Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new horse - anyone ever feel like a beginner again

Options
  • 14-06-2013 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi All,
    still in the very early stages of getting to know my gelding, just wondering if any of you ever felt like you knew nothing again when you got a new horse? just have days were I feel like a total beginner again, have days were even an active walk can be challenging with him. have also had days were we click, just wondering if others often felt this way.

Had a private lesson like week and we just worked on walking, half halts, rising trot - man I felt like I was back at beginner level. What was more embarrrasing was the hawkers at the side of the arena looking on and then the young kids flying around in there lessons, and me just plodding along. it will get easier wont it..........................:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ailbheg

Yep, I was the same, don't lose hope, it takes time to get used to them. For the first while, despite having felt like we "clicked" when I tried him, I thought I'd never get used to my gelding. (Almost 7 years on and I still have him, and it has gotten easier)

Is he your first horse? It's a big step from riding a school horse to owning and riding your own horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 adamant3

yes he is my first horse, have had 2 other horses on livery and think as they were school horses I was spoilt so having to work hard with this one. I know it will be worth it in the end, but it is challenging but i know it will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

dont take it too bad... i was extremely advanced up until 3 years ago when i had a bad fall and cracked a vertebrae. I gave it up for 2 years and had a first spin on my dads hunter at xmas.... I actually broke and schooled the horse for him when i was barely a teenager but was petrified even jumping a small drain

• Registered Users Posts: 26 adamant3

dont take it too bad... i was extremely advanced up until 3 years ago when i had a bad fall and cracked a vertebrae. I gave it up for 2 years and had a first spin on my dads hunter at xmas.... I actually broke and schooled the horse for him when i was barely a teenager but was petrified even jumping a small drain

Well done getting back out there and riding again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Op we all have those days, it's like ten steps forward and twenty back. I was 11 yrs out if saddle after fracturing my neck. Bought a 4 yo last year and the first 9 mths were testing to say the least, plenty of falls and tears on my part. However past 5 mths we have really come on after alot of determination and trust in each other. We still have our bad days but have come along way. Chin up , keep going and you will get there.
    adamant3 wrote: »
    Well done getting back out there and riding again :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement