Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have a dog licence?

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

nudger wrote: »
    Received my renewal notice today, have to have it done by a date (a year late) so I guess they are playing hard ball so be warned.
    I'm guessing they will come after people who have payed before and are on the system.
    Bought the licence 2 weeks ago.:confused:

It's like any licensing system, once you're in the system, you're easier to catch!
    Does your renewal notice not have a line on it that says "ignore this if you've already bought a license" or somesuch? The ones up here do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

DBB wrote: »
    It's like any licensing system, once you're in the system, you're easier to catch!
    Does your renewal notice not have a line on it that says "ignore this if you've already bought a license" or somesuch? The ones up here do.

It does, in lighter type but it's funny they didn't send 1 out last year, I had no problems paying it just questioning the efficiency of the licensing now that they have upped the fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

I don't pay the tv one and won't pay the dog one.
    What good reason is there to do it.None.
    It is the same company that you reg your dog with that will come after you for others once they have your address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

If no one payed it then it would not be there.
    Idea no one pay it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Dodd wrote: »
    If no one payed it then it would not be there.
    Idea no one pay it.

Same thing was suggested for the property tax and look how well that plan turned out.

Its €20 a year, not a massive amount. Its an inefficient system no doubt but cant see it changing for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Pixie Chief

I have licences for mine (although now have sneaky suspicion they might be out...runs to check). I deliberately get them because our warden is great. Our pound works really well with the rescues and does what it can. I have even kept a dog here for a week because pound was overflowing, we thought we knew who the owner was and that they were on holidays (we were right) to make sure it would be here when they got home. I know that the money collected doesn't go directly to pay the wages and needs of the pounds (although it should) and some pounds are better than others BUT I keep hoping that if everyone paid then we could argue and protest to have some of them diverted that way. If there is little or no money there then an argument could be made that we don't want a service in case our dogs go missing. I know that either of my babies goes awol that our warden will do everything he can to help me. I would feel terrible not paying the tiny fee to (arguably, right enough) contribute to his wages or the pound.
    Ive got a horse that I dont have the passport for. Its an ex-race horse and the person I got him from was sold him a few years ago, but the original owner left the country and never got around to passing on the passport. The horse is 13 years old. How would I go about getting the passport, or if it turns out there never was one, how do I get one?

If your horse is an ex-racehorse, there is zero chance that it never had a passport. The TB industry has been extraordinarily well organised in this regard for a very long time. The people to contact are Weatherby's on the curragh. You may need to do a DNA test to establish parentage or perhaps you were told it's breeding at the time? Ex-racehorses were frequently sold as sporthorses without their passports as the breeders/trainers/industry would prefer that nobody knew or could trace the fact that they had moved onto a new career. Nothing sinister as such, just that it doesn't do the horses family any good! I'm pretty sure that it would be quicker, cheaper and easier to get a 'parentage unknown' type passport from Horsesport Ireland. However, all TB's are DNA tested at birth and if you would like a passport with the horses proper breeding on it, then Weatherby's are the people to contact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

DBB wrote: »

The Waterford ones want you to contact them and tell them if you no longer have the dog.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

eirator wrote: »
    The Waterford ones want you to contact them and tell them if you no longer have the dog.

That's right, it's the same here. If you don't, you'll keep getting reminders.. and you have to tell them in writing afaik. It's not nice getting a reminder about a dog that has died :-(

Advertisement