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

We got ours when we heard the fine was going up just to be on the safe side. Kept meaning to do it but we had him a year before we got round to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Does anyone know why we have licences for dogs but not, say cats, or horses?

I think you'd be very surprised. There have been instances of people with RB dogs arranging to meet up on here and other sites, and then dog wardens turning up to check that the dogs are all muzzled. :)

Sounds a bit far fetched.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

There's a difference between posting "Lets all meet up at park XYZ on Wednesday at 10pm" and "I don't have a dog license" in terms of catching someone though :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Kukey

Yes I have two dog licences.Dog Warden always around my area and was calling into houses around here last year.

nudger wrote: »
    Sounds a bit far fetched.

yep, you're right, I'm lying, this didn't happen at all. :rolleyes: Funnily enough, most, if not all, of the posters who were involved don't post in this forum anymore.

Bummer! Can't buy one online!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

Yes have a licence for each of my dogs. I actually think it's not easy to get it at a post office - when I was getting it there, it was always lapsed as the PO opened only when I was at work and closed for the same lunch hour I had. However, I now get online and it's brilliant.

You should be reminded when the licence expires. This year I wasn't notified, but had a good idea when it was due. I had some issues with the website and contacted Cork CoCo to say this and also asked if I should have been notified. The problem resolved itself and a few days later they did ring me and she said I should have been notified and she didn't know why I wasn't.

The other licence is up in next few weeks and it'll be interesting if I'm notified.

We haven't ever been checked.

spur wrote: »
    Yes have a licence for each of my dogs. I actually think it's not easy to get it at a post office - when I was getting it there, it was always lapsed as the PO opened only when I was at work and closed for the same lunch hour I had. However, I now get online and it's brilliant.

Where online did you buy it? The anpost website says to go to local Post Office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

You can buy them online for Cork County Council - not sure how many other councils have this facility.
    (You can only get for addresses in Cork)

If you are living in Cork, go to Cork County council's website and down the left there are lots of icons - on the 2nd page there is one for dog licences - system is called iMadra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Where online did you buy it? The anpost website says to go to local Post Office

You buy from you local council:

http://www.gov.ie/services/buy-a-dog-licence/

Thanks folks. Am in Cork City, so I think I will have to go to the Post Office - my area isn't listed in the County Council website...obviously the City Council not as techno competent as the County one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭granturismo

Thanks folks. Am in Cork City, so I think I will have to go to the Post Office - my area isn't listed in the County Council website...obviously the City Council not as techno competent as the County one!

My Council isnt listed on that link either but it is possible to buy the dog license on the council website, so check Cork City's website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

y

Blimey!! There's me thinking the dog wardens of Ireland were rushed off their feet picking up the strays, only 1 warden for the whole of our county !!

My Council isnt listed on that link either but it is possible to buy the dog license on the council website, so check Cork City's website.

Thanks granturismo....but Cork City Council sending me to the Post Office (therefore, probably won't happen for a while, as am working and the post office closes between 1-2pm!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Thanks granturismo....but Cork City Council sending me to the Post Office (therefore, probably won't happen for a while, as am working and the post office closes between 1-2pm!)

What about Saturdays? PO's open until 12.

What about Saturdays? PO's open until 12.

True...will try that

Well it seems like we are a compliant lot here on Boards, good to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I have 3 - 20 each does add up and thanks for reminding me the renew date is on its way ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

nudger wrote: »
    Well it seems like we are a compliant lot here on Boards, good to hear.

I'd put it down to non compliant people who don't see the point of posting for fear of a lecture.

I have one for my current dog. Don't plan on getting one for the next dog who's coming soon. Government has enough of my money. And IRL I know more people who don't than do. Which is quite annoying.

Either everyone should have one or no-one should have one. The enforcement is sh*t. We were called to and so was my friend. We showed our licence. My friend just didn't answer the door.

If everyone paid it would be more like €4 a licence in theory. But the government would just leave it as is anyway. We are just a money source to them.

It hard to see the point when so few have one. 19 out of every 70 dogs. Or 73% of dogs are unlicensed. I'd rather give an extra €40 a year to the Guide Dogs tbh.

Also a quick search of dog licence will show there's a Dog Warden on Boards. :o.

The fact it's gone from €12.50 to €20 so the fact I have two dogs will up it to €40. That's a nice chunk of walk around money or petrol.

Again people will disagree with me but that's it from my prospective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

My gf has a dog and has a licence. The local inspector has called to her house a couple of times over the past few years - however if she didn't have a licence to begin with I doubt her house would have been checked.

My family had dogs up until about 10 yrs ago and we were never checked and never had a licence. If/when the mandatory chipping is brought in and if it includes the licence fee then I will pay it when/if I get a dog otherwise I will only pay to have my dog chipped and not get a licence. I don't see the point in licences as things stand apart from it being an extra tax on dog owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

yep, you're right, I'm lying, this didn't happen at all. :rolleyes: Funnily enough, most, if not all, of the posters who were involved don't post in this forum anymore.

Absolutely true - members of this forum were treathened with the warden for posting pics of RB dogs without muzzles (myself included). As far as I remember one person was treathened with social services too, for having a pic of his child with a large dog. About the same time I set up a group for RB owners on boards, which now thankfully is a lot quieter because that sort of messing is no longer tolerated.

I have a license for both, only because both are restricted and often walked without muzzles on (dun dun duuuun) so if we were stopped I'd hope that the lack of muzzles might be a warning offence if we show we're responsible owners with our licenses. I don't agree with them though, without proper enforcement and warden services they're not worth the paper they're written on.

I'd happily pay more on my license if it meant we had better services and facilities for our dogs and dogs in general. (incl better PTS rates in pounds).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

My dog is just black and white. Is the license cheaper?

Advertisement