Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon brake pads on metal rims

Options
  • 14-06-2013 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So last night in my haste I swapped off my race wheels (carbon) but not the brake pads and rode 35km with carbon pads on metal rims. Can I still use the pads on the race wheels or do I need to get new ones? Any pointers or advice? Cheers.

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

pgibbo wrote: »
    So last night in my haste I swapped off my race wheels (carbon) but not the brake pads and rode 35km with carbon pads on metal rims. Can I still use the pads on the race wheels or do I need to get new ones? Any pointers or advice? Cheers.

P

They are dead Paul.

The issue is shards of aluminium can get embedded in the pads (even tiny barely visible ones) that then rip the carbon fibre to shreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The problem is... your carbon pads will now have tiny flecks of metal embedded in. Apparently if you use these on carbon rims it will grind/wear away the rim quicker.

I wouldn't.. but depens on the pads. If they were BBB pads at 20e for 4 I'd dump them, if they were zipp or swisstop at 60-70e for 4 I might pick out any large chunks of metal I saw and used them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

You can probably just shave the top layer off the pads and I'd imagine they'd be good to go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Cheers guys. They are the ones that came with the wheels and being honest they were crap in the wet at Rosses Point. I might err on the side of caution and buy decent ones. I'll take them off over the weekend and have a look at them.

Given I only used the brake twice on the spin they mightn't be bad but not sure I want to risk messing up the wheels. Could be a costly experiment! :D

Cheers guys. They are the ones that came with the wheels and being honest they were crap in the wet at Rosses Point. I might err on the side of caution and buy decent ones. I'll take them off over the weekend and have a look at them.

Given I only used the brake twice on the spin they mightn't be bad but not sure I want to risk messing up the wheels. Could be a costly experiment! :D

I have spare Shimano carbon specific brake pads if you want them. Use SwisStop yellows ones myself so these are surplus supplied by B2R. Not really sure how its happened but I have loads of brakepads lying around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Cheers BTH. Will arrange when you get back.

All the best next week. :cool: The very best to Michelle and yourself. Have a great day and future together.

Cheers BTH. Will arrange when you get back.

All the best next week. :cool: The very best to Michelle and yourself. Have a great day and future together.

Cheers PG

Advertisement