Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor broadband disconnected!!!

Options
  • 14-06-2013 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi just looking for a bit of advice. My current broadband supplier costs 20 euro a month for 20gb data. Last month I exceeded by 6gb with an extra cost of 140 work so my bill was 160. Contacted them re the bill and informed them that I would not be able to pay this amount. Cancelled the direct debit and paid what I could afford this month which was 30 and was hoping to pay off the remainder over the next few months.
    Today they disconnected me and said that they won't re connect me until a larger amount is paid off and in this case 90. I can't afford this. Told them this and they could do nothing for me. Informed me that if I did not pay the pill I would still be charged 20 euro a month until I could pay the balance off and that they would not be re connecting me. So I would be still paying for a service that they were not providing.
    They said that after a couple of months they would hand over my debt to an outside debt collection agency.
    Can anyone tell me what is the best thing to do here and where do I stand in all of this? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

wilfitz wrote: »
    Hi just looking for a bit of advice. My current broadband supplier costs 20 euro a month for 20gb data. Last month I exceeded by 6gb with an extra cost of 140 work so my bill was 160. Contacted them re the bill and informed them that I would not be able to pay this amount. Cancelled the direct debit and paid what I could afford this month which was 30 and was hoping to pay off the remainder over the next few months.
    Today they disconnected me and said that they won't re connect me until a larger amount is paid off and in this case 90. I can't afford this. Told them this and they could do nothing for me. Informed me that if I did not pay the pill I would still be charged 20 euro a month until I could pay the balance off and that they would not be re connecting me. So I would be still paying for a service that they were not providing.
    They said that after a couple of months they would hand over my debt to an outside debt collection agency.
    Can anyone tell me what is the best thing to do here and where do I stand in all of this? Thanks

To be honest, the best thing you can do is what they ask, to the best of your ability. They are well within their rights, as you used the service and signed into a contract and are liable for the charges. You can't simply cancel a direct debit and pay whatever you feel like whenever you feel like it simply because you used too much bandwidth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭wilfitz

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    To be honest, the best thing you can do is what they ask, to the best of your ability. They are well within their rights, as you used the service and signed into a contract and are liable for the charges. You can't simply cancel a direct debit and pay whatever you feel like whenever you feel like it simply because you used too much bandwidth.

Totally understand that I signed up to the contract and of course I want to pay what I owe. I always have. The simple fact of that matter is that I could not afford to pay that bill. I cancelled the direct debit because there would not have been enough money in the account to pay it and the bank would of charged me for an unpaid direct debit.
    Charges are very unfair and a little bit of give and take in paying back what I owe would of been fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Try to agree a payment plan with meteor but only when they reconnect the service as they cant charge for a service which they are not providing and not allowing you to avail of! If they cant reach agreement with you then just walk away as you can only pay what you can reasonably afford and if they refuse that they cant reasonably expect to win any case in court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I can understand where they are coming from. You used the service and are not paying for it within the terms. You are also contracted to a monthly charge which they can certainly insist on, even when withholding service due to an outstanding debt. They have no way of knowing that you won't do the same thing this, or next, month. That said, phone them and calmly discuss payment terms with them. If the person you are talking to sticks to the standard line then politely ask for a manager. Remain calm and understanding throughout and they probably will strike some sort if deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Your mistake was cancelling the direct debit. This will raise red flags all over the place. They now will have you listed as a possible defaulter and they won't reconnect you until you pay the bulk of the outstanding bill

• Advertisement

MajorMax wrote: »
    Your mistake was cancelling the direct debit. This will raise red flags all over the place. They now will have you listed as a possible defaulter and they won't reconnect you until you pay the bulk of the outstanding bill

I had no choice but to cancel the direct debit. I am with them 18 months now and never once missed a payment. I'll contact them again and see if we can come to some sort of an agreement. If not I think I'll let them take me to court and see how that works out. Hopefully common sense will prevail and surely I can't be expected to pay for a service that they are not providing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I think I'll let them take me to court and see how that works out.

The last thing you want is a Judgement against you, that will haunt you for years, you owe the €160, you've €30 paid off. Don't budge for a week and just clear it off an be done with it.

I had no choice but to cancel the direct debit. I am with them 18 months now and never once missed a payment. I'll contact them again and see if we can come to some sort of an agreement. If not I think I'll let them take me to court and see how that works out. Hopefully common sense will prevail and surely I can't be expected to pay for a service that they are not providing.

Yes you can be expected to pay for a service they are refusing to supply you with because you are not paying for it. You are in contract. Contract means you pay for it whether you like it or not.

Just like when you enter a bill phone contract for say 24 months, when you cancel early they take the remainder of monthly payments for the contract. As in, if you only had it for two months, they would take the other 22. That's life, and if your attitude is waiting for a court case, then they are right not to give you leeway.

Yes you can be expected to pay for a service they are refusing to supply you with because you are not paying for it. You are in contract. Contract means you pay for it whether you like it or not.

Just like when you enter a bill phone contract for say 24 months, when you cancel early they take the remainder of monthly payments for the contract. As in, if you only had it for two months, they would take the other 22. That's life, and if your attitude is waiting for a court case, then they are right not to give you leeway.

As I replied to you earlier I want to pay for what I owe and for the duration of the contract but the fact of the matter is I cannot afford to pay for it in full at the moment. If I have no Internet they are not providing me with a service. Thanks for all your help anyway and I hope life treats you good!

As I replied to you earlier I want to pay for what I owe and for the duration of the contract but the fact of the matter is I cannot afford to pay for it in full at the moment. If I have no Internet they are not providing me with a service. Thanks for all your help anyway and I hope life treats you good!

Yes but if you are in contract with them, you agreed to pay for the service for a specified length of time. So the fact that they have cut you off is not an excuse to get out of paying for the rest of your contract. What I am trying to say, and what I dont think you get, is that they ARE entitled to charge you for every month even though they have cut off your service. You don't have an arguing point in this regard.

• Advertisement

Sorry if someone told you the truth and you don't like it. Read the terms of the contract. You used a huge volume of product and must pay for it. You can't afford it. Fine. Don't use so much. You undertook a contract and must honour it. They have every right to deny service as things stand. Cancelling the DD was a big mistake as well. Phone them and throw yourself at their mercy but don't take it out on people giving correct advice after you asked for it.

Yes but if you are in contract with them, you agreed to pay for the service for a specified length of time. So the fact that they have cut you off is not an excuse to get out of paying for the rest of your contract. What I am trying to say, and what I dont think you get, is that they ARE entitled to charge you for every month even though they have cut off your service. You don't have an arguing point in this regard.

I know what a contract is and I know that they ARE entitled to charge and yes I do get what you are trying to say. I came on here asking for some advice, some practicable advice. Not a lecture on the ins and outs of contracts.

Sorry if someone told you the truth and you don't like it. Read the terms of the contract. You used a huge volume of product and must pay for it. You can't afford it. Fine. Don't use so much. You undertook a contract and must honour it. They have every right to deny service as things stand. Cancelling the DD was a big mistake as well. Phone them and throw yourself at their mercy but don't take it out on people giving correct advice after you asked for it.

Not taking it out on anyone. I'm annoyed over the whole thing. To be charged eight times your monthly commitment is a big ask off of anyone. Prior to the big bill I spoke with a meteor rep and queried my data usage to make sure that I was not close to exceeding as I was aware of the extortionate charges these companies charge when you go over. The rep told me I should be fine. I can't understand why my usage went over that month as I did not do anything different from previous months but I did. I excepted this and all I was looking for was a bit of help in paying this off. I spoke to an arrogant rep after getting this bill and left me with no option to stop the DD as I would not have been able to pay it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

If they don't reconnect you and still charge take then to the small claims court for breach of contract.

If they don't reconnect you and still charge take then to the small claims court for breach of contract.

How is the this breach of contract? Standard contracts like this allow for termination of service due to non payment with balance of contract payments due. He has no case. What criteria do you give for a claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

False info. Do not listen. They can take the OP to court for lack of payment. Works both ways!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Won't work, they didn't breach the contract, the OP did. Small claims court is not the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sb123

I read the OP with interest today. I too am on meteor broadband for 3 years and have paid 20 euro a month until today's bill arrived in the post for over 100 euro. I can't explain this increase in usage and have issued a formal complaint to meteor for 3 reasons
    1. No notification of increase in usage to allow me to verify or manage my bill
    2. Unreasonably arduous as a customer to review and manage usage. Paper bill does not total usage but gives reams of numbers of megabytes used. Customer service rep could total the extra 4gb usage in a matter of seconds.
    3. I was informed today that there is an 'unlimited' plan with 50gb fair usage limit for an extra 5 euro per month. Seems like the logical next step given such a steep bill. However, it will be 10th July before I'm switched to it. I'm over 20gb this month in 8 days!!! So i have broadband wifi switched off.

I am now thinking it may be that meteor has been miscalculating usage.

I am extremely irate.

Anyone else suspect their meteor usage has not been accurately calculated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

sb123 wrote: »
    I read the OP with interest today. I too am on meteor broadband for 3 years and have paid 20 euro a month until today's bill arrived in the post for over 100 euro. I can't explain this increase in usage and have issued a formal complaint to meteor for 3 reasons
    2. Unreasonably arduous as a customer to review and manage usage. Paper bill does not total usage but gives reams of numbers of megabytes used. Customer service rep could total the extra 4gb usage in a matter of seconds.
    3. I was informed today that there is an 'unlimited' plan with 50gb fair usage limit for an extra 5 euro per month. Seems like the logical next step given such a steep bill. However, it will be 10th July before I'm switched to it. I'm over 20gb this month in 8 days!!! So i have broadband wifi switched off.

I am extremely irate.

It is very possible that there was issues with some masts and the usage for customers has been calculated incorrectly or that a connection was opened and data leaked through it somehow for hours till you went over the limit.

Meteor will never admit this though although they have had similar glitches in the past

sb123 wrote: »

I am extremely irate.

Don't blame you for bring irate. I was pretty irate myself. It's daylight robbery the charges for exceeding your data limit. I can't understand how I went over either but customer care don't give a f***. I sorted mine out with them today. That 50gb for an extra €5 sounds appealing. I think I'll inquire about this tomorrow. Hope you get sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement